• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 30, 2020

    Home Improvement: We used the quarantine to turn our garage from a cluttered mess into my dream Workout Workshop

    Home Improvement: We used the quarantine to turn our garage from a cluttered mess into my dream Workout Workshop


    We used the quarantine to turn our garage from a cluttered mess into my dream Workout Workshop

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 02:17 PM PDT

    Our garage had turned into a cluttered, nasty mess. We used the time spent at home during quarantine to turn it into my dream mancave / workshop / workout room

    I've been a huge racing fan all my life especially F1 and Motogp, so we wanted to add a little of that to the build. I think it came out pretty good, and we learned a ton throughout the build.

    Strap in, it's a long one.

    Let me know what you think

    Build Gallery

    submitted by /u/Chipomat
    [link] [comments]

    My my, how things escalate.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:17 AM PDT

    Quick rundown: Our house was built in 1998, was owned and cared for by a single family until a bad divorce and the house was left to go to shit. Bank foreclosed and did some quick and dirty updates to make it presentable for sale. We come in 2 years ago and buy it.

    Part of what the bank did was place non-waterproof vinyl tiles on top of waterproof rolled vinyl, but not before putting a wood underlayment down first. Queue a dishwasher leak and the new underlayment start bubbling like crazy. We also got a new puppy who LLOOVVEESS peeing on carpet.

    So, time for new floors (about 1650 sq/ft total), and hell, might as well replace the trim while we're at it. After a lot of research and finding some amazing 3rd party reviews and videos we settled on Pergo Outlast+ waterproof laminate. Four pallets arrived and I brought in about 25 boxes from the garage to acclimate.

    We started in the easy rooms, a carpeted living room and dining room. This went to plan, fairly painlessly.

    https://imgur.com/lhPvKaW

    https://imgur.com/ioJIa4S

    https://imgur.com/X5piWLz

    Time to move on to the hard floor areas where the bank laid the non-waterproof tiles. First, we had to pull up the tiles which were all glued down. This actually wasn't terrible, it just took some muscle. But once those tiles were lifted we had to remove the new wood underlayment.

    Taking up the new wood underlayment meant pulling staples. STAPLES FOR DAYYYYS. Literally, THOUSANDS of staples. This is from maybe a 3x3 area and the whole hard floor area is around 600sq/ft. And once the new underlayment was pulled, there was the rolled vinyl and ANOTHER layer of underlayment with even more staples into the subfloor.

    The bank's contractors had removed some of the original floor before putting down the "new" crap tiles and to transition to where they left the old flooring they laid down a ramp of cement, so that needed to be bashed up.

    We then found that there's a leak at the front door so the frame, sidelights, and door need to be replaced along with the new subfloor replacement. We had a hunch we'd be doing this anyway because of signs of dry rot on the outside.

    So we made plans to get the front door replaced and floor repaired and I started running the new floor from the finished area into the kitchen. Almost as soon as this process started, I remembered that our cabinets are crap and we had planned on replacing them in a couple years. However, if we were to do that and the new ones didn't line up with the new floor, we'd be back into replacing floor. Screw that, time for new cabinets.

    HOWEVER, since the new floor is floating it can't be mounted under the cabinets so after talking with a kitchen designer to start the new cabinet process, we're looking at living with bare subfloor until potentially September, which of course has the possibility of going longer. What this means is basically that I'm more or less on hold until the kitchen remodel is completed, save for the bathroom and office which can be done aside from the main areas.

    TL;DR -

    Our new floor project turned into:

    • Floor
    • Trim
    • Drywall patching
    • Paint (of course)
    • Pre-hung front door
    • Subfloor replacement
    • Dishwasher
    • Oven (because may as well)
    • Toilet
    • Vanity
    • New cabinets, counters, sink, and island
    • Backsplash
    • And, an extended timeline that leaves us with bare subfloor for the remainder of the summer and possibly into the fall.

    Isn't being a homeowner great!?

    Oh, I forgot, all this while I'm also trying to fix my car on the side.

    submitted by /u/___cats___
    [link] [comments]

    This is a story all about how I bought some doors that were upside down...

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    So let me take a minute, just sit right there...and tell you all about the time I made the repair.

    https://imgur.com/a/TdkCO3u - here!

    Long story short - I found some solid core shaker doors on FB Marketplace fr $25 a piece...based on the listing it seemed like nothing was wrong. Once I got them home, I realized the previous owner had installed them upside down!

    I decided to patch and repair rather than pout...ended up being a learning experience in patience. Glad I did it! They look great at a fraction of the cost.

    submitted by /u/cooltapes
    [link] [comments]

    The Laws of Home Improvement

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 11:50 AM PDT

    1. Whatever project you are doing, chances are very good *something* unexpected or unplanned will happen. Usually you'll find a new problem you have to fix first before doing the original project.
    2. Every project has at least one very frustrating element to it (removal of a part, tight space, etc.)
    3. You'll get injured somehow (be it a scratch or limb dismemberment).
    4. The project will end up taking far longer and costing more than you planned.
    5. Half of whatever research you did for the project will go out the window.
    6. You'll resort to brute force at some point, not caring about the extra work after just so long as you get that FLIPPIN' PART OUT!
    7. You'll make a dumb mistake and kick yourself for it (or, worse, your significant other will point it out, in which case you'll throw your wrench through a window).
    8. You'll make 3 trips to the hardware store for things you need or forgot. Or both. Or you got the wrong thing/size. You'll also buy a tool you'll only use maybe once or twice.
    9. You'll half-ass some parts of the project, past the point of caring and just wanting it DONE.
    10. You wish you called the pros.
    submitted by /u/Waffler11
    [link] [comments]

    I want to get some LEDs for my room but I dont like the pixely look they give

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:25 PM PDT

    Is there any sort of light diffusion I could put over them that isnt a hard case?
    Something DIY? I've seen people recommend using thin sheet foam but I can't seem to find any locally. What else could I try?

    submitted by /u/oobctt
    [link] [comments]

    Where to get bottom door sweeps like these?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    I realized that only one side of my patio french doors have bottom sweeps for weatherstripping, so pulled it apart to see what they looked like.

    Images (sorry for quality)

    Does anyone know where to get more door sweeps like these? I am searching online but cannot find this style.

    They are U-shaped, have dual T-shaped slot channels, and are about 1-1/4" wide total.

    I thought at first they looked like Pease Style Sweeps, but realized the insert shape is different.

    Thank you, any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/bosun120
    [link] [comments]

    Bubbling on newly installed laminate floors?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Is this normal? It only really show at certain angles/lighting. We acclimated it for 3-4 days. I checked all the ones that are still on the stack, and they all have these veiny bubbly looking things.

    In the first pic its completely unnoticeable. While the 2nd highlights everything!

    https://ibb.co/s156TWg

    https://ibb.co/6wyyQn0

    submitted by /u/s00009
    [link] [comments]

    I am trying to find a similar or new version of this cabinet door hinge. Any ideas on what kind this is? Photo linked

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:32 PM PDT

    Advice needed: I need the stickiest tape possible so I can get fiberglass fibers out of cloth.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:27 PM PDT

    Tl;dr my old mattress infected my room with fiberglass, now I need to get it out of some clothes, what tape can lift it? I don't know what other sub to post this in, any suggestions would be great.

    Longer story:

    I'm in the middle of a room overhaul, because my bedroom has been the same for about 15 years. I had one of those Zinus memory foam mattresses, gently used by a friend who bought it and had to switch to a smaller bed. I wanted to remove it, because the foam had started breaking down. While lifting it up, the cover caught on a metal piece of the frame and ripped. Like, ripped big time. It had about 14 inches of exposed mattress and left a big flap of fabric hanging off. I had two strong fans blowing in my room and was unaware of a layer of fiberglass between the cover and mattress.

    I started finding tufts of white, shiny fibers in chunks on my floor within an hour after the mattress came out. As I started wiping down my walls to prep them for primer, I noticed that there was a weird glittery substance all over the place. It had covered everything, and I figured out after some googling what had happened. I'm using tack cloth to get it off of solid surfaces (my bookcase, books, movies, etc.), throwing out anything I can't salvage. The issue is now my clothes. My closet doors were wide open and I keep my clothes on exposed shelves. Between when the mattress was removed and my discovering the issue, I had washed almost all of my clothes and it resulted in everything getting contaminated.

    I'm fine with losing most of my clothes, it's basic stuff and graphic tees I'm probably too old to be wearing, but I have some stuff that's important to me. I tried using Gorilla tape, which worked well on one jacket, but I have a really old sweatshirt that had a fleecy lining that's since toughened up a bit but is still thick enough that the Gorilla tape isn't grabbing the fiberglass. Is there, I don't know, a stickier tape I could use? At this point, I'll even deal with adhesive residue as long as it gets rid of this stuff. I basically need to make an industrial strength lint roller.

    Any other advice would be appreciated on how to handle fiberglass contamination. I'm pretty new to home improvement and DIY stuff, and I've read stories of this kind of thing running people out of their homes.

    submitted by /u/Lady-Leporidae
    [link] [comments]

    Are you able to monitor via Ring Doorbell, even if a visitor doesn't press the doorbell button?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 04:17 AM PDT

    Are you able to monitor via Ring Doorbell, even if a visitor doesn't press the doorbell button?

    In other words, is there a way to manually show a live feed of your front door from your phone, without having a stranger press on the doorbell?

    submitted by /u/redditdave
    [link] [comments]

    How to extend fence posts to hang patio string lights?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:28 PM PDT

    Wanting to add some patio string lighting over our patio. Our existing fence has 4x4 fence posts with an ornamental top thing. What would be the best way to either extend a pole or attach a rod to the fence that would be sturdy and wouldn't look like total crap?

    Thought about sawing off the ornamental top of the post and fixing something to that but not sure what or how or if that's necessary.

    Also, what would anyone recommend I do to power them? There are currently no external outlets on the garage but I'm definitely open to wiring one - or do I hardwire them in?

    Photos of the patio and posts here.

    submitted by /u/SmokinSkinWagon
    [link] [comments]

    I want to soundproof a door, any ideas?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 03:21 PM PDT

    I got a door in my bedroom that connects to my flatmates room and it's quite thin. We both don't really mind, since we are good friends, but our partners would appreciate a little bit of soundproofing.

    https://imgur.com/ErPSV2Q

    The door has the dimensions 2,4m high, 1,4m wide and about 10cm deep (of doorframe to the door)

    The easy way would be to stick some panels on there, but our landlord expressed his discontent with essentially glueing his door shut. Do you guys have an idea to soundproof, without it being permanent or difficult to remove?

    submitted by /u/Opilator
    [link] [comments]

    Skylight heating up our house.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    We have a skylight thats in our kitchen which is pretty open to the rest of the living area. I use our temp gun today and at the ceiling entrance into the skylight it was right at 100F!!! Other than filling in the area with insulation and blocking it off, any other ways to prevent that heat from entering into my house?

    submitted by /u/clear831
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be okay if caulk this crack to prevent ants from. I'm worried that by some chance, the crack is there for a reason.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    Can I put water in an empty sump pit

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 02:21 PM PDT

    Have a portable basement dehumidifier running 24/7

    I've been dumping the basket of water round the clock, so I'd prefer to swap to the hose for constant drainage.

    Problem is, there's nowhere to drain in the basement. There's a sump pit, but no pump (it's always been dry). Can I drain the dehumidifier water into that pit? Or is that going to cause problems without a pump?

    submitted by /u/Rotishery
    [link] [comments]

    Help: How to get cigarette smell out of duct work??

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 04:56 PM PDT

    Long story short, we bought a flip that was previously owned by a smoker and even after the flip (realtor flipped it), the smell of stale cigarette lingers.

    We've repainted the entire interior with BINZ + top coat, ran ozone for 2 hours, and even ran ozone for an hour into the vents with AC running.

    It's flipping hot here, but I'm terrified to run the AC because it still pumps out stale cigarette smoke and I don't want to go through the process of professionally cleaning everything we own again. (Not to mention the health risks).

    We have an appointment to get the AC coil cleaned, but it's not for another two weeks. Also can smell it when just the fan runs so not sure if that's the source.

    What else can I do? Recommendations? Anyone deal with this and find a solution?

    Hot, irritated, and ready to move.

    Edited to add: we already had the ducts professionally cleaned and carpets are brand new. Specifically asking about vents because that is where the smell is coming from.

    submitted by /u/OldMushroom9
    [link] [comments]

    New Minisplit: Electrician mistake in wiring

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    I hired an electrician to wire my MrCool DIY mini split multi zone system after I installed the whole system. I wired in one set of communicating wires for the first zone. In left the second zone unhooked because it is in the way of the power connections. He installed the emergency cut off, wired it all to my breaker box then flipped on the power. I told him I wasn't finished connecting the second comm wired so he flipped it back off and went home. I then went into the condenser unit to finish up the job and noticed he wired up the 240v wires to the comms points. I snapped a pic of his work, removed his wires, put then where they are supposed to go (black wire to L1 white wire to L2). Wired up my comm wires appropriately and I'm getting a P6 error code and no cold air from either handle. How screwed am I?

    submitted by /u/Jamesboach
    [link] [comments]

    Could anyone tell me why this hose would be releasing a steady trickle of water while my central AC runs?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    My central AC unit connects to the HVAC system in the basement. I believe this hose is to get rid of condensation from the central AC unit. Today there was a steady trickle of water coming out of the hose. So much that it created a small puddle and filled the space under the cinder blocks in the picture. I turned off the AC and the water stopped shortly after.

    Today was not an exceptionally warm day (80 degrees, medium humidity) but the AC has been set to 67 degrees for about a week.

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/9PESNq7

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/-badwithwords-
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on how to level a bed in a 100 year old house with crooked floors?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:54 PM PDT

    Basically my house has super wobbly floors, and my bed is very crooked and not leveled. And of course I have one of those beds with like 12 little supporting poles underneath it. A while back I bought a box of wooden shims and just kept tucking them underneath the feet until it appeared level. It works, however they're impossible to keep dust off of and look fugly.

    I was wondering if there's some sort of better solution. Like do I make a little wooden ramp? Or should I get maybe some vinyl shim alternative?

    And when I mean the floor is not balanced, The headboard side is like 5in lower then where the feet are.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/rastacola
    [link] [comments]

    Is this confirmed mouse poop?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    I have a feeling it is, but I'm not 100% sure. Took a look behind my drawers to clean and found this sight:

    https://i.imgur.com/MJhbvpm.jpg

    Home had a mouse problem about 2 years ago where 5 or 6 mice were caught. All the holes (at least I hope all) were plugged then and it seemed they were gone. If this is mouse poop, is there any way it could be left over from back then? I don't think I cleaned behind this drawer, so really holding onto a last scrap of hope here :(

    The poop was also really hard when poked

    submitted by /u/dontwantittobethat
    [link] [comments]

    Building a fence against a neighbors fence

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:29 PM PDT

    Hey yall,

    Trying to get some tips or guides on how to build a fence against a neighbors chain link fence. I've already talked to them and they told me they aren't interested in tearing theirs down.

    I'm building a 6 ft privacy solid wood fence. How should I go about laying the 2x4s and pickets if I can't amount them on the front of the post facing my neighbors property?

    submitted by /u/guillermoftw
    [link] [comments]

    Attic insulation

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    I bought a new house on November, and during the inspection I was informed that the attic above the single story part of my home has very little insulation. The winter was fine, because I like it pretty cool inside.

    Summer rolls around, and my fairly AC unit is really astruggling to keep that part of the house cool, and I'm almost 100% sure it's the insulation (or lack thereof)

    When I asked the inspector he told me that it would probably cost ~$5k to get insulation blown in (for probably about 800sq ft of attic space).

    Now, I've done the math, and it seems like the majority of the cost is in labor. Am I wrong in thinking that I could just buy the blow-in type insulation and toss it up there and spread it myself?

    Does anyone have experience/words of wisdom/warnings for me?

    submitted by /u/canonanon
    [link] [comments]

    Deck Question: Ledger Board Crisis

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    So, this one is full of mystery.

    About a year ago, I bought a roughly 35 year old home with a lot of quirks. I didn't imagine that I would run into one like this though. I've got a contractor who is working on rebuilding and expanding a large, 30 year old, second story deck. He pulled the old one down and put up a new ledger board exactly where the old one was. However, he was having trouble getting the lags to hit anything so he opened up the T1-11 siding to take a look inside.

    Surprise! The second story, 30 foot long deck was held up for 30 years by absolutely nothing but a few dozen nails, sunk through T1-11 siding and floating in the air.

    https://imgur.com/ylsjAew

    So now we've got a new dilemma. There is an addition to the regular house that is slightly lower than the main house and has an exterior door that leads out to the deck. The location of the original ledger board is not usable in a traditional sense, but raising or lowering it would put it significantly out of alignment with the exterior door that opens to the deck. There are also windows in the way of being able to lower the height of the deck, so the only option there would be to raise it up, which would mean the deck would partially cover the door (not a reasonable option).

    So, here is where I ask the hivemind a key question:

    One option that we have is to sink the lag screws into the vertical studs behind the original ledger board location, rather than the horizontal bottom plate which is out of reach. Is there any reason at all that we shouldn't do that?

    submitted by /u/International-Oven89
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment