• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 30, 2020

    Home security: Help! Where should I install a new outdoor camera? We had one close to our backdoor, but the deck railing blocks activity in the yard, which is more important to monitor. (we are working to replace the fence.) Any advice appreciated. Considering IeGeek or Heim cameras.

    Home security: Help! Where should I install a new outdoor camera? We had one close to our backdoor, but the deck railing blocks activity in the yard, which is more important to monitor. (we are working to replace the fence.) Any advice appreciated. Considering IeGeek or Heim cameras.


    Help! Where should I install a new outdoor camera? We had one close to our backdoor, but the deck railing blocks activity in the yard, which is more important to monitor. (we are working to replace the fence.) Any advice appreciated. Considering IeGeek or Heim cameras.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    Avoid SimpliSafe! Worst customer experience I've ever faced

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 06:07 PM PDT

    Trying to spread the word and my experience so hopefully I help a couple of people avoid making the same mistake of ordering from SimpliSafe.

    Placed an order with SimpliSafe over the weekend, got order confirmation, charged my card, thought we were good to go.

    Waited a couple of days for a tracking number or update, but nothing. Their site said it shipped but didn't provide a tracking number, so I asked over email. I got a long response a day later, saying a lot of nothing. Pretty much told me my order was 'under review' and I had to call in.

    Almost 2 hours later, and transferred 5 times, and explained my situation 5 times. At the end of the first 1.5 hour phone call, I got some guy named Phil on the phone that pretty much told me there's nothing he could do for me and said the order was under "FBI review for 48 hours" for some reason. I'm doubting the FBI has time to waste on a $200 transaction on a debit card, or they'd review it that quickly.. but that's besides the point.

    Tried to call back two minutes later to see if I could get someone else on the phone that can actually help.. and they blocked my number. Had to call from my wife's phone to get back on the line with someone. This time, explained what I've been through to the first person that answered. He actually sympathized with me and got right in touch with his supervisor. The supervisor was somehow able to cancel the non-cancellable (according to Phil) order.

    Still haven't received any email confirming it's cancelled, guess I'll have to follow up later, but hopefully the nightmare of SimipliSafe is over. And hopefully this post helps someone somewhere avoid this awful company.

    submitted by /u/simplinotsafe
    [link] [comments]

    New Rental Vandalized

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    We moved into a new rental home about a month ago and have heard from the neighbors that the previous tenants (evicted) were "rough" and based on the condition of the house, I believe it fully. It was covered in broken glass, debris, graffiti, etc. when we moved in. There is a video doorbell in place that doesn't function. Not sure of the brand.

    The property management finally corrected (most of) the issues. A few nights ago we were on the couch downstairs and heard the garage door opening/closing a couple times. I thought that someone on the street behind ours must have a similar frequency or something. We started keeping it locked and I mostly forgot about it. But then our house was vandalized again in the middle of the day yesterday when we were home. The graffiti looks verrrrry similar to the previous graffiti except there is a lot more of it. No legible words or tags, just vandalism for the sake of vandalism.

    Our front door is on the side of the house in an alcove so there really Isn't a good spot for a doorbell camera that would catch anything unless the vandals were directly at the door; however, our neighbor has a Ring that points directly at the pathway to our front door.

    I don't know if the vandals used a WiFi jammer or if it is coincidence that her Ring didn't capture any video of the vandalism. They are out of town camping but she was kind enough to let me log in and Ring gives an error for any video during the time of the vandalism. It shows motion detected around 1 pm but the video says "processing please try later."

    If the previous tenants (or their unsavory friends) are targeting the house I feel like it will only get worse.

    We are looking for non-WiFi cameras that cannot be jammed and will still alert us to motion or visitors. With video backup and a phone live stream. Audio recording is a plus.

    TL;DR: We think previous tweaker tenants are targeting our house. Our neighbor's Ring camera (aimed directly at the graffiti area) was disabled at the time of the vandalism. Our garage door opens and closes itself. Need non wifi security cameras that still stream to phone.

    submitted by /u/kellimoxie
    [link] [comments]

    Bought my first camera but live view freezes.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    I decided to go with the Annke C800 and temporary set it up today to watch for a delivery but the live view keeps freezes for a second when viewing the main stream. Not sure if I set it up wrong, or its going through the internet to view the live stream (was hoping since it's on the network it was more of a direct connection. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Heavenswake_
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Server - ARC (alarm receiving center) and SIP

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:36 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I own an personal home alarm which use ARC Protocol to forward alerts.

    Indeed, when alarm is triggered I only get a phone call without information.

    I alreay have a personal server (Proxmox and few docker instances) at home,so, I would like to install a SIP Server with an additional software in order to create my own ARC.

    These proctols could be use :

    • Fast Format 4.8.1
    • Fast Format 6.8.1.
    • Fast Format 4.16.1.
    • Fast Format 6.16.1.
    • RS232 Tx.
    • SIA Level 1.
    • SIA 3.
    • Contact ID.
    • SMS Message.
    • SMS-UBS.

    I don't know if a software solution exist, could you help me ?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Rsptsa
    [link] [comments]

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PidiWcB0tmI

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 12:37 AM PDT

    How bright of lights can I install on my house?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 12:26 AM PDT

    Before I begin, I live across from an elementary school. My only neighbors are to the left and right of my house. Across the street is the "field" section of the school property (small soccer field, playground), with almost no illumination aside from the building iteself. The area has become a hot-spot for sketchy people to park because its so dark. Two weeks ago, it was a couple shooting heroin while two toddlers bounced around in the back of the car. Three nights ago, it was an attempted home invasion (my security door stopped them). I'm curious what the law is regarding how bright of lights I can legally install on my house without having the police called for them causing a disturbance. I have no problem blasting flood lights 24/7; I want the area in front of my house to be the most hostile environment for the people who have been coming here lately. Thank you all in advance.

    submitted by /u/svntysx
    [link] [comments]

    Best cameras with thermal detection

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 12:11 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I am looking to invest in some cameras for my house. My friend has some Hikvision cameras and he always complains about waking up with like 100+ notifications on his phone due to things like insects flying by or leaves blowing. He said that with the current pixel based motion detection, I would be just as annoyed as he is. He said to go with thermal detection and I would be able to truly distinguish between a human and a bird, for example.

    That being said, what are some good cameras with thermal detection. I am looking for 8MP+ at 8K resolution so I can view faces and license plates. I will need to be putting these cameras probably 30 feet up since that's where the attic is. HOA will not let me run conduit even if I paint it the house's color.

    submitted by /u/Comprehensive-Ad4519
    [link] [comments]

    NVR pre-installed with Blue Iris?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I read good things about this Blue Iris software. I tried watching some tutorials on YouTube and it's way too technical and time consuming for me. My NVR works fine as is, but I lurking through this subreddit, I can see that Blue Iris is the software of choice.

    I am looking for an NVR or computer that has Blue Iris already set up so I can just plug in a switch and plug in my cameras to those and be good.

    Does such a thing exist?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Adventurous_Ad6840
    [link] [comments]

    Help securing a rental door (with minimal damage to molding/floor/etc)

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 08:17 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment