• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 1, 2020

    Home Improvement: Fun with Angie's List

    Home Improvement: Fun with Angie's List


    Fun with Angie's List

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    Created an account on Angie's List, found three contractors for my job, all three texted me promptly. The job is small, about $1K-2K and should take about 1-3 days. I sent each the same photos of the job and answered their questions. I also invited them to visit the site and none were interested. Here's what happened:

    Contractor #1: texted me an amount to do the job. I requested a proposal with estimated completion date, warranty, proof of insurance. He emailed me a professional-looking proposal with all that information. No problem.

    Contractor #2: texted me an amount to do the job. I requested the same info as above. He wrote back "I stay until the job is finished, no one complains, I have a good reputation. Why do you want a proposal? Are we getting married?"

    Contractor #3: texted me an amount to do the job. I requested the same info as above. He responded with a text calling me a completely different name than I gave Angie's List and asking for my email address because he lost it. Eventually he wrote back "Are you wanting us to do the job or just wanting a proposal to comparison (sic) with other estimates?"

    I conclude that business is good and they can operate like this while still making money.

    submitted by /u/AddYourPunHere
    [link] [comments]

    I noticed that the hole where the AC lines run is open. I have a can of 1” expanding foam. Can I just fill it in?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 05:17 PM PDT

    Why are toolchests so damn much money?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:44 AM PDT

    $900 for a 46" chest? Costco had a deal on a 42" one which immediately went out of stock and they refused to have rainchecks. Years ago I bought a walmart special which I have both outgrown and which literally had a drawer bend. I can understand why $250 might be too little, but I see 36" at Home Depot for $650 and they don't seem to be any better quality than the Walmart one...so then I go to the next better quality and we are at $900. Sigh.

    Maybe this is just a complaint/commiserating post, but if anyone has some insight on a good tool chest in the 42" range (plus or minus a bit), that is cheaper than my computer, I would appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/0ttr
    [link] [comments]

    What’s your biggest home improvement fail?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    Curious what DIY jobs others have messed up. Mine is almost starting a fire with a bad wiring job.

    submitted by /u/D-chord
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to set up ~15 doors for painting?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    I've got about 15 interior doors to paint. I'm using brush and roller, no sprayer. What's the most efficient way to physically set them up? Current plan is to lay doors on the floor, using Painter's Pyramids under each. However, I am 8.5 months pregnant and that sounds like sooo much bending. Plus it takes up a lot of floor space. Any more vertical ideas?

    submitted by /u/aab173
    [link] [comments]

    EasyClosets vs. Elfa vs. Something Else?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    I'm looking to buy a custom closet system, and I wonder which system is better than the others in terms of price and quality. The system I want is something with mostly rods to hang clothes, with 30% shelves and a couple of drawers. My budget is around $3-4k for a 7x11 closet. I have also looked into Dotted Line as well, but it seems that the quality isn't as good.

    If you have experience with these systems, please share with me what you like and don't like. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/catsmom585
    [link] [comments]

    Replacement door knobs without chiseling out the door?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    https://m.imgur.com/otKudOi

    That is how every single interior door is in our house. I've replaced one of the knobs (they are very poor quality and we wanted one that locked for the basement) and I had to mark and chisel out the rectangular plate where the latch is because I couldn't find any door knobs that just had the circular opening.

    We are looking at replacing all the knobs but would rather find direct replacements then have to chisel and cut each door to accommodate a standard knob.

    I've searched and can't seem to find this type of knob. Is it common? Is there a name?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/HCJohnson
    [link] [comments]

    New to home improvement. Can this closet door be replaced with a normal door ?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    Hi, just bought a town house and not really liking this closet door. can this style of closet door be replaced with a normal door ? Or a similar closet door that has no vents ? Prerably something solid like a normal door. The dimensions are approximately 80x33.

    If so could someone point me in the right direction ? I'd be grateful for any help since this would be my first project and first time doing any sort of home improvement.

    https://imgur.com/a/WxjJZRQ

    submitted by /u/JSFeliciano013
    [link] [comments]

    Garage- dry wall suggests

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/QrQB40m

    Any suggestions on what to do with the drywall edge on the cinder block? Looking to make the garage look cleaner more livable. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/txrig-72
    [link] [comments]

    Grouting question?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:36 PM PDT

    I'm grouting my shower tomorrow and want to know in the corners and where the tile meets the shower pan - do I put grout or caulk and of caulk to I use the mapei product?

    I can't find an answer anywhere - thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/golfguy1984
    [link] [comments]

    Ugh, so much lost closet space.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    I have a coat closet and our master bedroom closet where the doors open into the closet. I'm very close to taking the doors off with a plan to eventually reinstall them so that they open out. Ideally, I'd put up barn doors but there's no room for them to slide open. That's all, I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/teauxni
    [link] [comments]

    Staining a deck - second coat

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I partially stained by deck about a month and a half ago. I couldn't finish because I ran out of stain. So now, my deck is partially stained (a portion of the railing is not stained and neither are the steps).

    I'd like to apply a second coat on the entire deck. My question is, how should I prepare the deck? Should I clean it with anything? Or just get a deck brush and wipe the area?

    I'd appreciate any tips!

    Bonus question: What are your thoughts on using a paint/stain sprayer vs using a paint brush? My railings have a bunch of nooks and crannies so I bought a spray gun to help. Also, what do you use to stain the area between the deck boards?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/evb27
    [link] [comments]

    Question: Can I extend my fence?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    My neighborhood is basically next to the highway, but we all have a sound barrier wall. My property line ends about 50ft away from that wall. A couple of my neighbor have fences that extend up to the face of the sound barrier wall. According to the auditor website, theirs also ends 50ft away.

    Would I be allowed to bring my fence up to the wall as well?

    submitted by /u/kjbetan
    [link] [comments]

    Would you trust Lowe’s to install required ductwork for range hood installation?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:43 PM PDT

    Or maybe just your average contractor? Or a carpenter? Really at a loss to who's specialty this would be. HVAC guy?

    submitted by /u/swerve408
    [link] [comments]

    Suspected leak from bottom wall of bathroom on to the outside wall.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    Normally, people have leaks in bathrooms on to the floor below, however, I suspect I have a leak through the bottom wall on to the outside wall where the skirting/molding is. As you can see in the linked photos, I have fungi/mushrooms/mold growing underneath the floor skirting outside the bathroom. In fact, if I put my nose to all the skirting around the perimeter of the bathroom I can smell the mold all around. This happens to all my bathrooms with this particular stone tile (three of them). I also have two other bathrooms with marble and if I put my nose to the skirting outside those bathrooms I cannot detect any mold smell.

    Do I have a leak or crack in the bonding/waterproofing, or is it condensation from taking a shower?

    I live in Malaysia where it is fairly humid and the steam gets out in to the entire bedroom, although the issue is only with skirting directly in contact and outside the bathroom wall.

    Could it be because this particular stone is porous somehow? Can I prevent this from happening by using something like Drylok to paint over all the stone? Is there a problem with waterproofing and if so is it a problem in the floor or in the walls?

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b3gh6zmegwg03q1/AAD6YBFWaWwfe4FbcyakgMIGa?dl=0

    submitted by /u/thetrystero
    [link] [comments]

    Does a retaining wall drain need to be perforated once it exists the wall?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:23 PM PDT

    Installing a retaining wall with a drain. The drain is perforated, but should it be once it exists the wall and goes through the yard to the curb if its purpose is to just carry water from the wall to the street? Won't the water leak out into the yard?

    submitted by /u/united654
    [link] [comments]

    Should we demolish this garage to build a 2-car garage?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 09:17 AM PDT

    We just bought a new house with this detached garage: https://imgur.com/a/XiN18Aa
    The inspection revealed evidence (not a lot, but some) of termites. Because of the space available to the right of the garage, we were contemplating perhaps extending the garage to create room for another car (or more storage). Given these details, should we...

    1. treat for termites, get quotes for expanding the garage
    2. demolish completely, build new garage
    3. treat for termites and then do #2.

    In other words, is it significantly cheaper and easier to expand the current structure, or would it be better for the long haul to start anew?

    submitted by /u/junkNug
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling fan acting odd

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    I had a new Hunter ceiling fan installed recently. It randomly powers down and back on, both fan and light. It's not like blinking, can be 10-20min btwn events. Any advice what could be causing this?

    submitted by /u/AmeliaV_0NU
    [link] [comments]

    Possible black mold identify solutions.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    pics of mold?

    So I noticed a few days ago in a room that has a slight leak in the roof that one of the walls felt flimsy and loose and the paint was peeling slightly. I pressed on the wall behind my bed and the wall just sort of fell in on itself and the paint chipped away in layers. Underneath the paint though I saw something dark... Jesus, is that what I think it is? What am I going to do? Obviously I'm going to dis the roof leak first, but how should I go about the fix? Do I need to test this crap, call and expert, or just wear a mask and gloves while I rip the wall?

    submitted by /u/Nofaithinfaith
    [link] [comments]

    Desperately need advice - Hardie Board Siding/Foundation

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:31 PM PDT

    I live in a house built in 76 with Hardie Board siding. There is a concrete patio that runs the backside of the house.

    I am currently being bombarded by a millipede infestation. The lil bastards seem to be getting into the house in the 1/4 inch space between the bottom of the Hardie board and the concrete foundation. There are some gaps and cracks in the concrete around the foundation.

    I thought I could just seal everything up with flexible caulk but after a google search, it looks like this may interfere with the Hardie board being able to deal with water vapor.

    I've tried insecticides and nothing seems to phase these things.

    Any advice on how I can seal this gap and keep my sanity??

    submitted by /u/BJmcgoo
    [link] [comments]

    Vinyl piece in between threshold and floor.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    What is the name of the vinyl/plastic piece that sits directly under the door when closed? It's the piece that fills the gap between threshold and the floor of the house. It's an exterior door and an aluminum threshold. I'm having a tough time figuring out what to look for, the current vinyl "strip" that's there is cracking.

    submitted by /u/ChainsawCharlieMF
    [link] [comments]

    Who do I hire to clear the clogged drains in my yard?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:27 PM PDT

    I tried with a hose with a pressure nozzle but couldn't free the sand clogging the drains outside of my house. Should I be looking for a plumber or landscape guy?

    submitted by /u/danTHAman152000
    [link] [comments]

    Water heater igniter not sparking.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    I just moved into a home that sat for a year (oh so many issues!) my current issue is the water heater. It's a A.O Smith Promax with a push igniter. We follow the instructions but when we push the igniter we don't even seem to be getting a spark. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Kriss1986
    [link] [comments]

    Punching bag for basement question

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    I have 80 lb bag, one eyebolt, and a 2x6 I can attach to 3 joists using 6 wood screws. Eyebolt will be attached to the 2x6 in the middle. Is this safe to minimize damage to joists and minimize noise? Thanks

    https://imgur.com/a/LTYRBgS

    submitted by /u/illini1307
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment