• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 11, 2020

    Home Improvement: Finished Garage During Covid

    Home Improvement: Finished Garage During Covid


    Finished Garage During Covid

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    Like a few of you, I got the chance to finish off my garage during the pandemic. First time doing a project this size, but I'm happy with the result. Pictures show before, during, and after. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

    Garage Pictures

    submitted by /u/Hail2theChop
    [link] [comments]

    A good way to be green is to give things away on craigslist when you are done a project.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:16 PM PDT

    I just replaced all my light bulbs with LED bulbs and instead of throwing out the old functional ones I gave them away to someone on craigslist. You never know who else might need something you are done using. It doesnt take long and it can really help someone else out and keep things from going to waste!

    submitted by /u/WI_LFRED
    [link] [comments]

    Soil is in contact with vinyl siding. Can I remove soil and replace with stones?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:05 PM PDT

    I have soil coming about 6" up my siding on one part of my home. The problem is that this is already a relatively low spot around the house, so I don't want to try to regrade as that would require regrading the entire 1/3 acre lot.

    Can I dig out the soil to however low on the foundation that I can and replace it with stone and maybe a French drain to help with drainage? Or does stone/gravel against the house cause the same issues as soil?

    submitted by /u/BeHereNow91
    [link] [comments]

    Refinishing worn, painted porch. At what point should the wood be replaced?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    Hey there,

    We have a small front porch. Unfortunately, the paint is peeling and I want to refinish it. Everything I've read is screaming that you should be staining wood and never painting it.

    So, that's fine, it'll take a lot of work to strip all this paint but it won't be too bad.

    It seems like some of the wood has seen better days but I can't really find any guidelines on when it should be replaced. House was built in 1989. Unsure how old the porch is, I moved in last year. A lot of it is split but it isn't rotted or anything - it just seems like a waste to go through all this effort for this worn wood. Towards the back isn't as bad, it's not exposed to rain/sun.

    Any opinions?

    Thanks!

    Pictures:

    https://imgur.com/a/VX3W9YN

    submitted by /u/ghjjf11
    [link] [comments]

    What is it called? Window screen with slider to allow you to pass dishes through

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    I really need some help figuring out what this is called so I can try and buy it. We have a window with a horizontal sliding window. There is a screen on one side. We want to replace the screen with one that allows you to open the screen vertically so the bottom half of the screen goes up. The use case is to allow us to pass dishes through a window.

    screen window? Sliding screen?

    What is it called? We had one at an old family cabin. Can't find it, Thanks!

    submitted by /u/archimains
    [link] [comments]

    How to Get Rid of Cat Litter Smell in Unfinished Basement

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    We recently purchased a house- the laundry room is unfinished basement space (about 10' x 15'). The previous owners had a cat litter box in there and did not keep the area clean. The walls are painted concrete/cement and there was old litter caked in to the cracks and cement floor. We scrubbed the area, cleaned out the cracks, lit candles, etc but the smell is still really strong.

    What is the best way to get rid of this smell? Should we paint over the floor and walls with Kilz?

    Thanks for the advice!

    submitted by /u/4goodnessbakes
    [link] [comments]

    It's summer in Texas would like to keep my room cold.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    Here is the picture of my room and what I would like to get: https://imgur.com/a/Vzmu8jr

    So, I live in Northern Texas and it gets really hot in the summer. As shown in picture, the room is quite big, but the air-con is way too small, it makes me sweating at night all the time.

    Anyway, I'm a college student and on budget looking for the way to make my room cold. My room height is about 9-10 ft. and I have an idea to get a room divider surrounding an air-con. But I'm not sure that would be helpful. If you have any idea please let me know.

    TL:DR; I gets real hot in the summer in Texas. On budget and would like to make my bedroom cold.

    submitted by /u/tin_8867
    [link] [comments]

    Repainting old house with alligatored exterior paint

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 05:40 PM PDT

    My wife and I have a 100 yearish old house that desperately needs to be painted. I now have a bunch of extra time and can afford the supplies but am not sure exactly how to tackle this project. The lower half of quite a bit is peeling away and can be easily scraped and sanded. The next few feet that have been hit by rain but not sprinklers is badly alligatored. In our home inspection new paint was recommended but didn't get resolved. It tested negative for lead as well. What is the best way to attack this? Should I scrape or sand? Use peel stop? Or is the only good way chemical stripping?

    https://imgur.com/a/GygDJPx

    submitted by /u/talekinesis
    [link] [comments]

    Why would a contractor post lower job price when getting a permit?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:06 AM PDT

    Not a DIY question/post, but this has to do with improvement of a home. I'm in Florida if that matters.

    Getting a replacement of the storm panels. The contractor quoted a job at $7900. Took the deposit. Filed for permit. The permit has been approved by the county. But it shows job value at $6500. Why would the contractor submit lower price? Is it a matter of taxes somehow (doubt it, he is getting paid with a check to company name)? Or do you think it's an honest mistake?

    I don't like that because as a homeowner I want all improvements accounted for the future buyers. So I can justify the price when the time comes to sell the house.

    This is not a huge discrepancy, but got me thinking. Is it some kind of a trick or is it normal practice for contractors to do that?

    submitted by /u/MikeJohnBrian
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me figure out what do with this big dirt open area!

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    We regraded this open area between these houses. Eventually I want to do some planting and put in a little patio but right now we just want to get some ground cover down or something. I'd prefer to not use just grass or whatever so I was wondering what a relatively quick and dirty way of getting something growing would be. We were thinking using that green spray on stuff or clover or some sort of wildflower mix. We're in zone 8b. Thank you!

    Picture

    submitted by /u/feta
    [link] [comments]

    Getting a concrete patio poured, so i need that brown foam dtuff in between the slab and house?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    Im assuming I do for any expansion. One contractor said it's not needed and to pour up against the house. Another one said he'll install it

    submitted by /u/chikadino1
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help me find a water filter?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 10:05 PM PDT

    Hello all! I'm trying to find a replacement water filter for my girlfriend's mother's refrigerator. She owns a Kenmore Coldspot ( 106.58219400 ). I've tried googling and havnt found much luck. If anyone can send me the link to a place that sells a compatible filter or tell me what filter would work in her fridge, I would be really appreciate it! Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/illMindedManiac
    [link] [comments]

    Any thoughts on how to get rid of poison ivy permanently?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    Tub replacement in new bathroom

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    Looking for any tips/recommendations on replacing a tub in a relatively new bathroom. 6 month old bathroom tub was destroyed with toilet cleaner being left in it multiple times, so sealer is gone and water just turns blue.

    I've done full gut jobs, but it's my first for trying to salvage what is around the tub. Tile on the floor and tile on the wall surround.

    Read a little bit about using a multi tool to remove grout and try to save some tile, but not sure if that is even going to be worth the effort.

    submitted by /u/Realestate122
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix these ruts on my pavement?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    The movers did this on my asphalt driveway (see pics here) . Any suggestions on how to properly fix it? This is in Canada where freeze thaw cycles of our winters would be a consideration. I just don't water to somehow get underneath the asphalt through those ruts and cause my entire driveway to crack down the line.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Loremi490
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on shed roof

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    I've had my home about 5 years now with a shed in the back. The previous owners painted the shed a dark grey color right before we moved in and it looked great then. It's starting to look bad now though.https://imgur.com/a/LnW9sO5

    The roof isn't leaking or anything. The shingles are not splitting, no sign of rot, they don't appear to be curling like what online articles show need replacing.

    Stupid questions, does this roof look to need replacing? If not, could I sand these down and paint it? Or is that a stupid/work intensive idea?

    My goals are to make sure the roof is sound and improve it's appearance/help it last.

    Edit: I live in Idaho. Not a lot of rain but we do get snow usually.

    submitted by /u/firefarmer
    [link] [comments]

    Drilling through floors, running ethernet

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    I was trying to get a hardwired ethernet cable from my basement (router) to a second floor bedroom. There was an existing telephone wire running from the basement to the bedroom so I know there is a somewhat direct path. Unfortunately the telephone wire is through a very tiny hole. No way I could pull up the ethernet through the hole by pulling the telephone wire up through it. The hole needs to be enlarged in both the basement and second floor, which will destroy the telephone wire. I disconnected the telephone wire in the basement and pull it up through to the second floor to discard it. I drilled/enlarged the hole on the basement end. Went to the second floor and cut a hole in the drywall to access the previous telephone wire hole. I started to drill through but kind of panicked after 4 inches and not breaking through. This is where panic set in a little. I have no idea what is on the other side of that hole. Electrical wire? What if I drill through and nick an electrical wire? I ended up taking a coat hanger and putting it down into the hole and through what was left of the previous smaller hole as well. It seems like there are only a few inches left but I'm hitting something with some give to it. Almost seems like insulation but this is a wall in the middle of the house. Shouldn't be any insulation.

    Any thoughts? I do have one of those endoscope cameras but I won't be able to send it down into the hole to see what I'm hitting until I actually finish drilling the larger hole through all the way. And I'm kind of scared to do that now. Thinking about tossing in the towel and just getting some moca adapters instead.

    submitted by /u/DaveHT2020
    [link] [comments]

    Rug Pad Stained My Floor?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 09:54 PM PDT

    I'm moving out of a rental in a few weeks and discovered that the polyester rug pad under an 8x10' area rug has stained the floor. At some point before I moved in someone painted the hardwood floor white with what appears to be one coat of latex wall paint (I'm assuming someone spilled it and it was easier to paint the whole floor?). In general the paint has turned very dingy and is peeling at the seams now from just general wear and tear. Anyway, the rug pad seems to have dried onto the latex paint. I was able to get the dry residue off fairly easily with a paint scraper, but it seems to have left kind of oily looking darker stains in the paint. I tried scrubbing with a magic eraser and then WD-40 and had no luck. WD 40 seemed to help a little but would take days of scrubbing to potentially come up. Anything else I could try? Goo Gone maybe?

    submitted by /u/chestercat2013
    [link] [comments]

    I think im going to lose my mind with this house!��

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    The house is 1925 , but was actually a tack house before that. It was converted to a home in the 20's after the landowner sold off the property and building. I have done many major repairs since buying it, and now this latest problem has me ready to throw in the towel. While pulling up the old flooring in one of the rooms i saw the corner floor was dropped and you could see the dirt under it and the sill. I thought oh god this is bad, so i ripped the rest of the old linoleum out and yeah thick black mold all along the floor where it meets the wall. The floor is rotted through the rim joists there only in the corner. But there is def going to be a rotted sill behind that.

    So here is my dilemma, i have already put in new HVAC and ducts, gutted and repaired the whole bathroom to the studs..more rot was under the toilet through the joists and the toilet drain was broken for god knows how long. That was a hazmat situation that cost a lot to clean up. I have been installing new laminate through the house already in the process. Had kitchen remodeled, and a 13x16 room addition added on and new windows. Funds are about gone at this point, and so is my sanity. The problem is at some point in the past some yahoo thought it would be a good idea to put in a concrete slab porch and butt it right up to the foundation and sill. So that whole length of the sill and floor are sucking up moisture from the concrete, that is wicking it up from the ground around it.

    This is an old house the space under the subfloor is just under a foot off the dirt ground. So i cant get under there, and i cant get to it from outside because of the concrete🤬 So i will have to gut the interior down to the studs and rip up the subfloor to replace the sill right? How can i stop moisture from transferring from the concrete again into the sill and floor? I dont even know if i can do this myself, im a small woman and im not sure i have the muscle needed to pull out a 100+ year old sill. But i have to do this or the rot will worsen, and the mold is gagging me, not to mention creepy crawlies are getting in through that corner of the floor 😱 I just dont have the funds at this time to hire another contractor, and that is a structural wall at the corner of the house, im afraid it will start to collapse.

    submitted by /u/DarkVandal
    [link] [comments]

    Water Heater Cold Water Connection Leak

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    SEE PICS HERE: https://imgur.com/a/bJ1aVpv

    I'm trying to install a water heater. The cold water connection is soldered onto the valve coming out of the wall. It's leaking from before the nut, instead from the connection itself. Do I cut off the Watts full ball valve and put a new ball valve and cold water connector? There's not much pipe to work with coming out of the wall.

    submitted by /u/VansLotus
    [link] [comments]

    How to paint around storm windows?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 03:45 PM PDT

    Hi all. I have aluminum storm windows on my wood windows that are both still in good shape. I need to paint my house (trim, shutters, rake, etc.). Any tips on how to handle the storm windows? I think the paint on the windows themselves is ok because the storm windows have been protecting them, I'm talking about how to paint the wood trim/frame to which the storm windows are screwed into.

    Do people typically unscrew them and put them back? Does that strip the threads in the wood if there's been too many on/off cycles? It's a 48yo house, so I'm assuming the previous owner has done a fair share of screwing/unscrewing the windows. Thanks for your insights!

    submitted by /u/cdj5645
    [link] [comments]

    Painter saying two coats

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 09:29 PM PDT

    We currently painting our exterior of our home. We're changing the color from a light green to a white. The painter has sprayed a tinted primer to match our white but he's saying we wouldn't need two coats of top coat since the tinted primer would cover and provide a good base.

    There seems to be conflicting info online.

    Siding

    Hardie plank and brick

    Paint brands

    Primer Shermin Williams Loxon

    Paint Shermin Williams Duration

    submitted by /u/fixed_gear
    [link] [comments]

    Does clean toilet stay cleaner longer?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:52 AM PDT

    Last month, I finally acted on the problem of the dirty toilet in the basement we inherited from previous owners. After soaking the bowl in cleaning products, I was able to break away the thick crust at the bottom, small piece by small piece, until it's now white again. I also used pumice to remove the stains on the other parts of the bowl.

    Now here's the funny thing. Either I'm dreaming or the toilet stays cleaner now that the brown crust at the bottom has been removed. We don't flush during the night to save water and reduce noise yet it seems there is seldom a ring around the bowl anymore. Is the clean toilet staying clean longer?

    submitted by /u/anobono
    [link] [comments]

    How do I know if my house is insulated "enough"?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 04:11 PM PDT

    By enough I mean is there any room for (home) improvement? I live in southern california and the house stays ~10 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. Right now its 101F and the house is 91F. We run the AC for 30-60 minutes which helps but the house starts to heat back up fairly quickly.

    I have no idea how long AC is supposed to "last" when its off

    Edit: I have an attic

    submitted by /u/deeadpoool
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment