• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 7, 2020

    Home security: Planning camera placement for 2-story home

    Home security: Planning camera placement for 2-story home


    Planning camera placement for 2-story home

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    How could you prevent this? Can you even prevent this?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    Battery test every 24 Hours

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    Gemini 801 Home System

    I have an unmonitored system. They battery has run out and I don't want to replace it. However, every 24 hours, the system runs a test and then starts beeping every 10 seconds until you press reset. It is getting annoying. I looked through the manual and read this "(2) Low Battery - Program to activate the PGM on a Low Battery condition. " so I am assuming it is possible to remove the option of triggering the low battery alert. I just can figure out how to get into actually programming this. Can this be done from the control panel?

    submitted by /u/ABortega
    [link] [comments]

    Motion Detection using WiFi

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 04:02 PM PDT

    So ive been researching this fairly new tech where you are able to detect intrusion over a perimeter using scripts and wifi routers... IE: Radiomaze, Origin, Aerial, and so on.... But i cant seem to find and FOSS software for windows 7 that would accurately do such... Something like FIND3 or WHOS HERE... But any info in the right direction to set up a simple say.. geofence that sent me an alert and the MAC address of devices that came within so many ft of the AP cause i am trying to secure a small farm that isnt fenced and our motion detection pops a lot of false positives via the sensors and cameras.... Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/catunderthestars
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought Dahua PTZ camera, but no NVR or wires..Looking for recs

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    Got a dahua ptz camera with RJ45 and DC power cable. Somewhat IT savvy but not sure why they would have power cable and DC power coming out of pigtail wire. Looking for some middle of the road NVR recs, and hoping to get this set up in next week or two. I would like to have remote access from phone/app and control of cam. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/cmpnd499
    [link] [comments]

    Inswing or outswing doors?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    I am planning on replacing my exterior doors with 24 gauge steel "impact" doors. I am looking at a couple door security kits (https://www.armorconcepts.com/shop/product/door-armor-max-plus-combo-set-981?category=2 or https://securitysnobs.com/DJArmor-Platinum-Jamb-Armor-Combo-Kit-for-Standard-Doors.html) and i am intending to (if possible) attach the doors' hinges with concrete anchors into my block house. What i do not know is, should i make the doors inswing or outswing? Is outswing still better even though I already will be using the aforementioned door armor products? And if i choose outswing, I have to utilize security hinges to mitigate the threat of an attacker removing the hinge pins.

    Does anyone have Any insight on this?

    submitted by /u/ih8x509
    [link] [comments]

    Someone just pulled my door handle at 3am

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 12:02 AM PDT

    Two people, male and female. I hear some noise at front the door and look. Once they see me through the window I hear them say someone is living there. Then they leave in their car slowly.

    What kind of things do you recommend to prevent stuff like this?

    As of right now, I have a porch light but needs a new bulb. I have a storm door locked and a metal door locked, so two types of defense I guess.

    No cameras or anything.

    It is a decent neighborhood of $70,000 houses.

    Before this, I've been researching buying my first handgun too.

    Maybe a security light is something I should get.

    submitted by /u/Freds_Premium
    [link] [comments]

    NVR recommendation (UK) hikvision or dahua

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:24 AM PDT

    Hi - am considering both dahua and hikvision for a new NVR setup.

    Looking for your recommendation and indicative quote along following:

    8 channel NVR including HDD with remote access / web and app

    6 exterior POE dome cameras (possibly a couple PTZ) - good resolution (less about chasing super high res, more around a clear image which can identify people/objects), good weatherproofing and nightvision

    prefer any config software not to rely on old IE plugins as with older CCTV tech.

    would rather have a system I know will expand - eg: if I throw some higher resolution or more PTZ cameras it would be fine.

    I'm very IT savvy - so no worries about config/network setup. Would rather spend time effort configuring a better system than a turnkey one of lesser quality.

    looking to buy in next 2-3 months

    Many thanks

    Stephen

    submitted by /u/timebecomesaloop-
    [link] [comments]

    New Doorbell camera time

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    Dropped mine and broke it oops lol so shopping around and was wanting a new one.. one that

    1. 180 degrees
    2. at least 1080p
    3. local storage
    4. custom chimes
    5. maybe work with other cameras
    6. battery or using the existing wirng dont matter

    Good time to upgrade lol

    submitted by /u/Silencer271
    [link] [comments]

    Flood light options

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 10:01 PM PDT

    Last night someone kicked over my mailbox and my neighbor across the street's was also messed with but not permanently damaged. Didn't notice until nog long ago. During the day I have excellent quality coverage of that area but at night it's too dark even with my porch and garage lights on. I do have some IR illuminators but it's just too far.

    Distances and layout according to google maps distance tool. My house is a corner lot on the SW corner of the intersection.

    • East of house to street 50'. Currently have a bright porch light but it doesn't cover the yard with light.
    • North of house to street almost 50'.
    • West side of house backs up to another house at 30feet. Don't believe I need to flood light that, exterior bulb light bounces back and illuminates it well enough.
    • South side of house is about 50' to the property line and another home. This is the garage side of the house and has a bright bulb that works for a little bit of that distance.
    • The mailbox in question is 60ft away diagonally from the SE corner of the house.

    Based on the timeline I could discern when cars drove by and headlights lit up the mailboxes, I was awake at the time of the crime but didn't hear anything. The police have what information I could get, timeline, and some odd behaving people that went past the house in the last few days, one irate and pointing at my house (thinking face). That was daylight and quite clear video and the officer's reaction was yea that's really weird behavior.

    My neighbor across the street (East) is also the VP of the HOA. Flood lights are OK (a house to my SW on another street has one for their back yard). I'd be OK to just perma-light my property at night, if I can set it up in a way to not blind drivers or annoyingly illuminate my neighbor across the street (he's a cool dude so I think I can work with him). I assume there's some way to aim or maybe better some adjustable blinders to make a crisp end to illumination? With the unrest lately I'm thinking it's best for me to get something going soon, e.g. quick wifi cameras with better angles and some quick lighting for the (new...) mailbox. Thinking a pole in the garden to host a light that's powered by external outlet. Does anything like that exist? Bonus if it could double as a spot that could hang a birdfeeder.

    I have some ground level windows in the garage that I could lift the screen and place an outdoor wifi camera that could aim . SE to the mailbox. If it was powered and needed a wire I wonder if there's a bit of trim that can let you run cable out and then close the window onto the trim without crushing the cable. The Garage is unfinished and not air handled so NBD on heat exchange. Security wise it's got thick bushes in front, it's not easy to get up close to the window from outside.

    Is that plausible, has anyone done that? I'm mostly unsure on illumination, I have a Synology NAS with surveillance station up to 25 IP cameras.

    I'm still kinda shook up so my thoughts are racing. I have PTSD from a previous burglary/home invasion (they were in the house when I got home and luckily they fled before I realized them). I'm armed to the teeth and quite competent (though more training is always good).

    Near me I have a Lowe's and a little farther away a Home Depot (also walmart and target are options nearby).

    submitted by /u/shikkie
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Home Fortifications, Part 5: The Update

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment