• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 3, 2020

    Home security: Looking for 4k camera system

    Home security: Looking for 4k camera system


    Looking for 4k camera system

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 07:49 PM PDT

    Looking to buy a system with 4K cameras - I have a budget about 3k to spend, little more if I need to and looking to get 4 cameras

    Any suggestions on brands to look at?

    Will be for residential property

    Edit: outdoor use

    submitted by /u/IDidReadTheSideBar
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for home security

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:27 AM PDT

    Hey all just bought a house and looking for home security systems.

    Ideally I wanted a ring but the subscription turned me off from it. I do not have a pre existing doorbell so that eliminates some.

    I definitely want a door bell camera that is battery powered or a battery powered camera that doesn't require an outlet I can put in a windowsill.

    I'm open to other options as well but kind of on a smallish budget

    submitted by /u/CockyNurse
    [link] [comments]

    "Faster Police Response" - False advertising from Simplisafe?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:11 AM PDT

    Simplisafe are currently advertising "Faster Police dispatch. Fewer False Alarms" which Imo is misleading and could be false advertising.

    1. "Fast Police dispatch"

    First, they don't share any data to back up this claim.

    Second, Simplisafe's alarms can't have a Police URN. Their ARC doesn't use a direct line to contact the police. Simplisafe's ARC must call 999 and go through an operator to get to the police, which is significantly slower than a fully monitored alarm.

    Third, they must get visual confirmation of a burglary before they call 999. If the burglar hasn't chucked a blanket over the camera or cut the internet, then checking the video feed for a burglar will take time.

    Lastly, the SSAIB states "Police in the UK will only offer a response to verified alarm signals from systems which have been granted a Police URN."

    So the police may not even respond AT ALL!!!

    2. Fewer false alarms

    Again, they don't give any numbers to back up this claim.

    What I've read is that if the alarm is triggered and there's no visual verification then Simplisafe sends out a guard which will cost you £75 and £45 per half an hour!

    (If I could post images of the Ads then I would)

    submitted by /u/Flying-Scotty-Dog
    [link] [comments]

    Old dlink cameras

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:30 PM PDT

    I have 2 10 year old dlink DCS 920 cameras and i would love to be able to use them but the old interface was terrible. What should i do with em?

    submitted by /u/eronzero
    [link] [comments]

    Bear Troubles

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Hey all, new to the sub but I've recently come in need of a security system for my 4-plex. TLDR @ the end.

    I recently had an incident on one of my 4-plex units in AK, where a bear got into the dumpster and made house. This laid bare (pun intended) the fact that neighbors/randos have been using the bin to get rid of unacceptable items like refrigerators and mattresses. Local code enforcement caught wind and gave me a call and a warning.

    Needless to say, I'm pissed because I pay for a lock bar but the Tennant's never use it and my property manager has had a hard time enforcing it. Without any photo/video evidence, guess who gets to pay the violations and extra garbage pickup fees...

    There's another fun feature to my property. Across the street, there's a trailer park of less than distinguished citizens that frequently cut across the property as a short cut to go to the nearest (can you guess?) Liquor store and bar! Surprise, surprise. Fencing has been put up and then shortly taken back down again by the local utility due to an easement that's also adjacent to the property, so their folks can reach a transformer behind the property.

    I'm working with the utility to find an acceptable way to put up a fence that doesn't interfere with their access needs.

    That being said, my trailer dwelling neighbors won't have any issue just cutting the fence or climbing it, and leaving their garbage behind while they're at it. In the past, some of these fine citizens have also vandalized my building breaking windows, tagging the building, and even at one point, stolen a tenant's car. I'm done with that nonsense.

    I need some kind of enforcement and deterrent. Signage will obviously accompany any camera system but given the sub-zero temps in Anchorage, I need couple cameras that can either take the cold, or self-heat. I'm assuming this won't come cheap so I'm hoping to use as few as possible and have them be highly functional with pan/tilt/zoom functionality. The building's footprint is a plain rectangle so 2-3 cameras should do it but it is imperative that they:

    A- be high enough resolution/zoom enough to capture facial features and identify license plates for illegal dumpers at 20 - 100 ft away.

    B- survive the cold. Anchorage average winter lows are around -14 f

    C- have some kind of internet connectivity, because I live in California and will be monitoring remotely

    D- OPTIONAL: Have a floodlight or 2-way audio. This kind of deterrent while not necessary would be great to have.

    This is the camera I'm currently looking at but haven't settled on. I humbly ask this community for advice/feedback.

    https://www.amazon.com/2MP-20X-Auto-Tracking-Camera/dp/B015R051N8/ref=pd_cart_vw_crc_1_3/130-9430217-1363904?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B015R051N8&pd_rd_r=ac542c50-2a50-4d4b-8b1f-de93ac7f2615&pd_rd_w=vMy6X&pd_rd_wg=48Uqy&pf_rd_p=6b8facbd-d0ef-4764-b637-32a50d28714d&pf_rd_r=Z0MMEDQBS8P3FH48F90E&psc=1&refRID=Z0MMEDQBS8P3FH48F90E

    TLDR:

    Need a security camera that can withstand -20 deg F and still operate or be self-heating, identify faces and license plates at a distance (20-100 ft) day or night, and have internet/networking functionality.

    submitted by /u/papi_sammich
    [link] [comments]

    Turn "business" surveillance into user friendly home surveillance?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    Hi there!

    This might be a little weird. A couple of years ago someone broke into our house and stole a lot of my grandparents stuff. The house is from my grandparents and after that, my grandfather decided to get home surveillance. I wanted a good IP camera system that would be compatible with smart systems and mobile apps.

    Instead he said he knew a person, who does this professionally and let him do that. So far so good, but this person worked for a company that specifically made surveillance for businesses. We do have this system now for a couple of years and it is the most user unfriendly system I have ever seen. It is probably good for companies, but definitely not for home security.

    The one app that doesn't get any updates is terrible and slow, and it only works on internet explorer on a computer.

    The system is a server from "Truvision" (TVR 22 afaik) and it does have a lot of functionality, but nothing that is suitable for a private home.

    The cameras are connected via ethernet to the server in out basement and it records up to 1 month of footage, which is great, if we want to look something up that happened. Other than that (notification to apps, person recognition etc) it is terrible.

    Cheaper smart home cameras are better and more user friendly and way cheaper than this system in my opinion.

    Is it possible to switch the cameras to a different system that is more compatible to apps and more? Or is it even possible to have both systems at the same time? The cameras itself are good, can they be used in a different system? If yes, what system?

    I don't know if this might be total nonsense what I am asking for, but the system is terrible. The only one who knows how to work with it is me, since my parents and grandfather definitely are not "techy" enough to work with more than that terrible app. (TVRmobile)

    Any idea / advice is highly appreciated! Thanks a lot! :)

    submitted by /u/itspuia
    [link] [comments]

    Mounting Reolinks in discrete locations and possibly disguisng them?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    Hello I'm purchasing 2 reolink POE dome cameras one for the front of the house and one for the back. I'm also trying to figure out what to put in the garage.

    The 2 models I was looking at were the dome and the turret

    I was also looking at a PTZ pan tilt nicier one, but I fear it will be extremely visible. I don't want my camera presence known.

    Pictures of House

    I have some pictures of my house if you'll have any ideas that are discrete locations, or I was considering painting the shell to match the house or even using some type of decoy cover or dumby object.

    I'm planning on running on POE with SD cards and eventually connecting it a NAS when I'm fully setup. I think I'll just buy a POE switch instead of one with a harddrive because it seems better to use a NAS than the all in one.

    I also have a ring doorbell which is nice but I need to upgrade the 2 to the 3 for better capture.

    submitted by /u/WookieWeed
    [link] [comments]

    5MP RLC-410 x2 System for new comer to home surveillance

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    Hello /r/homesecurity.

    I am a newcomer to home surveillance, but saw a deal for two of these cameras for 100 Euros, and thought that might be my offset into this field.

    < https://reolink.com/dk/product/rlc-410/?attribute_pa_version=5mp-2-pack >

    I know these cameras require a direct cabled ethernet as well as power connection, but is there anything else I am missing? Is there additional software I have to buy? Storage? Other things a newcomer might miss?

    Any tips are highly appreciated, as well as comments/Pros/cons on the camera model.

    submitted by /u/powh
    [link] [comments]

    replacement PIRs questions

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 07:44 AM PDT

    Hi, we have a small business with multiple wall PIR units. They are extremely old but the guts of the system are fairly newish. The PIRS must have been from an old system but the BOSCH wall panel and dial unit look as new.

    With the above, I'm assuming I can purchase ANY cabled PIR sensor and it will work? Ideally, I would also like to move away from the wall mounted units and find options with drop-ceiling support. I would also ideally like to have an integrated break-glass sensor in the unit. I'm also open to suggestions on products that might meet these needs. I would also like the integrated PIR to be bright on detection or even potentially flash every couple of seconds when the system is armed to be as a deterrent should someone be walking around the windows and looking around. If it helps, I'm in Australia. Thanks!

    Edit: Panel PIC

    https://imgur.com/a/7cT8LqD

    submitted by /u/M1S1EK
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment