• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 2, 2020

    Home Improvement: 3 screws and one 2x4 holding up my deck stairs.....Why do things still surprise me? I bet it is a drywall screw

    Home Improvement: 3 screws and one 2x4 holding up my deck stairs.....Why do things still surprise me? I bet it is a drywall screw


    3 screws and one 2x4 holding up my deck stairs.....Why do things still surprise me? I bet it is a drywall screw

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    Home Depot, the unspoken club of fathers

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 08:33 PM PDT

    Well. I'll start with this.

    I recently achieved a huge goal for myself. Purchasing a house on my own at the age of 28. It's a big deal in my family because I'm the first in my family to actually own as opposed to rent. Of course I had the honor of moving my mom in with me as a way to pay her back for all she did for me as she was a single mother. As for my dad, he wasn't really a part of my life up until I was 19 when he reached out to me to make up for lost times. Unfortunately he passed shortly after we reconnected. Growing up I had to teach myself "manly" things like shaving and driving a manual car on my own via YouTube, etc. Since become a homeowner I realize there's a lot to owning a house. Sure you can hire people to do things, but ultimately a DIY is always more satisfying when you actual finish a project. I feel like every time I've walked into a home Depot there's always a father looking figure in the store. A man approached me one time after I looked confused for a good minute while staring at wall mounts for mirrors. He gave me great advice on which ones to use. I know this may seem like nothing. But it made me feel pretty cool knowing that dads a roaming around Home Depot and usually know what they are talking about. No hate to the employees there, but they are usually always busy. But I've come to realize that home improvement stores are basically a hub for fathers so to say. Now I actually enjoy going there hoping that one day when I become a father, I'll have the knowledge to pass it down to the next guy that looks lost while staring at wall mounts.

    submitted by /u/fuzebawss
    [link] [comments]

    I messed up Reddit, how hard is it to fix this PVC pipe for my house's sewer cleanout?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 02:21 PM PDT

    I accidentally ran over this PCV pipe in my yard with the mower today. Imgur has informed me it is a sewer cleanout access. How quickly does this need to be addressed? It looks like the thread connection that the cap was in was glued on, would it be possible to just remove the rest of the broken joint? ( I have no idea if it is possible to separate glued pvc.) If not I assume I can just cut it off and attach a new one (which would have the added benefit of being less likely to be run over again.) Thanks! P.S. PVC shatters like glass when you hit it with a ride on mower.

    submitted by /u/Pompousasfuck
    [link] [comments]

    Time for a new washing machine: Top loader vs front loader. I’d appreciate your suggestions.

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    I've had bad luck with my front loader having to take it apart trying to clean the coin trap. Are front loaders more prone to problems if doing heavy loads?

    submitted by /u/Accomplished-Theory
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone with linoleum flooring in a kitchen

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 05:08 AM PDT

    Part of our house, kitchen included, is covered in very boring and ugly tile (and some are cracked and chipped), and I'd like to cover it with linoleum that has a wood pattern, preferably very light oak or grey oak. We want to redo the kitchen this year, so I am wondering if others have experience with linoleum in the kitchen? Does it stain heavily?

    I was also thinking to put down the linoleum first then the cabinets on top? Is this advisable? My thought is that if one day I (or someone else) wants to change the floor, it may be difficult.

    Thanks for your advice :)

    EDIT: Thank you everyone so much for all your help and opinions! That was really nice of you!! I think for the look, comfort, and durability, I'll go with kitchen-rated vinyl planks :) Now to start planning a kitchen! Thanks again :)

    submitted by /u/kattspraak
    [link] [comments]

    I built a Murphy bed with warped wood! Now what?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:22 AM PDT

    I built a Murphy bed and as it turns out, some of the wood was a little warped. I'm not sure how to trim it out in a way that will hide this warp. What are my options? It's all 3/4 ply.

    submitted by /u/sarahroberts331
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix large gaps on a newly built deck after wood shrinkage?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    The Gap Problem

    A while back (about 8 months ago), I built a large deck with AC2 lumber. When I put it together, I expected some gappage from shrinkage--but it ended up being much more than I expected. The other problem is my the shrinkage was very inconsistent from one board to another (opposite of my experience the last time I built a fence from AC2). So now the deck looks like it was put together by someone with one eye and no measuring tape.

    Besides re-doing half the deck, what would be the best ways to salvage such an issue? Everything was butted up nice, tight, and flat when I built it. Please let me know your thoughts! thank you

    submitted by /u/Mandoade
    [link] [comments]

    Fence and Deck cost - $35k?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 03:39 PM PDT

    We were just quoted $20k for a deck (composite, 12x20 [1 ft high]) and $15k for a vinyl privacy fence on a lot that's 75x116. (Front yard is 75x58, house consumes 65 of the 75 on one side of the remaining area so approximately 200 LF.)

    We're in the St. Louis metro area. Is $35k really what it's going to cost for us to get a fence and deck?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/CrazyFuckingDumbass
    [link] [comments]

    New asphalt driveway VERY soft after two months, patio table makes 1” deep hole

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    We had our driveway paved in March by a reputable company. It was laid on top of a rough binder and rolled. The existing binder base was solid, we just wanted a smooth surface for playing/driving. 2" compacted.

    After 2 months the asphalt is still very soft. A patio table left deep 1" divots, my sons bike kickstand even leaves a mark if it's there for a few hours. We haven't even hit the hot summer months yet!Turning of tires grinds up the top layer of asphalt so it's not smooth anymore.

    Driveway company says it's "normal". What went wrong? What should they have done so it's harder like a parking lot? Can it be fixed?

    submitted by /u/1ChocolateChipCookie
    [link] [comments]

    My dog was accidentally locked in a bathroom. How do I find a matching cabinet door to replace the one he chewed while trying to escape to Narnia?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    I'm having a hard time finding an exact match to this cabinet door that my dog chewed up. Any suggestions for how to find a replacement locally or a website that would have a match? I have Menards, HD and Lowes in my city, I talked to someone at Menards but we couldn't find an exact match in their selection. I'm most worried about finding an exact match to the color.

    Pics showing the damage and detail of the door design that I'm trying to find a replacement for. Dog tax also included in the pics, the black one was recently adopted and didn't like being accidentally locked in a bathroom. https://imgur.com/a/4SdMSJQ

    The door is 11" wide by 19" tall.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/rowlikehell
    [link] [comments]

    I have about .25 acre of woods that I want cleared of all the downed trees, brush, leaves, limbs, and smaller trees with stump removal. Is this a job for a landscaper or someone else?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    Cheap Art Work?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! I'm working from home for the next few months and I'm looking for ways to brighten up my small apartment. I love canvas art and I found these kits, that you paint your own canvas and from the reviews, they look like they turn out quite good. I'm moving out of the apartment next year so don't wanna spend too much money and I was thinking that something like this would be a cheap alternative to real canvas art. Before I buy, has anyone bought any of these painting kits or have any other suggestions?

    Thank you!!!

    submitted by /u/rutht54
    [link] [comments]

    Does Behr DeckOver still suck?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    I know years ago there was a class action lawsuit, but it was a while ago. I was wondering if it's a better product now? The home I am purchasing has an unfinished deck and porch. I really don't mind I just don't want the wood to like...collapse. Probably won't happen but I've never owned a home before so idk lol

    My coworker says that my deck and porch are pretty much too far gone to properly stain at this point.

    submitted by /u/angus_supreme
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to buy a wider storm door strike plate?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    The outer handle of our storm door fell off, so we decided to replace the entire handle. Unfortunately, the inside latch is just too short for the old strike so the door won't stay latch shut. Do they make them a little bit wider? I measured and it looks like a 1" wide piece would keep the door closed, the piece on there currently is about 7/8" wide. I can't move the latch over any farther to the doorjamb because of a lip on the outside of the storm door.

    Imgur photos

    I apologize if this sounds like a dumb ask, but I'm very bad at googling things online and prefer to do curbside pickup at the hardware store because of Covid, otherwise I'd go inside the store to see what they had available.

    submitted by /u/pdxbatman
    [link] [comments]

    How should I fill a concrete crack that is 2 inch wide and almost 2 inches deep as well?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 07:06 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I have a concrete slab that looks to have cracked and shifted over time. The crack now is around 2 inches wide and almost 2 inches deep. I looks like the previous owner filled up the cracks with some type of foam and is now breaking down.

    https://imgur.com/a/XhV91dj

    For a more permanent repair what should be used to repair this? I have some sakrete fast setting concrete mix that I was going to use but i wanted to see if I'm using the right materials to fill the crack.

    Edit: Better picture https://imgur.com/a/H0RrQAg

    submitted by /u/theraflupower
    [link] [comments]

    Backyard revamp, huge patio

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:31 AM PDT

    Just got the patio poured not need to figure out what to fill it up with. before

    after

    submitted by /u/FullTiltRounder
    [link] [comments]

    Fixing walls with tons of paint runs from spray gun? X-Post from DIY

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 07:19 AM PDT

    Issue with drywall cracks in ceiling and walls...help!

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 02:42 PM PDT

    I've found long, straight cracks in portions of my ceiling and walls. I know NOTHING about home improvement, and I'm wondering if this is serious. Any advice on what's happening and how to fix it would be much appreciated.

    Thanks!

    cracks

    submitted by /u/RestoreF
    [link] [comments]

    Asbestos tiles and underlay question

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    We have asbestos tiles throughout our new house and the housing association is 2 years behind on sorting it. They are broken and easily coming apart at the edges around the skirtings .

    Would simply putting down a decent underlay with dpm layer and then laminate be enough to encapsulate

    submitted by /u/Ephemerealms
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to treat (aka seal) PT wood that is rated "for ground contact" for fence posts??

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:50 AM PDT

    I am getting a lot of conflicting information about the need to "seal" Pressure Treated wood that is to be used for fence posts. The posts are rated for "ground contact". I have read everything from using "used motor oil" to Thompson's Water Seal, Copper Napthanate (Cuprinol), and Roofing Tar.

    I have also read that PT wood lasts up to 25 years and there is no need to seal the wood.

    My soil type is about 8" of top soil followed by very hard clay (I live in south-western South Dakota). I have auger'd down to about 3' and 8". I plan on using crushed 3/4" angular rock, tampered down every 3" until the cavity is almost to the top of the hole. Dont want to use cement.

    The clay does not drain well, hence why I am asking the question, do I need to seal my Pressure Treated fence posts?? If I should, what works the best?

    submitted by /u/Nerd-Rule
    [link] [comments]

    Container home question

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    Hello! I think this is a home improvement question. Apologies in advance if it is not.

    Anyone out here own a container home? I would like to buy some land in Massachusetts, preferably the east coast, lay a foundation and stack some containers (I know this is over simplistic). There is not much info on which city allows container homes. If you own one of these, how did the process of getting on put on land go? Where do you live?

    Also, I've read the life expectancy of these homes are around 30 years? Is this realistic given all maintenance precautions?

    Any guidance would help out.

    submitted by /u/caradubaxu
    [link] [comments]

    Venting a few things out the side of my house....instead of my attic

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, our house was built in the 60s and apparently it was a total yolo world. Theres no bathroom exhaust and the kitchen for vents into the attic, which is glorious for growing mould of all types. I'm intent on drilling some holes in the side of my house near the attic air exchange and adding proper venting. I'm curious if it's possible to T them together, everything I can think of is problematic unless there's some sort of backflow prevention that I'm not aware of. Also, in there anything I have to think about in terms of hose, insulated non insulated etc. The runs would be about 6ft for the oven hood exhaust and about 14ft for the bathroom exhaust fan.

    Thanks it advance.

    submitted by /u/Deep__6
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for suggestions on bathroom remodel

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 03:45 PM PDT

    I am looking to redo my upstairs bathroom, but I am unsure what layout is best. What we have now is not great in my opinion, so I have drawn up a couple of other layouts (all involve removing the master bedroom closet) but I don't know what would look best to potential buyers. So I am looking for your opinion on a couple of different options.

    Some facts about the neighborhood: - Located in Ontario - House is a back split - Most other homes in the neighborhood have a similar upstairs layout (3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom) - There is a 2pc on the lower level - We would like to add a full bath in the basement eventually

    Our current layout: https://imgur.com/a/2818oWO

    Idea 1: Move the master closet elsewhere in the room, and use the larger space for either 1 large bathroom, or 2 smaller bathrooms. I am hesitant to make the master bedroom any smaller than it already is, but I think 1 large bathroom or 2 bathrooms on the upper floor could make my house stand out in the neighborhood. https://imgur.com/a/s3AqGgt

    Idea 2: Again remove the master closet, but this time create a walk in closet and small bathroom in the new space. Here the master bedroom stays the same size, but I am worried that one small bathroom on the upper floor wouldn't look good to potential buyers. https://imgur.com/a/VRqdy5H

    What would you do and why?

    Edit: Added some info about other bathrooms in the house

    submitted by /u/Otherwise_Piece
    [link] [comments]

    How to I redo/fix my peeling foundation?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    Upgrading electrical panel cost

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I couldn't find answers to this. Have an electrician who is a friend of my family supposedly giving me a deal. Just want to make sure. I have two electrical panels in my house I know one is 125 W, and the other is outside and didn't say, it has a main breaker switch pool switches etc.

    He is charging me $1600 for everything. He will be replacing the panels as the insurance doesn't take them anymore.

    Is this good?

    I live in south Florida

    submitted by /u/SeanC7
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment