• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 3, 2020

    Home security: How To: Protect your privacy when using security cameras indoors.

    Home security: How To: Protect your privacy when using security cameras indoors.


    How To: Protect your privacy when using security cameras indoors.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:23 AM PDT

    License Plate Camera - front or back?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    Looking for advice - i have one LPR camera and trying to get advice if I should install to capture the front or rear plates?

    My gut is that most cars will have a rear but many folks do not always install front plates (even though its illegal where I live). Any advice here?

    submitted by /u/j0j053
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best outside security camera, budget is 5k

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    I'm looking for security cameras that cost up to 5k. For outside of my house. I haven't decided on hardwire, wireless etc yet. My main concern is good night vision in a low light area and face recognition. Any suggestions is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ShortProtection1
    [link] [comments]

    I'm thinking of posting pictures of the locations of where I'd like to setup the PoE cameras outside, who/where can I ask someone trusted to get recommendations on how to go about with drilling holes/wiring?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:36 PM PDT

    Help me place my final camera? Shitty MS Paint Included. Bonus round: favorite 4 cam setup under $500?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I have recently experienced an uptick of casual crime. Mostly, my neighbors and I have had our vehicles broken into regularly and they have had things go missing from around the yard/car port. Luckily, I have a garage and locked shed so I haven't experienced the latter.

    In any event, I'm getting some security cameras. I've painted over a map to show my current set up.

    https://i.imgur.com/pSxYdig.png

    Camera 1 is positioned to watch the rear deck. It's view covers all rear entrances and windows. It can't see around the house, and is in the roof of my deck. It's a 2nd story deck and the camera can see the stairs leading to the yard.

    Camera 2 is positioned to watch the approach to camera 3. I have encountered people walking through the lawn late at night (there's a sidewalk, so no reason) who are probably approaching from my top neighbor's car.

    Camera 3 is posted to watch the car in the driveway. It gets an exceptional view of the driver side of the vehicle and a good view of the passenger side.

    My last camera can go in positions a, b, c, or "other" if you have recommendations. Here's my reasoning.

    "a" is the front door. My front porch is recessed a little, so although anyone going onto the porch will be seen by two cameras, any activity that actually takes place on the porch is out of view.

    "b" covers the major blind spot, that is the top-side access to my back yard. It also covers the neighbor's driveway, so, hey bonus for him.

    "c" covers the back yard. I'm not particularly worried about this, because there is a near impossible wall of greenery back there along with a 7ft tall wood fence. Given that there is a side street 2 properties away, I have never had anyone trespass in my back yard. There are also "beware of dog" signs on my fence, and a big ole' dog in the back yard (dog door, she goes out any time she wants, and her favorite hobby is listening for people and then going outside to bark at them). This would mostly be so my SO can watch the dogs in the back yard.

    Which do you think is best? Or is there another option I'm not seeing? Cameras 2 and 3 are set in stone, they cannot move. Camera 1 can be relocated.


    Finally, I'm using Arlo Pro 2 cameras in wired mode, but feel that they're not exactly worth the cost. I can still return them and buy another set of cameras. For this situation, what camera would you recommend? Important features to me include the ability to set locations for motion detection, quality night vision, and free recording.

    submitted by /u/exie610
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody have thoughts on doors?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:30 AM PDT

    Ideally, looking for some insight on what kinds of construction are good or bad, any brands to look for or avoid, that kind of thing. I'm trying to come in at the $250-$350 range, and I'd love to get it from one of the box stores that has included installation. At the moment, I'm looking at one with an insulated core in a sheet metal (25 ga) shell. I don't live in a particularly high crime area, my neighbors are very chill people (a lot of retirees), so I'm looking for something that'll improve my current door's very mediocre security and insulation (not-awesome fit, big-ass window, just wood), but not necessarily looking for something to hold off Visigoths.

    I've got a decent lock and deadbolt I plan to transfer, and plan to do the usual stuff of putting in better screws and strike plates.

    submitted by /u/Kradget
    [link] [comments]

    What would I need to view and have rca component cams to record on pc.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    So I can currently get 4 brand new security cams for a good price, they're all rca component cams ,yellow and red wires.

    My question is what would I need to be able to view these cams on my PC, and possibly record from them in the PC.

    Or would I just be better off to get a DVR and a spare tv?

    I'd rather have it record on a spare HDD in my PC.

    submitted by /u/Usernamechecks101
    [link] [comments]

    Camera recommendations?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    Does anyone have experience with this security camera system?

    Pros? Cons? Is it user/newbie friendly? We currently have a ring doorbell and I'm looking for something with a continuous video feed.

    submitted by /u/ItsSamiTime
    [link] [comments]

    Is there something that will sound the alarm in another room?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 08:28 PM PDT

    Our alarm panel is loud when it's tripped, but it's downstairs and we sleep with a fan and are heavy sleepers, so the few times it was tripped accidentally we did not wake up from the alarm.

    Is there some sort of extension that we can plug in our room to make an alarm go off there as well when the panel is tripped that is inexpensive? Any information is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/DanielBVBorussia
    [link] [comments]

    In the market for a shotgun... Need help deciding which to purchase

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    Good afternoon everybody,

    I'm sure this reddit has been pretty busy during these crazy times and I hope that all of you and your families are safe. I've recently gone from interested in a shotgun (**strictly for the purpose of home defense**) to in the market for one. After quite a bit of reading.. I believe that a 12 gauge pump action with a pistol grip makes the most sense for me.

    I don't want to make this post too long, but I am definitely open to more options if they are presented. That said, I feel as though semi-auto shotguns are more prone to jamming and more difficult to clean, which are cons that outweigh the benefits, IMO. I feel as though having a stock is almost mandatory. I like the pistol grip for control and the one handed capability in regards to reloading and being able to move a child out of the way in the home, etc etc.

    I think the Remington 870 is a beautiful, durable gun, and very effective... but my one reservation is that I haven't seen any options with rails for a light attachment, which is something I am interested in.

    Below are the two options that I have narrowed it down to... One thing I am unsure about with the Winchester is the breach muzzle... does that affect accuracy in any way? Other than that, I have heard from a military friend that he prefers Mossberg as a brand, and that seems to be brand that law enforcement prefers as well. Was wondering if anyone could expand on why that might be.

    Winchester SXE Extreme Defender FDE:
    https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/sxp/SXP-Current-Products/sxp-extreme-defender-fde.html
    Mossberg 500 ATI Tactical:
    https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-ati-tactical-50424/

    Thank you anyone for your input. I've got a wife who is 11 weeks pregnant and two dogs. We live in a house where our neighbors homes are at least 20 yards away from us. I have a .45 1911 that I love, but don't like that it will penetrate walls with ease. I just want to feel more confident in my ability to defend my family and my home, and hope that you all can help me make my final decision here :)

    Best regards, STAY SAFE!

    submitted by /u/butternutzlol
    [link] [comments]

    Add-on PoE mic to replace built-in camera mic?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    I have a number of Dahua PoE IP cameras, all with built in mics. The mics pick up sound from pretty far, but they're not very clear. This weekend our next door neighbor's rowhome was broken into, and the police came looking for footage today. I have some footage through the gap between the wall and fence, but there's a considerable amount of audio of the robbers talking. Unfortunately i can't make any of it out. Got me thinking that maybe I should just invest in a standalone mic.

    Since my cameras have mics built in, that don't have an input for audio - just Ethernet (PoE) and optional 12V power. I run all my cams on PoE, cause who wants to deal with power wires and wall warts. I know there are ways to connect an external mic into the camera with dedicated power running to the mic, but is there such a thing as PoE mics? And if so, are they any good? It would be far easier to get a PoE splitter to power a mic than find a place to connect dedicated power.

    submitted by /u/rfehr613
    [link] [comments]

    NVR Stopped Recording Motion Clips? Amcrest NVR / x3 8mp Bullets

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    Last night I went into the web service to check on the cameras and decided to up the bitrate to a software capped 6656kbs, 4k resolution, and switched to VBR - highest quality aka level 6.

    My HDD is a 2tb Amcrest 1408 system and has sat on 0gb free for a few months now with no issues saving motion captures. I assumed this was because it was doing overwrites (I have it set at 5 days). However, last night I decided to turn on 24/7 recording alongside motion for my driveway.. Around 5pm today, the web service playback isn't showing any motion captures; which isn't right.. However, I am still receiving notifications from the iOS app and can view the motion capture by checking the event list.. However, playback in the app isn't showing motion captures logged.

    Could this be because my driveway is continually writing to the HDD 24/7 now?

    submitted by /u/_jetter
    [link] [comments]

    Blue Iris - How are you syncing your clips off-site?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 06:30 PM PDT

    For those Blue Iris users, if you are, how are you getting your clips off in near-real time?

    I have been using Synology CloudSync which works great, but I really, really, really need to move my clips off the NAS as its around 14TB of very expensive storage. I have 4 bays in my NVR and spare drives, and I have been messing with sync software, but none of it seems to just work

    I am thinking of using the built in FTP upload, but the problem I am facing is that it doesn't support SFTP, so it makes my ideas about locating a system elsewhere much more complicated as I cant simply do a small SSH tunnel to get the port I need from the NVR

    submitted by /u/xOhoKsDU9Va
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment