• Breaking News

    Monday, June 8, 2020

    Home Improvement: R-60 Insulation makes a huge difference in the summer!!

    Home Improvement: R-60 Insulation makes a huge difference in the summer!!


    R-60 Insulation makes a huge difference in the summer!!

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    I moved into a 1952 house last spring. During the inspection we found out that the attic had about an inch of compressed old double faced insulation.

    Shortly after we moved in we had 5 Mitsubishi hyper heat split units installed. If we turned all of them on the house was comfortable and cool during hot sunny days.

    But in the back of my mind I knew the lack of insulation in the attic was a serious issue- but summertime in the North East is not a time to be in an attic - you would die up there.

    This past fall we hauled out all of the old insulation and spent a lot of time air sealing the entire attic. There were an unbelievable amount of air leaks. I then blew in 20 inches of cellulose, Which is equivalent to R-60. This past winter the house was very comfortable.

    Right now it's 93 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Last year on hot days like this I could feel the ceilings radiating heat inside in our upstairs bedrooms. I went out and bought a laser thermometer and the highest ceiling temperature I measured was 133 degrees.

    Fast forward to today. It's after 4:00 PM and I just turned on one of the mini splits on the first floor because we are working from home and it's a starting to warm up a little.

    I went upstairs and used the laser thermometer to measure the ceilings in the bedrooms and they all read 72 degrees and all upstairs mini splits have not been turned on today. Last summer all 5 mini splits would have been on all day long on a 93 degree day.

    Absolutely worth all the blood sweat and tears last fall to complete that insulation project!

    Edit- working in an attic, removing insulation, air sealing, blowing in insulation, is a BIG DEAL.

    I will never do it again, ever. Ever. Ever. You should not do it. Hip roof, tight spaces, roofing nails, heat, Tyvek suits, respirators, hauling stuff to the dump, mega fights with the wife, 3 Shitty cellulose blowing machines breaking down, rain, sudden heat wave, trying to find same size bathroom vent fans from the 70's, dealing with Lowe's on a weekend, seeing cellulose scraps in your garage for a year, cleaning the house after... ahhhh

    I did it with the wife... and she was a trooper.

    When I was 18 in between high school and college, my buddy and I got a job as a "Mason's Apprentice".

    Turns out that 3 dump trucks of fire place rock got dumped one driveway wrong. So, my buddy and I got hired on at 4 times minimum wage to use wheel barrows to collect the rock, haul it up a semi steep driveway, down the driveway next door, and unload.

    In the middle of summer. I was 18 and in great shape. We made it 3 weeks and we quit.

    I would rather do the rock hauling job again for a month for free rather than the attic job we did.

    I see posts about people complaining about professional insulators quotes- 90% of you would likely drop dead doing it.

    Write a check.

    It took 4 times as long as anticipated with a cushion

    submitted by /u/Corona_Virus_Guy
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] My dad wants to SAW the gap between the boards on our deck.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 06:59 AM PDT

    My father lives in a condo that he owns. Every year the small deck outside the condo gets dirty. The tops of the boards get grimey and turn green on top. When it is power washed it goes away. As far as I know the boards aren't rotting or anything.

    My dad thinks that it's due to water and snow collecting on the deck without a lot of space to drain. The boards have grooves where they connect, but there is no actual opening. So his solution is to saw in between each board to make space for water to drain.

    Since it power washes off I'm sure the wood isn't losing integrity really. It just seems like outdoor buildup of dirt, grime, pollen, water, etc.

    I told him I wouldn't help him because this seems like a dumb idea, and he'll probably ruin the deck. His reasoning to do this is so he doesn't have to replace the deck. This way, he doesn't have to pay for a power washer. I think he's just going to create a reason to need to replace the deck. Plus I think the deck will still get dirty.

    I'm not crazy right? This sounds like a really silly solution to me. Is this even a feasible thing to do without ruining the deck, either structurally or cosmetically?

    submitted by /u/CaptOrdinary
    [link] [comments]

    First home together

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    My boyfriend and I signed the contract for our flat today! So we are inofficial flat owners rn and really looking forward to turning 800 square feet into our own oasis! I wanted to share wirh you guys, since my family doesn't support us buying our first home together.

    submitted by /u/julesresi
    [link] [comments]

    Costco shed install soon, have questions about prepping area

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:52 AM PDT

    Hi! I bought a Costco shed with an install date in two weeks. The faq aren't very expansive and I haven't heard back from them yet, so I thought I would ask here.

    The shed foundation is pressure treated runners. The site I have planned just had blackberry sprayed and tilled/removed. I was thinking about putting down heavy duty landscaping fabric under the site to minimize any blackberry from coming back. Not that it gets sun under there but that damn blackberry- life finds a way! I wasn't sure if it was okay to have a material touching the pressure treated lumber.

    I also am wondering how awful of a plan it is NOT to do gravel. It's too big of a job for me to try to deal with getting heavy rock to the site, and I have a hard time finding labor in my town that doesn't flake on me. Concrete won't work due to a GIANT tree in my yard and it's roots will ruin a pad over time.

    I live in zone 9- we get some rain in the winter months and it's hot as hades half the year. My yard never floods or puddles.

    I plan on insulating and drywalling to use as a craft room.

    Thanks!

    Edit: I really appreciate the help. I've called so so many times to try to discuss this with the installers. Mailbox full, no response to emails, I'm kinda worried that this is a shit show and not a such a good deal by buying a Costco shed, if they don't help a homeowner set up the site for success.

    submitted by /u/skankenstein
    [link] [comments]

    Will my raised stone patio support the weight of a pool?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:28 AM PDT

    I'm looking to put in an above ground pool with a ~750gal capacity, but am not sure if my stone patio will support the weight. Is there any way to tell? Patio was already installed when we bought the house, so I have no clue on construction methods.

    By my calculations with water, pool frame weight, and people it'll be ~7000lbs maximum.

    Patio photo: https://imgur.com/a/7HVFPiR

    submitted by /u/ubiquitous-guacamole
    [link] [comments]

    Butcher block counter top with drop in sink

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    I am going to install a butcher block counter top with a drop in sink. After I make my cut for the sink, do I need to treat the area around the cut and the cut itself with mineral oil or anything before installing the sink? Any suggestions on what type of saw to use for the cut? I have the birch from Lowes Home Improvement. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ridesforfun
    [link] [comments]

    Just a friendly reminder to all the amateur DIYers...

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    Always measure twice before you start the work. https://ibb.co/Jjb9NVv

    submitted by /u/have2gopee
    [link] [comments]

    I would like to install a kitchen backsplash, but I've got a few questions first ...

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    Within the next month, I'll probably start buying the products to install a kitchen backsplash. We'll probably go with basic subway ceramic tiles.

    I've watched a couple videos but I'm somehow confused on some parts...

    • Are spacers essential? Looks like some people use them, some don't... are they for aesthetics purposes? (spacers = bigger lines = better contrast after applying grout ?)

    • Will I need a wet saw to cut the subway ceramic tiles? In a specific video, the guy was using a grinder only (with a tile cutter of course), which looked pretty efficient at cutting the small gaps for the electrical plugs.

    • The most difficult part appears to be the starting point, making sure it's level in a way that will require the least amount of cuts throughout the job. How do you determine where and how to start? If you follow the counter edge, you might have a ) shape. But if you don't, and follow a straight line, won't you have a gap at the opposite end if your counters aren't level?

    • Do I need to patch small screw holes on the wall before applying the tile adhesive ?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/lorty
    [link] [comments]

    Horizontal gap between bottom of storm door and sill

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    So, yeah, pretty much what it say in the title. There's a gap of little over a centimeter (I can easily fit a finger into the gap) and I'm looking for a way to close it, since my landlord doesn't see this as an issue. Suggestions? (preferably something that a landlord can't complain about)

    Note: vertically, the door and sill are okay

    submitted by /u/Ilickedthecinnabar
    [link] [comments]

    Return Air Vent Whistling

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:22 AM PDT

    I recently finished renovating my house. I installed a new return air grille. Nothing special, typical Home Depot grille HDX brand. For past few months it's been an open rectangular hole. Once I placed the grille over it, I began to hear a whistling noise from the vent.

    I suspect the grille is reducing airflow and I'm getting a whistle from the increase in velocity and smaller grille slay openings.

    What are some of my options? 1. Could I take a pair of pliers and open each louvre to be perpendicular to the wall? 2. Could I buy wide grille vents?

    Looking for some advice.

    submitted by /u/jellyking_1990
    [link] [comments]

    1/2” vs 1/4” impact driver

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    Pretty much the title. I'm looking to get my first impact driver. Would be mostly to turn screws, maybe some drill bits, a small amount of automotive work. The 1/4" I'm looking at has an integrated coupler. I suppose I could get a coupler bit that would pair to my 3/8" socket set, I'm not sure if the same could be done to reduce the 1/2" down to a 1/4" bit size or not. Please help, I'm not quite sure which is best for my uses. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Freeasabird01
    [link] [comments]

    What will I need to Install a garbage disposal?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    I would like to install a garbage disposal. I'm new to plumbing but not new to DIY. I've watched a few videos, so I'm familiar with the overall process of the installation, but everything shows plastic pipes, and mine are metal (brass?).

    This is what it looks like under my sink: https://imgur.com/a/z9BPiJX

    Other than the disposal itself, what will I need for this installation? In particular how do I connect the plastic tailpipe from the disposal into the metal P-Trap? Is the existing connector sufficient? If I loosen all of those connections with some channel locks, do I need to re-teflon them before tightening?

    submitted by /u/Rene_DeMariocartes
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on French Drain next to Driveway

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:22 PM PDT

    I am looking to install a French drain next to my garage and driveway due to water from occasional heavy rain entering my garage (Northeast Ohio) My neighbors yard slopes down to mine. First time home owner looking for a cost effective resolution. Trench length is 170 feet and will empty into the swale next to the street. I am seeking advice on pipe style (corrugated vs PVC), necessary slope, and amount of gravel needed. Many thanks!

    submitted by /u/bigcountrymen
    [link] [comments]

    French drain installation question

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    So I've been meaning to plant a garden in the backyard, but the excess water has made the soil muddy and unsuitable for many plants. The wet area is along the back shared fence in our yard.

    The neighbours on the other side have removed all their grass for stone and they occasionally dump the water from the kid's pool on that same back fence. Along with the downward slope of each yard, we get a muddy mess.

    Would the best solution to drain the excess water there be installing a french drain along the fence? Is there another option that may be more suitable? I'm completely new to this so any advice is welcome.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/LeafsGame7
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get rid of musty smells from electronics/gadgets that have been stored in a basement for years?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:16 PM PDT

    Things like old consoles, video game cartridges, electronics, etc.

    I want to clean them and get rid of the musty smell at the same time. What cleaners/techniques should I use? Also, how the heck do you stop a basement from developing those smells in the first place?

    submitted by /u/zekromkid
    [link] [comments]

    Is yearly AC unit maintenance required? How much does it cost?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    Is yearly AC unit maintenance required? How much does it cost?

    Own an 1150 sq ft condo. Haven't done anything with the AC for 3 yrs...

    submitted by /u/CoffeeForMe19
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to drill in pull down sun shades - hitting metal?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    We just bought a 1950s house Arizona that has the original windows. We were attempting to drill in pull down sun shades and about an inch in, we hit metal. The previous owner used a self drilling screw (?) for one window but not any of the (5) other windows. Using the self drilling screw we can punch through the metal.

    House is completely cinderblock. Any advice/opinions on what the metal could be around the windows would be appreciated. I'm slightly worried we could be hitting something important — just don't know what (all windows are in bedrooms/screws are going in within 4 inches of the window)...also any advice on how to drill into the cinderblock walls for anchoring/hanging heavy things like pictures/bookshelves, would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/MessyBurnette
    [link] [comments]

    My husband and I accidentally locked ourselves in different rooms.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 02:50 PM PDT

    We can't open the old awful windows, and he took the doorknobs off so it isn't a matter of just opening the door. I was cleaning the door because it had dirt on it, and idk what he was doing in the other room.

    Fuck.

    Edit: he was able to open his window.

    submitted by /u/sk8erboi1985
    [link] [comments]

    Help running wire behind drywall.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    I'm trying to run speaker wire down 5' from an outlet as you can see here. The bottom hole is ¾" and slightly offset from vertical with the outlet. I tried using fish tape but haven't had any luck, and I don't think there's a fire break there. Is there some way I can fish this wire? Thanks.

    Update:
    I cut a square out of the drywall where I thought a stud finder indicated a cross bar (or fire break). That was equidistant from the outlet and the hole. Once it was out, there was no cross bar. I tried running the fish tape down again and was able to find it in the new cutout. Now I just need to be able to run it from the cutout to the hole below. There may be a cross bar there.

    Update 2:
    Running the wire from the cutout to the hole proved more difficult than anticipated. I can see the wire, but it's too thick to make the turn through the hole. Im going to have to make another cutout around the hole to widen it. I've got 3 more speakers after this so...

    submitted by /u/TrumpzHair
    [link] [comments]

    Kitchen on a budget

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:50 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm a young homeowner and I'm looking for some advice on doing up my kitchen. I have ripped out the old kitchen and everything else with it and got my first fix in place. So I'm essiantially starting from scratch.

    I was thinking of buying the carcasses and assembling the kitchen myself and just buying the doors seperate. Is this the cheapest most effective way to fit a new kitchen or are there some other methods that you could recommend?

    submitted by /u/benmiller1999
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended way to address heat intake from floor to ceiling windows (condo)

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    I've been struggling with temperature control with one bedroom in the two bedroom condo I own (northern midwest U.S.). The troublesome room has floor to ceiling windows (facing east). In temperature extremes, that room can have a 15-20 degree difference (F) than the rest of the condo, even with central air and heating. I've actually found that space heaters work well for the extreme cold, so my biggest concern is the heat, especially since this room has become my office for the foreseeable future with new work from home directives. I'll share more details of measurements and what I've tried so far, and then ask the overall questions.

    Details: -mid-size condo building (10 floors)

    -10' ceiling

    -for the side with the floor to ceiling windows, three window panels wide, each glass pane 41 inches wide

    -2 of the three vertical panels have a hopper window (window hinges inside) for the bottom third of the window (window: 41" by 33")

    -not my exact window, but similar setup (minus balcony): https://aama-media.s3.amazonaws.com/ecb48350-fbcd-11e7-9d99-95cded3bdd44.thumb.jpg

    -a single supply vent along one of the side walls, approximately 7' from window, and a return vent on opposite wall from windows

    What we've tried so far:

    -Installed both shades and blackout curtains: minimal impact

    -Installed a ceiling fan: minimal impact

    -Keeping the door open with a fan to blow the colder air from the rest of the condo into the room: minimal impact

    -Thinking something was wrong with the vent, we brought out an HVAC contractor to investigate. Air flow was fine, and we were told that the setup was just poorly built initially; a single vent that far away from windows isn't enough. The contractor could not confirm in the initial assessment whether the duct went closer to the window for a second vent.

    The biggest success we've had is a portable AC unit, but because of the hopper windows, we place the vent tube into the hallway. However, it's frustrating since I can't then shut the door for privacy during my many conference calls. (plus, it's not at all efficient for the rest of the condo cooling)

    Questions:

    -Does anyone have an insight on how to vent a portable AC unit with a large hopper window?

    -I've been hesitant to invest in the UV window film because of the minimal success of the blackout curtains--does someone have experience in UV film level of success?

    -For a longer term solution, I've been debating whether to focus on windows or the HVAC setup. The cost and amount of disruption for either solution, with an unknown amount of success, has me a bit concerned. Obviously, in both instances, there is the condo board and association to consider, but I'm looking for what may be the best solution before I go for condo association approval. Any additional tips or insight would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/butternut_squad
    [link] [comments]

    How can fix this wall?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/EYxkC32

    So I decided to replace my glued on mirror with a medicine cabinet for extra storage. I used a hammer to rip mirror off the wall and now I have this monstrosity. I thought about covering it up with the medicine cabinet but I ultimately decided it would be better to just fix the wall and repaint it. I also discovered two holes while changing out my vanity lights. How can I fix these? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/temisola1
    [link] [comments]

    Basement room without permit

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    We want to make a small room in the basement of our house in MA, either to host friend or family, or for our kid to play later.

    The ceiling is only 6.6f and so not high enough to get a permit and do it legally. I am now thinking about doing it without permit, on my own and by hiring a few professionals for some tasks (electricity or plumbing for example).

    I have a few questions I am not sure about:

    We have no plan to qualify the basement as finished, or to qualify the room as a bed room or any habitable space.

    What are the risks doing that ?

    Will it be a problem when selling the house in the future and will we have to disassemble everything ? Is there any way to avoid any problem ?

    Can we get permits at least for a few tasks, like electricity or plumbing, in order to limit any risks ?

    Maybe it is very greedy, but what about also adding a small bathroom in this context ?

    Thanks a lot

    Thomas

    submitted by /u/coolbordel
    [link] [comments]

    Permitting and building codes

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    I'm in Orange County Florida, city of Orlando. How can I tell what I'm allowed to do in my backyard without a permit? Where do I find the codes I have to follow?

    Examples:

    • I need a shed and I would love to build it myself. Can I?

    • I have an existing slab I'd like to install a roofed pergola on. The power line to the house goes over the slab; does that cause an issue? The meter is also in that general area; does that pose any issues?

    • What do I need to know about the gas line from my propane tank to my kitchen that runs on back of my house if I install a permanent grill in an outdoor kitchen?

    Where am I supposed to find the answers to these types of questions?

    submitted by /u/Cthon99
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment