• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 31, 2021

    Home Improvement: FUCK ROOF RATS

    Home Improvement: FUCK ROOF RATS


    FUCK ROOF RATS

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:06 PM PST

    They're fairly common in some areas of Phoenix. We had them in our attic and I could hear them running around at night. It was driving me nuts. Pest control companies quoted an average of $800ish. I think I got rid of those by finding their entry point. They're still eating our citrus tho. I got drunk and made a trap lol. Anyone else have stories?

    https://i.imgur.com/zmbRty8.jpg

    submitted by /u/drunkbackpacker
    [link] [comments]

    I hate to have to write this at the age of 35, but I know last summer took a toll on my lower back (heavy rocks, and such) so does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality brace, or support of any that won’t kill me in the humid heat during the warmer months to help my old man back?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 05:06 AM PST

    Located in Ontario Canada.

    Edit: I didn't think this would get attention like it did. I added my location as I thought maybe 1-2 people may toss me a link.

    Just want to say THANK YOU to everyone.

    My pain is minor but I can feel it acting up a tiny bit with the colder months so I was trying to think ahead.

    I will certainly look into self help / professional help for stretches, exercises etc and no brace!

    Again, thank you all for the great comments and recommendations. Really appreciate it

    submitted by /u/BookRead8585
    [link] [comments]

    Why are my walls so thin?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 02:31 PM PST

    I bought this house 6 years ago and ever since I've been wondering why all my walls are only 2-3 inches thick. Was this a kit house of some sort? Sears? Was it someone's garage? Also most of the walls seem to be built out of plywood of some kind, not drywall. The house is 762 square feet and built in 1945. Even my back door frame is thicker than the back wall. See pictures below.

    EDIT : House is in Northeast Indiana

    Back door frame

    https://imgur.com/TDsnlkh

    between living room and kitchen

    https://imgur.com/xx6Folb

    bedroom door frame

    https://imgur.com/zJOxLZm

    bathroom door frame

    https://imgur.com/BCD7b4J

    submitted by /u/rartuin270
    [link] [comments]

    Blown in insulation for soundproofing

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 06:32 PM PST

    Anyone have experience with this as opposed to opening up the walls and adding true soundproofing? Not sure we want to go that in depth, but doing something that could improve it a little would be great.

    submitted by /u/Zetrin
    [link] [comments]

    Ladder Recommendation for First Time Homeowner

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:13 PM PST

    Recently purchased my first home and it's a one story. I know absolutely nothing about ladders and what to look for, so hoping to get some recommendations and tips. Ideally, I'd like something compact and easy to carry/store.

    Went to Costco today and saw a Little Giant ladder with wheels that extends to 15ft for around $160, I believe. At Lowe's, the cheapest/most similar Little Giant has no wheels and extends to 14ft and is $156.

    submitted by /u/unrecognized88
    [link] [comments]

    Roof Repair

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 12:57 PM PST

    Thanks to all the inspiration posts on here I decided I would learn how to patch a roof instead of paying someone else. My knees and calves hate me today, but it's something I know how to do now and nothing I'm afraid of anymore. Two weeks ago it was a leaky pipe going to my water heater, and now it's roofing. Apparently 2021 wants me to learn how to do everything.

    So yesterday I spent most of the day fixing a leak that a raccoon caused. I don't know why but he decided to rip up a portion of the roof before I scared him off. We also had a storm last year that did some other damage higher up that you can see in the pics. That I attempted to repair using those liquid repair kits. This fix was definitely much better and hopefully will last until we either sell or replace the roof.

    pics

    submitted by /u/EmpathicOx56099
    [link] [comments]

    Removing Drop Ceiling

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 02:14 PM PST

    So I have a paneled basement with a drop ceiling the panels are about 3 inches from the actual bottom of the ceiling when I remove the drop. I was wondering what people would suggest if I paint the panel and remove the drop for drywall. Do you just put like a 1x4 all the way around the room to hold up the edges of the drywall or what would you guys suggest?

    Here are some pictures for reference:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/cRHoYwS

    submitted by /u/bltallest
    [link] [comments]

    Question about hardwood flooring on stairs

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:37 PM PST

    I'm finally getting around to installing hardwood flooring on the stairs. I pulled the carpet off today in preparation to start installing this week. I found that on each side of all the treads there is about a 1" gap between the tread and the wall. I never noticed it with the carpet there. Since I'm installing engineered hardwood flooring I don't think it'll be strong enough on the edges with support under it.

    My only 2 real options I can think of is pulling up the treads and installing ones that butt up against the wall or leave as is and install molding that would take up about half of the unsupported space which wasn't something I was planning to do.

    Here is the gap

    submitted by /u/rymaples
    [link] [comments]

    Is this fence worth fixing?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 07:44 PM PST

    So I've got a house on a court, which means my trapezoidal lot has FIVE neighbors: one of each side, three on the back properly line.

    In our recent windstorm, the fence section for one of the three backyard fence neighbors collapsed.

    Photos of the generally neglected fence: https://imgur.com/gallery/v05HSYM

    Today, I patched and repaired and reinforced as best as could, but I wonder if I need to replace these old, warped 2x4 horizontal beams and most of these planks.

    I'm also wondering if I should cut maybe an inch off the bottom of the middle planks where the warping has pushed them down into the soil.

    Fortunately, all of the 4x4 fence posts are secure and upright and not rotted.

    submitted by /u/TimboCA
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my bathroom smell like burnt hair?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:52 PM PST

    It's not super strong, but it's lingering. No heat hair tools have been used in days. The outlet isn't hot either, and it doesn't really smell like it's coming from the vent. What could be causing this sent?

    submitted by /u/ChocyChipWookie77
    [link] [comments]

    Mold on bathroom wall in mobile home

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:35 PM PST

    How do I get rod of mold on bathroom wall that keeps co!ing back I have damp rid and the Wal-Mart brand but it doesn't look like it is doing the job

    submitted by /u/Due_External_3980
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to secure my electric garage door better w/out damaging the door?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 09:28 PM PST

    I'm a renter and I have my own single car garage with motorized door and remote. Since I can't go to the gym anymore, I was thinking of purchasing gym equipment and using my garage as a home gym. Is there anyway to make the garage extra secure from thief's without making any sort of damage that my landlord will penalize me for?

    Thanks!

    Edit: I forgot to mention this garage is detached from my apartment, it's across the alleyway from the back of my building.

    submitted by /u/LemmePetYourCat
    [link] [comments]

    Any alternatives to command hooks? Mine keep falling off

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:35 PM PST

    I'm not allowed to hammer any nails in and command hooks fall off shortly after putting them on. I used adhesive hooks but they are not removable and usually take part of the paint off when removed. Any alternatives?

    submitted by /u/jayx468
    [link] [comments]

    Adding insulation to attic floor, or below floorboards, so that floor can still be useable (storage, walking, etc)

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 06:20 PM PST

    As I learn more about the DIY world, I recently learned my Mom's house has really inefficient. First thing that probably needs to be addressed is the minimal (or lack of) insulation between the 2nd floor at the attic. She doesn't believe there is any - maybe theres an inch or two of old blown-in if we're lucky?

    I want to be able to make her situation better. The house is old - built around 1940 - and the attic is just wooden floorboards. I'm trying to decide what options are available...

    The easiest thing I could consider would be to do blown insulation under the floorboards - the attic is currently used for storage and there is a LOT of stuff right now. I'm thinking maybe you can pull up a couple boards across the length of the attic and blow in some insulation?

    The depth of the flooring is probably only ~6 inches, so not a lot... but it would be something...

    .

    I feel like the long term idea would be to move everything to one half of attic, pull up the floor boards, add some more wood on top of the current floor support (to create like 8-12" of space for insulation), put in a ton of sheet insulation, then reinstall the floorboards so there is still a floor usable for storage. Then repeat on the other side.

    Pretty new to insulation and projects this intensive.... any advice would be helpful!

    submitted by /u/Atomicbob11
    [link] [comments]

    How wide does a hallway need to be in my basement to pass inspection?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:26 PM PST

    I'm reading that the minimum width of a hallway in the United States is 36 inches in order to comply with ADA regulations (I.e. wide enough for a wheelchair).

    However, my basement is down a super steep fight of stairs and the basement itself isn't even ADA accessible.

    Also, all the doorways to the rooms in the house are only 28-30 inches, so does the hallway really need to be 36 just to get to a 28 inch doorway?

    We only have 32 inches of room in if we were to add walls on either side and make a hallway, and just want to know if that's going to be allowed.

    submitted by /u/fppfle
    [link] [comments]

    Mysterious CAT 5 found running through electrical box??

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 10:01 PM PST

    I was in the middle of replacing the phone jacks with ethernet ports in my home when I came across a blank faceplate. Behind it I found two taught CAT 5 cables that ran vertically through the electrical box. Does anyone here know why this may have been done?

    Edit: The house was built 1998

    submitted by /u/CircuitBr8ker
    [link] [comments]

    Matching ceiling paint

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:38 PM PST

    Any tip of how to match ceiling paint? I removed two fixtures in my kitchen and installed new recessed lighting, patched the old holes where the two fixtures were, primed them, and then used some ceiling paint that was left over by the previous owner a year ago. The paint is not at all close and much whiter.

    Should I just give in and repaint the whole ceiling or is matching a color and blending in possible?

    submitted by /u/Alewyz
    [link] [comments]

    Help with soundproofing

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 07:21 PM PST

    I just moved into a roadside apartment (second floor) and it's so noisy with the traffic. I have single pane sliding doors that aren't sealed properly, wooden floors, and single pane windows (again, not great sealing).

    My plan is to seal the sliding doors and windows with compression sealer/brush seals and silicone up any gaps in the bits that don't move. Does that plan make sense? My landlord won't pay for anything so I need to do it as cheap as possible.

    Any advice you can give is very welcome! Thank you.

    submitted by /u/geowiser
    [link] [comments]

    Need to replace pneumatic door closer. How do I know which one to buy?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 09:17 PM PST

    I don't know what brand door I have. It is a glass storm door that is all glass and has 2 closets, one at the top and one at the bottom. The bottom one has a button to step on and that's the one that is getting jammed up. Are these standard or do I need to match the brand?

    EDIT: this looks like the right color and design

    submitted by /u/barnacledoor
    [link] [comments]

    Water trickling down garage walls from attic

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 06:08 PM PST

    Hi folks. First time home owner here. I need help identifying the root cause for condensation issue in my garage attic. Garage is not insulated but the walls are finished with drywalls. I've been noticing water trickling down the two walls which are not attached to the house since fall of last year. The water tricking down is not easily visible against the white wall but shows up at an angle when lights are on. Its not too much but has got me concerned.

    I got up the attic and tried to see if I can trace the leak. All I could see was the vents being damp which to me seems highly unlikely to be the cause. There were no other traces of leak. There's no water lines running through the garage as well. What could be causing this? Any help is really appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Amdeekay
    [link] [comments]

    Best method to weatherstrip our hundred year old front door?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:35 AM PST

    We have a hundred year old house with its original front door that's really really drafty. If it's windy outside and I hold my hand near the edges of the door (all around, including the bottom), it feels like there's an AC on at full blast on the other side! There's also a glass window in the middle of the door that rattles and lets the breeze in. We're trying to determine the best method to add some weatherstripping that will cut down the draft as much as possible, but hopefully still retain the overall beauty of the door. We don't need perfection, just something to make the situation a bit better than it currently is. Any thoughts or suggestions?

    Pictures of the door: https://imgur.com/a/NKWlVxw

    submitted by /u/lilac-gooseberry
    [link] [comments]

    How can I improve the curb appeal of this house?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:18 PM PST

    Brick Colonial house with an odd addition of siding to the middle front of the house.

    Not sure why this would be added to the home. Is it purely cosmetic? Could it be removed and roof line restored? If it can be removed, how much would this cost? (just a ballpark)

    If it can't be removed, how would I make this look better?

    https://imgur.com/a/uQdInt7

    submitted by /u/LeftCoastLyfe
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone worked with papercrete or alternative fill concrete?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:09 PM PST

    So I am making this post because of a video I watched about a woman using papercrete to build her own house. She did not go into detail about her structure but it seemed like the papercrete was taking the place of exterior walls and she used a finer papercrete as a stucco on the outside. My question if you have worked with this material is how durable is it? How waterproof/mold resistant is it (I immediately thought wood pulp is a perfect base for mold to feed on. This person seemed to live in an desert climate so I'm guessing AZ or NV possibly, I live in the Midwest and wanted to see if this or other alternative fill (styrofoam, saw dust, aircrete) would be possible in this climate. I was thinking about possibly doing an insulated out building, but if it makes more sense to stick to more traditional means (timber frame, house wrap, siding, and fiberglass insulation) I understand.

    submitted by /u/Computron1234
    [link] [comments]

    How, and where do you drain dirty well water?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:00 PM PST

    You can't just drain all the bad water into the bushes, can you?

    submitted by /u/hdhebe87
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment