• Breaking News

    Monday, June 29, 2020

    Home Improvement: Grandson Needs Advice

    Home Improvement: Grandson Needs Advice


    Grandson Needs Advice

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    Hey /r/HomeImprovement. So, I am a 22 year old graduate student and I just learned my fall classes are going to be online. I want to find opportunities to keep my mind occupied on something productive, rather than being on the computer.

    I am lucky that my grandparents only live 5 minutes away and for the next few months I want to really fix up their house. Kind of like an on call handyman but I am their grandson!

    Am I a prick or pushy if I want to do this for them? A weekend ago I cleaned their garage and I have never seen so many spider egg sacs before in my life!

    My grandpa has a nice shop vac, beautiful gardening tools, and a bunch of stuff (like good ladders) but he's 95 years old and can only do so much (like, nothing).

    I have the desire to do this because I actually live in an apartment with my mom and with COVID happening I really believe that there is benefit to doing chores outside.

    Some things I want to do:

    1. Garden/regularly water grass and flowers
    2. Continue fixing up garage (get rid of huge grease spot)
    3. de clutter garage
    4. figure out why their kitchen lights always go out
    5. general house cleaning
    6. gutter cleaning

    Writing it out like this is actually making me feel like I wouldn't be too much of a prick but I am curious about what the subreddit's opinion is.

    My mom is fairly hesistant because I suggested stuff like planting/gardening and also maybe getting a great hose but she says that its not worth it.

    I am also a 22 year old male. Is this worth my time?

    submitted by /u/jr1c
    [link] [comments]

    Did my contractor get the steps wrong?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    Some background. We are located in Philadelphia, had an existing deck and have hired a company to build steps and put in a patio.

    We asked for a set of steps coming off the deck that turned once with a platform. Something seems wrong. The railing is really low (by nearly a foot from the deck railing) and the step boards only lean against existing deck by about 2 inches. I'm of the mind that the step board should take up most of the existing width of the side of the deck and the railing should meet the deck as well. All this seems really wrong.

    How would you address this?

    deck steps

    submitted by /u/jayessicaa
    [link] [comments]

    Are there big differences in quality between electrical outlets?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:00 PM PDT

    I some basic outlets at my local hardware store are under $1, and some are more than $5, seemingly for the same thing. Is this a situation where you get what you pay for, or are they essentially equal?

    submitted by /u/0resistance_OBEY
    [link] [comments]

    Inexperienced guy looking for advice

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 05:43 AM PDT

    I'm currently a grad student who will be graduating next year and will be (hopefully) buying a house in the next 3-5. I'm an inexperienced guy (I built a coffee table once which came out surprisingly well but was a very simplistic design) and I'd like to start building some skills when it comes to home improvements and create the confidence and knowhow to take on some projects like tiling, flooring, and building a deck. Home improvements are something that I think you really learn over the years with personal experience, of which I have zero, but can anybody give me some guidance on somewhere to start to learn basic skills? I know that the local Home Depot has classes, but I have yet to try one. Any quality youtube video series? Any well known in-person classes that I could take in the future? Any and all advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Pizzampras
    [link] [comments]

    HVAC filters: what's considered "dirty" and ready to replace?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    I've read that one should replace an HVAC filter every 3-6 months. I replaced mine 6 months ago, and it was slightly greyish today. Not exactly filthy. Is it worth replacing? Or just plan to replace every year instead? I've seen pictures of clearly dirty/filthy ones. But should I replace it if it's just a bit greyish/dusty, but not too dirty?

    submitted by /u/buddyjstewart
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with living room fireplace redesign.

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 04:42 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,I am facing a problem and would love to have the input of the community on how to go about it.current state of the living room : https://i.imgur.com/PDNqo9W.png

    We currently have storage on each side of the fireplace that are built with what seem to be good quality wood. But the problem is that the shape and color does not look modern and it provide very little actual storage space. We live in a tiny condominium and we need to put all the space we have to good use :)

    What we would like something that look more modern but also provide the illusion of "more space" while also providing more real storage spaceI have something like this in mind : https://i.imgur.com/fR5wW4n.png

    Anyone have suggestion of what we should build and if we should meet with a designer, a contractor or a carpenter?

    submitted by /u/skyde
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for inspiration for what to do with a giant outdoor dog run

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 04:05 PM PDT

    So the prior owners of my house built a big enclosed outdoor dog run. It's anchored in a cement slab so not easily removable. Pictures here.

    It's probably around 20-25 feet long and 5 feet wide. I'm going to clear the brush around it and power wash it to clean it up but after that I'm not sure what to do with the thing.

    I have young kids so in particular I'd love ideas for something fun this could be for them.

    Any fun ideas as to what this could become?

    submitted by /u/AllHailKeanu
    [link] [comments]

    Complimentary Colors - Siding and Brick

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 06:23 PM PDT

    So, our house looks like the siding and paint colors were picked by Dwight K Schrute. The siding isn't going to be easy to change out, so we were looking to change the brick. The only question is what color. I was thinking a mid-range gray and the wife is less than tickled by that idea. Anyone with a eye for colors can give us a hand?

    https://imgur.com/a/JR0689S

    submitted by /u/traros22
    [link] [comments]

    Table saw or miter?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    I am a newbie at cutting wood but i have some handrails and decking boards i need to replace and i am tired of paying someone for jobs like this.. should i spring $600 or so for a dewalt table saw or do a miter saw? will be replacing mostly 2X4s bu may eventually want to expand my deck once i get used to cutting

    submitted by /u/southernman9191
    [link] [comments]

    First time homeowner with a dryer tripping a unique looking circuit breaker

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    We purchased a brand new dryer recently. After letting the dryer run for around 10 or 15 minutes, you can open the door and the breaker will immediately trip. It's also obvious that there was only heat in the dryer for around the first couple minutes. The dryer is simply spinning without heating up.

    I have a repair person coming on Monday next week to look specifically at the dryer. I figured it might be a good idea to take a look at the circuit breaker to see if it should be replaced when I came across this:

    I'm struggling to know what to search for to replace/repair this. The only thing I've come across are ganged circuit breakers, but I don't know enough about it to feel comfortable making any attempt at repair.

    Should I contact an electrician to have a look, or is this a common thing?

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/_COWBOY_DAN
    [link] [comments]

    Need some advice on how to vent my dryer.

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    We had an all-in-one ventless washer/dryer unit break down on us so now we're looking to replace it with a GE 'unitized spacemaker'. The problem is that the original vent is not in a convenient location and will take 2 or 3 90 degree bends and approximately 6.5 feet of venting to reach.

    This is our current layout. The wall behind the cabinet and laundry machine is a false wall with about 5-5.5 inches of a gap. The wall behind that is an external block wall. This is also where our electric panel is and where the main electric line comes in (as you can see from the pics).

    Does this seem inefficient/dangerous enough to warrant having a new dryer vent installed in the external wall? Or should I attempt to build venting behind the false wall to reach the old dryer vent? Our house is block and i'm not sure how trivial it is to put yet another hole in our external wall 3 feet from the first one. Also, who would we even call to have that done?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/phordee
    [link] [comments]

    Green stuff on roof. How to fix?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    Ripping out carpet is easy

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    But these fucking staples... My god...

    This Lifeproof LVP better be reeeeeeeal good.

    submitted by /u/jacplindyy
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it take to install ecobee smart thermostat?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    So, I was talking with HVAC who was doing routine maintenance check, and they were quoting me for 180$ per hour. My current AC/Heater is LENOX with 2100 SQRF and no issues of what so ever.

    First of all, I dont mind paying someone to install it, but can they finish it within an hour? I know it varies, so I am not looking for accurate answer, but just wanted to double check with general consensus.

    Secondly, Is this smart thermostat something DIY, or is it best to let someone in profession do it? My skills in this type of work is very limited.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/typardi
    [link] [comments]

    I accidentally used modified thinset when Durock membrane calls for unmodified.

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    I asked the clerk for unmodified, they gave me thinset with polymer.

    https://i.imgur.com/Z8XK1b8.jpg

    I put the membrane against hardiebacker board.

    https://i.imgur.com/VKeoGCR.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/rGBuouC.jpg

    How fucked am I? Should I remove the membrane, redo with unmodified thinset now? Is there something special I should do to make it work as is? I really don't want to redo it. What's your opinion?

    submitted by /u/pknopf
    [link] [comments]

    Filling knot holes in floor boards from crawl space

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 07:16 PM PDT

    I live in a 100 year old house in northern California. There are several spots in our original hardwood floors that feel soft and bend a little when you step on them. We have access to the crawl space and I can see that there are knot holes in the floor boards under these spaces. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to sturdy up the floor from underneath without tearing everything up. I'm considering filling the knot holes with wood filler, adding a bit of tape to hold it in place so it can dry without sagging, then screwing in a wooden support bar between the two joists once it has cured. Does anyone have any advice or experience with something like this?

    Photo of one of the knots: https://imgur.com/AaW3ans

    submitted by /u/ActiveApathy
    [link] [comments]

    Help with cracks above ceiling edge

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 09:12 PM PDT

    Seeking advice on the cracks in the images below since they are different from what I've been able to search for thus far. The difference is that these go along the edges of the room and are on the ceiling.

    I was thinking about maybe filling these with spackle as I plan to re-paint the entire room. Does that sound like the best solve? I don't see these types of cracks anywhere else in my apartment so I want to ensure that I address this properly so it doesn't get worse.

    https://imgur.com/a/PSlkfGX

    submitted by /u/Jsant1210
    [link] [comments]

    3 sets of wire coming in to ceiling fixture

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/YrE4918.jpg

    See attached image for some clarification.

    I recently removed a fan to replace with a light fixture. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the configuration before removing. I now have 3 sets of wire, none of which appear to have any voltage (tested with a pen with electricity still on) and am unsure how to rewire.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/chiefdesigner
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap, impermanent ideas for a rental apartment

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 09:06 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    As it's been several months since the start of working from home, I'm wondering what are some cheap and impermanent ideas to spruce up my Los Angeles studio apartment since I likely won't be able to go back to an office for many many months.

    Before someone asks why I would bother improving a property I don't own: if I currently live here and spend a lot of time here, why wouldn't I invest in my own quaran-comforts?

    So far I've replaced the window treatment in the main area by removing the vertical blinds and replacing them with curtains. Any other fun ideas I should try? I'd like to feel at home as I also imagine myself living here for a longer period of time.

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: expensive ideas are also welcome, just trying to gather some inspiration

    submitted by /u/artblock
    [link] [comments]

    Best Current Hose? Also, any recent experience w/ Craftsman rubber hoses @ Ace?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:48 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm wondering if anyone has recent experiences with the Craftsman rubber hoses from Ace. Previously, when Craftsman was sold at Sears (RIP) they were considered best in class, however more recently there has been a lot of discussion indicating that has changed. The old ones were MiUSA, all rubber, hexagonal, while the new ones are allegedly made in china, more lightweight, and have worse hardware. Looking at the website though, it's tough to tell if maybe Ace has some old ones that they're still selling - I was under the impression that the new lower quality ones did not have the same hexagonal design.

    I've also heard some people suggest Continental hoses, though I'm not really sure which ones, some people suggest contractor grade hoses (again, not sure which ones,) and some people like Flexzilla hoses, but I've heard a good amount of reports that they're prone to developing mold on the outside, so I'm not really sure about those.

    What *recent* experiences to do you guys have? Anyone able to confirm what those hoses are that Ace is selling? I don't have one nearby so I'd be shipping them, and even if I did, I don't have one of the older hoses to compare to. I'm just trying to optimize my hose purchase and would love if maybe I could get some updated recommendations, as all the extensive hose discussion seems to be over a year old, which means it's mostly people still recommending the Sears Craftsman hoses.

    submitted by /u/diversification
    [link] [comments]

    Oven cord won't plug in

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    The power cord for my oven will only go halfway in. I have pushed and jiggled and switched to a new cord, and it doesn't budge. The left prong is getting stuck on something. I recently plugged it in when there were 2 ungrounded wires and the outlet sparked. It hasn't plugged in all the way since. What might have happened and how can I fix it? images here

    submitted by /u/marybethlillian
    [link] [comments]

    Home inspector missed some major issues - is there any recourse? Is there a governing body I can report them to?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    Recently purchased a home and had a really quick closing. We scrambled to find a home inspector and ended up picking one that my realtor had worked with years prior who had been in the business for awhile.

    Long story short, he missed some major issues. Some of them being:

    -He advised us we could vent our gas dryer in to a dryer vent box in the garage (failed to tell us that gas dryers release carbon monoxide and cannot be vented in to a closed space) -Our stairs are all jacked up and not to code. They're over 8 inches so when we recently got vinyl plank put in and it was a nightmare for the installers -Dishwasher has major leak -No exhaust fan in main bathroom -Toilet in guest bathroom runs every time it's used -Bathtub/shower is incredibly slow to drain -Loose hardwood planks in main living room area -Visible water damage on hardwood -Doorbell doesnt function -No insulation in room above garage

    I recognize that most of these things are fairly minor but do feel like they should have been addressed in an inspection report.

    I sent him an email after we moved in and discovered these issues and he basically skirted responsibility and ended up offering to refund $150 (I paid $385 for inspection)

    I'd normally just roll my eyes and move on with my life but I'm pissed. I don't even expect more money back at this point because I don't see that happening but is there a way to report him to some sort of governing body? I plan to outline all of this in a detailed review oj google/yelp but would like for other people not to be screwed over later on.

    I'm in CA if that matters. Thank you for any help or advice

    submitted by /u/thenine1one
    [link] [comments]

    Pier footers - done correctly or avoid this home?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    I am looking at buying a home that was built in 1908. It was recently flipped and looks like they did a pretty good job cosmetically.

    My biggest concern is these footers in the basement. They are filled with concrete at the bottom. Floor on first level is a little uneven but to be expected with an old home.

    Are these pillars legit and done correctly?basement picture

    submitted by /u/neon_titties
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a metal roof joined to shingles more clean?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    A few months ago I had a minor roof leak in my shingle roof due to a flat part of my roof that was pooling water due to an addition done prior to my purchasing the home. I called a local contractor and asked them to take a look. Their recommendation was to add a metal roof at a slope that went over the flat part in order to run the water off so it would not hit the flat part and pool up. Fast forward, they built the metal add on and tied it into the shingles. It may be the nature of the materials, but the "joint" between the shingles and the metal roof looks very bad to me (see picture). I was wondering if there was anything I could do to potentially make the line look cleaner, or am I being anal?

    I asked the contractor about coming out to fix it and he ghosted me, so any modifications are on my own. One thought I had was was to get some construction adhesive and put under the shingles and apply weight until the adhesive dried, but I did a test of that on a couple of shingles and it seems like the sun gets too hot and the adhesive will come undone.

    Any suggestions, or is this pretty typical with this type of set up? I'd like for it to be a flat / clean line if possible. Thanks in advance.

    Image from Ground: https://imgur.com/a/WUYKYeK

    submitted by /u/TheCrappyCraftsman
    [link] [comments]

    Stain and seal bled through fence, too heavy handed?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 05:54 AM PDT

    My neighbors applied stain and seal to their fences both, different colors. This weekend I applied ready seal redwood to the back of my fence that doesn't share with my neighbors. It looks like it bled through at many parts, especially at the knots in the wood. Was I being too heavy handed?

    I'm especially worried when I move to attempting to stain and seal the fence that shares with neighbors. Has this happened to anyone before? Should I just do lighter coats? Are my fence boards too thin?

    Pics of back https://imgur.com/a/hxBaoAF

    submitted by /u/Weird_Surname
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment