• Breaking News

    Monday, May 25, 2020

    Home security: New Rule - Do not promote illegal activity

    Home security: New Rule - Do not promote illegal activity


    New Rule - Do not promote illegal activity

    Posted: 25 May 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    I really didn't think I needed to make an explicit rule for this, since it should fall under the main Reddit.com site rules, but I'm making this one "double against the rules" because some people need the extra reminder.

    Recently there was a post about one user putting over the counter drugs into fudge and packaging them up as confectioneries for porch pirates. This post has been removed, and any posts like it will also be removed.

    People, this is wrong. This is illegal. It's what you would call a "booby trap" (and not the fun kind). Porch pirates are horrible people, but in nearly all jurisdictions, you cannot use booby traps, and you certainly can't trick people into ingesting drugs.

    "But Mark Rober did it with glitter and fart spray!"

    This is not glitter and fart spray. This is tricking someone into ingesting a drug that is intended to alter their body's behavior and could cause interactions due to allergies, other medications, or other substances in a person's body.

    A note on the rule: What is illegal is different in different areas. Because of this, we're going to say if something is illegal in most of the US/Canada/UK/Australia, then it doesn't belong here, since that's where most of our users reside. If you reside outside these countries, please specify that you do if you want to talk about something that's legal in your area but may not be in these countries. We will take into account the OP's location if specified in the post/comment. For example, if someone from the UK posts and says they're from the UK, do not recommend they get a firearm for home defense. It is well-known that this is highly illegal in the UK. However, you may suggest it if the OP's location is either unknown, or known that they are in the US. The rule will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

    If your post/comment is removed or you are banned due to the application of this rule, the burden is on you to prove that the activity is not illegal. This will require a credible source, and you may need to edit your post/comment with the source and specifically where it is legal.

    Note: This rule does not apply to posts/comments asking about the legality of something, although you should avoid taking legal advice from strangers on the internet.

    submitted by /u/mr1337
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning Plex computer to security computer

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    I have an older laptop. On 24/7 as a Plex server. Recently had an incident and I want to get some WiFi security cameras to cover the front And side of my house.

    What I'm looking for is a way to have 2 or 3 cameras, motion activated, feed footage to my computer. I don't really need live feeds on my phone or anything fancy.

    Just wondering what the best place for me to start is.

    submitted by /u/wonka88
    [link] [comments]

    Security Camera Not Much Use

    Posted: 25 May 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right subreddit for a question like this, but it seemed like the best bet. My house has a Vivint security system with an outdoor camera, and this past weekend two brand new (fairly expensive) mountain bikes I bought got stolen. I had them chained to the deck intentionally right in view of the camera, but when I checked the camera after realizing they were gone it said it hadn't been recording for the last couple weeks because of "lost internet connection", yet the rest of the system is and was fine and I haven't noticed any internet issues. It didn't give any notification or anything that it went offline, or pop up as an issue on the control panel.

    So my question is if there is anything I could do with Vivint to try and get any kind of reimbursement or anything or am I just SOL?

    I know it's likely the former but I thought I would see if there is really anything I can do about it, I live in a relatively small town so security footage could've been a big help in maybe getting back the bikes.

    submitted by /u/Habs419
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for wireless outdoor security camera with free cloud storage

    Posted: 25 May 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    I am looking to get a 4-5 camera system that I can set up outdoor that can do motion detection but also alert me on the phone if there is any activity. Something that is reliable, has good battery life and also has an app that would let me view recorded footage but also real-time. Is there any alternative to the blink xt2 that won't break the bank?

    submitted by /u/Harryisamazing
    [link] [comments]

    ANNKE H.265 8CH POE Security Camera System 8MP 4K $323.99 for 10% off

    Posted: 25 May 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    Annke deal, just saw this on Slickdeals, if its wrong place to share this, i will delete it

    https://slickdeals.net/f/14079851-annke-h-265-8ch-poe-security-camera-system-8mp-4k-323-99-for-10-off

    submitted by /u/jaaaz
    [link] [comments]

    <$100 single wireless/wired camera that doesn't use an app and can record/be viewed directly to a PC?

    Posted: 24 May 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    I only have two spots I really want to cover with one camera each, but I don't really want to spend on an NVR/Camera package, nor do I want to have to figure out where I'd feed long cables to keep them out of sight. All of the popular wireless cameras I see all seem to have makers that force you to use their app, and I see people trying to do workarounds like using an emulator and a screen recorder. I don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops to have a simple affordable setup, and I don't want to keep pulling and checking SD cards. Can anyone recommend a good quality camera that I can use and record directly to one of my computers? Preferably wireless, but wired works too.

    submitted by /u/CoolbreezeFromSteam
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment