• Breaking News

    Monday, May 25, 2020

    Home Improvement: 24 Hour Laundry Room Renovation

    Home Improvement: 24 Hour Laundry Room Renovation


    24 Hour Laundry Room Renovation

    Posted: 25 May 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    Quick, cheap, and easy for a couple of first time renovators. Step 1 Demo- We first started to take out the built in shelving unit that came with the house. It was easier than expected. Then we just removed all junk and the appliances out of the room.

    Step 2 Wall repair- we filled in all the nail holes and sanded it all down smooth then used a texture spray can and re textured the walls.

    Step 3 Paint- The paint was easy choice and the color we chose was called mineral white from Lowe's. Everything in that room was very dingy and yellow and we wanted to paint everything nice and white to give an illusion that the space is bigger.

    Step 4 Floor installation- The floor in that room was very cheap flooring. So we ended up getting stick on wood flooring which was very cost efficient. It was our first time using this and thought it was very easy to do and once we got used to cutting our corner pieces it was great.

    Step 5 Memorial Day washer Sale- this renovation was very last minute. We went in to look at a friends washer and a dryer but we ended up purchasing a new set as well because appliances were on sale. So we picked up pretty everything we needed (floors,paint,etc) in one trip.

    Step 6 Shelving- Since the room is so small, we needed shelving to be functional. And thought it would look great if the shelving and the floors matched. We did end up sawing off few inches off to fit on our wall.

    Step 7 DECORATE- This was the easiest step. Home goods is life.

    Before

    Progress

    After

    submitted by /u/Combatwombat0311
    [link] [comments]

    Redoing my bathroom

    Posted: 25 May 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    Decided it was time to update my bathroom, got a new vanity and new flooring and installed everything myself, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Dot the dog seems to be happy too.

    The flooring is lifeproof vinyl which is pretty easy to install.

    Redoing the bathroom

    submitted by /u/OogieBoogie1
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult is making your own paver patio + roof?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    The biggest DIY task I've done is build deck stairs and a paver landing for them. Paver patios don't seem difficult to me (I'd rent a plate compactor and do it right if I did it myself). Framing the roof seems more challenging. I could of course contract that part out and still save money doing the pavers myself.

    submitted by /u/Zappa-
    [link] [comments]

    Finally finished my biggest home improvement project yet - stairs renovation, from dirty old carpet and six layers of paint, to wood.

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    Two weeks ago, I decided to do something about the stairs in my new house. It was a rental for over a decade so everything in it is a bit slapdash. They stairs were covered in carpet, the color can only be described as four day old vomit. I didn't know what was underneath but I figured, since it's an old cottage, there was a good chance it could be wood.

    I also had to sand and paint the walls from some awful magnolia business to Dulux White Cotton. In the process I found an old damp stain which made the paint peel off like a wet sticker. I scraped off the loose paint which was now becoming a giant patch and treated it with Zinsser Stain Cover, but the spray made the the edges just peel further. I used a multi purpose filler on the edges and sanded to make a smooth transition and stop it from spreading.

    The stairs were covered with carpet, I lifted that and underneath found chipping and yellowed white paint. Scraped off the loose paint to find the lilac in the picture. At this point I knew there were more layers underneath and I'd have to get paint strippers. It took four rounds of paint stripping gel to get to the wood, in the process I also found yellow, brown and finally white again.

    Once I got to the wood (knotty pine), I sanded it with 80 and 120 grit, dyed it with Colron Georgian Oak dye twice, and applied clear matt varnish. Then I painted the verticals with Dulux Trade White Base Coat and Dulux Gloss White for wood.

    Absolutely exhausting process but I'm happy with the results. I only have before and after pictures (you can see the awful lilac), as it was such a big amount of work that I didn't even think to take progress photos. It's definitely not a pro finish, but I'm happy, and it sure beats the carpet.

    Photos:before&after

    submitted by /u/cellokitty
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use Wood 2x4s for a 'Box Spring'?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:10 PM PDT

    I have a queen-sized mattress and bed frame. The bed frame needs a box spring or base. It's so expensive to get just a box spring delivered, and the assembled ones on amazon do not look sturdy.

    Can I use wood 2x4s, or another thickness, as a safe alternative to a box spring? Safe enough that it won't crack or break w/ 2 thick people moving around and having sex?

    submitted by /u/kadditor
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling fan switch is driving me crazy, can't find replacement

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    My wife broke the ceiling fan switch this morning. No big deal, right? Yeah.....so I thought. It is a KTE 308A switch, and apparently they don't make them any more. I don't know where to go. KTE makes a crap ton of other switches, all of them are 3089 and then various switching versions.

    I guess I'm stuck. I don't want to replace the $200 fan for the want of an $8 switch, but I don't want to get the wrong switch either.

    Can you point me in the right direction? It is a 4 wire switch.

    Edit: I actually just said screw it and drilled the rivets out of the switch housing then took the switch apart. I'm going to get a new chain and power wire for it tomorrow and reuse the old switch. I guess when you have nothing to lose, sometimes stuff happens.

    submitted by /u/seriousallthetime
    [link] [comments]

    I sprayed poison outside along the doors and windows a month ago. This morning there’s 20 dead roaches outside.

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    I am wondering why there are so many there a all at once and if there's some other source I need to find. Is it normal for them to all come out at once like that?

    submitted by /u/STELLAWASADlVER
    [link] [comments]

    Shed move and patio install

    Posted: 25 May 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    Wanted to share my little project . I've wanted to move this shed since I moved in 2 years ago.

    Had to remove all the play sand from underneath (swing set before shed I guess) before laying the patio base. Overall, a nice spot and fun project.

    submitted by /u/swmill08
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid Nerf bullet

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:52 PM PDT

    My son likes to take his nerf gun and shoot in the air outside well two nerf bullets and a wasp nest ended up clogging the gutter. 6 days of rain and I just now found out. dehumidifier has to go in the basement now.

    submitted by /u/BMikeHunt
    [link] [comments]

    Need help timing steps for deck project

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    Hello, I need some guidance with timing for my deck project. I live in Minnesota, south of the twin cities.

    I just finished stripping my deck last Thursday. Took me four days to complete. It rained the last 3 days and will rain tomorrow. I need to sand, brighten, then stain with a TWP 100 oil. The weather will be cloudy but no rain in the plans until June 3rd. That gives me 7 days to dry from the current rain, sand and then brighten the deck. I then need a couple days for it to dry to stain, and then I need a couple days clear for the stain to dry.

    TWP says to use the brightener after sanding, which means i have to wet the deck again after sanding. There are DIY posts saying if you sand and it rains you need to start all over again with cleaning the deck (The striping process took me 4 days, maybe cleaning will be less but I would rather not have to start over).

    My question is can I go forward and brighten the deck this week, ride out the next wave of storms, and stain when I have enough time for it to dry properly?

    Why is ok to get a deck wet with the brightening process but a couple days of rain will have to make me start over the cleaning process?

    Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/fade1979
    [link] [comments]

    Remodeling a room which has been painted many times before. How do I make these walls looks brand new?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 06:51 AM PDT

    Hi, new poster here, so please don't be to harsh. My wife and I are remodeling our guest bedroom in out house that was built in the 90's. The room has been haphazardly painted many times over again. http://imgur.com/gallery/FcC0V8r it has many drips and random things stuck in the paint. And is just generally ugly looking so we don't just want to paint over it and call it good. How do you fix these mistakes? Just sand it down? What grit sandpaper do you use? Is things we should know, but don't know to ask?

    submitted by /u/Plead_thy_fifth
    [link] [comments]

    Paint color advice - photoshopped listing images vs real life

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    Bought my very first condo - didn't realize how much the listing photos were photoshopped until after closing and moving in! Doh!

    Here are the listing photos:

    Dinning: https://imgur.com/15I3ME1

    Living Room: https://imgur.com/nqFrKi7

    And this is what it looks like later in the day and w/out photoshop:

    Dinning/Stairs/Kitchen: https://imgur.com/fS9KrXe

    Living Room: https://imgur.com/QXyTOrF

    Note: the big beige patch on the right of the living room window is from a leak fix.

    The three colors I have tried are right underneath the window - the grays are too blue and the light beige is too light. I am trying to find a color closest to the gray in the Dinning area listing photo - any advice? I realize the floor looks a bit lighter in the photoshopped pics, so will need something that will work with the darker floor.

    Whoops - just noticed the dirty dishes in my pictures.

    submitted by /u/RoofusChance
    [link] [comments]

    Raised W/D - Ideas Needed

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    We decided to build raised platforms for our W/D and include pull out drawers on bottom (still to be finished). A 36" sink and cabinet will be installed to the right.

    My plan was to have a hanging rack above sink to hang clothes, then just floating shelves above units for art pieces. But I'm not sold on my plan any longer. I'm struggling with what else to do above the units. Can anyone share their pics to give me ideas?

    I'm installing floor cabinets/folding table on opposite wall (5'). So I'm not really interested in more cabinets. Thanks in advance. Ideas needed!

    submitted by /u/_danigirl
    [link] [comments]

    Help: Accent Wall Turned Out Too Dark

    Posted: 25 May 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    Hey there, everyone! Took a swing at interior painting for the first time last night to paint an accent wall in my room. I was looking for an intense, deep neutral charcoal color. After an hour browsing through paints at Home Depot, I settled on PPG Glidden "Black Magic", as the sample sheet looked to be exactly what I was after, although I had a gut feeling it would be too dark. After reassurance from the sales associate that it was a very deep gray and not black as the name might suggest, I went with it. Chose the high-end "Timeless" and in flat/matte.

    Welp, should've stuck with my gut feeling because now I have a black wall in my room. I'm wondering what could've happened? Could it have been mixed wrong or perhaps drastic difference in lighting in my room? Could I have done something wrong when painting?

    Lastly, any paint recommendations for when I repaint this sucker? Thinking maybe Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal.

    What I thought I was getting: https://imgur.com/a/NlP5dlX

    What I got: https://imgur.com/a/5A23poO

    Definitely has me feeling down today. :(

    submitted by /u/Normanomicon
    [link] [comments]

    Precast vs prefab fireplace for wood burning

    Posted: 25 May 2020 10:24 PM PDT

    I like to burn large fires. I asked the architect for a large fireplace in our addition. He drew in 42" and specified prefab. After doing some research I found that prefab fireplaces often don't hold up to large wood burning fires and the metal walls can warp creating a fire hazard since nothing else separates from the wood framing.

    The house is framed and the builder is asking me which fireplace I want. He pointed me to the vendor he likes to use. I told the builder I'd prefer precast but he is pushing back, saying he likes to use this vendor. I've read that any mason can install a precast fireplace in a couple of hours.

    1. Any advice on precast vs. prefab for my use case?
    2. How to handle the builder? He's generally very nice and professional. I've made other upgrades during the project so it's not about him asking for an extra couple thousand. He seems genuinely dissuaded by precast. Or nervous since he hasn't done it before.
    submitted by /u/dadmakefire
    [link] [comments]

    removing wahsing machine drain water hose

    Posted: 25 May 2020 06:23 PM PDT

    seems impossible to remove from the unit ....do I have to remove the back panel ??

    it's an estate model by whirlpool

    submitted by /u/whateverx2019
    [link] [comments]

    Any idea on what this pipe is for?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    I recently bought my first home and it is new to me. The basement has an unfinished area which has provisions to turn it into a full bath plus an additional room/man cave. I see a pipe which looks odd and doesn't seem to relate to the bathroom. it is oddly placed as it falls inside the additional room area. I have attached a pic here, any help/comment is greatly appreciated.

    here are some pics

    Edit: pics updated

    submitted by /u/prazy4real
    [link] [comments]

    Exterior cleaning tips?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    My first choice would be using current products that I might have at home vs buying chemicals. If needed I'll buy chemicals, but that would be my 2nd choice.

    Front entry door threshold Image

    Gutters Image

    Sidelight Image Image Image Image

    submitted by /u/Alabaster13
    [link] [comments]

    Dishwasher question - what is this white stuff stuck to my dishes??

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    Hope this is okay to post here, I have no clue where else to ask...

    I've been increasingly noticing this strange white mottled film on my dishes after running the dishwasher; initially I was only noticing it on a few dishes, but now it's on all of them. Silverware doesn't seem to be affected. It's most noticeable on dark parts of the dishes, but if you hold them up to the light you can see patches all over the dish that are just sort of matte instead of shiny and reflecting the light like the rest of the surface. You can see a more obvious example where it looks almost chalky, on the dark edges of the plates in this pic.

    Everything I can find online suggests it looks like mineral deposits from hard water, but I can't figure out why the hardness of my water would have drastically changed all of a sudden?? I also haven't changed the detergent pods I'm using, or anything else I can think of. Strangely, it's actually pretty hard to clean these "stains" off the dishes - wiping them or rinsing them with water doesn't make a difference at all, I have to really scrub them with soap.

    Any ideas as to what's going on here? And how to fix it?? I've poked around in the dishwasher as much as I can without taking anything apart, and nothing seems to be clogged or anything. No problems draining, no visible debris, etc. I feel like it's maybe been a bit noisier lately when I run it? But hard to know for sure...

    Thanks so much for any thoughts or suggestions!!

    submitted by /u/questionasker2019
    [link] [comments]

    Outlets loose or don’t work, electrician time?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I just moved in to my first house two days ago, and joined your subreddit about two weeks ago. If this post breaks any rules please let me know, as I'm new here.

    Several of our wall outlets feel loose, and by that I mean that things plugged in feel like they're about to fall out. Plus, some don't see to work at all or require the plug to be at a very specific angle to work. Is this something that I need to get an electrician to check? Being my first house I'm super nervous to work on things so if it's borderline I'll pony up, but if this is relatively easy I'd like to learn how to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/shut-up_Todd
    [link] [comments]

    Floor stripping waxing

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    I need to strip and wax a busy hospital floor fast I have to strip one side then the other then seal and wax quick I need tips advice tweaks please high traffic area, considering one coat sealer then a few coats of finish

    submitted by /u/tmothyb2020
    [link] [comments]

    Clean out crawl space prior to conditioning of the crawl space?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    Because of the pandemic, I'm doing a lot of home improvement projects. One of the things that I'm going to have done in about a year is condition the crawl space (seal up the vents, remove the batt insulation, vapor barrier on the "floor" of the crawl space, spray foam insulation on the walls, etc). I went into the crawl space and there's just a lot of junk down there. Things such as bricks, discarded wires, just trash from previous repairs, etc.

    Should I clean this out on my own prior to having the pros do their work? Or will the pros clean this out anyways?

    submitted by /u/JasterMereel42
    [link] [comments]

    Gamer Iso soundproofing ideas

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:30 PM PDT

    I have a shared wall with a roomate, our bedrooms are right next to each others and I want to put my tv on that wall. I have seen these foam stick on pads, and I was hoping those coupled with some soundproof curtains over top would at least lessen the sound my roommate would have to put up with. I've also considered mass loaded vinyl but it seems akward and ugly. And ideas or recomendations would be greatly appreciated by both me AND my roommate.

    submitted by /u/Joeschwe
    [link] [comments]

    Snail in a storage room

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:23 PM PDT

    Problem:

    Late night studying, I wanted to go to bed and when I turned light on in one of the rooms that I use it as storage rooms, there was a SNAIL without the shell.

    Cause:

    It rained heavily today. Other than that, I do not live near any creek or water.

    Description:

    It still appears to be mucinous and moving. I don't know how it got here. It is a size of my pinky finger (yes, it is thick but not making any progress to move anywhere since there is no watery place and the fact that it is on carpet does not help. I can see the clear mucous things on its belly and on the carpet. Eww!

    Solution:

    Can anyone help me please?

    Tl;Dr - I found a snail in one of empty room. I don't know what to do! Help me please!

    submitted by /u/ChickenLittle08
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment