• Breaking News

    Monday, May 11, 2020

    Home security: Need help deciding on a camera system for my house

    Home security: Need help deciding on a camera system for my house


    Need help deciding on a camera system for my house

    Posted: 11 May 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    I've been through a ton of posts and am having trouble coming to any sort of decision based on all the options that are out there, so I'm here asking for help.

    My Security Needs:

    • My house is fairly small, but in a sketchy neighborhood and I'm looking to have camera on four different points
      • Front walkway/front door
      • Side yard/driveway (where I park)
      • Backyard/backdoor
      • (optional) Tool shed that's away from my house about 25 feet.
    • What I'm looking for in a camera system:
      • Fairly easy to setup and maintain (I can do the wiring no problem)
      • $600 or below for the entire system (lower is better obviously)
      • Something that constantly records and stores the last 2 or so weeks of footage.
      • Something hands-off. I want a system that I can setup and not really worry about, but can go back and reference when something does get stolen.
      • Nightvision for all cameras, and a clear enough picture to make out a face to give to police.
      • A plus: being able to view live video

    I see recommendations for Blue Iris on a PC vs the NVR, but it sounds technical to get the network set up. It'd be great if I could just buy a good NVR system with 4 cameras from Dahua or Hikvision and just set it up and be good.

    submitted by /u/slowturtle2
    [link] [comments]

    Need suggestions for home cameras

    Posted: 11 May 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    I've been considering for awhile getting outdoor cameras but I live in a mostly retired people/young couples with toddlers neighborhood so it has never been a big deal.

    With all that said this morning i woke up to all 3 vehicles broken into and i assume it was just some teenagers looking to do some mischief, the nice car they took my changed and 2 phone chargers no big deal. My extra car has nothing in it to take, and I assume it was just dumb teens based on this one.

    My work truck that has a $300 radio face plate and probably $900ish in tools sitting in it and they only took maybe $10 in change and 2 or 3 phone chargers between the 3 vehicles.

    So im looking for something relatively cheap, maybe 2 or 3 cameras doesnt have to be anything amazing as like i said dumb teens and now ill just lock my vehicle doors and/or park in garage. Don't really expect it to happen again but just incase.

    submitted by /u/StrawberryK
    [link] [comments]

    I don't think these were here before...

    Posted: 10 May 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    Need advice on wireless outdoor cameras

    Posted: 11 May 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    I have been doing some research but I am having a hard time figuring out which outdoor wireless security camera system is worth buying. I have been looking at the eufy cam e system. Is there something better or would these be good enough?

    submitted by /u/Blacklabel505
    [link] [comments]

    Dahua epoe cameras and *nix only network

    Posted: 11 May 2020 12:46 PM PDT

    I'm researching ip cameras for a DIY setup. I plan on running all off a poe switch and have read good things about dahua's epoe, but they seem to rely heavily on their customers purchasing apple or windows licenses for their "configtool".

    Anyone have any experience with them? Can they be administered via dhcp/web interface or are they basically "win-cameras"?

    submitted by /u/h1pp13p373
    [link] [comments]

    Opinion?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    In terms of home defense who thinks that you have a right to be able to protect your property vs just inside home?

    submitted by /u/bored_taco
    [link] [comments]

    How to get rid of nighttime window reflection glare on camera feed? If possible

    Posted: 10 May 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    So I bought an indoor security camera that faces outside to the vehicles and front door but at nighttime and when night vision is on, the light in the room causes a glare reflection onto the window making a big blindspot on the camera feed until the room is no longer in use. The camera is already as close as it can be to the window. Is there any way to remove this glare somehow?

    submitted by /u/AruoraOkami
    [link] [comments]

    Mossberg 590m

    Posted: 10 May 2020 06:41 PM PDT

    Script to move Dahua snapshots out of native directory to a better folder for viewing.

    Posted: 10 May 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    I posted this originally over at ipcamtalk but since everyone doesn't go over there, I thought I'd post to Reddit in case someone else is in need of something similar.

    tl;dr - I made a script that moves Dahua snapshots out of its ridiculously complicated directory structure and into a Samba share that is easier to view for LAN clients.

    ----

    At home, I run a simple one camera Dahua DH-SD22204UE-GN PTZ setup. It records 24x7x365 to a Linux machine/NAS running Xeoma.

    The issue with 24x7 recording is if an event occurs that you need to go back and see, you have no idea the time/day at which it happened. So I setup tripwires in the camera management interface and enabled the camera to take a snapshot (.jpg) when someone/something crosses the tripwire. The trip wires are placed in various parts of my yard (on screen) that someone would have to cross in order to get to my house/car. Taking a snapshot of a trip wire event is helpful since if I ever need to go back and see the recorded footage, the snapshot has a timestamp with it so I can go directly to the video archive. So now instead of looking around and randomly fast forwarding through 8+ hours of night time footage looking for an event that may or may not have happened, I can go right to the event based on the timestamp in the snapshot. Snapshots are stored to a NFS directory I setup on my NAS.

    The main problem is the camera has limited options for notifying you a snapshot took place. The camera itself does have email capability when a trip wire events occurs but I didn't want to have the camera email me when a tripwire event/snapshot happens as it just fills up my phone with unneeded email spam. Another problem is when a snapshot occurs currently due to a tripwire event, the camera stores the .jpg snapshot in an obscure directory structure that is highly convoluted and not at all conducive to viewing. So I set out to correct that.

    I wrote a script that executes via crontab the following day (morning) that copies all snapshots taken from tripwire induced events during the previous night out of a NFS folder I setup on the NAS for the camera snapshots and into another folder on the same server that is then shared out via Samba. I can then connect to that Samba folder from any laptop/desktop in my home (via File Explorer or whatever you want) and view the snapshots right from there. The entire process is automated so all I do is grab breakfast, fire up the laptop, browse to the shared snapshot folder, and have a quick look and see what the camera took snapshots of the night before. If I see something suspicious I now have a snapshot of it and can go right to the recorded footage without fumbling around trying to guess when it happened. The script that does the work is as follow:

    #!/bin/bash # Sets variable to yesterday's date so we can get into the correct directory we need # that the camera saves its snapshots in the previous night YEST=/mnt/cam_raw_snap/frontcam/[serial number]/$(date -d '-1 day' '+%Y-%m-%d') # Renames all of yesterday's .jpgs in cam snapshot folders # to creation time since the camera sometimes duplicates snapshot names. files=($(find $YEST -type f -name '*.jpg')) for f in "${files[@]}"; do mv -f -- "$f" "${f%/*}/$(date -r "$f" +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S-%N).jpg" done # Copies renamed .jpgs from cam snapshot directories # into a SAMBA share. A new directory with yesterday's # date is created for easy viewing. find $YEST -name \*.jpg | rsync -av --files-from - --no-relative / /mnt/camsnaps/$(date -d '-1 day' '+%Y-%m-%d') 

    There are only three parts to this script:

    1. First a variable is set that contains the camera snapshot location for yesterday's date (YEST). This variable contains the native folder structure the camera uses to save recordings/snapshots in that happened yesterday/last night. It's saved in /storage_location/[camera_serial_number]/(date_in_YEAR_MONTH_DAY_format).
    2. Then the script recursively moves through the subfolders of that location variable that was assigned in step one and begins renaming all .jpgs that it finds. They are renamed to the date/time they were created and also a random 9 digit number is added to the end of the file name to make sure we don't ever get duplicates. I have to do all this wizardry because the camera has a very convoluted saving/naming scheme when taking snapshots in its native format. It saves snapshots in a complicated folder hierarchy and then finally writes a snapshot name that is meaningless and could easily be duplicated with another .jpg snapshot in a different folder. During my testing, it did create duplicate names numerous times throughout all its subfolders so we must rename the .jpgs to prevent this from happening prior to copying the .jpgs to a different location in step 3.
    3. Finally, rsync is used to copy all the renamed .jpgs into a newly created folder (named /mnt/camsnaps/(yesterdays_date)) that is shared out via Samba so clients on the LAN can view it easily in File Explorer or whatever they want to.

    The one limitation of the script is that it works on the basis of "yesterday's date" when performing the renaming and copying. So if any snapshot happened after 12am, then that isn't yesterday. That is technically today. So even though that event happened last "sleep night", the script won't see it since that it didn't happen "yesterday". All this means is that you have to wait 24 hours for the script to on the next day. Its not a big deal and it would take a lot more coding logic to correct this behavior which I'm too lazy to learn how to do!

    Anyway, that is it. I have an additional crontab entry that prunes/deletes snapshots after 30 days have elapsed so the camera snapshot share and the Samba share doesn't fill up but this post is long enough as it is. If someone wants to see that command it I can post it. Hopefully this may help someone else with a similar problem.

    submitted by /u/Biggen1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment