• Breaking News

    Monday, May 4, 2020

    Home security: Burglar proof my window unit air conditioners

    Home security: Burglar proof my window unit air conditioners


    Burglar proof my window unit air conditioners

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:42 AM PDT

    What is the best/safest way to put my air conditioners in? Any tips would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/danielle1018
    [link] [comments]

    How to prevent burglars from cutting off the power supply/internet connection of your security cameras before entering?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:05 AM PDT

    Advice needed.

    Posted: 04 May 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I currently have a Reolink C1 Pro cam connected to my Synology Surveillance system.

    The synology program keeps reporting that the camera is disconnected. I was using wifi and changed it to a hardwired connection, but the issue persist.

    If I use the Reolink app in my phone and the browser, the camera seems to be working correctly.

    I did a ping test, with 100 pings and they never showed a dropped ping, but the response varied from 1 ms to as high as 26 ms.

    Should I just stop using the Sinology package and only use Reolink?

    If yes, how can i secure it?

    Or any other suggestions?

    Thanks!

    PS This is a small apt and right now is only one camera, but I have a second one (C1 Pro) that will be eventually deployed.

    submitted by /u/die-microcrap-die
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading ancient Vista system. What are my options?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    I currently have an old Vista 4142 with 3 key panels in my house. It is connected to about a half dozen powered smoke detectors along with several motion sensors and door sensors throughout the house. I do not have a subscription for the security system, and I'm still unsure if the device actually functions properly. I'm looking for a new system, as well as new fire protection sensors. I do not want or subscription service, as I'd prefer to have control over my own monitoring.
    Ideally I'd like to use the existing Vista panel enclosure and home wiring. Would be nice to just be able to replace various sensors throughout the house, along with a new modern board. Something that can communicate via home network would be great too, but not a requirement. I'm not exactly sure where to go from here, as most DIY security systems appear to have lots of wireless sensors with batteries. I'd like to use the existing powered wiring for new sensors if possible.

    My priorities:

    1. New updated fire protection sensors. (Old ones are gigantic, yellowing, and hideous)
    2. Utilize Motion/door sensor functionality for simple home security.
    3. Ability to monitor home security via home network (Wifi or Ethernet).

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/thekwijibo
    [link] [comments]

    What happened to the iSpy Android app?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    No longer on the play store, no mention of it on the web, it's like it never existed.

    WTH?

    submitted by /u/hibloodstevia
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with alarm equipment once canceling ADT pulse.

    Posted: 04 May 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    Homeless/vandal problem in condo parking lot

    Posted: 04 May 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    We own one of six units in a condo building in Seattle. We rent our unit out, so we don't live on-site. We are, however, the HOA, for all intents & purposes.

    The parking lot behind the building is covered but open, and backs on to an alleyway. It's not a great neighborhood and there is an increasing amount of vandalism, drug use and homeless camping going on in our parking lot. It's to the point where our security cameras have been repeatedly stolen (in spite of them being very high on a wall, and secured behind a cage), the back door is graffitied, there is garbage and needles in the parking lot daily, and three times this month someone has lit a bonfire in the parking lot.

    Not good.

    I'm looking for advice on discouraging these folks from hanging out there. The only things we can think of are lighting (it's well lit, but apparently that only helps people when shooting up), getting rid of bushes/hiding spots (which we did, but they bring cardboard boxes and make themselves little huts) and maybe strobe lights or other (but one of the residents has seizures, so no can do). Fencing/gating the parking lot isn't an option due to the shared space with another parking lot next door.

    Any other reasonable measures that can be taken? We're open to any thoughts other than "Let them be, they need somewhere to go". I sympathize and all (truly), and if they were just sleeping there this would be a different discussion. But it's straight up criminal vandalism and putting our tenant and others in the building at risk of the building catching fire.

    Apologies if this is the wrong sub. Please redirect if needed.

    Edit: There are condo units immediately above and next to the parking lot, so loud/music options are pretty much off the table. Otherwise we'd be playing Baby Shark 24/7.

    submitted by /u/PROXENIA
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Windows alternative to Blue Iris

    Posted: 03 May 2020 09:31 PM PDT

    Long story short, I custom build a dedicated Blue Iris machine, based on an i7-8700 and Windows 10 Pro. It's not working out as planned. I have been troubleshooting issues with the cameras for months, and I have tried everything under the sun at least once. I even paid Ken Pletzer (BI developer) to fix the issues, and he couldn't figure it out. And frankly, he was not pleasant to deal with in the least. To anyone planning to try to argue to the contrary about BI, I'm not beating a dead horse here; BI does not work for me and I'm moving on now.

    If I hadn't invested nearly $2,000 in this build already, I'd just go get another Dahua NVR and call it a day. I have one at my rental property, and it works absolutely flawlessly. It's been running nonstop for 3 years now, never skips a beat. And the configuration options are not nearly as "limited" as people like to claim. My NVR has all the features of BI and more, including: advanced motion detection, trip wire, heat sensing, facial recognition, license plate recognition and logging, alerts & notifications, Google drive and other cloud backup, plus a million other things. The problems with the Dahua NVRs is that they're not super user friendly and support is mostly nonexistent, and then there's the fact that it's Dahua so everything's getting leaked back to China. But honestly, if I cannot find a reasonable alternative to BI, I'll probably just get another Dahua NVR.

    So as for the alternatives, I've heard several names thrown around like Milestone, Zoneminder (linux only?), iSpy, DW Spectrum, etc. It seems there's sparse info on them though, considering my searches mostly only bring up pretty outdated posts about these VMS packages. If it's not information from say 2017 on, I say it's pretty useless (Moore's law).

    So i was hoping to get some suggestions on a VMS software meeting the following criteria.

    Minimum Required: - Continuous local storage recording - motion alerts (full motion detection configuration preferred) - h264 encoding/decoding (h265 preferred) - Support for Dahua & Hik cams (ideally, more manufactures) - ONVIF support - Easy to configure and easy to use (for a relative novice) - License no more than say a few hundred each year for 4 cams

    Pretty basic set of requirements, so hopefully this gives me options.

    My machine has the following specs: - i7-8700 w/QSV (in case any other VMS besides BI actually use QSV) - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz - 500gb Samsung evo SSD (OS) - 12TB WD Purple 7200rpm HDD (video storage) - machine has other driver to run Plex server - no dedicated graphics, but can obtain if needed

    Other surveillance components: - Dahua hdw5231rze starlight 2mp cams (2x) - Dahua hdw5831rze 8mp cams (2x) - Netgear gs108lp PoE switch

    submitted by /u/rfehr613
    [link] [comments]

    I need equipment advise

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit,

    Looking for an affordable security camera solution. I've tried buying a pinhole camera from Amazon but the app it came with had very bad motion detection.

    The requirements I have are:

    - good motion detection
    - wireless streaming to a Mac computer elsewhere in the house on which I can record the moving parts
    - should be able to film well through a peephole in a door
    - <€50 and ship to The Netherlands

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Glitterpony1999
    [link] [comments]

    Using Frontpoint but wanting to add cameras - should I stay with Frontpoint equipment?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    Using Frontpoint right now as our system and we have one of their doorbell cameras. I wanted to expand with 4-5 cameras around the house. Ideally all or a few would also have sensor lights as well. I'm not sure I trust the night vision of cameras out there - how is everyone's experience with that?

    submitted by /u/GreekFreaker
    [link] [comments]

    IP camera manual exposure settings

    Posted: 04 May 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    Hi

    When buying an IP camera, how do you tell if it supports manual exposure settings? A friend of mine has a Hikvision DS-2CD2155FWD-I and he can manually set the exposure, but the site doesn't seem to specify that ability: https://www.hikvision.com/es-la/Products/Network-Camera/EasyIP-3.0/5MP/DS-2CD2155FWD-I(S)) Do all IP cameras support manual settings?

    Any advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/andymcd_
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless camera for doors/deliveries?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    Hey,

    Background: I'm a disabled veteran, and I live with two other disabled people. As you may guess, we're getting more delivered right now than normal, as all of us have conditions with moderate-to-high comorbidity with what we all know is going on. As a result, I have the following problem:

    I live downstairs as I'm the most physically able, so I am the one to get the mail, bring in packages, and answer the door. I don't like talking with people, so the contactless delivery options have been great, since I don't really need to interact and I can tip before they even leave their location, which I prefer for a variety of reasons. But, our doorbell sucks, and when I'm on my computer, I don't always hear them knock.

    So I'd like to be able to set up a camera that lets me look out the front window next to the door, and access it from my computer. Unfortunately, I keep hearing really creepy stuff about doorbells with cameras and the like, with security flaws that can let people anywhere in the world just watch your life, so I'm hoping to find something relatively inexpensive, but also secure, or at least secure-able. If I could get a second one to watch out the back for when packages are delivered there, bonus points, but not strictly necessary. My original idea was to get a cheap android phone, turn off service to it, and just turn it into a wireless camera, but the wireless camera apps seem just as bad on security as Ring.

    I've browsed through here and saw Wyze mentioned a few times, and their cameras seem almost unbelievably affordable, but I don't know how secure they are. We do have a decent wifi network, but it's connected to the internet, and I'd rather not have to switch between wifi networks on my computer to use the cameras.

    Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/DraknusX
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment