• Breaking News

    Monday, September 14, 2020

    Home security: DIY Home Camera System

    Home security: DIY Home Camera System


    DIY Home Camera System

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    Hello all. I'm looking at setting up a home camera monitoring system, but have been struggling to figure out what the best products are for my needs. I'm young, tech savvy, and handy, so I'm confident I can work through the installation, set-up, and maintenance of such a system.

    My 1,600 square foot house is two stories tall, rests on a 4,700 square foot lot, and is framed in by neighbors on all three sides. My plan is to have a total of four cameras. One camera on each side of the back of the house, facing straight down each side yard towards the front of the house, and then one camera on each side of the front of the house covering the entire front of the lot and the street. I quickly drew this up to help visualize.

    I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible, but using the best quality components possible. So in other words, I would say my overall budget per camera is <$150. I want these cameras simply to monitor and record the outside of my home as a security precaution, but don't need any special features like motion detection. I want to record 24/7, and so I want IR on all the cameras, but have wondered about installing IR floodlights with each camera to increase recording quality. I figured that one of the front cameras would have a higher resolution to allow me to clearly study any details, such as a clearer image of somebody's face, or a passing license plate. For the other three cameras, I was thinking they could have a lower resolution as they're just to cover the rest of the house, and all the details I need would have already been picked up by the better camera at the front.

    My plan is to run ethernet to all the cameras from an unmanaged PoE switch, but if I end up installing IR flood lights with them then each camera could be run off external 120v power as I'd have to run it there anyways. I will manage and save the streams on a dedicated spare desktop computer using Blue Iris or whatever software I decide on. I would also like to setup the computer and software to allow remote access, but don't need to if it would be too difficult or costly.

    I don't care about backdoors on the cameras; foreign governments are free to spy on my front yard and side yards all they'd like. Because I can't just drop a ton of cash on this all at once, I plan to buy and install one camera at a time to spread out the cost. Because this is just for a home, perfect up-time isn't absolutely crucial, which is why I'm fine just modifying a crappy PC to handle the cameras.

    I'm looking for overall advice, critiques, product suggestions, or pretty much anything you can give. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/blakerich
    [link] [comments]

    need advice

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    hello! just here to seek advice from experts of guns and self defense. my home has been broken into recently while i was away on a cruise, my safe with 10k cash and fiancées jewelry was stolen. i'd like to purchase a firearm that has ideal accuracy and reliability. my budget is around 250$-350$ and im looking for a pistol, preferably 9mm or .45 ACP. does anyone know of a company that sells cheap, accurate and reliable handguns and is readily available in most gun stores? thanks!

    submitted by /u/ChokeMe12
    [link] [comments]

    Homemade pepper balls for paintball gun?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    Does anyone know how to make homemade pepper balls for a paintball gun?

    submitted by /u/MomIsGreat3
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a decent fire rated filing cabinet. Any suggestions?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    Reviews seem hit or miss on all of them. Any real world experience?

    Would be great to be water resistant too

    submitted by /u/VviFMCgY
    [link] [comments]

    Budget Setup: Analog vs IP Camera? HiLook by Hikvision

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    So my requirements are as follows:

    • I need a four camera setup at my property: 1 outdoor, 3 indoors.
    • I might add 1-2 more cameras in the future at that property, but very unlikely
    • I also will need another 2 camera setup on my other property (30km away).
    • I don't live at the premise, so I absolutely need remote access to the feed
    • Sound recording is a big plus (and it's legal where I live)
    • Cable length from cameras to DVR/NVR/POE Switch is around 20 meters each.
    • I have unlimited 150mbps internet connection at my house and 50mbps on each of the properties
    • Nobody will be monitoring the live feed. We mainly need the recordings.
    • I want the recording to NOT be a slide-show (like 10fps) at least 720p and should be smooth enough to watch (I guess 25fps would be the absolute minimum)
    • I tend to trust Hikvision for their durability and quality, but I'm open to other established brands as long as it's not more expensive.

    I've been looking at HiLook, a new budget brand from Hikvision. The problem is, HiLook only have mics on their analog cameras (at least in my country).

    These are the devices I'm looking at:

    Analog:

    • HiLook DVR-204Q-K1 4-channel 1080p $45
    • HiLook DVR-208Q-K1 8-channel 1080p $78
    • HiLook THC-B120-PS (2MP Bullet/Outdoor Camera with Mic) $17
    • HiLook THC-T120-PS (2MP Turret/Indoor Camera with Mic) $16

    IP camera:

    • HiLook NVR-108MH-D 8-channel $43
    • Hikvision NVR DS-7108NI-Q1/M 8-channel $48
    • HiLook IPC-B120 (2MP 1080P Bullet/Outdoor Camera) $29
    • HiLook IPC-T220 (2MP 1080P Turret/Indoor Camera) $28
    • Hikvision DS-3E0105P-E/M(B) 4-Ports PoE Switch $22

    Now, my questions are more on the expandability, ease of use, uptime, durability of analog & IP setup (cable problems, etc):

    1. I gain audio support if I go with analog. But what would I lose by choosing analog over IP?
    2. How difficult is the maintenance of a 10A power supply in an analog setup? Budget DVRs don't have PoC.
    3. How susceptible is a 10A power supply to damage due to power outages? It tends to happen several times a year.
    4. How susceptible is a BNC+Power cable to damage compared to Ethernet that results in a distorted video quality?
    5. If I go IP, could I have the NVR in my house instead on the premise?
    6. What are the advantages/disadvantages of having NVR not on premise?
    7. If I decide to add cameras in my other property, could I use the same NVR located at my house? Or do I need another NVR?
    8. How reliable is off-premise (over the internet) NVR recording?
    9. Do I have to use Cat6 cables or Cat5e is enough for IP camera?
    10. Would an APC Back-UPS RS 650VA 230V (BX650LI-MS) be able to keep 4 analog cameras+DVR+router+modem or 4 IP cameras+POE switch+NVR+router+modem active for at least 6 hours in case of a power outage?
    11. Is there ANY way to add sound recording to an IP camera that don't have integrated mic?
    12. Anything else I should know or consider before deciding between analog vs IP?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/elzafir
    [link] [comments]

    60 yr old mom wants to buy a 20g shotgun for basic home defense, I suggest 12g but others disagree

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    Like the title says. My mom wants to purchase an easy home defense weapon. The gun store owner she spoke with told her (as most do) to get a shotgun for a first home gun. He recommended a 20 gauge, which kind of surprised me. My impression was that a 12 was the way to go. As far as the gun goes, we'd find her something manageable and easy to wield. But does the difference of gauge in buckshot really matter in a close range situation? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ca_jcraw
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment