• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 14, 2020

    Home Improvement: Home Depot vs Lowes: Anyone have a preference?

    Home Improvement: Home Depot vs Lowes: Anyone have a preference?


    Home Depot vs Lowes: Anyone have a preference?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    Must haves for first home!?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    I am buying my first house this month! What are some must have items you recommend for a new home!?

    submitted by /u/krllll4
    [link] [comments]

    Child proofing bifold doors that actually works

    Posted: 14 May 2020 06:19 AM PDT

    About a year ago when we moved in my wife came up with this idea to lock the bifold closet doors in our kid's rooms and bathroom, and the pantry. After a year, I can confidently say it is the most effective child lock I have used and it doesn't look bad either. The latches are available at most hardware stores. Install took about a minute per door with a drill and a screwdriver. I don't have any before pictures, but I don't really feel they are needed in this case.

    Effectively childproofing bifold doors https://imgur.com/gallery/0D1t0B8

    submitted by /u/Jonesmp
    [link] [comments]

    Would anyone like a fairly comprehensive paint review?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    We are doing a large painting project of our house in August, and I've been scouring local marketplace posts and restores for paint! So we basically ended up with a million varieties for a fraction of the price.

    I was wondering if anyone would want a full review on all the different types of paint we are going to use. We have:

    • Dulux lifemaster and diamond
    • Sico evolution
    • Sico ceiling paint
    • Benjamin Moore ben Line
    • Benjamin Moore régal
    • Benjamin Moore aura
    • PPG manor hall
    • PPG primer
    • RONA eco paint
    • Bullseye 1 2 3 primer
    • C2 (cabinet specifically)

    We also did a fair number of wood projects lately and have used -minwax stains - varathane finishes - varathane stains Some other kinds of finishes we used (Finishes were both spray and paint on varieties)

    Last we are going to try the Rustoleum tile de-glazing kit.

    If anyone wants reviews on this I'll happily post them when we complete our project! We will be rolling and spraying different areas so should have some good thoughts.

    submitted by /u/Skinandstuff
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors removed privacy trees behind my backyard

    Posted: 14 May 2020 07:25 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    So my wife and I recently bought our first home and one of the features we liked about it was a large private backyard. Our lot backs up to a gated townhouse community and behind our fence has been a tall "grove" of bamboo stalks that essentially block the houses behind us from view.

    Apparently today the townhouse community hired people to cut down all the bamboo which has now given full visibility into our yard from many of their townhomes (the townhouses are at a slightly higher elevation than our house so they can clearly see over our fence).

    While I understand there isn't anything I can do about this since the bamboo wasn't on our property, is there anything I can do to get back that sense of privacy in our yard? We enjoy spending time on our small patio but I have a hard time envisioning us being able to do that now with no privacy when we are out there.

    Any ideas on how to get a more secluded feel without having to spend 1000s of $ to do it?

    Picture for reference: https://imgur.com/gallery/G0tWyIL

    *pls excuse the lawn disaster in progress, any tips on how to clean up the yard will be appreciated as well!

    Update

    Pic with all cut down now, with some debris yet to be cleared:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/devCcmU

    submitted by /u/st10is121090
    [link] [comments]

    I made cedar shutters and installed them earlier this week. My neighbor thinks they need to be sealed. With marine varnish.

    Posted: 14 May 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    Now he's gotten me worrying. I'm under the impression that cedar shutters didn't need to be finished or sealed. And surely not with marine varnish?

    submitted by /u/soapdonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice on how to attach 4x4 deck posts to these footings?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    Tv antenna removal

    Posted: 14 May 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    Should I be worried about cutting any wires when removing this monstrosity from my chimney. It looks about a million years old and was obviously a fixture way before we bought this home. Any help from those more experienced than me is welcome!

    antenna

    submitted by /u/mandjets
    [link] [comments]

    Can I ask for help?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    My wife and I bought our home in August. It had large trees in front and we had them all ripped out. I wasn't a fan of palm trees. We have been tossing around ideas of what to do with the front of the house ever since. Our house is shaped rather odd which makes it hard to find ideas online. We put in some roses and boxwoods on the driveway side, but can't figure out if we continue it around or start over.

    We also thought about siding and stacked stone, but not sure if we wrap it all the way around to the front door.

    We are located in southern California for what it's worth.

    Any ideas for our funky house are appreciated.

    Photos

    If this isn't the right place, please let me know.

    Edit: fixed link

    submitted by /u/ChocoPeant
    [link] [comments]

    Building a house in Texas on a huge budget.

    Posted: 14 May 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    So im a plumber and I intend to build my first house from the ground up all by hand. I have it all figured out minus one detail... The foundation. I found a free-float peir and beam design online and it looks perfect! My only concern is if that type of foundation works in Texas? Or does our ground shift to much?

    If this is the wrong sub then I apologize. I couodnt find any other subs to ask the question in.

    Edit: North Texas by Dallas. Its pretty much all red and brown clay. Sorry! Meant to add that detail on the original draft.

    submitted by /u/deadlyturtle22
    [link] [comments]

    Beautiful hardwood floors are warped from water damage. How to go about fixing it?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    My brother has caused extensive water damage over and over to the hardwood floors in our home. It's beautiful wood and it's warped and risen off of the floor. Not sure if it is solid planks or if it is like a wood composite or something. Regardless, it's a really sad sight to see. I don't think I have the ability or expertise to fix this myself. Does anyone here have any experience with flooring contractors? How can I find a good one and what are some red flags to look out for? And how can I make sure I get a fair price?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/frontrangefart
    [link] [comments]

    Help with ceiling fan...?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    When we moved in, my daughter's room had a ceiling fan with a remote control. Well it turns out the light ONLY works with the remote. The pull string won't work, the switch doesn't work.

    So as life goes, my 2 year old reached up high enough to grab the remote. It hasn't been seen since. We have torn the house apart. So basically her once functional room is now useless until daytime. I looked into universal remotes but I'm not really sure how any of this works. I'm not handy at all. Any help?

    submitted by /u/Momcantsleepthesaga
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone used wholesalecabinets.us ?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    I'm always a skeptic for buying things off the internet and my husband found this website that seems super cheap. Please share your experiences so we don't make a poor decision! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/atalanta4
    [link] [comments]

    My deck which is 20+ years old has two posts sitting on concrete but at ground level. Can I slip a post bases under them? Any suggestions/ideas welcome!

    Posted: 14 May 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    Wood swing sets are sold out everywhere. Anyone have good DIY plans you’d care to share?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    Toilet Gurgling how critical of an issue is this

    Posted: 14 May 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    I've read a few google articles about what causes this and how to fix it. However, I do not currently have duct tape at home to cover my other drains while I plunge so is there another method I can use to achieve this and secondly if we continue to use our plumbing before this issue is resolved are we going to come to find out that sewage has backed up into our tubs?

    submitted by /u/SpawnofSilverhill
    [link] [comments]

    New AC Unit

    Posted: 14 May 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    I have the original unit from when the home was built in 2004. My upstairs never gets cool during the summer. I change the air direction in the ducts based on the season to force air. I'm assuming a newer bigger unit would save electricity during the summer, save on heating in the winter (have propane heating home now) and cool home better???

    submitted by /u/Rasher319
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for affordable bedroom doors with good sound isolation

    Posted: 14 May 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    I'm looking for interior doors with good sound isolation, preferably from a big-box hardware store. Ideally nothing more than $175 for a 30". Our main goal is to block sound. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/akromyk
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a specific name for the trim that goes around the glass windows on say an exterior door?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    The trim on our front door's window is looking pretty shoddy these days and I figured it could be a quick simple improvement, but not really sure what to search for.

    What we have is a preformed arch inside a rectangle around 1 foot tall and 2 feet wide.

    http://imgur.com/a/Ki9fTrB

    Edit: added photo

    Additional edit: identical piece on the outside as well, appears they screw together.

    submitted by /u/HawkeyeFLA
    [link] [comments]

    Fastest way to stain/poly wood floors?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    We're attempting to "restore" our wood flooring which has been underneath carpet for years and then under laminate for a while. We've been doing some sanding and cleaning up of the wood (whoever painted in here knew they were adding carpet and just let paint go all over the place). Anyway, we're about ready to get to staining and finishing, but a lot of what I've found requires days to dry/set and we simply don't have that kind of time. We're going to have to take furniture out to the front yard when we do this and we can't just leave it out there.

    I know there are stain-and-poly-in-one solutions that dry quickly but then I read horror stories in the bad reviews (even if there are a small percentage of them) and they make me nervous.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/vertigoelectric
    [link] [comments]

    Preference on ground cover for backyard fire pit?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 09:33 PM PDT

    Pea gravel, river rock, sand, pavers, etc??? I'd love to hear from someone who regularly uses one and why you chose what you chose and if you're happy long term.

    submitted by /u/TheBigPhilbowski
    [link] [comments]

    Deck Gable Roof Connection to House Question

    Posted: 14 May 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    I have a two story home. I'm building a wood deck on the back of the house with a 14x12 portion of the deck a covered/screened area. I am building a gable roof over this area and am confused on how to attach it to the house. The deck is attached via ledger board. The house has vinyl siding and I am in the northeast (heavy snow). The roof will be a 3/12 gable roof. I will have 4x4 posts on the deck to support the roof in 7 places (corners and midpoints), so it should be fully supported via these 4x4 posts with doubled up 2x8 beams on top. So my questions are...

    1. How should I connect the gable roof to the house?
    2. Should the 4x4s adjacent to the house be attached to the house or not?

    Picture below shows the plan... green is the covered/screened area and the red represents the 4x4 posts.

    https://imgur.com/IDJ8wbi

    submitted by /u/takemyderivative
    [link] [comments]

    Small leak on a skylight, who do I call to fix it?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    I've got a skylight/window in one of our bedrooms that drips during a heavy/windy rain. It seems to be coming from the top of the window where it meets the frame. I'm thinking some silicone would fix it, but it's high up on a very slanted roof. The roof has been replaced in the past 5 years (before we bought it and have no contact for the company who replaced it).

    Would I call a window company, a roofer, a handyman?

    submitted by /u/mldkfa
    [link] [comments]

    Pergo Laminate Hardwood Floors - Joint Issue

    Posted: 14 May 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    I have a couple of places that I may have been a bit heavy with the hammer as I was joining them together or they pushed against each other while other furniture was moved around on it. How do I go about fixing? I have some modeling clay with different colors to fix the hardwood floor that I bought. Do I sand ahead of time? Any advice is awesome!

    submitted by /u/DJ1962
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment