• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 31, 2020

    Home Improvement: HD now has... Clickable tile? LVT? What...

    Home Improvement: HD now has... Clickable tile? LVT? What...


    HD now has... Clickable tile? LVT? What...

    Posted: 31 May 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    This is... Cool? Anyone try it yet?

    https://imgur.com/bBG7YIN

    Fwiw... It felt like regular tile. Super solid and seemed to be made of the same stuff.

    Apparently you put the underlayment down, click the tiles together, and then grout.

    No spacers or anything needed.

    submitted by /u/NHarvey3DK
    [link] [comments]

    Water line routed straight in to the drain, why?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 06:54 PM PDT

    Picture of problem

    So our water bill in a new home has been higher than expected. Upon investigation I found that there is a T on the water heater cold in line. The small line runs own and drains in to the floor drain. I confirmed it runs about as much as a half open faucet continually. I've never encountered something like this, and I'd like to cap it off so I'm not just dumping water straight down the drain(bottom left in image). However, I'm nervous, because this looks very intentional and I'm worried it's solving some problem I'm not aware of. Does anyone know why this setup is the way it is? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Nevesola
    [link] [comments]

    Can I touch up a ceiling with white paint or will I need to paint the entire ceiling?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    Forgive my ignorance, first time homeowner here.

    Whoever painted the walls in the house I just bought did not use tape in the creases between the wall and ceiling so it's a disaster. Can I touch up the ceiling in the creases with white paint or will it clash and I have to paint the entire ceiling? I was looking at paint swatches today and there's a million shades of white. WHY IS THERE SO MANY SHADES OF WHITE?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/letsgotoloon
    [link] [comments]

    Popcorn ceiling

    Posted: 31 May 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    Where can I send a sample to and get my popcorn ceiling tested for asbestos? I'm in CA and my home was built in 1982. When I moved in the kitchen and bathroom was finished with orange peel texture, but I'm not sure if I should take a risk and knockdown the popcorn texture without testing. I've tried looking for local labs and can't seem to find any. Is there any popular ones anyone has used?

    submitted by /u/lawncarenut_
    [link] [comments]

    Whole house water filter replacement, what did I do wrong?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    I replaced the whole house water filter today. We just purchased the house and it looked like the old filter hadn't been replaced in a while (tag on the filter said replace by Dec 2018). I turned the power off to the well, drained the pressure tank, pulled the old filter out, swapped in a new one, cleaned the filter housing, replaced and greased the O-Ring, turned the well back on, pressurized the tank, and flushed the cold water supply. I flushed, and flushed, and flushed. I ran the water for about 45 minutes and it is still brown and spitting out sediment. Any idea where I could have screwed up such an easy filter replacement?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gosabres
    [link] [comments]

    Ice maker makes these lame ice cubes, what's wrong?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 04:48 PM PDT

    The half moon ice cubes are lame enough but for some reason they come out in a mess like this from our maker https://i.ibb.co/7J7CxBJ/MVIMG-20200531-192739.jpg

    Any idea what's going on?

    submitted by /u/noogarock
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice. Tore down two decorative wooden railings that separated our living room and dining room and it left a gap.

    Posted: 31 May 2020 03:57 PM PDT

    • The gap is roughly 4 inches wide and 11'3" long (most of the width of the room). -Floors are laminate and linoleum.
    • The original gap had a transition piece but it was only 2" wide (easier to see in the photo)

    click here for photos

    Looking for a way to bridge the gap without having to redo a whole room worth of flooring. We looked for a 5' transition piece today and couldn't find one at Lowe's. Don't know if they exist or maybe they need to be custom ordered?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Blue-Greenit
    [link] [comments]

    Cast iron closet bend help

    Posted: 31 May 2020 05:35 PM PDT

    So I redid the floor in my bathroom and had to remove 3 layers of old flooring and in the process the key way for the closet bolts on the cast iron tolite flange broke so I need to replace it but the lead and oakum joint that connects the closet bend to the stack is also leaking so I was thinking that I would be better off drilling out the lead and remove the bend and replacing from there to the tolite with schedule 40 pvc and useing a fernco coupler to conect to the cast iron hub on the stack to pvc I have the joint circled in the pictures also I was wondering if I as a homeowner can do this job without a license. Thanks in advance

    picture of bend, and coupler I want to use

    submitted by /u/JTech625
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommendations for "landlord paint" for interior walls?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 07:46 PM PDT

    First time future landlord here. I've got these drywalls (not in best conditions with lots of unevenness from patch-ups) and they got a oil-based semi gloss light pink paint all over.

    Needless to say, that sheen has got to go. I'm aiming for a flat light gray to modernize it. What is your go-to paint and go-to prep work to repaint walls?

    submitted by /u/catsuramen
    [link] [comments]

    Washing machine water smells like rotten eggs when it drains - *not sewer gas*

    Posted: 31 May 2020 06:59 AM PDT

    Hi there. I'm hoping you all can help me figure this out. I have a top load washer that drains from a hose into a utility sink. When it drains, it smells like rotten eggs. The hose connects from the drain output at the bottom of the machine and hangs over the edge of the sink, which is about 3-4 feet above where the hose connects to the machine.

    All of the water in the drum drains, but there is usually water left somewhere in the hose/machine. I've brought the hose down to ground level and drained excess water into a bowl - I can usually drain quite a bit of water this way and it smells terrible. Usually this will help solve the odor issue for 1-2 loads but it always returns.

    Could the pump need to be replaced so that it's able to clear all the water in the hose? The manual says that the hose can't be more than 8 feet above the machine, but that's not the case here so I'm thinking something must be wrong.

    I've already tried cleaning the hose.

    Any thoughts would be welcome - we are on the verge of buying a new machine altogether!

    submitted by /u/evandmx
    [link] [comments]

    Found this rod while digging on the side of my house. What is it, and is it broken?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    Here is a picture of the area: https://imgur.com/aqHSDRF

    I was digging along the side of my house, and while digging I found this rod. I may have been careless and broken it, but I am not sure if it was connected to start. What is this rod, and does it need repairing? If it needs fixing, what is the fix or what kind of person could do it?

    It seems to go out into the yard, and is by the gas meter. I live in Minnesota. Not sure what other information may be pertinent. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/densegoo
    [link] [comments]

    How to patch broken spot on concrete garage floor?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    I'm a novice when it comes to anything concrete. What's the best way to patch these two spots on our garage floor?

    floor

    submitted by /u/Jharv62301
    [link] [comments]

    Stucco separating from studs and bottom plate

    Posted: 31 May 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqcOZRHnBaBp5QoCdRJA4Mp5S85e The two pics are at the garage columns. It looks like someone bumped them previously and now the nails have been torn from the stucco mesh and broken through the sheetrock backing. Best solution I've found is to drill through the stucco, countersink with a forstner bit, use a fender washer, and then screw into a stud. Once done patch the hole.

    Does anyone have a better solution?

    Anyway to make the patch not look like a patch? Circles are hard to hide.

    submitted by /u/burrdedurr
    [link] [comments]

    Are wall anchors stuck in place once they are inserted into the wall and screws are placed?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    Trying to hang curtains and may have hung them too high, am I going to need a whole new set of anchors just to reposition the supports?

    submitted by /u/an0therFate
    [link] [comments]

    Best noise insulating material in your opinion?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    So I have a punching bag in my upstairs room and I want to use it but don't want to make so much noise I anger the neighbors in the apartment under mine. It's pretty loud to hit and I was wondering what you all thought the best material would be to absorb that kind of noise. It would also have to be something that can be put on a wall and not between walls like insulation.

    submitted by /u/captainjackass28
    [link] [comments]

    how do you fix unlevel walkway stones?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    here's a photo: https://i.imgur.com/Tl06XUH.jpg

    do you just pack in some sand under the low side? or use something else?

    edit: i'll just add that this is like 20 years old. It's not a new, so it's just sagged an inch over that 20 years.

    submitted by /u/Professor-Trash
    [link] [comments]

    I put seed down 3 weeks ago, what nect?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    I put seed down and i see small grass in certain areas. I've watered twice a day and nothing else.

    Tru green is supposed to come and do service in 2 weeks.

    Should I put anything down while I wait? Like a lawn food or something?

    submitted by /u/Difficult_Rough
    [link] [comments]

    Peered into my drywall with a camera.. what am I seeing?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 05:19 PM PDT

    Hello again, some of you might remember my recent troubles with screwing lag bolts into a drywall stud... or at least I thought it was a stud. Since I couldn't figure out what was going on, I bought a cheapo borescope from Amazon, and took a look inside (the head of the camera fit through the hole I drilled). So, here are the pics:
    * looking straight ahead
    * up (note the other bolt a few inches above this one)
    * down (looks like some cable box down below)
    * right (no idea...)
    So what am I looking at?? Is this the inside of a metal stud, or some kind of a brace? Sorry for the crappy pictures, the little LED lights don't cut through the gloom too well. Hopefully someone can tell me what it is I'm seeing... thanks.

    submitted by /u/spam-musubi
    [link] [comments]

    Exterior Wall Insulation and Soundproofing - Recommendations?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 06:50 PM PDT

    I have a separate garage that has bare wood studs at the moment. I'd like to insulate and soundproof it in order to use it as a studio space for my band, as well as to use it as a heated indoor parking spot in the winter (I live in Canada).

    I've looked at different materials: Rockwool, foam, fiberglass, cellulose... what are the benefits and drawbacks of each, and how do they compare in terms of insulation and in terms of soundproofing?

    Much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Alfie_Dee
    [link] [comments]

    Got mortar/grout in my shower drain after redoing shower tile. Now it won’t drain.

    Posted: 31 May 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    I re did my shower but I didn't protect the shower drain. Now when I put my finger it feels like bunch of dirt and there's a bigger clump clogging it up. I'm 20 and I live on my own and no one can help me so...any reddit dads out there tryna give me advice?

    submitted by /u/donutfordays
    [link] [comments]

    Installing new fence: Question about fence post

    Posted: 31 May 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    In the next month or so we'll be installing 4-500' of fence. The plan is a 3 board fence with a welded 2"x4" wire fencing to keep dogs, chickens, teenagers, ducks, and what else my wife comes across from running a muck out in the country.

    I know they don't make treated 4"x4"s like they used to and I do want a fence that will last. We do not plan on moving again. So do I go with metal? I kind of like the Master Halco posts, just can't find them as I'm not an "installer."

    This is down in Louisiana so no frost line. It is however a heavy clay soil. Planning on making the fence 4' tall with two big gates and make one or two more small walk through gates.

    So what are y'alls thoughts on how to do this right?

    submitted by /u/chucky5150
    [link] [comments]

    Finally finished my center divider project!

    Posted: 31 May 2020 09:38 PM PDT

    Before & After Picture

    Our center divider was not standing up to all the cups/animals/spills and I finally came up with an idea with the help of my wife and finished it today. $60 with the purchase of some discounted laminate flooring at Lowe's and painted corner wall panel molding.

    submitted by /u/Solarbayness
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally used nonpaintable caulk instead of paintable. How do I fix this so I can actually paint my trim?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 07:15 PM PDT

    Help please... thank you!

    submitted by /u/Papprica
    [link] [comments]

    Nebia shower improvement review

    Posted: 31 May 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    HI all,

    Back in February we ordered a new shower from Nebia. This new version of the Nebia is also backed by Moen. If you aren't familiar with Nebia it is a new type of shower head that atomizes water. The designers got their inspiration from agricultural irrigation misters. Low flow heads aren;'t new and neither are atomizers. However this should reduce water usage by 30%.

    So we signed up for the Kickstarter and the order was fulfilled in May.

    Installation was simple. Pop off the old head, add Nebia's latching connector to the old tube in the wall and stick the handheld unit on the wall. WE also ordered Moen's matching handle to go with it.

    In all the Kickstarter was ~$200 for the Nebia and ~$200 for the handle.

    Fair warning: I read the reviews of Nebia 1 online and knew the potential for a freezing shower.

    Day 1: Horrible. Freezing shower confirmed. Even with the head lowered within millimeters of my head and the hand spray at full blast, the water particles lose so much thermal energy by the time they hit your skin it's useless. My wife has long hair and it literally took 4x longer to rinse it out even with the hand sprayer.

    Also on day 1 I learned a VERY import thing about plumbing. Moen handles don't interfere to Kohler valves. Maybe this is obvious to handy DIYers, plumbers, and those in the industry. I have a PhD in EE so I don't think I'm that technically lame, but it was a revelation that the simple connecter is round on Moen and square on Kohler. Non-standard. The only reason for this is to drive a monopoly. My bad, my dumb. but wow. Nebia's site didn't make mention of this.

    Day 2: Increased water tank temp by 4 or 5 notches. Ordinary faucet was too hot to touch when hot was turned on full blast. At least the shower would be warmer, right?

    NO. Shower was marginally hotter, but not hot enough.

    This would make a great mister shower if I lived in the Caribbean or the tropics. I can see that. It makes a bad shower when we keep the indoor temperature at 63 degree and live north of the 45th parallel.

    Showers are taking longer - thus not saving any water

    Hot water tank is using more energy.

    I also learned that a Kickstarter is considered a donation. I never used Kickstarter before, so that means no refunds.

    I really don't recommend this improvement.

    submitted by /u/boottrax
    [link] [comments]

    How do I figure out voltage of a wall heater?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    I want to replace a 1960's wall heater and I can't tell from the labeling on the electrical panel or the unit whether it's 120 volt or 240. How do I figure this out?

    submitted by /u/martalice
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment