• Breaking News

    Monday, June 1, 2020

    Home security: is there a FAQ or list of suggested equipment?

    Home security: is there a FAQ or list of suggested equipment?


    is there a FAQ or list of suggested equipment?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    I have an 8 camera system I am quite unhappy with a (funlux 264) I bought off Amazon.

    Problem is , the cameras are wired and I had to torture to get the wires installed without damaging them (very fragile)

    Operation of the recorder? slow and tiresome. Trying to scan for action captured, yes you can go 8x, gut finding anything is tough.

    the nightvision on the cameras leaves much to be desired. My neighbor was robbed at 5 AM, back in 2017 and the video I got was worthless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir5GPaan1GY

    today I saw a solar-powered WiFi camera which also has 2way voice. The owner showed me that it works with his phone. What I am wondering is if I can build some kind of setup with wireless and WiFi. and reasonable night vision I have not done any research yet. I am now going to read through /r/HomeSecurity and see what wisdom I can glean

    submitted by /u/944tim
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Home Security LPR

    Posted: 31 May 2020 07:36 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I'm looking for any advice or if you can point me to some bloggers that I should read that would be great as well.

    I'm looking to setup 4 outdoor cameras for my 2500 square foot 2 story house. Unfortunately, I got out of an abusive relationship and I worry that he's doing drive bys or he may have friends checking up on me. I'd like to have two IP cameras setup in the front of the house pointed to the road that read and alert me to certain license plates and make model of car (bonus) if certain cars drive/stop by my house. I'd like a camera on the side and back of the house for typical motion detection. AI facial recognition would be really cool, but I'm not sure if that is reasonable cost wise.

    What kind of setup would you recommend? I've read all over the place and have found Rekor for ANLPR but ideally I would like to have a local setup that I can access via a mobile app but isn't stored or where I have to pay for cloud access.

    Does this exist? I'm decently handy...can I set this up?

    submitted by /u/baby_penis_
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations to Get Started

    Posted: 31 May 2020 03:50 PM PDT

    I am beginning to look into a few cameras for outside of my home as there have been more and more break-ins in the neighbourhood.

    I was originally looking at an Arlo system and then discovered Eufy, which appealed to me because it was wireless and I could store everything locally. However I've been reading more and more and it seems like these systems may be subpar when it comes to quality for things like identifying someone. Perhaps I'm wrong there.

    I started looking into alternatives and I really have no idea where to start with all of this. I want a couple of cameras and local storage. The simpler the installation the better.

    Any help pointing me in the right direction to get going would be great. Even some resources to start learning about all of this would be perfect.

    submitted by /u/twistymcgee
    [link] [comments]

    New house has cameras, but how do I use them?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 03:49 PM PDT

    Wife and I just bought a house, and the previous owners had ADT. Full setup with cameras on front and back porches. We don't plan on buying their service, but I'd like to use the cameras. Is there a way?

    submitted by /u/SigmaQuotient
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a security camera

    Posted: 31 May 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    My dad recently had some car damage done by random people probably construction. But since we dont know who or how it happened were on our own. Now my dad asked me to find a security camera tk prevent further incidents like these. He was looking for a camera under 150 bucks. We had found the google nest cam which wouldve been great since it records 24/7 but its almost 200 bucks here. We also found the ring stick up cam but were unsure on thay since it only records 60 second clips if theres movement. And were not sure if the movement detection is that stricht that it will even detect small projectiles like rocks falling. Would anyone have any suggestions on what to get. Btw cloud storage subscription is probably better since we dont have a server with 100 tb servers like linus tech drops :(

    submitted by /u/SirFrodoSwaggz
    [link] [comments]

    Change motion sensor to be included in arm stay?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    Hi guys

    On a DSC system with a seperate garage that is also connected to the system. Usually the alarm is set to arm stay because of animals, but unfortunately this also disables the motion sensor in the garage.

    What I would like is to be able to use arm stay, but keep the motion sensor in the garage working. Is this as simple as just setting that sensor as a window sensor, glass break, etc sensor instead?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/sugarkryptonite
    [link] [comments]

    Help with updating old DSC1616

    Posted: 31 May 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    I recently purchased a house with an existing alarm that the owners did not use. It is a DSC1616 with a Altronix RBSNTTL relay module. It have 2 control panels. How do I determine how many zones I have as there is alot of wire in the box and seems to be a hot mess. Just trying to figure out the best course of action to use the existing hardwired sensors/motion detectors.

    edit: added imgur links in comments

    submitted by /u/working_alarms
    [link] [comments]

    How to wire a security camera through my garage, to for the camera on the overhang of my house?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I just wanted some advice before I started cutting / drilling etc.

    I'm trying to fit my first outdoor security camera from the over hang of my garage.

    Above my garage door is a slight canopy that over hangs - I think it's called an eave.

    Looks like this:

    Eave https://imgur.com/a/RMRafLW

    My question is how would I route a cable through my garage to mount the camera hanging from this canopy?

    I'm thinking of cutting a small square I can fit my hand through, assuming I have access to the interior of the canopy from the garage? I'm not 100% sure though.

    Or would I have to go through the ceiling of the garage rather than the wall?

    I could always just mount it through the wall but I feel like hanging from the overhang will provide a better angle and look more professional.

    Any advice would be awesome thank you

    submitted by /u/Hodella99
    [link] [comments]

    Any suggestions for an easy/cheap way to stream video for a studio? Trying to reduce waiting room size to support social distancing as we re-open.

    Posted: 31 May 2020 05:17 AM PDT

    I'm helping a friend re-open a dance and gymnastics studio, now that social distancing rules are relaxing. Most parents are used to congregating in the "peanut gallery" to watch the classes their kids are in, but she'd like to offer a streaming option. This would allow parents to watch the class from their phones (or whatever) out in the parking lot, from home, etc... thereby greatly reducing the crowd size in the lobby.

    The plan is we'd start with only one of the studios and see how things go from there. We'd like this to be as user and operator friendly as possible... hopefully having operation be hands-off for her and her staff (they have enough on their plates right now, and they're not overly technical). Viewing shouldn't be restricted to just her wifi range, and we'd need to support a dozen or so concurrent viewers.

    And, to further complicate matters, money is really tight because of the past couple of months of being shut down. We can invest some time in this solution, but there are a hundred other issues we're trying to manage at the same time. The more turnkey/off-the-shelf, the better.

    What can you do for us, Reddit? Any suggestions? I know we're asking for a lot here.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/in_vino_veritas_69
    [link] [comments]

    Lynx Honeywell System - Sensors Not Detecting After Removing Cover

    Posted: 31 May 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    So my sensor fell off so I tried to put it back on the window, but it still said fault so I thought it was the battery I took the cover off the other sensor and now they both say fault. I know I tripped the tamper alarm but I just pressed a random button and it stopped. So how come both sensors are not working now do I have to resync it or something?

    submitted by /u/DrixlRey
    [link] [comments]

    Help understanding a system (house purchase)

    Posted: 31 May 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    My mother-in-law just bought a home that has two cameras on the outside and a security system inside. I cannot tell if they are connected to one another or not -- and am hoping this community can help me know what to look for!

    The two cameras are identical; I didn't have a ladder to get up and check the brand: https://i.imgur.com/jtGDAMo.jpg

    There's an old NAPCO panel inside: https://i.imgur.com/JPyUzQT.jpg

    And one of the closets has this box setup: https://i.imgur.com/CTpiEtF.jpg

    I've looked and haven't seen any kind of DVR, cabling, or other electronic device that looks like it's camera output. Would love any kind of direction on where to go next. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Burbada
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment