• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 30, 2020

    Home Improvement: Contractor removed a load bearing wall

    Home Improvement: Contractor removed a load bearing wall


    Contractor removed a load bearing wall

    Posted: 30 May 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    Hired a contractor, and they removed 2 walls. After learning that they neglected to get any permits, despite telling me they were, i had the city inspector and a structural engineer come by, and they both confirm the walls were load bearing. I have emails from the contractor telling me they didnt believe the walls to be load bearing, and had numerous verbal conversations with them as well.

    I am in the process of having an architect figure out a solution, and am going to file a complaint with the Registrar of Contractors.

    Does anyone have any advice for where to proceed from here?

    submitted by /u/Zoey1424
    [link] [comments]

    Before & After: I painted my garage stairs and landing

    Posted: 30 May 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    Imgur Album

    The stairs in my garage were unfinished and pretty rough looking so I wanted to do a facelift. I expected this to be a quick Memorial Day weekend project, but it took me a couple extra days and a few trips to Home Depot to get different supplies like primer and new paint.

    I'm really glad it's over now and pretty satisfied with how it turned out, but there were some ugly bits in between like a bad stain choice. I ended up caulking all of the gaps between the white boards and it helped make the stairs look even cleaner.

    Also - any pro tips on removing paint spills on concrete? I thought I had everything covered but clearly I didn't.

    submitted by /u/CPOx
    [link] [comments]

    Let’s talk about stud finders

    Posted: 30 May 2020 07:51 AM PDT

    Does anyone have a stud finder they feel particularly attached to / gives them butterflies in their loins? I've tried just about every one from the big box stores and I'm always left disappointed.

    Ideally, I want one that also detects metal and/or electrical current.

    Anyone have a hidden gem?

    Edit: To comply with the general principles of the English language.

    submitted by /u/TheHarderYouWork
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to leave AC unit on if I'm out for an hour or two or should I turn it off completely?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    I'm in a 650ft condo and I've heard mixed things about leaving an AC unit on vs turning it off. I go out often but not more than for a few hours at a time. Should I turn off the unit completely or turn the temperature up a bit?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/blackoutrishi
    [link] [comments]

    What do I need to buy to replace these missing shingles?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/hKOy0HQ

    Are they just cut off of whole shingles?

    submitted by /u/iwasuncoolonce
    [link] [comments]

    Polymeric sand between city sidewalk pavers

    Posted: 30 May 2020 09:08 AM PDT

    Every year I scrape the weeds, grass clippings and ant colonies out from the cracks in the sidewalk in front of my house (not the cracks - the spaces between each section). I have a bag of polymeric sand left from a project last year and wondering if I can use this here?

    The cracks open directly to the road - should I put some duct tape along there while it sets so that it doesn't all immediately wash out? Or is there a better way?

    submitted by /u/Golden_Spruce
    [link] [comments]

    How can I fill this hole in my door trim?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 08:19 PM PDT

    Why are my outlets leaking?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    I have several outlets that get these water trails coming down from them. They're all on the front of my house which would be the south wall. I assume it has something to do with condensation?

    Outlet

    submitted by /u/brick_to_the_face25
    [link] [comments]

    Crown molding project

    Posted: 30 May 2020 05:25 PM PDT

    First time crown molder here and starting on my first crown molding project in the house. My house is relatively small (1,400 sf) and the bedrooms are all 10x10 except for the Master which is 11x13. I've read to stick with 3" or smaller with smaller sized rooms so I'm looking for common moldings around that size without going too small (see question 2). My questions are:

    1) What would be a common molding that can be used throughout the house? I'm looking for same material/design that can work in a bathroom and is readily available in case we get an extension or need to make repairs.

    2) I have 2 vents in the living room/dining area that are 2" and 1 1/4" from the top of the grille to the ceiling. Without having to relocate the vents, what would be the best way to trim around these vents?

    TIA for your help/ideas!

    submitted by /u/Crimsoncuda
    [link] [comments]

    A Rough Cut Cedar post on my Gazebo has a little bit of rot. Curious if I just need to sand out the rotted area. Appears to be just on the surface and not very deep

    Posted: 30 May 2020 05:15 PM PDT

    Should I check for duct leaks?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 09:36 AM PDT

    Just moved into our first owned home. Lots of learning to do. This insulation was stuck in one of the a/c vents in the ceiling. Does that mean I need to go in the attic and patch up the hole where I'm leaking air, and letting in insulation? If so, then what's the best way to patch it? It's the flimsy aluminum hose ducting, like 8" diameter.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/KQVyz7k

    submitted by /u/orberto
    [link] [comments]

    Which storm door should I get?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 04:59 PM PDT

    I want to install a storm door but I am confused about all the options. These are my requirements:

    1. Full-view with retractable screen
    2. Black or brown in color
    3. Push-button handle (does not need to lock)
    4. Opening size is 83 x 35 (door of old house dating 1920)

    Especially the size is problematic with inner width 35 inch, inner height 83 inch.

    https://imgur.com/a/RJELX9z

    I've checked out Larson, Andersen, Emco, Croft but overwhelmed with all the options and how to pick a size.

    submitted by /u/bartoncls
    [link] [comments]

    Soundproofing a room

    Posted: 30 May 2020 09:53 PM PDT

    So there was a pretty large room that had a way to pretty much divide the room pretty evenly so we drilled in a piece of plywood. The problem is, of course, its paper-thin we have realized and can hear each others conversations.

    So we arent looking to cause any more damage, mostly just looking to add onto the plywood. We already have all the furniture we can against it because I heard that furniture is the best way to soundproof a room.

    The plywood isnt airtight against the wall so if there is anything I could use that wouldnt damage anything that would help make a seal for that I assume that would help. As well as anything I can add to the plywood to help soundproof the room more. I just dont know what material is good for this. I keep hearing mixed things online and just trying to find out what actually works to keep sound out and from going through.

    submitted by /u/andrdfry
    [link] [comments]

    I calculated how many concrete post footings I'll be making. Any advice on work flow and working with large amounts of concrete to my backyard?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 09:42 PM PDT

    Each footing will be 12" diameter and 48" deep (went on the safe side for Canadian winters). I will be making 9 footings. This requires 1.05 cubic yards of concrete, or 62 60lb concrete bags. Should I stick to big box with these amounts or is it worth buying in bulk from someone else?

    How should I move all this to my backyard? For digging the post holes I will be renting an auger. Im thinking I should rent a concrete mixer too. Any advice? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Zappa-
    [link] [comments]

    Do you need a dehumidifier in every room?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    We bought a new home that has nests installed and I constantly see our humidity go to 55-65% on both the downstairs and upstairs nests. I don't want mold growth and I also don't want to sweat in my own home so I've been looking at buying a dehumidifier. The problem is that they are all meant for single rooms. Do people typically have one in every room? I can't seem to find an option to cover the entire house. I can do simple work around the house but dehumidifiers are definitely outside of anything I know about so any advice would greatly help!!

    submitted by /u/SpartanVFL
    [link] [comments]

    Where to find decorative cedar shingles?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    A little bit off topic, but building this little library. Where do I find shingles that are similar?

    submitted by /u/Free_Kashmir
    [link] [comments]

    Well in my basement

    Posted: 30 May 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    Recently purchased a house that has an old well in the basement, home was built in 1830 and it looks like it has since been capped and uncapped about 10 times, most recently a wall was built in front of it to wall it off which looks like it caused problems and so a hole was knocked out of the wall so that a sump pump could be dropped down into the well and pumped outside

    The problem is the whole house smells like water... And I know many people are thinking water doesn't have a smell but trust me, it does.

    There's already a dehumidifier down there but it's obviously not doing a good enough job.

    Do I need to bite the bullet and get an "industrial" dehumidifier or is there something I'm missing that I can do to help

    submitted by /u/Bills-mafioso
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone here go from siding to stucco?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 03:00 PM PDT

    How do you like it and how much did it cost? Considering it for my home

    submitted by /u/Austinitered
    [link] [comments]

    Repainting poorly-done trim

    Posted: 30 May 2020 04:10 PM PDT

    My partner and I purchased our home last year - generally in good shape, but with a lot of...interesting DIY projects on the inside. (Think imitation-wood-paneling wallpaper in the kitchen, plus dark brown spray paint to cover spots where they spackled over the wallpaper.) This is a relatively minor one, but it has me a little stumped.

    All the upstairs trim was painted sky blue. I want to paint it white, but the existing blue paint was definitely not designed for painting trim - painter's tape pulls it right up. Pictures here: 1 (what the trim looks like in general), 2 & 3 (images of what happens after removing painter's tape). From what I've heard, it sounds like my main options are 1) completely sanding off the paint or 2) replacing the trim. Neither of these options sound very attractive to me, but they're still more attractive than that trim! If I'm looking to minimize the expense, time, and energy put in (in that order - budget is the most limiting factor), what is my best option here?

    I don't know that it's super relevant to this project, but I know location is preferred in these posts - I'm located in Massachusetts.

    submitted by /u/buytwobirdsonitunes
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to turn a shed into a studio. Wondering if I can use existing slab or should anticipate complete demo of slab/foundation.

    Posted: 30 May 2020 09:10 AM PDT

    Hey Everyone,

    Pictures for reference. Looking for advice on a few major things related to rebuilding a shed into a livable space in my backyard. The plan is to tear-down and rebuild as a 1 story, shed roofed, livable space and expand 3-4' in the front to create approx a 500sqft Finished space with water/wastewater/electric/Heating and cooling. This will all be permitted. Here is a very rough example of what I imagine this could look like.

    Things that I would love some input on if people have some recommendations.....

    1. Slab/Foundation There is an ~8" slab foundation that the shed is built upon. The left side of the shed has an additional 3" of concrete flooring. The entire slab is in decent shape but should be leveled and expanded in the front for an additional 3-4' to provide a legit base for the new framed structure. For reference, in central Virginia.
    • Should I anticipate having to pour a new foundation or is it possible that a contractor could pour a new slab on top of this or build some sort of piers off of this existing slab?
    • The front of the shed is slightly above grade (4-5"), hoping the 4' extension in the front and increase in height can start to mitigate any moisture issues. I also plan on creating an awning/covered deck to keep water away from from of structure.
    1. The windows are only 3 years old and are in good shape, general estimate if these can be reused if they are saved during the demo? They are double hung and are "loosely" framed in.
    2. In the 4' extension on the front of the shed, I'm planning on using an ejector/grinder pump system (such as https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Zoeller-912-0020-Sewage-Pump/p16449.html) that will pump 25' horizontally and 1.5' vertically and tie into my house line through my foundation. Permitting requires this.
    • Any guidance from anyone who has ever installed these types of systems? The loose plan is to have the basin embedded or sunken below the new slab in the front of the house and include as a utility closet. Curious on implementations of these systems at near grade and used not in a capacity such as a basement toilet etc. Just wondering on where might be a good place to start just in designing where the actual basin would go.
    submitted by /u/needsmorepepper
    [link] [comments]

    Need help trying to fix my fridge

    Posted: 30 May 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    I have a GE Profile fridge that started freezing over in the back panel a little while back. Recently, the whole unit stopped cooling and I thought it was because the built up ice so I unplugged it to let it melt. 24 hours later, just about all the ice is gone but to be sure, I cracked open the back panel to let it drain and it hasn't stopped dripping since this morning(i have not turned the water off) Is there a way I could've broken the water line by cracking the back panel open a bit or does that panel tend to hold a lot of water?

    submitted by /u/bluthco
    [link] [comments]

    Converting traditional wood fireplace to gas: what is the best option?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 03:37 PM PDT

    As I understand, my options are

    1) gas logs which ive read make the best flames , but produce no heat and require the damper being open all year which probably leads to heating inefficiencies on electric bill in addition to a higher natural gas bill given the inefficiency of the system

    2) inserts which are far more expensive and generate heat, but have less realistic looking flames.

    Curious if others have recommendations on personal experiences.

    submitted by /u/Rotishery
    [link] [comments]

    Is my plumber incompetent, dishonest, both, or neither?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    Hi r/homeimprovement. I'm in a plumbing pickle and could use your help!

    I am currently remodeling the upstairs bathroom of my 1941 1.5 story home. I relocated the shower and sink (new vents were added for both) but the toilet remained the same. My floor joists are not big enough to accommodate the waste lines, so the plumbing runs along the subfloor and will be contained in an platform/step up.

    Well, we didn't pass our rough in inspection. The bulk of the problems stem from the shower. The inspector wanted three fixes: shower drain to be 2" (currently 1.5"), shower vent to come in before sink drain (currently is wet vented), and horizontal run of the shower vent needs to be elevated above the drain (it's currently level with it). Pics here.

    My plumbers claim that to make the fixes (particularly to upsize to 2" pipe) they will need to redo the toilet so that the proper connector can be put in to connect the 2" drain to the toilet waste line. They also said this will require the toilet to be higher up (and therefore require a bigger step up). They want to charge me more for this which I can kinda understand since touching the toilet was not in the original bid. On the other hand, I'm pissed off because they either unknowingly installed stuff that's not to code (incompetent) or assumed I wouldn't be pulling permits (?) and put in something that would (probably) work fine but wasn't to code while telling me it was (dishonest).

    Long story short, I don't really trust their diagnosis. I am going to talk to them again as well as their shop manager, but I think my probable next move is to get a different plumbers opinion. In the meantime, I wanted to see if you fine folks here at r/homeimprovement had any insight into my situation. Does the toilet really need to be redone? Am I justified in being pissed?

    Thanks for any help (or commiseration)!

    (Sidenote: the inspector also wanted a pressure test to be provided. I kinda understand what that means, but how can that work when I've got open vents in the system? Wouldn't it never pressurize? Do you plug them up? Can someone ELI5? I feel like I'm missing something...)

    submitted by /u/yanayana_chimichanga
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing Range Hood. Currently stuck.

    Posted: 30 May 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I am in the midst of replacing the original range hood that was installed when the house was built in 1989 (no I didn't add duct tape).

    I purchase a range hood from Home Depot. It's a Broan BCSD13622. If you see in the pictures, the one I purchased does not have the "round adapter plate" and I noticed the box says I would need to purchased a 7" damper. Does anyone know which specific damper I would need? A link to it on the Lowe's or Home Depot site would be most helpful. Do you know what else am I needing to finish installing this range hood? https://imgur.com/a/i59XK05

    Edit: I just noticed our pipe has a damper inside of it. Should I leave that one in or replace it with a Broan one? I've added a picture of it to the imgur link

    submitted by /u/dontsendd
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment