• Breaking News

    Friday, April 10, 2020

    Home security: Keeping neighbors off your property

    Home security: Keeping neighbors off your property


    Keeping neighbors off your property

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    We have had issues with neighbors for years now. There is no fence between us and them due to the weird way our front yards are mapped out. A ditch runs through the yards and they are very long front yards. Neighbors play out front all the time and tromp back and forth and back and forth through our yard. They treat our yard as their own personal playground. They even will setup games of football or frisbee golf in our yard since our yard is bigger and flatter than theirs. They leave their balls and toys in my yard all the time.

    I do not like them. We do not get along for many reasons. They don't like me. Our kids do not interact. So I don't want them in my yard period. The cops actually had to come out yesterday because we got into it.

    So my question is I have Ring doorbell that records them if they come on my porch or get close to my porch. The officer told them to never come on my property again. Even to retrieve a lost ball or anything. They cannot cross the property line.

    I was looking for suggestions for maybe a Ring type floodlight camera to cover the whole yard as well as some good "No trespassing signs" to put up that look classy but effective.

    Where would be good locations to put the signs?

    Any other suggestions to secure my property that don't include a fence and protect my legal right to keep off unwanted visitors. I was told if I catch them on my property I can call the cops and actions will be taken since they have been officially notified by police twice now.

    submitted by /u/nonailsnodrag
    [link] [comments]

    Attempted break in

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:11 PM PDT

    We had moved into our house 2 days before an attempted break in. Someone was tapping at our back window, I woke my bf up and we heard the side gate and the neighbors dogs going crazy. My bf looked out the door window and shut the front light off. He saw one man going to a car and opened the front door and not so nicely asked wtf he was doing in our yard and he said he knew someone that lived here (house has been vacant for 3 years, also it was 3am) and another man came from the side of the house and my bf flew off the porch and started beating this dude's ass. The other man was trying to get my bf off the dude, and ripped our front chain link fence door off and brandished a knife. My bf beat this dude pretty good and the other man kept getting closer so when he did my bf took off on him, he ran to the car and somehow the other man did too, but my bf got license plate and they tried to run him over. When the cops got there there was a knife in our yard where the fight took place (scary). We put up security cameras and got a security system...what are the chances of these guys coming back??? Even though they didn't get in I feel robbed of my peace, my bf doesn't sleep at night any more...anyone ever been through this??

    submitted by /u/danielle1018
    [link] [comments]

    Camera upgrade

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 10:09 AM PDT

    I currently have a 6 camera setup on my house (https://www.amazon.com/ANNKE-Security-Surveillance-System-Weatherproof/dp/B00UBRYL6Q/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Annke&qid=1586538464&sr=8-5)

    They're decent enough. But there is one camera that I want to be able to capture better quality for stuff further away than these do well at.

    Are there good cameras that would work with this system that I could buy to upgrade the quality? Or would I need a new system for this one camera? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mrturdferguson
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for Continuous recording outdoor camera

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    Patio layout is small. I live in a condo and only have one location that needs to be monitored.

    I currently have a Ring Doorbell 2 monitoring the front door.

    https://imgur.com/a/py6Q1ur

    This serves it's purpose when we want to see the mailman come by, or if someone actually rings the doorbell. There are a few major gaps in security here that I'd like to fill.

    1. Any interaction at the door longer than 30 seconds wouldn't be recorded.
    2. Often don't catch the person approaching, only leaving.
    3. New mailbox blocks the view of the approaching sidewalk on the left. (yes, I could change the mailbox but the wife likes it).

    When we moved in here, we noticed that a prior owner had some kind of ADT system set up as there is a camera installed, but it's not hooked up to anything. We do not plan on purchasing an ADT plan.

    https://imgur.com/a/Mxy4J2s

    You can see the camera in the bottom-left of the image above.

    I'd like to replace this camera with something that I have control over. Get a good view of the patio and have longer-term recording beyond the 30-second motion-triggered videos.

    Motion alerts would still be nice, but I would like to perhaps have continuous recording set up.

    Any recommendations for a good camera in the $80-120 range?

    If it can integrate with Google Home, Nest, or IFTTT that would be a plus. Definitely want to be able to view from my smartphone.

    submitted by /u/KD2JAG
    [link] [comments]

    Renting a house - Looking for a video doorbell but I can't hardwire. Any suggestions?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm looking at video doorbells right now but I'm renting a house for some time and I want to track my online shipments right now. I can't hard wire through the doorbell that we have (it doesn't work anyway). I'm thinking between a toucan video doorbell or a eufy battery operated doorbell.

    Toucan Video Doorbell:

    • 180 degrees to see packages (big factor for me)
    • pretty cheap subscription plan ($2.99/month)
    • priced at $89.99
    • Comes with the doorbell chime

    Cons:

    • no motion zones/AI detection

    Eufy Battery Doorbell:

    • No monthly fee
    • Motion zones
    • wire free

    Cons:

    • priced at $199
    • not as wide of an angle

    What do you all think? Both include two way talk, work with alexa/google home, have cloud storage, weatherproof, and other essential items for a doorbell. I've heard of family having the Toucan Kuna Security and they really liked it.

    Toucan Video Doorbell listing: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Detection-Easy-Installation-Rechargeable-Weatherproof/dp/B07ZHQQ21H/ref=sr_1_62?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+video+doorbell&qid=1586541449&sr=8-62

    Eufy Wireless Doorbell: https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Security-Battery-Powered-Detection-Self-Installation/dp/B081C4JN51/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+video+doorbell&qid=1586540795&sr=8-8

    submitted by /u/harmonymoonlight
    [link] [comments]

    Spears for home defense?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    I'm 19 and live in California so a gun's out of the question.

    I already have a p decent knife and some pepper spray, which I know is only slightly better than nothing. A spear sounds much better since it gives you a lot of space, and the way my parents' apartment is set up a longish hallway directly out of both rooms room, and then a living room and kitchen area to the left or right, so turning corners is only a problem there.

    Due to COVID-19, the local PD is no longer responding to "non-emergencies" and "response time may be affected." My parents also live in the ghetto, and are unwilling to buy a gun for themselves.

    Where can I get a spear that won't bend or break if it hits bone?

    submitted by /u/yg301
    [link] [comments]

    Do *quality* motion sensor lights exist?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    Over the years Ive spent time googling on this and never got a decent answer.. We've got a few shops around the property and the house.. I put your standard 2 lamp motion sensor light on my shop years ago.. if nothing else, to light up when I drive in so I can see wtf Im doin..

    Landlords not a fan, understandably, as my shop is closest to the neighbours, and we've a ton of trees.. so when the wind starts up, the trees set my motion light off in the middle of the night.. bothering neighbours, landlord etc.

    Is there such a thing as a decent motion sensor light these days? Something with some brains to determine if its a human/vehicle or a big damn tree swaying back n forth? Even if the deer set it off once a month, thats not the end of the world..

    thanks..

    submitted by /u/the-cake-is-no-lie
    [link] [comments]

    Magnet gate locks

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    My neighbors have a gate on their driveway. It does have a small motor to open and close. The problem is you can literally push it open. A magnetic lock looks like it would solve this. Anyone familiar with these? I am assuming they cannot be ran off over solar panel?

    submitted by /u/godsfshrmn
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal to set up a remote controlled turret/gun at the entrance of my house as long as it's operated by me?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 03:52 AM PDT

    I want to set up some sort of gun or turret or shotgun near the entrance of my house. It won't me automatic or a booby trap or anything but it would be operated by some sort of electronic signal like a remote or app or something. I want to be able to take someone out who is trying to break into my house without waiting for them to actually get in. The gun would be outside the door hidden behind the siding or something, or maybe inside pointed at the side of the entry way, still figuring things out.

    Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/Dokkanflyer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment