• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 12, 2020

    Home security: Break-in sometime last night. The damage is done, but still piecing things together. Odd item found.

    Home security: Break-in sometime last night. The damage is done, but still piecing things together. Odd item found.


    Break-in sometime last night. The damage is done, but still piecing things together. Odd item found.

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    We had a break-in last night, and had a phone/laptop taken. We've been trying to figure out where they entered from. The upstairs neighbor has cameras near every entrance besides our front door, so we figured our front door, which auto-locks (and has been having issues successfully auto-locking without being pushed closed) is where the person came in.

    We didn't have any security setup other than a light bell which rings when doors/windows are opened. We clearly slept through this. We've ordered Blink cameras to place near the entrances in the future.

    What I'm really curious to ask you all about is this card I found inside our front door (the suspected entrance), near the mail slot. I know this was placed or dropped here at some point in the night because I arrived home at 9pm from a jog, and cleared out all the mail. It seems to be a part of a setup guide for a home smart lock.

    We don't have a smart lock, so we're assuming that this was either a) left behind as a slap in the face, or b) dropped accidentally by the suspect, who uses this to gain backdoor access to smart locks they wish to bypass - assuming this is a career burglar.

    Has anyone seen anything like this before? Does it look like something that could be used to gain admin access to an Akaso smart lock? Or am I overthinking this?

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Stay safe.

    Card found inside mail shoot

    submitted by /u/StreetStripe
    [link] [comments]

    concealed outdoor camera lens recommendation

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 02:02 PM PDT

    ive had some recent vandalism, petty but gross involving dog poop (i dont even own a pet). either someones got it in for me or someone took it upon themselves to make a point about cleaning up other peoples dog shit left on my property. its not like there isnt a quarantine order and im in and out several times a day to notice that something needs a hose. but anyway...i want to catch them with a face shot in case this is escalating, like if they pee on my car door or taint the handle or something. i could opt for detterence and make ot obvious theyre being recorded but i kinda want to see them and at best file charges at worst print, link and shame them. randomly ive noticed things like a water spot that was too big for a bird, maybe some accidentally splashed my car or maybe that was part of some long term grudge with this most recent thing being so blatant. i keep to myself for the most part except when i had to deal with unlicensed structural work being done that couldve jeopardized my property and some flippers dumping their debris.

    submitted by /u/dafukusayin
    [link] [comments]

    Considering switching to Abode or Ring alarm (From Nest Secure)

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    I'd love some feedback from users of any of these systems. Thanks.

    I live in both Nest and Ring eco systems. I like both and each have their advantages so I go what works best for me. Nest - Secure (Alarm), Thermostats, doorbell cam, smoke detectors, outdoor + indoor cam. Ring - floodlight cams, pathlights.

    I like Nest Secure generally, but has some important shortcomings:
    -$30 a month for monitoring (unless I sign a 3 year contract, wtf). I have yet to sign up for it.
    -Monitoring does not include support for Nest smoke detectors. Very important to me as I have dogs.
    -Am hearing cellular backup is going away this year.
    -No integrations and clear roadmap of future improvements.
    -Nest app often signs me out when Im checking on statuses. I can get around by force closing and re-opening the app. Not ideal if something is time sensitive.

    I know Ring alarm will have some advantages that are important to me:
    -I already pay for Ring Protect for my other devices so I basically get monitoring included at no extra charge.
    -Monitoring will include smoke detector alerts (am aware I will need to switch to First Alert devices)
    -Support of multiple keypads
    -More accessories (flood / freeze sensor, panic button, etc)

    Some Ring alarm cons I have found so far:
    -No glass break detection
    -Ring base station doesn't have same durability that Nest base station has.
    -Nest sensors include both contact and motion capability in one device.

    Abode seems to hit all the checkmarks:
    -Reasonable monitoring pricing
    -Monitoring includes smoke detector alerts
    -3rd party integrations and automations - eg if alarm goes off trigger automations such as turn on all hue lights
    -Biggest selection of accessories
    -Homekit integration is a plus

    I am still learning about Abode and have some uncertainties / concerns:
    -I don't know enough about them to know of their reliability of hardware/app
    -App have very poor reviews on app store
    -Read a lot of issues with their support
    -I am interested in a Hue light integration, but if I connect the Hue's to the base station do I lose other functionality.

    submitted by /u/MoggX
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone come across consumer level poe cameras with multiple sensors?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 04:44 PM PDT

    Looking to setup a camera system. Its a project i've been meaning to go at, should have done it sooner, but some sticky fingers have been on my property recently..

    Theres a spot at the front of the house where i want to setup a camera, but would like to capture footage with an fov i'd say around 140 degrees. I'm assuming a single sensor/lens setup like that would give something of a fishbowl view which wouldn't be too handy. So was wondering if anyone made something like a single housing with multiple senors in it.

    I'd like to avoid multiple cameras at the spot, but what i found that could do it seemed to be on the commercial scale with no price listed essentially.

    Not even sure if something like that would be a good buy anyway cause i'd assume it would be something like a 3in1 and if one of them went bad i'd basically have to replace the whole thing...

    Just crossed my mind to maybe look for tiny camera setups that still support poe. Just trying to avoid crowding this ideal spot with an array of cameras pointed every which way is all.

    submitted by /u/alteredbrainchem
    [link] [comments]

    Axe for home defence?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    Looking to get a cold steel trail boss axe for home defence or would a machete be better.

    submitted by /u/jack198632
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment