• Breaking News

    Friday, April 17, 2020

    Home security: 3:51AM someone ran up to my house porch from car and ran away back in car.

    Home security: 3:51AM someone ran up to my house porch from car and ran away back in car.


    3:51AM someone ran up to my house porch from car and ran away back in car.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 03:00 AM PDT

    One house in my block complained about a break during the night in not too long ago. So all the lights in my home are off. I have a room at the second floor so I can see the street the cars drive on. A car drives by fast (I look out the window because I hear it) and a man runs up to my house porch and toggles the door knob, mailbox or something just slightly then dashed back to the car. The car then went fast to two other houses on my block. They only did this to three houses on my block. The car is a cheap small car. The person I can't see much because it's night but looks slender and moves like a young person. However, this happened about a month ago and I got really suspicious. BUT THE SAME THING JUST HAPPENED NOW.

    I don't see anything noticeable on my porch or anything. I don't think I should report this because it might just be something stupid. Anyone know what this might be?

    submitted by /u/floralcement
    [link] [comments]

    Construction Storm Shelter/ Safe Room HELP!!

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    Howdy,

    With all the social distancing and stay in place orders going on I figure now with all my free time would be the best time to build a storm shelter/ safe room in my basement.

    Currently my plan is to convert my storage room into my storm shelter. It's an unfinished "room" that is under my concrete slab deck. With a opening that is 12ft wide and joists 8ft from the concrete foundation.

    Considering building a concrete reinforced cinderblock wall with steel entry door with some sort of barricade bracket and beefed up strike plate. However I've got some questions.....

    —Do I need to reinforce the wall with rebar? —Do I need to fill in the cinder black with concrete? —Do I need to brace the backside of the wall to keep it from caving in or being pushed in? What do I need to do to the joists, ceiling top of the wall to secure it? — What about ventilation?

    Thanks AU

    submitted by /u/anomymousANDumamious
    [link] [comments]

    Google, NC1104US, Nest Security Camera

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    Currently on sale on amazon - $50 off

    submitted by /u/Baldomcc
    [link] [comments]

    Lorex NVR Issues

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 10:44 AM PDT

    Hello, not sure if this is the right sub to post on but I have a 16ch LNR Lorex NVR and lately one of the issues I've been having is with 2-way talk through the mobile app. My cameras are the 4k SMD with lights and 2-way audio.

    Seems like out of nowhere, I'm only able to listen in on the cameras, when I try to activate the "microphone" icon, it says "failed to enable 2-way talk" but when I manually restart the NVR, it starts working again, however just to go back after a couple of days.

    Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, what did you do? I'm dreading calling their awful tech support just to waste 3 hours of doing idiotic steps that I've already tried. Is it possible that my unit is faulty? Should I attempt to get a replacement? because I know I'm still under warranty.

    submitted by /u/dan_ruski
    [link] [comments]

    Building a budget walk in safe, am I going down the correct path?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 06:36 PM PDT

    The house I am currently in has a basement room that is fully cinder blocked on all 4 sides with a door size opening. My plan is to turn this into a safe room for storing items, not one for holding yourself up in. I also intend to frequently use it as a workspace.

    I want it secured to the point that the best option would be cutting a hole in the door to gain entrance.

    My current plan:

    Budget steel door from local big box contractor store framed with wood and anchored into the blocks.

    Armor max door lock reinforcement kit.

    Electronic bolt without a key, only the keypad. My thought is this won't allow bumping or picking.

    Electronic door knob with key. Will still allow me keyless entry to the room at all times while still remaining locked, and getting one with a key is half the price.

    Pictures of the lock systems I bought: https://imgur.com/a/l8eCGQc

    Right now this is costing me about $500 which is where I want the project budget to be.

    submitted by /u/DickMonkie
    [link] [comments]

    Security / Surveillance Question: Should my camera system be integrated with my monitored security system?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    New home, basically starting from scratch.

    Looking into AlarmGrid-monitored DIY system from either 2Gig, Honeywell, or Qolsys. I'd also like to implement a simple exterior 4-camera system. Please note these systems are in addition to other physical security measures being taken.

    *I was thinking about a Hikvision POE IP-based camera system, but now I'm realizing... should I be planning to have this camera system integrated directly with the security system? What is the benefit of doing so? Would I need to buy into a honeywell/2gig/qolsys camera system for them to work together, or can I actually integrate a system like hikvision with any of these systems (alarm.net or Total connect etc)

    My instinct is to keep them separate and more purpose built, but I don't want to overlook some obvious benefit i'm missing. Thanks

    submitted by /u/SampsonRustic
    [link] [comments]

    Two questions: 1) wired vs wireless alarm systems. 2) security camera recommendations

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    1) When bought the house it came with a wired alarm system. Not the greatest set-up since a few of the "zones" included several rooms - not ideal for identifying an issue, or if only wanting to bypass a certain window/door. Recently had an issue with one zone. Was told that it would be a lot of work to re-wire it and we could consider doing wireless contacts.

    What are the pros v cons of wired vs wireless? Is it worth the added expense for wired?

    2) The house also came with 8 exterior cameras. Very crappy quality, awful monitoring setup and UI. But.. they were free since came with the house. Recently the system failed.

    I just want a system that is basically set it and forget it and for it just to work. Not looking for active monitoring of the cameras, just want them as "deterrants" as well as to be able to survey the exterior of the house (both from a monitor as well as remotely from phone/tablet). Would like recordings, not interested in paying for cloud storage so local storage either via SD card or NVR should be fine.

    A) What system would you recommend? B) Is it something easy to install myself? No idea how the prior ones are connected (POE or otherwise). C) Otherwise who is best to call to install this (I'm sure this varies by location, but generally what am I googling? is this also my alarm guy?)

    submitted by /u/Scotching123
    [link] [comments]

    Hey love Vivint hate moving as long as you have a current Vivint count I can help you save money on your monthly monitoring or upgrade new equipment at a discounted price. And even if you need help canceling canceling I can walk you through that too.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    Hey current loyalty department rep here pretty sure I'm allowed to promote the brand I know a lot of people in here have a lot of issues ,..... you just need to speak to the right person.

    So I'm shamelessly promoting myself as your go-to for any account questions or if you want to upgrade. Or if you want to cancel.

    I can't promise americal on every account but I'll do my best, For example I had a customer who was at the end of his contract and had the sky control panel (one of thecolder panels) He was paying $78 a month just for monitoring, I helped him upgrade to the smart Hub panel add to outdoor camera pros and his monthly rate went down to 65 bucks.

    I had another customer who is paying $109 and I got them down to 39 99, with all existing services and 12 month agreement.

    It all depends on where you are on your agreement and what you want to do let me know your discretion is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Usble2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment