• Breaking News

    Monday, April 27, 2020

    Home Improvement: Bathroom fan upgrade - waited far too long

    Home Improvement: Bathroom fan upgrade - waited far too long


    Bathroom fan upgrade - waited far too long

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    When we moved into our home 3 years ago, the amount of builders grade products and corner cutting we have found has been insane. One project I kept putting off was replacing our master bathroom fan. Now that I have nothing but time, I took on the project.

    Our master had the typical $15 Broan 50CFM 4 sones fan. It was so annoyingly loud we never wanted to use it, and left with a very humid bathroom and by default bedroom. I replaced it with the Panasonic WhisperChoice fan which has a .8 Sones noise level while also being 110CFM. I also found in the attic that the old 3 inch vent was all spiraled and ended up going nowhere. It used to be attached to the roof vent but it must've fallen down at some point. Corrected that to larger 4 inch and air sealed everything. What a difference! I can not believe I waited this long. If you are on the fence about doing this, I am sure your house will thank you for the reduced moisture.

    EDIT: This was the one I went with https://www.lowes.com/pd/Panasonic-WhisperRemodel-0-8-Sone-110-CFM-White-Bathroom-Fan-ENERGY-STAR/1000616105

    submitted by /u/ohthehumans
    [link] [comments]

    I feel so stupid but I need help...

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 05:25 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/dbpg2NP.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/j38Cfpv.jpg

    So my whirlpool fridge is brand new and for some reason the water dispenser leans out over the water catch area and leaks two drops all over the front of the fridge and on the floor after dispensing water. I can not find if there is an attachment or something I can put to hang over the lip of the catch area, anybody have any idea?

    submitted by /u/GoHomeWalter
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a thin 100 y/o hardwood floor with bad stain job look nice again without sanding? Pics included.

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:02 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/CVCgQYF

    The hardwood is my homes original flooring and spans three rooms on the first floor so it's a big area. It's pretty solid as a floor but apparently too thin to sand. I'd like some tips and product suggestions for how to breathe new life into it, if possible.

    I've been told by two local floor refinishing companies that basically they can't save it (because they'd have to sand it) and my only option is to replace it with new hardwood or go over it with something else. Is that true or can I restore it? It doesn't have to be perfect, I just want it to be nice and clean and protected from getting damaged even more.

    submitted by /u/whupsmyanarchysymbol
    [link] [comments]

    Improving attic insulation, with limited headroom

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 04:47 PM PDT

    Location - New Hampshire A quick MS paint sketch for reference: https://imgur.com/a/LPyQkrR

    I'm just now finishing up with the last few tasks around my house that involve access to the ceiling, and I was hoping to get a sanity check on my plan for improving the insulation situation. The house is between 70-90 years old, ~750 sq.ft, concrete block walls, w/2" of xps on the exterior. The attic is vented with a couple open "knee walls" for lack of a better term, running down the length, with the space between them covered in floorboards, for some nice storage space. The ceiling joists are 2x6, which I feel like is a bit wimpy, but the spans between load bearing walls check out (it's a small house with small rooms), and it seems to have held up to the test of time in that use case without visibly sagging.

    The existing insulation, both under the floorboards and outside the knee walls, is a mixture of loose fill cellulose, fiberglass batts, and some sort of wood fiber batts (I've had it all tested for asbestos) seemingly haphazardly thrown together, and by now all messed around from electrical work and drywall replacement. It's only as deep as the joists, so 5.5" thick. While the house will likely never be up to modern energy efficiency standards for a variety of reasons, adding a bit of insulation seems like a low-hanging fruit.

    First question: Should the existing insulation be totally removed to start fresh on account of it being disturbed, or is it OK to just blow new insulation on top of it?

    Second question: I would like to maintain the useful space that currently has a floor. Due to low roof height, I'd like to only add 2-4" of material in that center space (I'd fill the area in the "wings" to a normal depth). Would it be problematic from a safety or moisture perspective to fill the joist bays in this area with loose insulation, floor them over with say 1/2" ply, then "float" a layer of poly-iso or similar board, with a plywood floor on top of that? I suppose I could add extra "joists" the same thickness as the foam to keep the weight off it if necessary. This wouldn't get me up to the recommended R-value, but hey, it'd be better than what's there.

    TL:DR weird old house, would my proposed insulation scheme make things less bad? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Leifkj
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with an extremely narrow but deep walk in closet?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    My bedroom closet is about 3 feet wide and 9ish feet deep. It has a single shelf at the very back, and a few (mostly useless) pegs at the front.

    There's a lot of space but it's very difficult to figure out the best storage set up. My fiance is a larger man, so if we were to put a rod down the length of the wall, or install shelves anywhere but the very back wall, he wouldn't be able to fit into the closet itself to pick out any clothes. I want to use it as a walk in and be able to store clothes and other accessories, while still being able to access everything and not be super squeezed. Any ideas?

    ETA We're renting a room in my fiance's mother's house, so we're not planning on making any structural changes if possible. We potentially could, but given this isn't our forever home (just for the next 5 years or so) we don't plan to drop a lot of cash.

    submitted by /u/Albinoloveslaves
    [link] [comments]

    Burner on samsung range didn't turn off

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    I was heating up some leftovers on the back left burner, 15 minutes after I'd turned it off I noticed the light was still on and it was still hot. I had to pull the damn thing out and unplug it. Even then it took forever to cool down to normal. What the actual? It was sheer dumb luck I was awake long enough to notice.

    submitted by /u/Feltboard
    [link] [comments]

    Employer moved me into an unhealthy apartment, I don't know how to fix it.

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    I have horrible headaches every day and my stomach constantly feels like I'm going to throw up. My boss started remodeling the apartment for me, then went "over budget" 30% of the way through and decided to leave it as is. There was what I believe to be mold growing 2 feet up the walls and they just painted over it. The apartment flooded through the walls every time it rained and I was told the building flooded several feet high during a flood that impacted the entire area. I took some pictures of the walls as they were being painted to show the condition they were in. My boss was told the building floods when it rains and said, "We'll deal with that when it happens", then he conveniently forgot about it and when it started flooding he pretended like nobody ever told him. We were told the surrounding area needed to be dug out to stop the flooding, but his solution was to bust up the inside of the house and fill it with sealant like so. https://i.imgur.com/ISwcfJh.jpg He was told by professionals that this won't hold for long, but he believes it to be a permanent solution. The only reason I'm still here is because I don't have to pay rent or utilities, but I'm ready to invest my own money at this point if there's an affordable solution. As it stands, I can't enter the hallway without gagging because the smell is so bad and two of the rooms in the apartment are uninhabitable. The kitchen and the bedroom I'm staying in are the only rooms where the work was completed. I have to air the hallway out the back door with a fan because the smell fills up the bathroom otherwise.

    https://i.imgur.com/kYLZUFt.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/NAUE81R.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/b6pWo6O.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/jncCmis.jpg

    This is the hallway which seems to be where the horrible smell is coming from:

    https://i.imgur.com/KNIoAKo.jpg

    I painted over it all with 3 coats and it still smells like something died in there:

    https://i.imgur.com/gJP9Gqz.jpg

    submitted by /u/UtahUnloader3
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of counter top is this, and how do I make it shine?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    I'm using it as the top for a desk. When I add some water it shines but then it goes back to being a bit dull.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/TGFwaE4

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/themaltesefalcons
    [link] [comments]

    No studs ? solid wall ?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    So I am trying to find studs on a wall to secure a loft bed to .The other side of the wall is a tiled shower.

    The stud finder weakly identified one stud on the top half of the room. However i drilled next to where the stud isnt supposed to be and the drywall seems to be going in deeper that 3/4 inch. concerned.

    Is it possible they built it without any studs if so what on earth is behind my drywall ? given that the is right next to the shower i dont want to hit a water line...

    submitted by /u/anewdogpanicneedhelp
    [link] [comments]

    Wrong paint finish?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    I bought matte grey paint for my bathroom because I genuinely prefer the look. I'm not being told by a friend that matte paint will mold?? I specifically told the paint department guy this was for a bathroom, and he says it's fine. Help! I can't return a custom color :/

    submitted by /u/Velvet_Unicorn2154
    [link] [comments]

    Low hot water pressure

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    I live in a 60 year old house with copper pipes, the hot water heater is from 1992. I have excellent cold water pressure, but very poor hot water pressure. The utility sink and basement shower and sink have great pressure either way. What would be the main culprit of the low hot water pressure?

    submitted by /u/HansGutentag
    [link] [comments]

    Split air-conditioning unit for bedroom

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm looking for a whisper-quiet split air-con unit for a large bedroom but only 115 V available (not 240 V). Any suggestions for a brand/model please? Has to be quiet and a high BTU. I'll install myself and get a contractor to gas it properly.

    submitted by /u/Jagged-S
    [link] [comments]

    Underground dog fence

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    I installed an underground dog fence over the weekend and am having trouble with signal interference from my cable and internet lines. I ran the wire parallel and maintained 6 feet of clearance from the lines. The main issue is that the junction box seems to be emitting enough RF that even from 10ft away it disrupts signal from the receiver to the transmitter. The receiver is designed to shut off if it doesn't receive signal from the transmitter for 10 seconds. The junction box is in a common area that my dog will sit and watch passerby. Does anyone have recommendations for RF shielding on the box? I would like to shield my internet cable as well just to eliminate that possibility for a headache in the future. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Outlaw260
    [link] [comments]

    1/2 inch or 3/4 Ply or OSB for attic storage

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    House is 100 years old. Joists measure 5 1/4 x 1 3/4 for some reason. It is a closed unvented attic system and there is tongue and groove flooring in places up there already. I only say this because I am not concerned with throwing some more boards down messing with the insulation or structural integrity.

    Anyway is 1/2'' material fine for basic storage? It is not living space. Ply or OSB?

    submitted by /u/DSJ13
    [link] [comments]

    New Roof on A-Frame Quote Feels Very High - Feedback?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am new to posting on this subreddit and about to be a new home owner! I am looking for some advice. A-frame built in 1960's, Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It has a little bit of fixer upper that comes with it - looks like it needs a roof. Here are photos of my roof that probably will need replacing: Side of Roof, Other Side.

    I have questions about what might be going on the first image. Foundation work was just completed on the house, and I am wondering what that might mean for the roof. The contractor who did the foundation quoted the roof job for $25,000 for "Roof replacement, soffit and eve repair".

    The job is quoted as three parts, 1. Tear off existing roofing down to wood. Repair any rotted wood and ladder gable with soffit and fascia as needed. 2. Replace roofing using 35yr dimensional shingles, install two rows of ice and water shield at eves with new drip edge. 3. Remove debris.

    Is that a sky high cost for a roof or is that pretty normal for this type of building and repair? I have done a few roofs myself with friends parents, but those were single level houses. Would love to know your thoughts on what this repair may entail.

    Thanks! If you'd like to see more photos of the roof, there are some here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/559-N-M553-Marquette-MI-49855/2083740965_zpid/?

    submitted by /u/JeffGoldblumlsMyDad
    [link] [comments]

    Need help on an uneven corner door trim!

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/ORiW6RB

    Preexisting trim was both ripped and stacked up on each other. Did some work and need to replace now.

    Is there any "proper" way to do this or make it look better than it was. Sorry I don't have any old photos. Thanks everyone in advance!

    submitted by /u/therealremymartin
    [link] [comments]

    Fence Staining Help

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 04:58 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I would like to freshen up the fence of a house a bought a few months back. It is not very big, not more than 50 linear ft, but I have never done this before. I have done my research, so I simply want to make sure I am going about this the right way. Here are pictures of the fence, as is:

    https://imgur.com/a/mVK2WZF

    1. Before getting into the meat of it, does this fence look like it actually needs to be be freshened up? I think it does since I can see bare patches. I think it would help me too to know when it was last done so I can plan to redo it from hereon every 3 years or so.
    2. I assumed this was previously stained, but now I am having second thoughts and wondering if it was just a thin paint job? If someone can confirm, that would be much appreciated.
    3. Assuming it was stained, I will be using a wood stain remover, letting it sit, scrubbing it off with a hard bristle brush, then hosing it down. If anyone has recommendations for a stain remover, I am happy to listen.
    4. Once it is dry (I will give it a few days), I plan on inspecting for rough edges that may be sticking out and sanding it down.
    5. I plan on using Ready Seal as my stainer. It seems ridiculous to get a fancy sprayer for this (especially since its a townhouse so close neighbors), so I was intending to go old school and use a brush/paint roller unless someone thinks that is a bad idea. Maybe I'll buy a hand-pump sprayer? I will be putting down plastic to cover the concrete.

    Happy to hear any tips or tricks that I may not be aware of also.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/selfpromoting
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Did I ruin the shower floor? It’s drying white. I think I’m going to tell on myself.

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    I used everyday CLR on the shower floor because it was recommended by a friend. Dummy me didn't realize it is or may be natural stone. It's now drying with a white residue. Some of it goes away when wet but reappears when dry. Is there anything I can before telling on myself to the landlord? I only used it a couple of times but I suspect the damage is done.

    submitted by /u/Preemo03
    [link] [comments]

    had to use drywall nails on backer board for under tile, how screwed is my floor?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 04:48 PM PDT

    neighbor moved out and I got a freezer from him. The inside has water in it and some rust. How can I remove the water and rust?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    I got some drills and don't mind spending a little bit of money on an attachment to get the rest out easier.

    How can I get the water out without fucking the freezer up?

    It's a smaller one. maybe 3 ft tall and 3 ft wide

    submitted by /u/theimmortalvirus
    [link] [comments]

    sun shade solutions!

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    hi folks! I'm considering installing a sun shade along the north side of our porch to 1) prevent so many leaves from the pepper tree getting on the furniture and 2) add additional privacy from our neighbors.

    The opening width is about 120" and height I stopped measuring at 70" so it's well more than that. I don't need it to reach the ground. My ISSUE is that the roof of our porch is slopes and I have no idea how to install! I mean we could always instal it against the wood and have it come down at an angle but I feel like there has to be another solution.

    Hereis the shade I was looking at. Also a photo of our space. Thanks guys! FYI we're located outside of Los Angeles.

    <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/wNwHKSh"><a href="//imgur.com/a/wNwHKSh"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

    submitted by /u/lkm56
    [link] [comments]

    Handrails for concrete steps

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I'm back home for the stay at home order and realized my elderly father has been having trouble going up the backdoor steps. Does anyone have recommendations for a handrail or grip bar for a 2 concrete outdoor step? Also, would it be possible for me to do it myself (not much experience but I'm trying to become handy)? I'm trying not to let anyone come to the house since my parents are old. I looked at Home Depot and Amazon but I wasnt sure which would be best for the house. Thanks in advanced!!

    submitted by /u/ahhdvice
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for ceiling transition to hide crack

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:22 PM PDT

    I'm removing the popcorn from my ceiling and and then adding crown molding. However in a few places, the drywall is cracked due to the house shifting. There's no real way to fix this except for covering it up, redoing the entire ceiling/structure, or using a flexible material that I'll probably have to replace reguarly and will still probably be noticeable. I've decided I want to cover it up. These cracks were there before removing the popcorn, just not as prominent.

    I have a foyer that leads directly into a vaulted ceiling living room (faux vaulted not actual roof). The transition from the flat foyer to the slanted living room has cracked and my attempts to fix it all ended up failing after a couples days to a week with the changing weather. It also cracks along the very tip of the vaulted cieling but I'm planning on putting a faux beam to hide that. I looking for ideas to hide the crack on the doorway as the crack is not directly in the center of the transition

    Thanks

    pics

    https://imgur.com/a/rZcPDGd

    submitted by /u/Daswooshie46
    [link] [comments]

    Any experience with open showers?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:23 AM PDT

    Hello! My boyfriend and I just bought a house in Virginia and are going to remodel the master bathroom as the current layout is very awkward.

    here is a picture of our current bathroom design with the new design I made below that

    Hopefully you can tell which is which lol. I do not have a good picture of our current bathroom because we move in 2 weeks. I was wondering if any of you had experienced an open shower? I want a glass barrier half the length of the room to separate the shower and tub area from the rest of the bathroom but that is it. Could this lead to water damage ?

    I really wanted a separate shower and bathtub but could compromise. Our bathroom is long but skinny (almost 12 ft x 5.5 feet).

    submitted by /u/oliviared52
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment