• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 26, 2020

    Home Improvement: [CONTEST] The "1,000,000 Subscribers" date guessing game

    Home Improvement: [CONTEST] The "1,000,000 Subscribers" date guessing game


    [CONTEST] The "1,000,000 Subscribers" date guessing game

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 07:09 PM PST

    So, here's the deal – we are close to 1 million subscribers and want to mark this with some event that we'll forget about by the summer.

    PREDICT the day we will reach this milestone!

    We have about 886,000 subs at the time of this posting. I pulled our subscriber numbers from the past few weeks from which to run your AI-enhanced machine learning prediction models. Good luck!

     

    RULES:
    1. Only one entry per redditor
    2. User must have posted or commented at least once in /r/homeimprovement before the datestamp on this post.
    3. Entries will be open until Thursday, February 6 at about noon Central Time (-6 GMT).
    4. Any edited posts will be removed. Your first guess is your only guess.

     

    PRIZES:
    1. A futuristic, 3d printed trophy printed by our badass mod, /u/0110010001100010. Click here for a picture.
    2. No reddit coins, bronze, or platinum of any kind.
    3. A $150 gift card to Home Depot
    4. Some sweet, sweet karma.

     

    The gift card will be from Amazon, Home Depot, Lowe's, or a some reasonable alternative – we don't want to exclude our international redditors either. Should multiple people select that date, a random drawing will be held. Donations were made on behalf of the mods to provide the prizes. If anyone wants to contribute to a larger prize pool, please PM the mods!

     

    We'll try and keep the post stickied until we hit the mark. Thank you all for helping make this such a great place for us to respectfully love (or hate) our homes.

    Sincerely, /u/dapeche
    .

    submitted by /u/dapeche
    [link] [comments]

    Will you please stay the hell home....?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 06:01 AM PDT

    The home improvement store I manage has reduced its hours due to many of the staff getting sick. We only have one can of Lysol for the entire store to use, and the hand sanitizing station at the front of the store is empty.

    Our state in on "stay-at-home" orders, but that hasn't stopped people from bringing all six of their kids and their grandparents to our store to get the ever-essential mulch, paint, or whatever the fuck they need to do projects while they are home from work for a week. We are busier than we have ever been at this time of year.

    Seriously, people. Just stay the fuck home. Your projects can wait. Unless your water heater has bit the dust, or your bathroom is flooded, you do not need to go to the goddam hardware store.

    I can't even disinfect the fucking counters for christsakes. Stop coughing on me and go to fucking bed.

    Rant over. Sorry.

    submitted by /u/Smitetheworldawake
    [link] [comments]

    River rocks and stained timber

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 05:19 PM PDT

    I had the day off and it was beautiful so I decided to put river rocks in the area that you wrote it a lot and add a piece of timber I stained into the flower bed. https://imgur.com/gallery/rVkITt9

    submitted by /u/krssonee
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else get stuck in an endless cycle of researching without doing?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    So in this instance I'm talking about constructing a Fence for my backyard, as there's usually not really a code you need to follow, just experiences from others.

    This is a project I've been planning for a while, and have spend so many hours watching videos, researching materials and reading websites that the time I've invested before even putting a shovel in the ground that it would have made sense to make a 10 minute phone call and have it done for me.

    I'll come to some agreement with myself on the method I'm going to use, and I'll see 1 comment on a video, or one Reddit or forum post that contradicts everything I've seen, and I basically start over.

    A lot of times, the comments are "technically" better, but at a higher cost. Half the post height in the ground, a 4x4 (or 5x5, or 6x6!) In every hollow vinyl post, concrete or crushed stone for the base, aluminum I-beam in every post.

    I of course want the finished product to look good and last long, but if i use every "upgrade" I see, I would by far double my original cost. And I don't blame the person offering the suggestion. A deeper post would be better, but how much better? Am I doomed for failure by following the manufacturers recommendations, or do I just have to learn to filter out the people who are good at spending other people's money?

    Just sharing some frustration, but if anyone has any tips on fence building, I would like to hear it.

    submitted by /u/Fullthrobble
    [link] [comments]

    Water in crawlspace during inspection

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right place for this. We are in the process of buying a house and just got the home inspection done last week. It was raining during the inspection.

    Part of Report: https://i.postimg.cc/4xjTNdHf/Screen-Shot-2020-03-26-at-2-37-15-PM.png

    The crawlspace has a concrete floor. Inspector suspects the seepage is due to a downspout that is not directed away from the home.

    This is the downspout in question: https://i.postimg.cc/25mFRdjn/file.png

    The inspector said there were no visible cracks or anything. There was however a small puddle in that corner. Seller agreed to fix the downspouts. I am concerned that it doesn't fix the underlying issue that got the water inside in the first place. There is a sump pump, but I am not sure that it was running (I have never owned a home before and have no idea how these pumps work). Inspector seems to be not too concerned about it if the downspout is directed away from the house.

    Is there anything else we can do here? Is this a huge concern?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cashmoneyyolo
    [link] [comments]

    Anti-Bird Window Treatment

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    I live in a kind of wooded area and constantly have birds running into my windows. Sometimes hard enough where I turn and see little poofs of feathers go flying. Sometimes they just keep hitting the window over and over. I was wondering if anyone has heard or know of a treatment/film you can put on your windows that detracts birds. I've heard of the old CD trick but that looks absolutely tacky and I can't remember the last time I had a CD.

    Help! We need to save the birds!

    submitted by /u/Philldobaggins
    [link] [comments]

    Knob and Tube (KT) wiring

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    Knob and tube wiring was in our late 1940's home. We were required to have an certified electrician complete an electrical inspection and provide an opinion of a low, medium, high, or extreme risk factor for fire and life safeties on our property. without a reference, we relied on the internet and called around local (BC lower mainland) electricians to request quotes for the inspection. we then settled for a company that does electrical inspections along with the work required. that was a big mistake. once they had identified the K&T wiring, they proceeded with some scare tactics and soon provided the inspection report, at which point slapped us with a proposal of work to rewire our home. this rewire would cost 11k not including the repair of the damage they make during the process. to my understanding it would be cutting many holes in the walls to feed the new wiring through. I did some further research on the issue and had read articles regarding GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) receptacles as an alternative to rewiring. with limited information and research, I negotiated with the electrician if installing GFCI receptacles where K&T receptacles were located will mitigate the requirement to rewire. It would have been a $500 vs $11,000 job, but to my surprise his answer was no and that it would not meet the electrical code and insisted that the only option was a rewire.

    After much debate, I decided to do another electrical inspection for a second opinion. this time I searched for a company that only did inspections and not the work, providing the most non-bias report. They provided me a report to install GFCI receptacles. I was right! I then under some recommendations, hired an electrician to complete the job with the list of deficiencies provided in the report.

    Quoting the CEC Canadian electrical code 2018, under rule 26-702(2), existing outlets where a bonding means does not exist in the outlet box, grounding-type receptacles shall be permitted to be installed, provided that each receptacle is protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the class A Type. under appendix B of the rule above, you are able to install GFCI circuit breakers in your electrical panel as well. https://imgur.com/JkhWDlb

    lesson learned: 1) do research. 2) Use an electrical company that ONLY does electrical inspections and doesn't also do the work, this eliminates bias intention and inspection.

    submitted by /u/Exsporer
    [link] [comments]

    Plumber putty

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 03:48 PM PDT

    Easy way to get rid of extra without ruining the seal?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/K1SVLhA

    submitted by /u/gregory3515
    [link] [comments]

    Keeping the Neighbor’s Dog Out of My Yard

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    My neighbor's dog has consistently been pooping on my side of the lawn, and I've spoke to them multiple times about it but it hasn't stopped. So my question is:

    How can I stop the dog from pooping on my lawn without hurting it (I know it not the dog's fault b/c it doesn't know any better).

    I've been thinking of installing one of those animal repellant speaker things from Amazon, but they really have mixed reviews.

    submitted by /u/MoSTLCardinals
    [link] [comments]

    Question about raising the floor of an old porch flush with the rest of the house.

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 05:15 PM PDT

    I'm working on renovating a room in my 1940s-era house that used to be an open porch, but was enclosed at some point. The floor was originally a step down from the rest of the house, and I would like to raise it to be flush with the rest of the house. The bottom plate of the walls are resting on the concrete that I'm guessing was the original porch floor. Pic of the bottom of the wall

    My plan is to run joists across the floor, leveled such that the sheathing I put on top will be flush with the subfloor of the rest of the house. Doing that should be no problem. However, because I'm building up the floor, there will be a void between the wall studs and the newly raised floor (because the subfloor will end at the edge of the wall studs. (Same location with joists across showing the voids that will be created).

    Can I just air seal, slide insulation down in there, and put up drywall? I don't think having that void will cause problems in the future when finishing the room (drywall and baseboards, assuming I hit the studs!).

    Thanks for your help r/HomeImprovement!

    submitted by /u/Snoringdoggies
    [link] [comments]

    EPA Releases List Of Products / Cleaners That Kill The COVID19 Virus

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    The EPA has released a list of products that will kill the COVID-19 SARS-CoV-2 Virus

    You should check this list and see if the products you are using are on the list.

    Just because the product is not on the list does not mean that it won't kill the virus because it may not have been tested. However it is best to stick to the list of products they suggest if you can.

    VERY IMPORTANT

    When using these products you must adhere to the CONTACT TIME.. this is the time that the product you are using must remain on the surface you are treating and that means that you must keep that surface moist for a MINIMUM of that time.

    For instance if a product has a contact time of 10 seconds then that surface that you are cleaning must be kept wet with the product for a minimum of 10 seconds and longer would be better.

    Homemade products are really not suggested and I will not address their use here except to say if you have the need to use a homemade hand sanitizer then only do so by following the directions that you obtain directly from the EPA, CDC or another fully authorized and trusted source. Do not follow the directions you get from some morning TV show, random website or your friends that couldn't even pass 8 grade science.

    I personally have 6 years of Chemistry and many additional years working in industry where the correct use of protective gear means saving your life and I only follow directions provided by reviewed known good sources. This is especially important when dealing with things that you can't even see whether that be gasses, vapor or virus.

    https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2

    submitted by /u/ZippyTheChicken
    [link] [comments]

    Flushing Tankless Water Heater

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    Do I turn off all of these knobs and then hook up my hoses? I see three handles but am not sure of the smaller circular ones.

    Do people recommend running just regular vinegar or is there something else? Do I have to turn off water to the entire house?

    Pics of tankless

    submitted by /u/Free_Kashmir
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling Fan Issues

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:24 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    My wife and I just bought our first house. It has several projects that will need fixing, but one specific one is the Harbor Breeze brand living room ceiling fan. We have never seen it work at all. When I flip the wall switch for the fan, I hear one click inside the motor as if it is getting power and then nothing. The click sounds kind of like a relay. Pulling the pull chain does nothing, and switching the direction switch does nothing. No noise coming from the motor past that first click. The blades are able to turn when I manually spin them, so it's not bound in any way. I can post pictures of the fan tomorrow when I am there if needed.

    Is there any hope for this fan, or is it time to get a new one?

    submitted by /u/theatrepyro2112
    [link] [comments]

    Please help

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:23 PM PDT

    Please take a look at a pic of my house... does the coloring look "off" to you? If so, how do I fix it? I can't tell if I don't like it or I'm just not used to it yet

    https://postimg.cc/F7S1JQWq

    submitted by /u/superslimetime
    [link] [comments]

    Patio project question

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    Hi, from Ohio here. Last year, someone gave me about 290 sq ft of travertine tile, foam underlayment, and as much sand as I could scoop up for FREE. Only one year old! They didn't like it, so they wanted something different. Thank you Craigslist.

    I would like to start my project, but I am missing a key ingredient. Paver edging. Now, the edge retention the guy used was a thick plastic material, but I have been looking online and have found metal and also thinner plastic. I know my budget won't allow the really good stuff, but I am lost in finding a middle of the road option that seems (to me) like it would hold back travertine tile. It's about 3/4"-1" thick. I should have measured before posting. I'd hate to get something too cheap and end up having to replace it later on.

    I have the money for once, so would like to get this project out of the way. I will gladly take any advice on this type of project as well. As long as my back and my wallet hold up, I think it will be worth it. Oh, if it costs the same to ship it free (ex. Prime), I am all about delivery as I have vehicle (among other lol) issues.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/ezlikesunmorn78
    [link] [comments]

    How thick can self-leveling concrete be?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    I read on the package it can go from 1.5" to feather edge. Does that mean at one pour? Can I let it dry and then add another 1.5" on top?? Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/buzzardgut
    [link] [comments]

    New construction home, poor concrete job remedies...

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 04:44 PM PDT

    Moved into our new home in December and unfortunately seems as though our contractor rushed the concrete work which has resulted in white stains on the walkway (don't think it's Efflorescence, just from the tarp getting covered in rain water).

    As far as the concrete near our house it has small white cracks along the border.

    Would some sort of acid cleaner and sealant improve the look? I know the contractor won't redo the job, but I'm hoping to pressure them to do something as every other house in the neighborhood has a clean finish.

    Photos: http://imgur.com/gallery/46qu3fF

    submitted by /u/cmatthews11
    [link] [comments]

    Sound proof (somewhat) shared garage?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 02:00 PM PDT

    I live in a duplex with a shared garage and recently realized that the neighbors can hear everything going on in our kitchen/living room and we can hear everything going on in there's. I don't know if it's because they leave their door open (from inside house to the garage) or what, but it's very lame and disconcerting.

    Does anyone have any tips, like really easy tips, on how to somewhat dampen the noise exiting our house through the door leading to our garage?

    I don't feel any photos are necessary here..

    Thanks a lot.

    submitted by /u/Empty_Statistician
    [link] [comments]

    Septic tank riser

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 04:02 PM PDT

    Do tuff tite 12x12 risers just stack on top of one another? I want to level out my yard and would need to raise my clean out . If I take the screw on lid off would the riser just sit on to then I can backfill around it to hold it down. I dont see where they fasten together anyway. Thanks

    submitted by /u/j_sword67
    [link] [comments]

    Can you cut / polish granite and install a bigger sink?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    Hi there

    Can you cut / polish granite and install a bigger sink?

    I have heard some say its possible and others say its impossible.

    If I have it done I want it done right. And I do not want to use a dropin sink.

    I really hate the sink that I have and I would love to put a zero radius sink with one basin.

    The problem is I have a very large island with a giant piece of granite.

    submitted by /u/ScubaManSergio
    [link] [comments]

    Refinishing Steel-cased Window in Bathroom

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    Trying to refinish a rental bathroom and came upon the bathroom's windowsill. Window is in the bathroom itself. House is one that was built in a cookie-cutter type neighborhood if that helps speak to the original quality. Sanded it down, tried putting more joint compound along it to even it out. Put Zinnser primer atop, and it flaked when it dried. Sanded off the primer, then flakes started coming off, exposing steel. Starting to lose my mind here-any help on how to fix this for the long term would be greatly appreciated! Photo here

    submitted by /u/Novembergirl83
    [link] [comments]

    House Siding

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    House Siding

    New to home improvement and I really dont know much at all about houses in general. So the last person to own this house had like styrofoam under the siding blocking off the bottom (you can see it on the right hand side). My question is what would be the proper finish for this part of the house to cover that cinder block or whatever stone is down there? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Silentprophet22
    [link] [comments]

    Water hammer issue

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    Hey all. So we recently had our indirect water heater replaced, and had an expansion tank added on as well. We always had slight water hammer issue from kitchen sink, dishwasher, and washing machine, but it is worse since the water heater install. Not sure if one thing has to do with the other. The dishwasher, kitchen sink, and washing machine are all on the same hot water line. They all bang. So I bought 2 arrestors. One for the dishwasher and one for the washing machine. Neither arrestors seem to help. I went in the basement. Made sure that hot water line was secure, and it was. The most "bang"/vibration seems to be coming from where the new plumbing was done near the newly installed water heater. Any advice would be appreciated. I hope I am explaining my situation clear enough. Thanks all.

    submitted by /u/JopagocksNY
    [link] [comments]

    Split Unit Help

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    I have a Fujitsu Halycon split unit, that was installed in 2013, but this past summer i've noticed that the cold air wasn't that cold. I had the person who installed it come check it out and he told me that one of the units is most likely leaking gas (there was oil on the coils). By time i've noticed this problem with my split unit the warranty just ran out. Now i'm in between getting a whole new unit all together or replacing the split unit that's causing the leak. I believe the leak is coming from my bedroom unit, is it too big of a gamble to just replace the bed room unit? Or should i just invest in an entire new unit?

    Is it easy for an expert to find the leak and fix it?

    I believe i have a 36,000 btu, and according to the person who installed it, he was saying that system uses copper that expands and contracts greatly during the winter and summer months which may be the cause of the leak.

    submitted by /u/xandro0
    [link] [comments]

    Mounting a 65 inch LED TV

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    Hey Reno-Rangers,

    So am about to embark on a project to mount a 65 inch LED TV on my wall. The TV is fairly light, think the mount I bought weighs the same as the TV. I have located a wall stud that is correctly placed in reference to the mounting location but unfortunately the other wall stud is too far. The wall is drywall backed with a concrete wall as its the dividing wall between 2 units.

    What can I do to to ensure that the screws going into the non-stud part of the wall stay secure? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/1973mojo1973
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment