• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 28, 2020

    Home Improvement: VERY slow shower drain. After 2 trips to the hardware store, 3 hours of work, quite a bit of Drano, and a hair snake, here’s what I learned.

    Home Improvement: VERY slow shower drain. After 2 trips to the hardware store, 3 hours of work, quite a bit of Drano, and a hair snake, here’s what I learned.


    VERY slow shower drain. After 2 trips to the hardware store, 3 hours of work, quite a bit of Drano, and a hair snake, here’s what I learned.

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 05:17 PM PDT

    Make sure the drain stopper switch is down.

    submitted by /u/SnapchatsWhilePoopin
    [link] [comments]

    We bought a house! ... oh S%^# we bought a house...

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    TL/DR : we bought a house and don't even know where to start with maintenance and small projects.

    So my fiancee and I just bought our first home. we are super excited, our lease overlaps by a 2 months so we're slowly moving stuff over and the initial excitement is fading into the... wait do i need to replace that outlet? I can probably do that... right? the lights dim when we vacuum... is that a problem? can we paint over this wallpaper? what the heck even is wallpaper?

    We got an inspection and everything came back just fine its not a fixer upper by any means it is older though (1960s). but still we're at that spot where we know there are hundreds of little projects ahead of us and we don't even know what they are yet.

    what resources / books / tutorials would you recommend to a young couple that doesn't know what they don't know but knows we don't know it?

    submitted by /u/nickyurick
    [link] [comments]

    200 year-old house is riddled with critters and especially mice. How do I reduce this? Cheaply.

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 07:39 AM PDT

    I'm only 24 and my house was given to me by my grandparents and now I understand why. The house is falling apart faster than I can keep up with it. However, the mice are the real problem. It is at the point that they aren't even scared of me and I see them constantly.

    My house is sinking in so all the doors tend to be easy for mice to slide under. I've tried traps and the like but nothing seems to work. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/reidtheriddles
    [link] [comments]

    Who still likes carpeting over laminate or hardwood flooring?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    We just moved into a house with laminate floors throughout, and I miss carpet. Sure there are downsides to carpet, but it's so much softer and cozier on the feet.

    What side are you on?

    submitted by /u/nerclesmerth
    [link] [comments]

    Can you help me find a post (I believe in this sub)? Someone’s parents were building their dream/retirement home and the idea was, if there was an unlimited budget, what are bells and whistles and “no to have in 20 years” things that people don’t think about including during the build?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:02 AM PDT

    There were lots of great replies and ideas from electricians, plumbers, interiors designers, IIRC. Lots of suggestions based on the idea that you would never renovate to include some of this stuff, but doing it during the initial build would be the best way.

    Edit: "nice* to have in 20 years"

    submitted by /u/30D1CE
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: Walnuts can fix surface scratches on wood

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    So I don't know if this is known knowledge and I am late to the party or not but I'm celebrating!!!

    We installed engineered bamboo and have a few minor surface scratches I dreaded looking at everyday and read on some website walnuts (the nut itself, not the shell) rubbed on a scratch works. I had some walnuts on hand and figured it wouldn't hurt and it freaking worked magic! It got rid of some of them completely but at least made the rest not even noticeable. I am so happy right now and figured y'all may be able to use this too!

    submitted by /u/_packfan
    [link] [comments]

    Help! House trim

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    I need to replace some trim around the house near gutters. It looks like it's some kind of plywood type stuff but I'm not sure what I should be using. Might sound dumb just want to only do it once! Thanks!

    http://imgur.com/gallery/aEFNfZC

    submitted by /u/Wich121
    [link] [comments]

    Laminate expansion gap gone wrong

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    I'm installing laminate floors upstairs and I have a problem with my gaps. Originally I had about 1/2 inch all around, which was the smaller I could get while still being able to fix the bar between the wall and plants to lock the laminate.

    Well apparently at some point my laminate shifted...a lot. I now have pretty much no gap on one side and inch gaps on the other side. Can I just use wood glue to glue piece of laminate on the side with too big of gaps, or is there some way to shift the laminate back over and make it even again?

    Edit: I should add that I've only done half my floor so far.

    submitted by /u/unhappy_dedication
    [link] [comments]

    Pigeon Problem

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    Hello reddit,

    We have been having pigeons this spring start a nest in-between our roof and the rooftop decking. They get in through the water spout. What can we do to block this off or prevent them from coming in? I currently have tinfoil strips taped from above that is deterring them but it is not a permanent solution.

    I was thinking some kind of chicken wire but will that be strong enough and last a while? Also this is on the 4th story without super easy access (no large ladders) so I might need to lower is down from above without fastening it.

    submitted by /u/XstellarX
    [link] [comments]

    Any help is appreciated

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    What are my options to remove this bannister and replace the floor? I don’t have any extra of the same wood flooring and I’m fairly sure it’s not in stock anymore.

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 06:53 AM PDT

    bannister removal

    I was thinking of just putting a wide threshold all the way across. Not sure if that's too much.

    submitted by /u/Boylan96
    [link] [comments]

    Tape on rear of IKEA bookcase left a mark on wall

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    Tape on rear of IKEA bookcase left a mark on wall, in the shape of the tape, so 2" wide by 6' tall. This is an old IKEA bookcase which has a particle board back. Up the center of the back is a strip of tape which over time left a gray mark on the wall. The bookcase was not touching the wall. Not sure how this happened, and it happened with only 1 of the 3 identical bookcases.

    On a similar note, 2 walls clocks in my house have a left a similar gray mark on the wall https://imgur.com/a/2LlifeB, predominantly around the perimeter of the clock and especially where the battery compartment is. I've repainted the room the bookcases are in and am uncertain what I should do with the bookcase - duct tape over it? Put some craft paper over it - if so how would I adhere it? Don't know how to proceed since I don't know how these marks happen. I've always used quality paint - namely Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/1095966
    [link] [comments]

    Cleaning textured epoxy garage floor?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 09:22 PM PDT

    Put in a textured floor last summer, and now we're coming out of our first winter where two vehicles were regularly parked in there

    I tried a steam mop and regular spray mop, but the textured flakes tore both cleaning pads up.

    I have an electric pressure washer but would prefer not to use it if avoidable

    submitted by /u/FitButFluffy
    [link] [comments]

    How can I run additional wire through some existing underground conduit which already has wire running through it?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    My house has a detached garage. The garage has it's own 60AM panel that is fed from the main panel in the house. That line as well as some romex for some lights on the garage which can be controlled from inside the house are run through some plastic conduit under ground.

    Unfortunately there is no string run through the conduit for me to pull more through. I want to run some ethernet out there for the studio built above the garage as well as for a new security camera because the wifi out there isn't the best.

    I tried using a shop vac duct taped to the end of the conduit to as best a seal as I could and feeding through string with some plastic tied to the end of it (like a conduit mouse/cylinder), but the suction just wasn't working. I don't know if it's because I couldn't get a good enough seal from the vac or if it just cannot pull the line/plastic through with other wires in there.

    Does anyone have any ideas? Or am I gonna have to run more conduit if I want to accomplish this.

    submitted by /u/JimmysRevenge
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a solution to cover window

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:57 AM PDT

    The maintenance office tells me there's nothing they can do since it's a "structural issue". All I want is to cover the portion of window that is causing a privacy issue (other high rises around can look in and see me in bed).

    Here's the window in question.

    It's very tall, so whatever I do, I'll have to source a ladder. The diagonal material is sheetrock.

    Any ideas to make this a nice little quarantine project? Thanks y'all!

    submitted by /u/dirdymillionth
    [link] [comments]

    Sherwin Williams Paint on sale

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    30% off curbside pickups. Gives you something to do if stuck at home.

    submitted by /u/GardnerCacti
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling fan motor making this noise. Is it normal?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    Like the title says. Please watch the video and listen for the motor noise as I turn it on. Is the fan motor trying to pull more power? Is that normal?

    Thank you for reading!

    fan video

    submitted by /u/rajpardi
    [link] [comments]

    New Shower Faucet Problems

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    I'll preface this by saying I've already scoured this sub for similar posts, but nothing really checked the boxes for my problem.

    I just finished my bathroom remodel, and I took my first real shower tonight. Felt great, I'm super clean thanks for asking. But when I was done, the head was dripping a stream of water for a long time. I tried fiddling with the head selector (switch between the wand and the head) and that didn't do anything. The temperature valve was all the way down and the volume valve was all the way off. It wasn't leaking before the shower. Eventually after turning it on and off a few times, playing with the selector (doing I guess an accidental pagan dance alongside ley lines) the dripping subsided to a slow droplet and eventually petering off to nothing.

    The valve is a Delta R10000, with the Linden trim kit. No tub spout. The plumber who installed it tightened the check valve screws all the way closed, so I loosened those in the trim kit install and got the hot and cold flow rate where I wanted them. I also removed the little blue restrictor cap in the shower head because the faucet has a flow control, which didn't function with the restrictor cap.

    So is this a problem? The dripping does eventually stop, it just doesn't look like it when I turn the shower off. Should I tighten the check valve screws? Do I have to replace the brand new cartridge?

    submitted by /u/Raed-wulf
    [link] [comments]

    Patio Upkeep

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    I put in a paver patio last spring. Should I add more polymeric sand this year? I wasn't sure if you need to add a little each year, or at least the first few years. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SANTOS-E-HALPER
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Picture window stuck closed.

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    I have searched and tried everything online which is mostly trying to jimmy the latches. The crank turns and you can feel the resistance on one of the latches.

    https://imgur.com/a/uTQsZGj

    submitted by /u/Romk201
    [link] [comments]

    Carpenter Bees

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 05:38 PM PDT

    Anyone have any humane ways to get rid of them? They are drilling holes all over my porch. I've seen those little houses that trap them but I kind of don't want to do that (unless it's the best method.) Has anyone ever use essential oils or anything else to drive them out in time to seal the holes and stain the porch? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/kattiq
    [link] [comments]

    Cost for interlocking brick under deck?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/KzkhSrL

    Just looking for a rough cost estimate for interlocking brick here under my deck for a hot tub pad 17.5' x 11' . Canadian Dollars . Thanks!

    submitted by /u/LifesOptimist
    [link] [comments]

    Removing asphalt from garage floor?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 08:44 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to decide whether to take up a new project with my garage floor. I'm in New England, and with all the shelter-in-place orders, have been itching to do something other than try to work remotely by staring at my computer screen all day.

    It looks like the previous owners (at some point in the last 70 years) poured some asphalt to level the garage floor in a fairly big area (1/4 of the whole garage almost). Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/UNE3HrF

    I am hoping to remove that, clean up the concrete underneath with some oil eating bacteria over the next month or so, and then try to patch it up to fix the cracks, level and seal the whole floor.

    I have a couple of questions about this:

    1) What would be the best way to remove the asphalt? How hard would it be?

    2) Can I get away with just the bacteria - i.e. without grinding or acid-etching the concrete for whatever oils are left by the asphalt?

    3) Recommendations for patching/leveling products?

    4) Should I just but some garage tiles and call it a day?

    I appreciate any help/insight you can give. I'm fairly handy, but haven't worked with asphalt removal before.

    submitted by /u/ancalaima
    [link] [comments]

    New foundation - some joists floating above mud sill?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 02:41 PM PDT

    Just finalizing any issues with my new foundation before I make the final payment to contractor. Looks good except in a few places the ends of the floor joists are floating maybe a quarter inch above the new mud sill (hard to tell in photo but that joist is not contacting the sill). The house is from 1908 so obviously nothing is perfectly level but I can see where some of the joists would have been floating above the new girders they shimmed it (see first photo)

    What is the fix for the floating joists, and should I demand it? Can/should they shim these areas? Or will those joists just settle and at some point make contact? Although that doesn't seem ideal...Floating floor joists

    submitted by /u/917caitlin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment