• Breaking News

    Monday, March 23, 2020

    Home Improvement: My living room, all bespoke, all me!

    Home Improvement: My living room, all bespoke, all me!


    My living room, all bespoke, all me!

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 01:52 PM PDT

    There's usually a point in my DIY projects that I feel over my head

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 06:11 AM PDT

    Anyone else feel like before starting a DIY project or at some point in the middle of it, you'd love to get a professionals advice?

    I always end up in this situation but they are resistant to teach me because they obviously would rather I hire them.

    Just wondering if I'm alone in that

    submitted by /u/Kitchen_Particular
    [link] [comments]

    Update on my attempt to remove the granite from behind my stove. I uh... Went a different route

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    Original post.

    After some thought, I took some more measurements and determined that even if I managed to remove the piece, the oven would still stick out about 1/4inch too far and I still would not be able to open the blocked drawer.

    So, I put the drawer on an angle. It's not perfect, but it works. And most importantly, the Wife is happy :)

    submitted by /u/BadGuyLoki
    [link] [comments]

    Updated staircase

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! Like many of you I've been home with my family and taking the time to get to things I wouldn't have time for otherwise. I started this project in February and this week was able to complete it.

    This is the main staircase in my home. I do have a back staircase that goes from the kitchen to a bedroom, but I never took before photos of it, and need to repaint the wall there anyway so there's not much to show you.

    We removed the end caps (is that what they're called?) of each tread and removed each spindle in order to get to work. We didn't have it in our budget to replace the treads and risers completely so decided to paint instead. There are probably 5 or 6 layers of paint and many cracks and dents from the 120 years this staircase has been around, and we did our best to fix the worst gaps and holes before painting.

    For those who are curious, this is low lustre Behr porch and floor paint in "Off Broadway". One coat appears to be maroon coloured and this deep brown (almost black) is the result of three coats.

    Also wanted to add that I've had some feedback about the crack visible between the risers and the wall/trim...I was not happy with it but also sooo tired of working by the time it was obvious how large the cracks were. I may fix them if I have time over the next few weeks (working from home now that March break is over!). In any case I appreciate any feedback if you've done a similar project before.

    Have a look at the before and after:

    https://imgur.com/a/79VLFSY

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/Rockabellabaker
    [link] [comments]

    Adding a four seasons room, cost and thoughts

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    I live in the Chicago suburbs and I'm thinking about adding a four seasons room to the home. We can definitely use the space, but the cost is intimidating. It would be about a 10x10 room, and right now it's a brick-layed patio.

    I'm hoping for general advice when looking to do this, experience others have had, potential cost and if upgrades are worth it. One concern is having it be warm in the winter as we'd definitely want to use the space year round.

    I appreciate any thoughts!

    submitted by /u/quizzworth
    [link] [comments]

    I think my nest thermostat fried my furnace

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 05:56 PM PDT

    Hey folks,

    I tried installing a nest thermostat today, replacing my old thermostat. I contacted their customer service who sent me a wiring diagram, which I followed. (Pics at the end of the post)

    There's a black wire that wasn't connected to my the old thermostat that I'm confident is a common wire after looking it up and confirming with a few handy friends. I also looked at my furnace wiring and there's a black wire hooked up to the common port on its wiring panel. I'm no expert on this stuff, but was reading on the google and found that I might have really messed up my furnace by wiring it incorrectly (the way nest told me to in the diagram). I feel like this thing, that should've taken 20 minutes max, took my partner and I literally hours to trouble shoot (we tried shutting power off at multiple points of the furnace, replacing the furnace fuse, resetting, we even put the old thermostat back on in the exact same configuration and the furnace is totally dead).

    Did nest screw me over here? We literally just replaced our furnace, it's brand new. I live in Canada and it's cold. Help.

    https://imgur.com/a/ptDs3hw

    submitted by /u/spinnymcspinspin
    [link] [comments]

    How much weight can an attic support?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    I'm planning on finishing my attic with my brother and some concerns have been raised by my father as to how much weight my attic can support. The house was built in 1917 but doesn't show any signs as to lacking stability. If there could be an issue should I change the amount weight I put on my attic or just not finish it.

    submitted by /u/dirtface00
    [link] [comments]

    I cleaned and lubricated all the hinges in my brand new house. Now, some of the doors automatically swing open and closed, where they didn't before.

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    There was metal dust in some of the hinges, as pictured HERE.

    I wiped it all off and scrubbed it out thinking "what the fuck is this shit?"

    I now realize that I believe it was to give the door some friction so it would stay at the position you leave it at. I now have many doors automatically closing most of the way.

    I used Plumbers Grease to lubricate the hinges. A few of them were squeaking, so I decided to do all hinges on all doors in my house.

    I'm wondering what this stuff is called so I can re-apply it to the problem doors.

    I googled more ways to solve the problem, and people were hitting the hinge pins with hammers and shit like that, I definitely don't want to do that.

    submitted by /u/Insaniaksin
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment maintenance crew is responding only to emergencies, and I have a large mouse/rat (possibly squirrel) above my drywall/hvac ducts. What can I do about this?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 04:10 AM PDT

    Our apartment is more like a 1br, single story townhome, first floor so I have 3 exterior walls. I don't have any access to above the apartment, and I'm pretty sure all the maintenance folks will do is refill the poison out behind the building. Any other tips?

    We hear it running around on the drywall over our bedroom and banging around over the ducts, woke us up several times through the night and it's still very active up there even with lights and noise on in the apartment now

    submitted by /u/yoooooosolo
    [link] [comments]

    Molding vs Moulding

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    I know this isn't what this subreddit is about, BUT I was hoping that this would be the best place to find people who know what they're talking about. I.e. people in r/grammar don't work at Home Depot.Obviously I know that "mould" is the not-american spelling of "mold", that's not what I'm asking.My dad swears that the decorative plane or curved strip used for ornamentation or finishing MUST BE SPELLED "moulding" in american-english and that the two spelling have different definitions, and has stated that ANYONE knowledgeable on the topic would say the two words are different.

    My main question that I would be grateful for as many people to give an opinion on is this:Would you consider moulding to be a separate AMERICAN word for the specific meaning for the decorative strips? Would you say, if someone said "molding" for THAT PURPOSE, it was a misspelling?

    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/molding does not differentiate the two, nor does any other online source, (edit: nor does that old dictionary I dug out), though Wikipedia says that the moulding spelling is used "within the industry", which is why I think he is of this opinion (though he doesn't see it as an opinion, as he's repeatedly telling me that he's right and every online source is incorrect).

    Thankyou so much for this, I know this is a bit offtopic from this sub. I'm hoping that by posting this question here, I would be reaching the a large amount of people who have sufficient real experience with "the industry"

    submitted by /u/MrAgentTHeKatGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Not a Fun Project, but a Necessary One

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    I came across a wet spot near my front door the other day after a big snow storm. I am located in Colorado. Essentially, I live in a newer town home which I don't believe has the best water runoff system. I have a cutout ledge on my north side that must be collecting water and directing it back into the house. I believed I have narrowed down the problem, as I have refinished the ledge with metal, all-weather caulk to make sure there aren't any leaks coming in from the main ledge. However, I believe it might be coming in from this little water collecting strip that is about 1" across and 20' long. It does not feed into a drain pipe or seem to have an outlet of any kind. I have marked that area with a green line in the photos. I am trying to figure out a few things:

    A) Is there a way to fill this collection area? An expanding foam? Would that even solve my problem if this is the source of the leak?

    B) Would it be better to cover this area with a long strip of metal to divert the water elsewhere?

    C) The gap is wide, but are there any patches/caulk that might be able to cover this long cap appropriately?

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/VUBjsI6

    Thank you for any help! I am stumped on this one!

    submitted by /u/mountainjay
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on water filter systems

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    Just moved into a new house in a Central Texas city, and I'm looking to replace my Pur pitcher filter. Did some research of my own but wanted to hear thoughts from this community.

    1) Under faucet or whole house filter? Other than quality of the filter, budget and ease of installation is highest priority for me. I care most about drinking water, so I'm leaning towards under faucet although that would mean my lovely pot filler won't go used.

    2) Brands you recommend? I was going to get the Whirlpool 3-stage but read a lot of recent reviews about leaks and my parents started experiencing that too after 5+ years of using it. Any other recommendations for brands that don't break the budget and can be easily replaced via Amazon/Home Depot, etc? Thoughts on Brondell?

    3) Reverse Osmosis? I'm leaning towards no bc it's wasteful but interested to hear people's thoughts.

    submitted by /u/hopelessatdesign
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to change this before it fails? (plumbing)

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 07:50 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/hO4pqps

    This currently does not leak. It's been in for over 24 hours now. But, I am worried about the Sharkbite push connection on the upper side of the hot water in, as I did not hear it click.

    I built the crappy looking loop, but I think the left leg was a little bit too long, as that one seated nicely, and it took some work to get the right leg in.

    Feel free to roast my soldering skills - why I went to Sharkbite - that and the time saved is pretty good.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/rdhamm
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor spigot repair

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 04:44 PM PDT

    Hey all! I have an outdoor-ish spigot (in my garage) that has a leak. I've removed the handle and valve and am unsure what to replace at this point. I would think I could remove the spigot and replace the whole thing but in the second picture it almost looks like it's built into the stone wall. I tried turning it counter clockwise with a bit of force and it didn't budge. Any thoughts on how you'd approach it.

    Album link https://imgur.com/a/j4hjVKz

    submitted by /u/cptNarnia
    [link] [comments]

    Manufacturer says put groove side toward wall, What?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/jeaPWNb

    Its Mohawk Luxury vinyl flooring from Menards. Advising me to put the groove side towards the wall. So the second and following rows I am suppose slide the groove side underneath the tongue? That seems backwards. Ive installed laminate previously, and I was advised to have the groove side towards the bottom, and when you add a new row, you push the tongue side upwards into the previous row.

    Any advice here? Even after playing with it, It feels more comfortable to do the opposite of the directions. Anyone install this type of Flooring from Mohawk before that can share some advice?

    submitted by /u/Realistic2
    [link] [comments]

    How to approach insulating 2x6 attic rafters

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    I'm trying to finish our attic with 2x6 rafters in the ceiling that need to be insulated. There's very little head room up there, so I'm not keen on losing anymore, and I'm not trying to spend a fortune. So far the only options I see are:

    -R15 bat insulation with baffles, or

    -Two layers of 2" polyurethane insulation boards, with a 1.5" gap

    Unfortunately neither of these options give me much R value, though (maybe around R20, and I'm shooting for 30) Does anyone have other suggestions, or input on which would be my better option?

    submitted by /u/jessikwa
    [link] [comments]

    Help! What are these clamps called? Trying to make a super-minimalistic and cheap bookshelf

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    I want to make a super-minimal bookshelf that is cheap. These clamps seem really ideal. But I have no idea what they're called.

    https://imgur.com/xJ95us0

    submitted by /u/Babooshka
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] - British Columbia

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    Does anyone know of any bathtub & shower suppliers in the Surrey or lower mainland area? I'm not interested in Home Depot, Rona, or any other "big box" department store. I am tall and can't seem to find a large enough tub to soak in. All I see are soaker tubs that aren't meant for an alcove. I need a deep soaker tub that I can put into an alcove, and then tile.

    submitted by /u/curiouscat2244
    [link] [comments]

    Help me replace boob lights during my lockdown/free time! (pics included)

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 07:44 AM PDT

    Where to buy strand light poles?!or how to make?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    My wife has been wanting me to add strand lights as an awning over our deck for years. Now that I have time in my hands I am trying to figure this out. I have the lights now I need poles to string these between! Any recommendations would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Techerson
    [link] [comments]

    How big of a project would it actually be to remove wood paneling from a living room?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    We bought the house a year ago off the original owners. They opted to paint their wood paneling but did a pretty miserable job of sealing the joints so I have about 6 floor to ceiling cracks and 6 more halfway up a wall. On top of that, anywhere they spackled, they went thick and did t sand so there are bumps and pock marks.

    Because of that, I'm debating just pulling back the paneling but I'm not sure what may lie ahead if I do. I'm not sure if glue was used but at the joints, nails were used at least and I can lightly pry up the panels at the joints to reveal the drywall.

    If I actually go through with removing the paneling, besides potential glue residue, having to redo my trim, and praying I don't damage a wall in the process of removal, what other things are there to be concerned about?

    Am I crazy for not just retaping the joints and smooth out all the awful spackle work?

    submitted by /u/DynastyGoldDigger
    [link] [comments]

    Sherwin Williams Primer vs Benjamin Moore Paint

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:08 PM PDT

    Painting the house. I found Sherwin Williams Cover-Max latex primer; tried it, liked it, used it in the room. I'd like to use a color from Ben Moore but I heard it could "react" - whatever that means and ruin the paint, something like in time, peeling off in 1-2 years. Could anybody with experience give some advice?

    EDIT: Another one: I tried Bin 123 in a room since everybody said it's a good primer. I thought I searched for latex on the website and got that - notice afterwards the acrylic in description. I found it really hard to work with I got very uneven coverage - thick where I brushed in the corners and thin in the middle and whatnot. Then I tried Sherwin Williams Cover Max - fully latex - and it was a breeze to work with. Why the difference between acrylic vs latex ( I did a quick search and all I read there's better resins in acrylics - so I guess better adhesion? it dried really fast, quite frustrating).

    Again I want to use with BM latex paint - not sure if BIN 123 would react in the long run.

    submitted by /u/andreifasola
    [link] [comments]

    Why won’t this god forsaken light fixture come on?!?!?!

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 02:54 PM PDT

    I'm about 6 hours into changing a light fixture, incredibly frustrated and not sure where to go from here.

    At one point I had everything done, the light worked but before closing everything up, I decided to change the switch out for a nicer one and now I can't get the light on.

    I'm certain the switch is wired correctly, I've tried the new switch and the old one. The light fixture is getting power but then it won't come on. I've give back through and reconnected all of the wires to make sure they were snug and secure.

    I don't even know what to look for at this point. The power is there, everything is wired up....it just won't turn on. Anything obvious I should look for? Troubleshooting advice?

    submitted by /u/drjlad
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment