• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 31, 2020

    Home Improvement: Do you think painting brick will be the Millennials covering up wood with carpet?

    Home Improvement: Do you think painting brick will be the Millennials covering up wood with carpet?


    Do you think painting brick will be the Millennials covering up wood with carpet?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 04:45 PM PDT

    I would love hire someone to paint my brick fireplace because it is pretty dark for my taste, but am afraid down the line it will not be in style, and that it will be tough to maintain. Whenever I think of think of brick, I see it as old world classy, and I am wondering if as decades go by, those new young people will see it that way as well.

    I have thought about German schmear as well, but I have seen some bad jobs done using that technique.

    submitted by /u/sk8erboi1985
    [link] [comments]

    Take care of your lungs. Dust inhalation increases your risk of serious illness due to COVID-19.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    Air pollution can significantly increase your risk of serious respiratory distress due to COVID-19. That goes for dust/particulate matter, not just smog. If you don't have a proper mask, now is not the time to demo drywall or engage in other dusty projects. You should never do that kind of work without a mask, but now it's an even bigger deal.

    submitted by /u/WiresSchmires
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best, most socially responsible way to go about home improvement projects right now?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 07:09 AM PDT

    I am in Michigan, and we are on currently under a "stay at home" order. We can do the necessities and all that, and are encouraged to use delivery services whenever possible for the necessities. I am doing my part, and I want to not only stick to what the law says, but I want to do my part to not spread anything. With that being said, I have a few projects around the house that I can get caught up on right now. Some of the things I don't have all the materials for. Should I have things delivered? Or should I wait to tackle these projects? There are no emergencies at the moment, so they can all wait if needed. I just think about the delivery drivers, and everyone who handles the stuff on the way. Am I putting them at unnecessary risk if I proceed? I'm just looking for a little advice as I take this very seriously and do not want to do anything that could potentially put someone else in harms way right now.

    submitted by /u/wittyrandomusername
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to add lighting to my living room without drilling

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    EDIT: No drilling was a poor choice of words. I can drill into the wall or ceiling. I do not want any major wiring jobs or anything. Simple drilling is ok.

    So, I just moved into a new house. The living room currently has no lighting. Because I am renting this house, I want to avoid any major electrical jobs or similar stuff to the house.

    I want to avoid using simple floor lamps. I prefer something more tasteful or attractive. I was looking at plug-in track light but was not sure if there was a better option. I am also not sure exactly where to place it when I get the lights. I was thinking above the couch and then above the TV in the entertainment area? Or should it be outside the entertainment area?

    Pics included. There is lots more I want to do to this room, so ignore the messiness and lack of any design at the moment.

    Thanks in advance!

    https://imgur.com/a/QJtzcsW

    submitted by /u/Big_Stick_Nick
    [link] [comments]

    Help deciding between two water heaters

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    Hi all -

    I am looking to purchase a water heater for an "open direct" radiant heat system I'm installing (Radiantec). I'd like to avoid the controversy about whether open-loop systems are good/safe/etc. as I've been down that road enough to know I am fine with it. (FYI: 1400 square foot house 1 bed/1bath, tight/well-insulated, Bend Oregon)

    I need to select the water heater. Parameters:

    - Tanked. (Because the hydronic system is quite small, I want to go with a tanked heater because I am concerned about short-cycling with a tankless system. Also, I don't really like the complexity/maintenance required with tankless. Last but not least, the head pressure added by tankless heaters is significant)

    -Must be power direct vent. I am venting horizontally, through a wall, so atmospheric vents are not an option. I am 99% sure I want to go with direct vent because I don't want to suck a bunch of cold air into the garage every time the heater turns on. The garage is a semi-habitable space (home office/gym/shop etc.).

    -Reliability. I could spend big bucks and go wild here (Polaris, Phoenix come to mind) but I don't want to go quite that far. That being said, this system will be under considerable 'strain' given the dual uses, and I do want a reasonably reliable brand/model.

    -BTU: The gentleman who helped me design my system said that the 74K BTU AO Smith Vertex tanked heater (50 gallon tank) was a bit oversized. I was fine with that, but then I discovered that model is not POWER direct vent, which apparently I require because of the horizontal termination. So, I believe that 40k - 80k is my target.

    I am considering:

    Rheem 48 gallon, 40k BTU This one makes me a bit nervous in that it is available at big box stores, which does sorta make me question its longevity. But I do think the size is more appropriate.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Power-Direct-Vent-48-Gal-Tall-6-Year-40-000-BTU-Natural-Gas-Tank-Water-Heater-ECORHE50/203856743

    AO Smith Vertex 50 gallon tank, 100k BTU. https://www.supplyhouse.com/AO-Smith-GDHE-50-NG-50-Gallon-100000-BTU-Vertex-100-Power-Direct-Vent-Residential-Gas-Water-Heater-Nat-Gas. This thing is $2,500 (ouch) and probably way oversized. But it is recommended/endorsed by my plumber, which means something.

    If anyone has any input on these two, or others I should consider, I'd love to hear it. Thank you. I can't believe how long it has taken me to make this decision...

    submitted by /u/doughpat
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Casement windows.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    I have 4 windows in my new house that are casement windows. They have a crank knob that is very very hard to turn and the windows only open 3 to 4 inches then stops. I believe the last owner never opened them in the whole 8 years he lived here.

    What can I do to fix this without breaking th know trying to open then?

    What grease/oil should I use that I can lubricate the outside parts?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Talmyth
    [link] [comments]

    Screen door help!

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    I live in an apartment and my balcony has no screen door. I would really love to add a screen door or something that would provide the same function so I could leave the door open to get more air flow. How easy would it be to just install a screen door myself? Is there any sort of screen I could just move in and out so I can get some more air into my apartment ? Thank you in advance!!

    submitted by /u/pibble22
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid annoying chirp from some detector like a battery chirp. Turns out not to be a smoke decector. Sounds like it's coming from my doorbell?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 03:02 AM PDT

    Seriously, checked all the detectors.

    Still coming from somewhere.

    Edit: Still haven't found it. What's weird is it only seems to happen at night when my heater is off. When I warm the place up, it stops. Grr.

    submitted by /u/splatterhead
    [link] [comments]

    F#$king Ants

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 09:17 AM PDT

    I just recently moved into this house and have been dealing with ants for a couple months now. There is no rhyme or reason where they come from, they seem to originate in the bathroom. That is where I see them the most, however it's like one or two every couple of days. Always in the bathroom, on the sink, floor, shower stall. It makes no sense and I'm going crazy trying to deal with it. I've placed terro baits all over but there is no trail to follow. I have let them roam instead of picking them off when I see them to try and get a path created, no luck. How should I attack this?

    submitted by /u/lickingtheassoflife
    [link] [comments]

    Outlets/switches in a backsplash

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:56 PM PDT

    I recently installed recessed subway tile in my kitchen and realized the faceplates of my outlets and switches won't sit flush against the tile. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

    submitted by /u/alud2340
    [link] [comments]

    Installing wall vent in yinyl siding

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    I am venting a 6" range hood outside an exterior wall through vinyl siding. Link below: https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-6-in-dia-Galvanized-Steel-R2-Exhaust-Intake-Dryer-Vent-Hood/4598558

    My plan is to use an azek block and 6" hole saw to make my own mounting plate, but how to I flash this? Do I cut the tyvek like I am flashing a window (only in a 6" circle where the vent passes through the exterior?), silicone around the cut out, vent and on the back if the block? Then put a drip cap on the top of my azek square, Followed by j channels on all 4 sides and then siding?

    I would use a mounting block w applied j channels but I cant find one for a vent w a 6" opening.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/stevec1129
    [link] [comments]

    How do I mount my TV?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    I'm attempting to safely and correctly mount my TV on my wall - the magnetic stud finder I used picked up screws in the wall (pictured at the link below) which I marked with painter's tape.

    For the life of me, I can't tell if this is plaster/lathe or drywall. I did drill two small holes on either side of where the middle stud is marked, and once I got through the Sheetrock or plaster, the drill hit something hard but went through. Is there an easy way to know for sure (without tearing holes in the wall?) I've tried the knock/sound tests and can't differentiate properly.

    Why are some screws closer together than others? Does this just mean they did it randomly or could there be a reason?

    Picture of Wall w/tape

    Signed, A DIY novice who's trying to socially distance and not invite others into my home.

    submitted by /u/WhomstAmongstUs
    [link] [comments]

    Switched a garage door opener outlet for ceiling fan. Question

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    So I'm turning my garage into a room, and I'm a bit hung up on switching out my ceiling fan from a normal outlet. Because my fan only needs one set of electrical and there were previously two sets, I capped off one and put it in a junction box in the attic. My fan isn't running when I'm flipping my switch. I either used a dead set of electrical (I can't remember if both wire sets were live), I capped the outlet off incorrectly, or I simply wired my fan incorrectly. What order of deduction should I start with? Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/Mayonnaiseandjelly
    [link] [comments]

    Where to buy sliding closet doors?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    As the title says, I need a some sliding closet doors. Previous owners decided they didn't like them and threw them out, so I need to buy 4 sets. And my county is on lockdown, not that these will fit into the car easily. Anyone have any luck purchasing them online, other than From the orange and blue stores? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jondes99
    [link] [comments]

    Spotted Water Damage in the Attic - Seeking Advice/Suggestions

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Long story short - Bought a townhouse six months ago. Inspector noticed some previous water stains in the attic to which he suggested finding/patching the culprit area or getting a new roof entirely since it was nearing the end of its life. We managed to get the sellers to use their insurance (due to previous hail storms) and get a new roof for us. Sweet. Got a new roof installed days before moving in. Well, me being the way that I am .. I periodically check up there to make sure things are looking alright. Unfortunately, I just recently noticed a few additional water damaged spots that I'm almost positive did not exist when we first moved in with the new roof installed (photos attached). My question is this. Who can I talk/hire to get an opinion on this moving forward? Should I hire another inspector, get a roofer's opinion, or contact the company who installed the roof? I'm sure there's a 5-10 year warranty of some sort on the new roof. Any suggestions/thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

    If the link does not work please let me know (photos below).

    https://imgur.com/a/ud6xNyR

    submitted by /u/CagedWeiner
    [link] [comments]

    Covering basement ceiling fiberglass insulation inexpensively.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    I'm renting a house and I've made a spot for friends and family to hang out in the basement. My concern is the exposed fiberglass insulation between the joists on the ceiling and being exposed to falling particles. Since this is a spot where we will be hanging out, drinking and eating I think it should be covered, and it will make the area look better as well.

    Again, I'm renting this house so I don't want to go overboard on costs. My ideas so far include mounting furring strips on the joists and then use some type of material to sit on the strips between the joists, or staple fabric of some kind to the joists.

    Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/JakeWNL
    [link] [comments]

    Help a wiring up Ecobee3 lite

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    So my current thermostat has 12 wires, but my ecobee that I just bought only has 6 (?). I know that the H on my old thermostat is for the humidifier and the two Ts are unnecessary as they are for an outdoor thermometer that I don't need. Not sure I am how supposed to hook them up to the ecobee still though. The letters on my current thermostat go T T C Y2 Y1 B D H L O V1 V2 G R (B and L are unused). Here is picture of my current thermostat. Lennox Thermostat

    submitted by /u/rockbuck
    [link] [comments]

    drywall mudding - critique my process

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    I have watched just about every video/thread I can on this. Thought I'd check out the opinions on this sub to try to navigate the maze. If you have strong opinions on whether something I'm doing is right/wrong, would you mind sharing?

    I had to have the bottom 2 feet of my finished basement walls removed in order to have an internal French drain put in. Now I am refinishing the basement myself. Therefore, I am connecting finished/painted walls to unfinished drywall.

    The drywall is up. I have a lot of butt joints because that's what you're stuck with when you replace the bottom 2 feet of drywall. I filled in all of the gaps/holes between the boards and corners with quick set mud. I used a knife and applied it flat, using a knife to knock down any thing I missed afterwards. Now I have a flat base to work with.

    My next planned step is to mud and tape. I will tape with all purpose mud, thinning it out a little bit until I get that peanut butter consistency. I will try to keep the coats pretty thin.

    After that I will continue to thin out the mud, coating wider, and finally feathering. I have 10" and 14" knives for this. In addition to all purpose, I also have USG ultralightweight mud. It's unclear to me if this is a good or bad idea to use. It should be easier to sand, but lots of people use all-purpose only, and some of the reviews complain that it causes bubbles.

    At the very end, I will go through and sand at fine grit (150). Then I'll use a spot light and search the entire wall for blemishes.

    What's unclear to me is how to maximize my chances of having good joints that you cant see once the job is painted. Since the key to blending is to spread the bump over a wide distance, why not go even further than the typical 12" feathering on each side? Why not feather until feathers from one joint meet another? Why not skim the entire wall? Or am I over thinking this, need to just do good enough, and then get high quality primer and paint to cover up the imperfections, a couple coats if needed?

    submitted by /u/Case17
    [link] [comments]

    Which bamboo fencing looks better?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    We have just moved into a new rental and we're wanting to put bamboo fencing around the entire garden. We're struggling a little between these 2 - light and dark. The crossed out one is my favourite but it's 4x the price of the others. The remaining 2 are not amazing but very cheap and we want this to be a cheap project. Try to imagine them so they are put on correctly also as very little effort was made for these samples. Any opinions on what you think looks better?

    https://i.imgur.com/mi5HduC.jpg

    submitted by /u/ketoaussie
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Fence

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 08:37 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit,

    My wife and I just moved into a newly constructed home in Texas and we need your advice.

    Our backyard backs up into our neighbor's fence who is also part of another community/HOA. We want to build a fence in our backyard to have the finished side facing us and to have the fence at the same height as our side fence. Also, our property is about 9 inches taller than their property (you can't see it in the picture) so with the way their fence is, I feel like we are looking down into their backyard.

    Our HOA has approved our building of the fence to be the same height as our side fence but I'm trying to also be a good neighbor. I plan on setting back our fence about a 6 inches from theirs to ensure that we are not touching their fence. But I also feel pretty guilty because I'm realizing that when they look at their backyard, they will see their fence and our fence that is higher than theirs.

    We are new homeowners and want to keep the peace. Do you guys have any recommendations about how to do this? Also for those with a double fence, how do you keep weeds from growing between the two fences? I have also included pictures for reference. Thank you so much

    https://imgur.com/a/u9i1kbB

    submitted by /u/BlueBDS
    [link] [comments]

    Rustoleum Hammered Spraypaint

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 08:36 PM PDT

    Does anyone have any experience with hammered spray paint? I want to paint the columns in my basement with texture to hide some of the chips and rough spots already on it and make them look fresh. Never seen or used this paint before but hoping it will work

    submitted by /u/whyamilikethis171
    [link] [comments]

    Basement remodel - subfloor under framing?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 08:25 PM PDT

    I'm getting ready to renovate my basement and want to do the framing and a few other things on my own. Question about subfloors like DriCore or Tyroc. Do you put that type of subfloor down first and frame over it, or frame first and just run the subfloor up to the plates? Also, my ceilings joists are 6'11, so I'd like to maximize headroom. What's the thinnest subfloor option out there? I'm in the front range of Colorado so it gets cold, but not unbearably so and moisture doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/bonerjamzbruh420
    [link] [comments]

    Insulation for dummies?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    Bought our first house this week, Orlando, Fl. We noticed today that the insulation is practically bare in the attic. We are first time home buyers and don't know very much about insulation, so for now we are going to buy the rolls from Home Depot to install ourselves. Does anyone have advice on which rolls to purchase? Any particular kinds to stay away from?

    submitted by /u/BecccaF
    [link] [comments]

    Sump pit filling every two minutes.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    Hey guys, i live in MN and we have had some snow melting and a bit of rain over the past week, but for 3 days now I have noticed my sump pump is flushing out water every two minutes. I can see the water coming in from the side pipe steadily into the pit. I have the sump pump draining the water outside my home about 20ft away from me towards the street. My home flooded last year and until then I haven't paid close attention to how much my sump pump is working. Is this normal? Should my pump be in use every two minutes for days possibly weeks? I bought a backup pump today, but I did just install the one I have running a few months ago (1/2 HP).

    submitted by /u/pack2121
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment