• Breaking News

    Friday, February 5, 2021

    Home security: Advice

    Home security: Advice


    Advice

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 06:10 PM PST

    My family's house is a corner house in a cul de sac/dead end. Our front door has a passageway and our front door is basically on the side of our house. We had Vivint security system installed for almost a year and our front doorbell camera happens to be pointed right in front of our neighbors yard/driveway.Today, she messaged me saying that "it's an invasion of her privacy when she's on her sidewalk or at her tree she has planted right in front of our door. It's illegal and an invasion of her privacy to have the security camera pointed there." But, the fact that it's been professionally installed and where a doorbell is supposed to be I need help showing her it is not an invasion of her privacy if she decided to go full Karen mode on me again.

    submitted by /u/cassey4223
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for System Overviews and Considerations

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 12:40 AM PST

    Looking for best practices and recommendations for a home security system for a SFH. I would like both video recording and a system that alerts the authorities and calls for help if I am traveling and someone breaks in.

    I currently have a Synology NAS 8 bay DS1918+ I could use for recording locally. Also have an indoor Nest cam. i'm not sure if I should be investing further into either option, or pursuing something entirely different like SimpliSafe or similar. it is probably important to note that my home is not wired for ethernet jacks externally on the building, so I would have to hardwire power to the cameras but I do not think I would be able to wire ethernet. They would have to be wireless for that reason.

    One concern I have with recording locally is if someone breaks in and finds the NAS, then there would be no way for me to have that video evidence. Is this a concern for other people, and a reason for you to decide on cloud services like Nest instead?

    Another question I have is whether I should be pursuing a single integrated system where the video and alerting the authorities about a break in all happens and one service, or if it's better to be separated to have one system for video recording and a separate system for motion detectors, door and window breaking, etc.

    submitted by /u/BananaH4mm0ck
    [link] [comments]

    CCTV Help please - I may have nuked my drive !!

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 03:41 PM PST

    So I dug out my old Floureon AHD DVR and decided to test it out as the cameras are still set up outside. I've set it up on Internet Explorer to be able to view on my second PC screen. I was flicking through the settings (on IE, not on the dvr menus) and I clicked on a setting that allowed me to use the hard drive in my PC to do some local recording. This option was already active and it had one of my drives already in the settings, so when I tried to click the drive by going to 'MY PC' it said drive unavailable, and after a PC restart, Windows won't even detect the drive, even in CMD / DISKPART or Disk management. WTF just happened guys have I wiped out all data on this backup drive ? Please could someone with more knowledge on this please help. TIA

    submitted by /u/Icy_Barber4392
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a camera for catching dog poopers

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 10:22 AM PST

    I recently completed wiring my home for future POE camera's. My intention is to add one or two cameras at a time, and learn from each purchase to get the right camera for my application.

    However, as this is my first camera purchase, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either of these models:

    • ANNKE C800 4K 8MP
    • RLC-810A
    • RLC-410-5MP

    I expect I need good night vision to catch the people that are letting their dogs crap on my lawn. The cameras will be mounted on my porch, which is elevated about 20' high, and 32' away from where they're doing it. This means about 38' line of sight distance. The porch has lights, so I can leave them on, they'd be behind the camera, if that matters. They wouldn't illuminate the area of the yard, however.

    I'm looking to be able to identify the general look of the dog owner, and the general look of the dog. I walk my dog a lot, and I'm pretty sure if I could identify the breed of the dog and some details about the person, I could identify them when on my walks.

    I got the above models from reviews on youtube, but looking to see if anyone has personal experience with them. I'm trying to stay around $100/cdn and want ONVIF as I'll likely setup blue iris.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Noicesocks
    [link] [comments]

    6160RF unable to arm/disarm

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 01:43 PM PST

    I installed a 6160RF on my Vista 20SE system. Con addr - 31, Receiver on, Receiver address - 00, High security off, Disable HS dev no. It shows Disarmed and shows any faults. However when I put in code and command nothing happens. Has anyone seen something similar?

    submitted by /u/jlwlynn
    [link] [comments]

    Need Camera Suggestions for Custom Setup

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 07:16 AM PST

    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. If you have suggestions of other subreddits that would be more appropriate, please let me know.

    I have a client who is wanting to set up a high-tech barber shop with multiple cameras on three different sides of the room that can show the customer's hair from those three different angles easily on a TV. He wants to be able to quickly switch between the cameras and have the ability to easily record video from all of the cameras to a computer that will be in the room, as well as have the option to live stream from the cameras. He wants everything to be able to connect and be controlled from an automated system in the computer, but another person will be handling that part of it.

    I just need suggestions for cameras that have some zoom on them so they can get in tight on the person's head from 6-10 feet away, be able to connect and stream to a computer, either wirelessly or wired (wired might be preferred so we don't risk dropouts), and be able to integrate into software like OBS as well as being able to easily cast the cameras to a TV on the other side of the room.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ShaunK223
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment