• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 13, 2021

    Home security: Looking (again) for wifi Doorbell Camera - Local, not Cloud storage

    Home security: Looking (again) for wifi Doorbell Camera - Local, not Cloud storage


    Looking (again) for wifi Doorbell Camera - Local, not Cloud storage

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:09 PM PST

    I looked for something about six months ago, but every system I could find required on-line monthly fees for data storage. I have a house wifi system + excessive PC storage and want to keep everything local.

    The porch pirates have been getting bad again and I need something to record the front of the house.

    /NOT RING

    submitted by /u/Lumpus60
    [link] [comments]

    New Ring sign or old ADT sign?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:31 PM PST

    I've switched from ADT to Ring (with professional monitoring), and they sent me a free yard sign, but I wonder if I should I just keep the ADT signs as a deterrent instead of replacing them with Ring signs? Are burglars more intimidated by ADT than Ring?

    submitted by /u/PenisBeautyCream
    [link] [comments]

    Zone error after factory reset DSC PC1616

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:02 PM PST

    Hi, I just bough a house with a DSC Alarm system but I didn't have the master code. So I Factory reset the alarm panel ( with a jumper between Zone 1 and PGM1 ) Everything work great I was able to change the password and everything but since I did that all my zone are in error state ... My question is : Do I need te reprogram something since I factory reset it or I my issue may be the wiring since I unplugged the zone 1 and the ac I could have unplugged something without notice it

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/thibe5
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a 8 camera wireless camera system.

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:25 PM PST

    Is there a camera system thats wireless, or can have wireless camera components.

    That's not of the likes of ring, arlo. (Not service based), but more security based.

    submitted by /u/BrightenedGold
    [link] [comments]

    Home security suggestions?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 01:43 PM PST

    Hi all. We recently bought a house, and have previously lived in a condo and had no need for one. We're both super unfamiliar with what systems are good, what to stay away from etc.

    Can anyone recommend the systems they like and use? Also how about ring doorbells or something similar?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/alyk0503
    [link] [comments]

    Desperately need a camera with decent quality but good enough audio under $40....? Any options?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:05 PM PST

    Things are getting rough on the home front and unfortunately need to get a device with good audio and decent to good visuals. Ideally playback will be continuous, either recorded to micro sd or cloud (no fee).

    Are there any options out there? There is a sale on Eufy and they have good reviews here seems, but I can't find much mention of the audio quality. Is this good or is there another good option for under $40, preferably under $30

    The main intent of this is to capture some conversations that are happening at home. Visuals will helps with some context bu the main this is continuous recording of audio as well. Could use a phone but this would require manually starting each time.

    submitted by /u/DoctorQuinlan
    [link] [comments]

    Very specific advice: 3rd floor outdoor parking lot monitoring for condo advice

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:58 PM PST

    Hey there r/homesecurity!

    My condo complex has a new issue with car break ins in our parking lot overnight. I was hoping to install a camera of some kind outside my spare bedroom window which overlooks the parking lot to see if I can help provide information about these repeat burglaries.

    I live on the third (top) floor of the complex and can plug in to a socket a camera and mount it on my own windowsill. I have wireless internet. It is more for recording than for alerts because, well, people are going in and out of the parking lot in their everyday lives.

    Is there a high enough resolution camera that works at night that can pick up enough detail to help my neighborhood catch the burglars?

    Thank you for any recommendations. Price is not really an issue but less than $500 would be ideal.

    submitted by /u/Coffeecreamandsugar
    [link] [comments]

    First Alert Detectors Compatibile to Vivint?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:21 PM PST

    Has anyone tried to use First Alert's Z-wave smoke detectors with their Vivint security system? I know Vivint is compatible with a lot of Z-wave products, but I haven't found any documentation in regards to their smoke detectors. Online says you can use third-party Z-wave products, but you can't take advantage of Vivint's monitoring system with them (This may just be referring to third-party cameras? See article I'm referencing below). I just want to make sure that it will actually trigger the fire alarm to Vivint and they will respond appropriately if I install third-party detectors. Vivint's are so expensive, and they aren't even combo detectors.

    https://smarthomestarter.com/is-the-ring-camera-compatible-with-vivint/#:~:text=Vivint%E2%80%99s%20Z-wave%20technology%20feature%20makes%20it%20compatible%20with,take%20advantage%20of%20Vivint%E2%80%99s%20monitoring%20services%20with%20them.

    submitted by /u/vdg396
    [link] [comments]

    Switching old ADT system to Surety+Homeseer

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 12:04 PM PST

    Hi - I'm going to be a first time house owner. I dabbled with home automation (I use homeseer with z-wave light and fan switches throughout my apartment). I love my homeseer system and want to do the same at the new house (i.e. smart switches everywhere) and perhaps more.

    Home security is important to me too. The house I am buying currently has an (older) ADT system. I'm convinced it sucks based on my reading of this forum. I've been leaning toward Surety Home as perhaps the optimal choice. Can you give me some notion of:

    1. How hard is it to remove the existing ADT system (control panels, sensors, etc).
    2. Whether the Qolsys IQ Panel provided by Surety plays well with homeseer? Are there configuration issues I should anticipate? Do I simply register all my z-wave switches with homeseer? And then does the IQ Panel simply "send a message" to my homeseer controller to turn on/off devices.
    3. Does the Surety "Enhanced" system provide cellular backup so it works if the power goes out?
    4. Should I be replacing all the existing smoke/carbon monoxide detectors with Qolsys IQ ones so the system is well integrated? The local building code is the smoke detectors must be interconnected such that if one goes off, they all go off. Will this happen (perhaps via the IQ Panel)?

    Sorry in advance if my questions are basic or silly. I'm a noob here and appreciate any help.

    Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/snnstuff
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend Me A System?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 03:37 PM PST

    So, we have a neighbor that dislikes us for unknown reasons. Said neighbor continuously lies to others (had a visit from the police today fml) and says our dogs are constantly barking. We know this isn't true because we are home with them 24/7. Literally, one of us is home 100% of the time. Plus, we have indoor cameras. Please recommend an affordable home surveillance system for us!!

    What we need/would like: -Good quality video day and night with endless recording -AUDIO RECORDING 100% of the time!! -WiFi enabled cameras -Large storage (perks for additional mini SD storage slot on each cam) -Either plug powered cameras, or near-infinite batteries that are rechargeable -included monitor would be nice, but not a must -AT LEAST 3 cameras, pref. more -mobile/remote viewing would be nice -some capability of transferring/copying recordings to other places, like email, thumb drive, etc. -$500 or less, preferably?

    submitted by /u/YeEunah
    [link] [comments]

    Alarm Monitoring for Honeywell ProA7Plus

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:03 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    I recently purchased a Honeywelll Pro series ProA7Plus along with their wired to wireless converter so i can make use of the existing sensors wired in the house.

    Right now I am between Alarm Grid & GeoArm for monitoring. Do you guys have any other recommendations for monitoring services? I'm looking to get use out of Total Connect 2.0 & HomeKit whenever it is enabled (hopefully first half of this year).

    Appreciate any recommendations & experiences that you may have with the system or monitoring service.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/morocotopo84
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice - fictional security scenario

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 03:40 AM PST

    Hi all. My knowledge of security systems is scant at best. I'm doing research for a fiction book where an investigative journalist breaks into a mansion in order to steal evidence that he intends to use against the owner. I know security is a whole field of study, so I'll need a bit of help on this one. So I was hoping I could find a security buff here might be able to suggest a reasonably plausible scenario to me. Whereby, the journalist had bribed the security system installer to tell him how to defeat the system. He's something of an experienced burglar, so he's got that on his side.

    How can I do this in a fictional way? It's a big mansion, so you'd imagine it has a decent security system designed to notify the security guard, and monitor unauthorized entry. I have the journalist going through a tough metal door in the outer wall, maybe one that had a card reader or a keypad that would alert the security guard if someone was messing around with that door. He defeats something there, and gets through the door undetected.

    This needs to sound like something that could actually happen in the real world, so that it's convincing to the reader.

    So he gets through the door in the wall around the mansion. But I'm thinking there should be one more security measure to defeat, once he's inside. Or maybe before he gets into the building itself. That would make sense, right? He's robbing the mansion while the family is home, so you'd assume there wouldn't be an active security system inside the huge mansion, while they were there. Otherwise they'd trip it while they were moving around inside.

    He also has to dodge the security guard, but that's a bit easier since he only needs to stay out of sight. Without the automated help from the security system, the guard can only rely on his eyesight to tell him if someone is there that ain't supposed to be.

    To be clear, I'm asking for a few technical details as well. I think that will make it sound really plausible, and interesting. They don't have to be real, of course. I don't think it's a good idea to write about that. But they can be slightly modified, so that they sound real, but wouldn't actually work in reality. That's fine. I've already got the whole thing written, but I need a several sentences where he defeats a couple of security measures. And I want it to sound realistic.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/rampitup55
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing Hard Drive in ADT A-ADT8H?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:35 AM PST

    The hard drive on this 8 camera setup is old and only 500gb. I'm also getting a bad S.M.A.R.T. memory readings, so it looks like it's dying anyway. I don't want to upgrade fo $15,000 or some stupid cost. Is there a way to replace the hard drive on these and just keep using it?

    submitted by /u/Session_Budget
    [link] [comments]

    Lorex Cloud client

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:03 AM PST

    Anyone have a saved setup .exe they can share to me for the Lorex Cloud Windows installer?

    Used to have it installed but recently reinstalled my OS and didn't save my downloads folder. All their support articles pointing to it have broken links.

    submitted by /u/timhatesthis
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment