• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 13, 2021

    Home security: Single Girl Shit

    Home security: Single Girl Shit


    Single Girl Shit

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:45 AM PST

    Hiya security knowing people!

    So I'm closing on my first home soon and am looking for some direction. I'm a twenty-something single chick moving into a brick and sidewalk neighborhood. I need cameras. Outdoor for security, indoor to check on pets and monitor goings-on for family/friends that are likely to be there while I am at work (with permission, but still would like to have access to verify nothing is sketch, ya know?)

    I am coming from a place with Arlo, but that's seriously unnecessarily expensive. Through my own research, it seemed Wyze was my best option at my price point.

    Recently I got a couple hundred extra as a gift to help ease the settling in process, but I'd still like to keep it on hand for unexpected moving expenses rather than dump it into the cameras UNLESS I really do need to.

    So my question ultimately is, should I purchase Wyze camera's and subscription? Or is there a better option I didn't find? Please, tell me what to buy!!!

    Camera plan:

    Ring included with home.

    One camera mounted, battery operated, above garage to monitor driveway, front yard.

    One indoor camera that moves OR two to monitor front and back entryways.

    One outdoor for backyard, can be wired or battery, will be mounted under covered patio no rain, etc.)

    All need to record activity, save to a cloud, be accessible via an app when I am away, and communicate through the cameras.

    Please help!!!

    so after posting so many recommended PoE, but any specific systems? I want the app features like nest/arlo and ease of use, install I can handle. suggestions on an Amazon kit that would meet this?

    submitted by /u/co_sette
    [link] [comments]

    Smart Doorbell with DVR no Alexa or Google

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:41 PM PST

    Does this exist? We would like a smart door bell that is just on our own DVR set up.

    We haven't bought anything yet but ideally we will have a few cameras and the door bell running to a dvr and a tv.

    Every option I look at has Alexa or Google or is only app based. Is there a self contained option? Even the audio only devices have them.

    We have a gate now on our house so it would be nice to be able to talk to visitors.

    If not, we will do a regular doorbell with a camera watching.

    I just can't believe there isn't a device without these.

    submitted by /u/Debastated
    [link] [comments]

    How do I teach people about home defense/security without making them paranoid or scared to live life?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:36 PM PST

    Hello,

    My friend and his wife are looking to buy a house. They are asking my about security and defense and I told them I'll get back to them.

    I will admit that I'm a little more paranoid than most people that I know, at least outwardly.

    I personally have guns, dogs, security systems, poe cameras, steel door and frames, the whole gamut.

    I wanna teach my friend about home defense but I don't wanna make him as crazy as I am, and I live in a statistically safer neighborhood than him.

    How do I teach them without causing them to live in fear like I do? They are currently happy go lucky people and I don't want to change that. I just want them to be safe.

    submitted by /u/this2ndredditaccount
    [link] [comments]

    Did someone just try to break into my house?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 03:27 PM PST

    I get into the shower and a few moments after I hear my doorbell spam. I call my mother to ask if it was her and she said no, and I asked where my dad was, who she told me was at my grandfather's house. Okay. It's not my parents (only child)

    I walk upstairs to the door and no one is there. I see a car infront of my house parked, and an old guy in a hood comes from behind my house (we have a disconnected garage behind the house with a long driveway) ,to my front door asking if I know my neighbors. He tells me to call them because he can't get a reach of them and I say okay. I did not unlock the door as we talked through the window.

    He started jogging back to his car and I called my neighbor to ask. They said that the car drove away and that they don't know anyone like the person I described.

    Did this dude just try and break in but was deterred because I came to the front? does this mean I'm now a target? Why else would he try and go into my backyard? We have a fence but it's frozen so perhaps he couldn't get in?

    submitted by /u/startreklasers
    [link] [comments]

    CCTV questions for home

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:57 PM PST

    Hi,

    New to this sub but been a lurker and what an awesome sub this is!

    Long story short i need 8 CCTV cameras for hom. Ive researched and found POE is the best bet with hikvision being the top contender. All sounds good. Im not allowed to post links here but if someone could have a look on ebay and copy this in

    "HIKVISION HILOOK CCTV SYSTEM IP POE 4CH 8CH 8MP NVR CAMERA 5MP NIGHT VISION KIT"

    Does anyone have experience with HILOOK, i believe this is some form of different cheaper version compared to true hikvision? Are they any good? Or could someone recommend me better hikvision cctv poe cameras with motion detections, night vision etc.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/sufy1212
    [link] [comments]

    Recs for indoor camera with motion detection notifications under $60

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:49 PM PST

    I'm in the market for a camera that I will have indoors and pointed at the door for my side entry.

    I would like it to send notifications when motion is detected. I have Amazon Alexa so if it works with that somehow, that's a plus.

    A user friendly app with clear audio and video, under $60....what's out there?

    submitted by /u/itsanofromme223
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best recommendations [2021] for the following items + scenarios ??

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:35 PM PST

    Hello there!

    Long-time reader, first time poster.

    I'm moving to Texas, into my first home that I've purchased! I'm pretty paranoid and my wife hates guns (i know, I know, I've tried arguing for a flamethrower but it's a no go haha).

    I'd love advice on what to buy for the following scenarios so have in mind:

    • I'd like a security system that offers offline footage storage (at least 2tb)

    • I'd like a security system that provides the ability to add more cameras down the line.

    • What is the best PoE camera/system I can buy that will withstand the elements and time?

    • What brand has great degree of visibility and high-quality recording (4k preferably).

    • Best anti-entry lock? I'm thinking something that I can either set on a timer or can manually set every time I leave.

    • What's the best system for withstanding power-outages and potential hacks?

    Any recommendations are VERY welcome and appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/zach_link512
    [link] [comments]

    Research on the most effective methods to prevent burglaries / home invasions

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 04:40 PM PST

    I started searching around for any survey data / studies on crime, and came across this interesting paper, studying homes in the UK (about 40,000 homes). It made me realize that basic preventions go a really long way.

    Window locks, indoor lights on timers, outdoor lights with sensor / timer, and deadbolts were the most effective at prevention. CCTV was less effective, and burglar alarms were negatively correlated to burglary, which is weird.

    "In particular, combinations with door and window locks plus external lights or security chains confer at least 20 times greater protection against burglary with entry than no security."

    Employing all of the methods they studied combined gave 139 times increase in protection! This alone is making me buy and install lights on timers -- perhaps having them internal lights turn on from outdoor motion sensors.

    Just goes to show that a little indeed goes a long way, and you don't need to necessarily buy expensive burglar alarms or cameras to get protection. Those aren't showing to be the most effective in this study.

    submitted by /u/singleskincell
    [link] [comments]

    solar camera with 24 hour recording no option for cables

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 10:32 AM PST

    i am looking for a solar camera with 24 hour recording , it can use wifi to dump the recording on a nvr or use a sd card, but no option to pull a cable

    submitted by /u/YouReallyNeedThis
    [link] [comments]

    Best small biometric handgun safe for bedside tape?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:18 AM PST

    That's exactly what I'm looking for.

    I have a large long gun safe, but with kids in the home and such I still need quick access coupled with safety.

    I need something small, preferably biometric and reliable. Something I can put in my nightstand and know that my firearm is safe and secure while still easily accessible to me as needed.

    So, any ideas?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/IvysH4rleyQ
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for Living Solo

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:24 PM PST

    I am moving into my first place by myself next month and would like to find a few effective solutions to invest in that will make me feel safer without spending a ton of money upfront.

    For context, I am used to living in apartment complexes with key fob-entry at the front door and elevators. My new place is a fairly large, two-story townhome that has a tall fence around the small townhouse community and a gated entry, but has a relatively hidden, but unlocked pedestrian entrance. The unit itself is two floors, ground-level, and has a front and back door. It has deadbolts and I can easily see who is at the front and back doors from the windows.

    My main concerns are my personal safety and protecting my valuables when I'm not at home. I can already see myself afraid to go downstairs if I've convinced myself someone is inside, so anything to quell irrational fears like that would be helpful. I also worry about neighbors with more access knowing I live alone.

    Two questions:

    1. Outside of a firearm, what would be my best initial products to buy to help me feel and stay safe? I will only be here for about 10 months so I would consider higher ticket items (>$100) if I can take them with me.
    2. Do you have any tips for clever ways to make it deter intruders or convincing neighbors someone else lives there?
    submitted by /u/kathiejay
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for good front door camera

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:03 PM PST

    I'm searching for a front door camera that isn't tied to any 3ed party services like Google home, alexa, or ring. It has to be fairly high res (3mp+) and has to be either strictly wired or PoE, (wifi disabled) and can interface with an NVR from Reolink.

    I'm a member of the HomeLab community as well, and I am not opposed to the idea of running Home automation in one of my virtualized servers, so if there is a way to stop other cameras like arlo, nest, or ring from phoning home any private data, that is also acceptable.

    submitted by /u/WhatCan
    [link] [comments]

    I have two 9mm handguns where should I put the other one?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 10:03 PM PST

    I got a Glock 17 and a small gun safe (one enough to fit the Glock and maybe another small handgun) my first 9mm is sitting in my room and I've been thinking of where I should put it because if I don't have access to the Glock then should the other handgun be somewhere else like in the bathroom in case someone breaks in and I'm not in my room. Btw there are no kids in my house so I don't have to worry about them getting into that. Is there a specific place that I could put it in case I don't have access to the Glock which is right by my bed?

    submitted by /u/Dub-k
    [link] [comments]

    Smart Devices When a door is opened I need a power switch to turn off. How do i do it?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:13 PM PST

    Hi All,

    I have some experience on smart devices but not very good.

    I would like to know if there is an option that if someone opens the door, it would turn on the smart power plug OFF/ON.

    The door will definitely needs some smart sensors to trigger the event. but I am not sure which one brand & model is good that is compatible to do this work.

    would like to know your suggestion on this matter.

    submitted by /u/securitynoob888
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment