• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 12, 2021

    Home Improvement: Disassembled my dishwasher and can’t get it back together.

    Home Improvement: Disassembled my dishwasher and can’t get it back together.


    Disassembled my dishwasher and can’t get it back together.

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:20 PM PST

    Specifically the main spinning blade/arm component. I decided to "open" the arm because it was all gummed up and I could see food inside of it. After a good cleaning it seems the part wasn't meant to be disassembled in the first place. When trying to get the two pieces back together there is no "snap" in to place. The seam lines up and everything is square but there is nothing really holding it in place. So I guess my question is... what do I do? Is there a glue that would hold up to the wash cycle conditions that anyone could recommend?

    submitted by /u/sorryforthehangover
    [link] [comments]

    Why aren’t IGU’s discussed more here as a viable option for window replacement? Am I missing something important?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 04:44 AM PST

    I just came across Insulated Glass Units (IGU) and I'm absolutely over the moon about them. What am I missing?

    We live in a great neighborhood (why we moved here) but it was developed by those national builder and we have the quality issues to prove that. 10 years in and we are slowly updating/upgrading/fixing all of those issues.

    One area we'd like to focus on are the vinyl windows. The window mechanics are fine, they all open, close, tilt, and stay open but the I swear 85% of them have condensation / fogginess in the glass. We got numerous quotes for windows and I swear we got hit with the Covid Tax on top of the "you live in THAT neighborhood tax" so the quotes came in at $50k to replace about 35 windows. They all blamed it on the labor it would take to replace them and how the national builder cut corners when installing them.

    So then I come across IGU's - $12,000 to replace all the glass in my house with low-e, tinted windows!! Plus it appears to be 90% DIY friendly (the high windows I'll contract out).

    These seem too good to be true. Is this the holy grail or am I missing something important?

    Edit:// Thanks for my first reddit award! If this helps one other person save money then great!

    submitted by /u/NCFlying
    [link] [comments]

    New homeowner here. Which is more affordable: hiring someone to build a deck or pour a concrete patio?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:44 AM PST

    Assuming square footage is about the same. Deck would be elevated maybe 2 feet from the ground.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SadTomatoWomanChild
    [link] [comments]

    AMERICAN HOME SHIELD

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:09 PM PST

    Beware of American Home Shield. I have leaking AC ducts and they sent out a servicer almost a full month ago. They told me today they are still waiting for documentation all the while my house is filling with humidity. I would go with another company as they don't seem to care and are difficult to deal with.

    submitted by /u/Budget_Lawfulness_56
    [link] [comments]

    Question about new construction footings

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:24 PM PST

    Please let me know if I'm not using the correct terms.

    I'm having a house built in Washington state. While looking at the foundation work they've done so far I noticed that a lot of the crawlspace footings broke through their shaping molds and cured in different angles (see https://i.imgur.com/2dXejHn.jpg).

    Is anyone aware if this is to code? Or do I need to have the contractor fix/replace these? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/just_some_other_guy
    [link] [comments]

    What is the sequence of steps for installing a range hood?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:13 PM PST

    I'm not sure what order I need to do things in.

    I will need to call an electrician to create the wire run to the stove, and I'm wondering if they can install the range hood too.

    So, do you start with the electrical and attaching the hood to the wall, or do you do all the ductwork first, and in what order should you do the steps?

    1. Cut hole in the roof and install the vent cap in the roof

    2. Duct from cabinet to the vent cap

    3. Cut the holes in the cabinet

    4. Attach the range hood to the wall and connect electricity

    submitted by /u/MoreRopePlease
    [link] [comments]

    Home renovation worth it at 325k

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:39 PM PST

    We bought a house for 700k and the plan was to put some money (100k) into it and renovate. We just got some bids on and the estimates are coming in at 325k 🥶. The value of the house on Zillow is 890k but my guess is that it's currently close to 800k. We have no plans of moving but it's life so you never know. Has anyone done a large Reno and regretted it or loved it? Is it worth it?

    submitted by /u/Embarrassed-Ad-7731
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for repainting/refinishing reclaimed wood accent wall

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:17 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I'm looking to repaint and/or refinish an accent wall in our master bedroom that the previous owners put up. The main reason is that we don't love the colors, but do like the general idea. We're just having a hard time deciding what the best course of action would be.

    Photo: https://imgur.com/a/497SUjM

    We're having trouble deciding if we should prime and repaint the boards white to match the white we are painting rest of the walls, or if we should sand the boards down a bit and stain them.

    The boards are fairly uneven so sanding would be a pain, but given the different colors there now, and the unevenness, I'm worried just painting them white would look kind of weird.

    Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TommyP63
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing grout with caulk question

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:57 PM PST

    The grout, or what appears to be grout, at the joint of my bathroom tiled walls and bathtub is shot. A lot of it was missing when we bought the house and it's taken a beating from my very splashy toddlers. I know nothing about tile but the internet tells me I should have caulk there instead of grout because of the need for there to be some flexibility at the joint. My question is whether I need to vigilantly remove all of the existing grout. Can I just kind of caulk over the grout, most of which, as I say, has already crumbled away? The caulk I'm using, if it makes a difference, is siliconized sanded ceramic tile caulk (Custom brand); this product was recommended by the tile guy who did my kitchen but for various reasons couldn't do the tub when he was here a few weeks ago. Thank you so much for any and all help.

    submitted by /u/chroniclerofblarney
    [link] [comments]

    Removed old banister, need suggestion for replacement?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 04:59 PM PST

    Our house had an awful banister which looked like a picket fence a previous owner installed. I removed it when we got new carpet and haven't gotten around to replacing it. I wanted to do something from scratch but am at a loss, not sure where to start or what to do. Need something simple and easy but doesn't look like a bunch of 2x4 glued together. Any suggestions?

    Current space >

    https://imgur.com/gallery/nLX8ZPH

    submitted by /u/MFAD94
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the best way to make my house smell good?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:14 PM PST

    Pretty straightforward question and yet I can't seem to figure it out! I've tried a few in-home diffusers and find the scents to be harsh and not well-dispersed, but may just not have found the right brand. I LOVE candles but they get very expensive very fast. What do you do to keep your home smelling cozy and nice?

    Apologies if this isn't the right sub, but I figured it's "improving" the home in a way! Haha.

    submitted by /u/neatokra
    [link] [comments]

    Windows?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:55 PM PST

    I don't have much window experience... any downside to the horizontal ones? I really like them but worry about the energy efficiency. Is double hung really any better? What if my house window sizes arent exactly (off by half to 1 inch) the same as the new ones? Any opinions would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Silly00rabbit
    [link] [comments]

    Adding venting to tile roof?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 10:47 PM PST

    I'm looking to redo my bathroom exhaust fan ducting as the house was built with the fans venting to the soffits. I've added roof vents to a shingle roof but I can find next to no information on how to do this on an existing tile roof. The small of information available is almost exclusively new work. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Key-Difficulty2304
    [link] [comments]

    First time home buyer. Advice on home inspection report.

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:23 PM PST

    Report here: https://www.docdroid.net/B5eCqjR/homeinspection-pdf

    The house is over 100 years old and it a recent flip. Quite nice on the inside. Some things that concern me are the gutters, foundation and old galvanized pipes. Both the inspector and realtor didn't seem to think the foundation was a concern given the age of the house. Is there anything here that is a giant, waving red flag that I'm not educated enough to see? Or is this pretty standard stuff for a house this old? Thanks in advance for advice!

    Edit: Nobody has told me to run, (not walk) just yet. My realtor says he's one of those types that other realtors hate. He's Hungarian and dgaf so I'm inclined to believe him haha. He has asked for the owner to fix or replace 25 things on the list so that seems like a good start.

    submitted by /u/Marty_McFuckinFly
    [link] [comments]

    Bought New Washer & Dryer - vents clogged?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 11:25 AM PST

    Recently, my wife's dad bought us a new washer a dryer set (he works at Samsung so we got a hefty discount and it was a nice homewarming gift). We got professional installation because honestly if something did go wrong, I didn't want it to be because I forgot something and burned my house down.

    As per normal setup, I run tests on both the washer and dryer (calibration for the washer and ventilation for the dryer). The washer is great! But the dryer tells me it's 80% clogged so I'm like ok fine, I call a vent cleaner, they come and snake the vent, push a lot of dust and lint out and they head out and I'm SUPER excited now.

    Run the test again, bam, 80% clogged. The ventilation tube is not kinked at all, professionally cleaned, I have no clue what else I could do to fix this. Samsung support shrugged and said it must still be the vent. Any advice? Would love to uh wash my clothes soon.

    EDIT: Okay so, it was mentioned a lot so I'll write it here in an edit -- I ran it unconnected and it wasn't noted as clogged fortunately so it isn't the unit itself (though my room was quite toasty for a bit haha). And reading the comments I think I was just being stupid, I am in an upstairs apartment and given that the vent is a literal hole in the ground, my full guess is that it vents downwards so the air is having trouble moving because duh physics (embarrassing that I, a physisict, couldn't work that out). Not sure what my move is, the vents are pretty much cleaned, it's just. physics. Consequences of not doing enough research I guess :( Thank you all for the help, I will just gamble ig because damn I need clothes

    submitted by /u/beeeeg_yoshii
    [link] [comments]

    Replace electric range and pop up downdraft diy?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:15 PM PST

    I have an older dacor cooktop and pop up vent. I was looking to replace it with a Bosch 800 36 inch cooktop and cattura 36 inch pop up vent hood. The old cooktop is starting to fritz out.

    1. I'm not sure it's possible they're the same size but not sure if everything will line up? Or maybe I should stick with dacor/Samsung

    2. I'd like to save the 500$ they're charging for installation. I'm pretty good at changing light fixtures and toilets but haven't done something like this before. Would it be a diy?

    Thanks

    https://imgur.com/gallery/tLPd0qX

    submitted by /u/jeffbokeh
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice: Replacing light switch with wireless dimmer switch?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:27 PM PST

    Hey Home Improvement gang - I have a light switch in my baby's nursery on the opposite wall from the door. I'd like to replace it with a wireless dimmer switch near the door and preferably hide the existing switch behind a plate or something like that. What options for this kind of operation exist?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/iamstirpicus
    [link] [comments]

    Fix patch over metal corner

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:42 PM PST

    I have no idea how to fix this the right way. In the past I've used spackle to patch up these spots, but they always appear again after a few years. Now that I'm older I know that's because spackle has zero strength and also can't adhere to metal....so double penalty in this spot. But I also have no idea how to correctly fix this. I'm hoping someone can chime in with a better way to do this (without turning this into a major project).

    submitted by /u/BonquiquiShiquavius
    [link] [comments]

    Resources for replacing rotted posts on front porch

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:36 PM PST

    I need to replace the posts on my front porch. This is a job i can do but i want to make sure i understand the best approaches. The current posts are rotted out at the bottom, so i definitely want to avoid that again. My porch is concrete and i believe it has metal clips but i want to change those out (most likely rotted). Anyone have a youtube video they have used or a resource that explains this kind of project? I cant find exactly what im looking for. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/msklovesmath
    [link] [comments]

    Possible to Move waste pipe over 2 feet in wall?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:58 PM PST

    I am taking out a wall that has a waste pipe from upstairs bathroom that comes down the wall. I need to move this pipe 2 feet over where part of the wall will remain. The bottom part is easy since the garage is below. The difficulty is the top part. See the pictures. The pipe runs through the floor joists and then a 90 angle down the wall. Is it possible to change the 90 angle connector to a 45 connector then run the pipe 2 feet horizontal and then 90 angle down the wall? I need it to come down the inside of the first stud off the other wall.

    I am waiting on a couple of plumbers to come out but it's going to be a couple of weeks before they can come. I would like to hear any opinions beforehand. Thanks for your help!

    Pipe

    submitted by /u/willjob
    [link] [comments]

    Framing basement walls - double top plate installation

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:28 PM PST

    Hi all,

    Getting ready to finish my basement. I have glued up xps on the walls, and noticed the load bearing walls have two top plates. I want all my basement walls to be consistent. However, my nail gun only handles 3 1/2 inch nails, so I can't just nail through two plates into my ceiling joists. What is the strategy to adding a double top plate to an an existing ceiling?

    Do I nail the first top plate to the joists, build the wall, then level and attach to that?

    I'm worried about being level. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Fireman_X
    [link] [comments]

    Harbor breeze fan beeps but won’t turn

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:24 PM PST

    Remote doesn't work,but we ordered new batteries that are on the way any reason to why the fan won't spin?

    submitted by /u/pattyicevv77
    [link] [comments]

    Other than getting 3+ quotes, how can you be sure you're getting a "fair" price for a project?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:06 PM PST

    honestly as a new homeowner and someone who isn't familiar with trades it makes it sort of difficult. sure, the three quotes at least give you an idea of the going rate but even then sometimes the quotes vary wildly and you don't know if it's becoming a case of "getting what you pay for" or not.

    submitted by /u/Heavy_Cheddar
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on transitioning floors

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:26 PM PST

    The general living areas of my house have a dark wood-tile look for the floor (rustic/industrial). We are redoing our bedroom floors and I really wanted a white oak/beached look. My husband says it's too much of a contrast, but he says if that's what I want then go for it because we are never moving anyway. The other option is a dark gold wood (which matches with the lightest tone in the wood floor look we have). The bathroom (which we are completely redoing) would have white floors, btw (not sure if that matters).

    submitted by /u/musesx9
    [link] [comments]

    7ft island

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:25 PM PST

    Is a 7ft island in my kitchen an average size? I'm trying to decide what to put in my kitchen and the contractor recommended 7ft (to seat my 3 kids for breakfast/homework)

    submitted by /u/terrytneedstopee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment