• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 12, 2021

    Home security: Drowning in a sea of sensors! Advice needed.

    Home security: Drowning in a sea of sensors! Advice needed.


    Drowning in a sea of sensors! Advice needed.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:41 PM PST

    We're looking real hard at a house and one of the things I'm trying to plan for is the deployment of a security system. When it comes to finding best practices to monitoring windows, I'm at a bit of an impasse and could use some advice.

    Along the exterior walls of the house are large three-pane sliding windows (One large window has three movable elements). I'm concerned about someone breaking and entering through one of the numerous windows.

    It looks like at some point in the past, there was a security system installed however it looks like the flippers that owned the house before us have damaged or destroyed all the wiring for the existing sensors. It looks like the house initially had carpet, but the flipper installed tile and in doing so destroyed all the chases for the sensor wires along the perimeter and severed the wires in the process. In addition, all of the magnetics on the window frames were removed (looks like the windows were replaced).

    The big problem is that the house has A LOT of windows. If I had a sensor per moving window element, it would add up to 27 magnetic sensors (five of those being doors and two being the garage). Yes, this house has 22 windows which comes up to almost $500 for just the magnetic sensors.

    I have two other alternatives, to "gang" windows together using conventional sensors (one sensor monitors three or four windows that are nearby) or achieve the same coverage with a motion sensor and glass break sensors (This might not be the cheapest route as some locations like the kitchen windows will still require a magnetic sensor).

    If I add a sensor per moving window element, that's 27 sensors including the garage.
    If I gang sensors together, the end count would be 13 sensors including the garage (assuming I can indeed run wires around to monitor each window element.
    If I use motion/glassbreak sensors, that brings the count to 6 glassbreak sensors, 6 motion sensors, 7 magnetic sensors.

    I'm not entirely sold on the idea of motion sensors, we have several cats (some of them are ... large) so I'm worried about them also setting it off and incurring a false alarm. Nevermind the fact that I like to go to the kitchen for a midnight snack if I can't sleep. I'm even less sold on glassbreaks, we've had two in the apartment and they've never gone off (outside of me clapping in front of it to test it) but to be fair, we've never had a window break in attempt either.

    At this point, I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of sensors and we're only talking about magnetics, glassbreak, and motion sensors. I haven't even gotten to smoke/CO detectors or keypads yet.

    Any suggestions? Recommendations? Should I stop trying to go with a DIY installation and hire a proper security contractor? Suggestions at not getting overwhelmed?

    Advice appreciated, thank you.

    submitted by /u/firestorm_v1
    [link] [comments]

    One minute to know about WDM(Wavelength Division Multiplexing)

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 01:05 AM PST

    What is WDM in the fiber optical communication? It is the Wavelength Division Multiplexing, which is the combination of a variety of wavelengths of optical signals through the wave converters together, and coupled to the same fiber, in order to carry out data transmission technology. Is difficult to understand? Let me do this example.

    You can think of the WDM as a highway -- where different types of vehicles pour into the highway and then part ways when they reach their destination. Just like this. That's the job of WDM. Save the fibers to transmits the optical signal.

    submitted by /u/hycsystem
    [link] [comments]

    Video cameras without constant internet upload

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 11:36 AM PST

    I live in a rural area with limited upload bandwidth. Is there any camera solutions that record locally, and only require internet if actively browsing? I don't want the camera to be constantly uploading to the cloud for every interesting event, as this would be prohibitive. Been looking around for a while, but everything seems like it requires some constant cloud access.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gtlogic
    [link] [comments]

    Big box stores front and surface mount security door options. (Help).

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 12:00 AM PST

    Just became a home owner and unfortunately I am on a tight budget. This lead me to wonder how strong the exterior doors that Lowe's and home depot sell are.

    Granted, i will reinforce the front door components using longer screws, 3m security film, door stop, and a kit from door armor.

    I still wonder that with all that done, how sturdy is the door really? Does anyone have any recommendations?

    Also I will be looking at getting surface mounted security doors installed and have storm doors removed. Have any of you dealt with these doors? Please list any recommendations or suggestions, I'll greatly appreciate it.

    Links of doors and accessories I'm thinking about:

    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-Geneva-Copper-Vein-Steel-Single-Door-Security-Door-Common-36-in-x-80-in-Actual-35-in-x-78-5-in/1000208447

    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masonite-Half-Lite-Blinds-Between-The-Glass-Left-Hand-Inswing-Primed-Steel-Prehung-Entry-Door-with-Insulating-Core-Common-32-in-x-80-in-Actual-33-5-in-x-81-625-in/1000049379

    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Door-Armor-Double-Side-Light-Door-Security-Kit/50022836

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Door-Reinforcement-Lock-3-in-Stop-Aluminum-Construction-Satin-Nickel-Anodized-Finish-U-10827/202258432

    submitted by /u/schoolbluetooth
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use old night owl bnc wires to put a different camera brand system?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 11:00 PM PST

    I have an old Night owl security system that uses bnc connectors. I can't replace the wires and the camera system is old. Can I exchange the cameras with any camera brand as long as they use bnc wires as well?

    submitted by /u/Snoo-36634
    [link] [comments]

    Simple, budget-friendly system with space to upgrade

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 03:35 PM PST

    One of my parents had their car broken into recently and they want to get a security system set up. They want it to be affordable (a few hundred at most) and basic (they're not tech-minded) with room to expand. They also want to avoid subscription fees.

    I'm pretty much the IT guy for them, but I want to be able to set something up for them where they don't have to worry about changing settings or needing to know too much to keep it running.

    They only want a couple of cameras to start off with, just to watch the driveway and the front of the house, but they want the option to expand to more cameras if the need arises.

    I was looking at simple security kits from the likes of Reolink, Annke, and Amcrest, but those all have four cameras and are priced out of reach for my parents.

    I'd appreciate any assistance in this matter.

    submitted by /u/AMReese
    [link] [comments]

    What cameras other than Wyze (I don't live in the USA) can you recommend ?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 03:55 PM PST

    All I see in posts recommendations is Wyze, which is awesome but sadly they don't do worldwide shipping and using third-party shipping company (like Shipitio) costs like two Wyze cameras.

    Edit: Budget: 120$. Location: Romania.

    submitted by /u/sason12
    [link] [comments]

    Vivint to simplisfe

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 10:48 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm purchasing a home that has a vivint system installed (front door and sensors, no cameras). I just called them and they're already trying to bombard me with unreasonable fees and long contracts and I'm already done with them. If I were to sign up for simplisafe service, would most of the vivint equipment be compatible or would it all have to be replaced? Thanks and please excuse my ignorance

    submitted by /u/toby_flendersonn
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to crack open a safe without an acetylene torch?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:05 AM PST

    Sorry if this is in the wrong sub but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

    I know that headline sounds extremely sketchy lol but I promise it's my own safe. My mom got it for me years ago and there is some money and other sentimental things in it that I completely forgot about. Unfortunately I cannot find the key anywhere, I searched the whole house up and down. It's a small fireproof Sentry brand safe, just a key lock.

    After this whole fiasco I'm just planning on buying a bigger safe maybe with combination or number pad rather than a key, so I'm fine with ruining this small sentry one if I have to, but I don't want to use any flames or acetylene that's going to possibly ignite anything inside.

    Also, does anyone have recommendations for a decent sized combination/number pad fireproof safe? Maybe a little bit bigger than hotel sized ones

    submitted by /u/bustaacaps
    [link] [comments]

    Self-install or using a company, beginners here.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 04:03 AM PST

    I'm about to be a new homeowner this week and have lived in apartments and a condo where I basically just had a camera that I would have facing my front door in the evenings.

    We're moving to a new home with a large yard in a suburban area. Crime rates are low, but I still want to be prepared with a system.

    We have four main windows and a front door and porch sliding door that could be accessed.

    What is the easiest and best option? My sister in law recommended ADT as that's what they use and it was easy to set up. I know ADT is likely pricier than other options.

    Key needs

    1) camera system, probably front door and back door at the least and maybe garage 2) panic button / alerting the authorities, whatever system can do that successfully 3) sensors on all possible break in locations (6 things then?) 4) app access and probably some sense of storage

    Truly that's all I know of. I like having video since I've had a random one for the last 3 years for my apartments

    Seriously, a company with install that's not super dumb expensive or if there's a GOOD brand product of self-install that works well. I was looking at Cove for security and Blink outdoor cameras as a possible option

    My parents who live a state away have Arlo cameras but that's it, no sensors etc

    submitted by /u/chargingblue
    [link] [comments]

    Smallest possible self contained panel with WiFi/LTE self-monitoring? (For portable-ness.)

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 01:15 PM PST

    Hi all,

    Bit of a weird project/build I want to experiment on. Costs are NOT an issue here.

    This is for a 'travel' setup that's going to be mounted in a Pelican case, possibly putting the panel out on a table or desk wherever I'm staying. Mainly -- hotel/AirBnB/etc monitoring on the go if I have to leave a room unattended.

    I want to build the 'smallest' self-contained alarm panel kit I can. I'd like to monitor one door and motion (and optionally, glassbreak). In terms of monitoring, I'd prefer self-monitored alarm notifications, no central station (because that's just impractical when on the move). Phone control a plus that I can grant/revoke access to as well for roomies. Comms might either be LTE (via communicator) or WiFi (via local hotspot I carry).

    What I'm thinking...

    • Is there a replacement for the 2gig Rely? Alternatively...
    • Honeywell L5200 + L5100WIFI + L57V and a vendor like AlarmGrid for Self Gold Cellular if I need cell access? ** Or, is there a smaller Honeywell self-contained panel?

    Thanks! <3

    submitted by /u/meowTheKat
    [link] [comments]

    What criteria should I evaluate for choosing a security system?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 12:08 PM PST

    Hello beautiful humans.

    Yesterday a car was broken into in our driveway, so it has us wanting to buy some kind of security system. As a novice, I'm trying to think of what sorts of things we should consider when evaluating our options. These are what I've thought of so far; I would appreciate feedback and input:

    • Cameras: a must-have
    • Prefer that camera feed is available from local network instead of requiring Internet access (i.e. if my ISP has an outage I still want to be able to see camera footage if my home network is still up) - is this even a thing nowadays?
    • Having door alarms vs. not
    • DIY vs professional service (I'm leaning toward the latter as I'm not a fan of drilling through floors/walls on my own, and definitely not familiar with running new electrical through my house)
    • Cost

    What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/mmusser
    [link] [comments]

    My review of Amcrest ASH42-W WiFi 4MP Outdoor Security Bullet Camera

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:18 AM PST

    My initial impression of this product compared to other wireless cameras I've owned was how well built it is. You can tell its made out of quality materials, its not some cheap plastic camera, its case is made out of metal and it feels like it will be safe and function outside for years to come.

    The setup was very straight forward and easy to use with their App. I was disappointed to read that the camera would not be able to be used with TinyCamPro app but I went ahead and tried to add it to TinyCamPro anyways and ended up getting it to work! Just go to scan for cameras and add it from there instead of trying to add a camera the normal way on TinyCamPro.

    Overall I was impressed with the Amcrest brand. I have several Wyze cameras and while they are cheaper the difference in build quality more than makes up for the additional cost of an Amcrest camera.

    submitted by /u/EckoSky
    [link] [comments]

    Self monitoring options

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 09:35 AM PST

    We became new homeowners last month and tried out Simplisafe (had a massive discount on Cyber Monday). But I ended up returning it because it turns out, SimpliSafe does not even send you simple push notifications to your phone if your alarms go off. You must subscribe to their active monitoring (~$20/month) to even get notifications.

    You do get some other active monitoring features with the subscription but I just wanted something that notifies me and I can take the required actions. My friends tell me Ring does give you notifications without a subscription but I am yet to look into it.

    Are there any other solutions out there that I don't need a monthly subscription for and can receive notifications on my phone if something trips the alarms?

    submitted by /u/phoenix1746
    [link] [comments]

    looking to secure my apartment, on a $300 budget.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:45 AM PST

    Hi! My apartment has one door facing the outside, with three windows all facing outwards towards the same direction as the door. I have curtains blocking all windows, in addition to the dual cylinder deadlock on the door at the moment. I was considering buying a fake security camera with those surveillance warning stickers, in addition to buying a deadbolt or two for the front door. I was also considering a real camera? Maybe to replace the existing doorbell. Let me know what you all think would work. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/dogiob
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment