• Breaking News

    Friday, January 15, 2021

    Home security: Are there any indoor cams that will work in a window?

    Home security: Are there any indoor cams that will work in a window?


    Are there any indoor cams that will work in a window?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:06 AM PST

    I want a camera to place in a window to point outside, but I know with a lot of the IR cameras, it's been stated that the nighttime reflection won't allow it to record well or at all. I mostly want it for daytime anyway but to have clear video from night as well would be a plus.

    Because of the location I need it in, it would be easy for someone to grab and dismantle (this has happened unfortunately).

    Edit: thanks for the advice. I'm now undecided between Eufy and Wyze

    submitted by /u/dcdc06
    [link] [comments]

    Amcrest AD110 Doorbell - STUPID

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 03:55 PM PST

    Why, why oh WHY would Amcrest allow you to put a SD Card in a doorbell only to still force you to pay a subscription to export files off the SD Card via network? What kind of idiocracy is this? Isn't the idea of a SD Card to alleviate the need for a "subscription"? So so SO tired of getting nickel and dimed on crap.

    Looks like a year ago I wasn't only one with this issue:

    https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f18/ad110-doorbell-event-download-from-micro-sd-t13449.html

    "Unfortunately, the only way to retrieve any footage from the SD card is to remove the card from the unit and use a computer and extract the footage from there. I have mentioned this to our R&D team and they are trying to activate the feature to download recordings to your phone from the app in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, I do not have an eta as o when it will be released. I apologize for the inconvenience. "

    Another example late last year: https://amcrest.com/forum/smarthome-feature-requests-f34/remote-download-of-microsd-files-t14411.html So so DUMB to require you to pay a subscription to export files off SD Card without physically removing it and toting it inside. It isn't super easy to get doorbell apart to get SD Card out.

    Anyone else had experience with Amcrest stuff? I have a few of their cameras and no complaints for the money but :-/

    submitted by /u/blaine07
    [link] [comments]

    Any suggestions on finding a reliable security camera installer?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 09:41 AM PST

    How do i set up more cameras in TinyCam?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 02:49 PM PST

    First time using the app, so I don't really know all the features.

    Well, I don't know too much about these stuff, my dad contacted someone to install a DVR system for our house, it works fine but probably was way overpriced for around $400.

    The camera is a Msonic Vision 2.0 megapixel Turbo HD AHD camera, model KDM-5703G, there are 3 cameras.

    The DVR is a Prismatic PRM-7508HD of 8 channels, I connect to it on my phone through XMEye with a QR code.

    These are probably Chinese and I've read here that I should disable the UPnP in the router because these Chinese brands might have a backdoor and it's probably streaming back to China, but if I disable the UPnP in the router the DVR won't have access to internet and i won't be able to see it on my phone. There's an option to disable the UPnP in the DVR which is disabled by default, but I don't know if it'll make any difference.

    And then there's the XMEye app that comes with the DVR, I mean I scan a code in the DVR which leads me to the play store. The app is awful in every way, when I lock my phone while using the app and then unlock it again the app will try to buffer the video for ever and the only way to fix it is by closing and opening the app again, and then I need to do like 3 or 4 steps before start watching the cameras, and now the devs started putting ads when you open it and you need to close the ads before you can use it. There's also some reviews saying that it might have spyware.

    So I wanted to use another app and found out tinycam, and when trying to add the DVR I couldn't find the model of it or the cameras so I just used the Scan network and was able to add it, but it only shows one camera, I think it's because there's only one IP for the DVR and it'll only show the camera that's connected to the port 1.

    I tried adding the DVR manually by selecting P2P in the "Choose camera brand" and below it ask me to scan the QR code, but it seems that the app only supports UIDs of 20 characters, and the QR that shows on my DVR only has 16.

    So how can i connect the other two cameras?

    submitted by /u/Utinnni
    [link] [comments]

    Skint, scared and being harassed - please reccomend me suitable a CCTV camera

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 12:49 PM PST

    I need an affordable camera that can operate without wifi and that can be mounted outdoors on a balcony, to provide a clear image to 2 stories down. I am furloughed from work (which wasnt making me much to begin with) so unfortunately I have little to spend. £60 is probably as far as I can go, maybe £80 if I really have to. If anyone can please help I would really appreciate it, I live alone and I'm petrified.

    To explain, I have an ongoing case of harassment with someone defacing my property. Theres no local CCTV so the police cant do anything right now. I'm 90% sure I know who it is, I just need video evidence to progress the case. There is nowhere useful or safe to put a camera on my home, so my neighbour above me has offered to let me put CCTV in there, which will face down onto my property where the problem is occurring. Neither of us have wifi (or can afford it), and it needs to go outdoors to be able see anything. I've tried looking for suitable cameras but I have no idea what I'm looking at, plus my brain is fried from the stress of all this. Everything seems way outside of my budget, but this is my only hope of getting somewhere with the police and putting an end to this.

    submitted by /u/JurassicBooty
    [link] [comments]

    Wound you put a camera to specifically monitor an egress window??

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:00 PM PST

    For my new house, I have a decent sized egress window in the basment (pic attached). I also have a walkout basment in the rear and have asked for prewire for PoE camera by that door.

    However, should I also put a PoE camera prewire to monitor the egress window?? Is this a common area for break-ins? Or would I be good with maybe a dummy camera or motion lights or other cheaper deterrents?

    The egress window is on the side of the house, with another house next to it (but not too close, fairly decent space in between). And it comes with the grate although I'm not sure how easy it is to remove that from outside?

    I've never lived in a house with an egress window so wanted to see what other people's experiences are. Thanks!

    http://imgur.com/gallery/3YnQosy

    submitted by /u/whiteorgo
    [link] [comments]

    Somebody is messing with my airplane. Need this communities advice.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:12 PM PST

    I have an airplane that I leave tied down outside. I have a full cover that covers the windshield, side and rear windows.

    I have one lock on the Pilot side, but its an older airplane so a little fidgeting wouldn't take much to open it. There is no lock on the copilot side. I don't leave anything of value in the airplane.

    The person keeps adjusting a couple of the instruments, moves things around in the backseat, and lately they left the fuel turned on. (No fuel leaked, but its good procedure / technique for leaving a parked airplane). I've taken pictures for my sanity to know that I left "this knob in this position" and etc. I thought I was crazy until I started taking the pictures.

    I've discussed it with the airport manager. He said there isn't much they can do and the cameras they have outside dont cover the area I park in. I asked what it would take to get new cameras installed and he said county approval (which I'm contemplating going to there next town hall meeting). I have a few friends that are always at the airport that are keeping an eye on it when they are there, but ultimately, its left outside, tied down, with some lighting. Hangars are sometimes available, but unfortunately way outside of the price range. ($120/month outside vs $800/month).

    Not really sure its feasible to put real locks on the doors as it gets complicated with the FAA and installing things that aren't certified for an airplane. I've thought about maybe a trail cam so that when the person would take the cover off it would trigger motion, and hopefully take a clear enough picture.

    Otherwise, I really don't know what to do. I do a thorough precheck every flight to make sure they didnt cut a fuel line or some other act of sabotage, but it's just a weird feeling.

    submitted by /u/spoolinup
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with catching a crime

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:38 PM PST

    Throwing this one out there, but my housemate and I live in a very new suburban and very nice area in a new city. The development we live on (I call it The Truman show) very family friendly and orientated community.

    Problem though. To sign the development off, a block of flats (6 in total and 2 storey high) were built to pass the requirements. One of the flats is used constantly as a check point for what we can tell is illegal substances. And has been confirmed by local authority.

    We have security cameras and alerted the police each time but we're needing to keep an eye out on the DL while also not drawing attention to ourselves. And the cameras we have cannot be angled towards them or it's a dead giveaway (plus illegal to record somebody else's property or driveway). What I was wondering is if anyone knew of any good HD, night vision cameras? We're struggling to see the number plates of vehicles coming and going (making different drops, and we don't want it in our neighbourhood). And this is causing some lack of sleep too for us and neighbours.

    Due to how close this house resides to the road and their driveway of the complex - Also the headlights shine straight through our top storey windows (both bedrooms) we can't discretely peak an iPhone camera through the curtain to record, let alone even cracking the curtains to see what's happening. We're trying to document it as much as possible for council and police to catch them.

    I've told my housemate to buy a Ring doorbell as this looks straight across and think it's within the legal zone given how close our house is to the road they drive past to enter and leave. However they can be expensive and aren't sure if they will get the job done.

    Any suggestions would be of great help. I was thinking of a cable camera potentially. I can position this discretely and record at night. If anyone knows of a good brand that could accommodate, or a better idea altogether, I'm open for suggestion.

    submitted by /u/tsunamadillo
    [link] [comments]

    $1780.00 USD for alarm and three cameras worth it?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:20 PM PST

    Three wired 5mp cameras, a new alarm system with front door, back door and motion sensor.

    How does this sound for $1780.00?

    submitted by /u/startreklasers
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment