• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 14, 2021

    Home Improvement: Save your lumber scraps - even short lengths can be useful.

    Home Improvement: Save your lumber scraps - even short lengths can be useful.


    Save your lumber scraps - even short lengths can be useful.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:12 AM PST

    I always thought my Pops was silly for saving practically every piece of 2x4 longer than 6". Turns out I'm a similar breed. I built these shelves from leftover 2x4 and 1x4 scraps, with shelf tops made from some 1x6 boards that were part of a crate I received when ordering windows.

    https://imgur.com/a/i7jWuCJ

    Felt great to put this stuff to use and I'm glad I saved it!

    submitted by /u/fantasyidiot1040
    [link] [comments]

    I interlaced new oak flooring (kitchen) with old oak flooring (dining room).

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:43 PM PST

    The flooring in my kitchen was in pretty bad shape. It was soft pine that had been painted black several times. Several boards were also splintered and so it had to go.

    There used to be a 6-inch wide board that ran perpendicular to the flooring that divided the kitchen from the dining room. I'm guessing this was done when a previous home owner removed the dividing wall between these rooms to open them up to each other.

    At first my plan was to keep this dividing board in place and simply add new flooring in the kitchen. But then I had an idea. Could I splice in new flooring with old? The answer was yes.

    After removing all the old pine in the kitchen, I used my circular saw to cut out the middle third of each oak board. Once removed, the groove side popped right out. The tongue side (with nails) took some more persuading, but eventually came out.

    Then I just lined up new oak boards in the tongue and groove and gently hammered them into place. Some slots were very tight! Because I couldn't use nails here, I made sure to put down some construction adhesive on the subfloor.

    This is definitely something a DIYer can do in a weekend. However, I hired out the sanding and staining due to time and logistical constraints. That took another whole week.

    I am very happy with the results. No one will ever know that it wasn't always like this. Cheers.

    Pics here.

    Sorry, I don't have a great before pic of the kitchen floor.

    submitted by /u/butterbrett
    [link] [comments]

    In the process of renovating my first house. Question about hardwood flooring.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:43 AM PST

    Hello r/HomeImprovement

    I moved into this ranch in December and immediately started tackling projects. The album gives more info on the projects but my question lies with hardwood flooring transitions. It currently runs perpendicular to our galley kitchen. I want to transition it to run parallel with it. Is there a way to make this looks nice? or should i just continue it with the pattern its in.

    I would purchase the white oak and have it finished the same way I did the rest of the floor.

    Thanks

    Warning: The first image in the album was supposed to be the last (and the place is messy sorry)

    link to renovation and floor in question

    submitted by /u/Effective-Offer6879
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else experiencing electrical box shortages?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:53 PM PST

    Went to 4 different home improvement/hardware stores today and they were all completely sold out of all sizes of old work boxes and Amazon delivery is a couple weeks out. If you're planning electrical work, better plan ahead!

    submitted by /u/fuzzy11287
    [link] [comments]

    Insulating under sunroom questions

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:17 PM PST

    Have an enclosed sunroom off a past back porch. Currently no insulation under floor. Under floor there is a crawl space to get under. Any guidance on this project? Material to use, installing methods etc. Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/adventuregalley
    [link] [comments]

    Oven part meltdown mystery?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:04 PM PST

    I pulled out my oven ignitor because it wasn't working. I found this. I have no idea what the hell happened. There was this burnt mass on both wires. I broke one apart with some pliers. Are those the remnants of a plastic wire nut?

    It looks like someone added spade connectors to this ignitor (what I'm about to do with my replacement ignitor) and they somehow melted. Looks like the insulation on the spade connectors also melted. I'm not sure where else the black stuff would have come from.

    I'm about to replace all of this, using the same ignitor and I'm going to replace the female spade terminals on my oven, but how can I prevent this from happening if I don't even know what caused it? These terminals and maybe wire nuts were in the oven's conduit box in the back, along with the rest of the connectors and wires on the harness. Everything else is fine except these parts.

    submitted by /u/Spyrothedragon9972
    [link] [comments]

    Recs for a driveway motion sensor?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:33 AM PST

    Is there anything that can alert or chime to let me know that someone has driven into my driveway?

    submitted by /u/dcdc06
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance came out to inspect.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:35 PM PST

    Had some shingles blow off of my roof the led to some water damage in my attic. Now we have mold in our attic.

    Mold company was out today to put dehumidifier in the attic and wait to hear from adjust in what they have to do for the roof. The plywood in two big areas is wet.

    An inspector came out to inspect my roof where the shingles blew off. They also walked the remainder of the roof and my shed. I notice they wrote with chalk on my roof in various areas. What's the purpose for that? One of The spots I was able to see said "2 layers".

    submitted by /u/iamslange
    [link] [comments]

    Another Update on bad roof install, roofer refusing to fix leak

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:54 AM PST

    I apologize for the very late update. Covid hit and closed the court house, and I just got disgusted with the whole thing and didn't want to deal with it, but now I need to. This is in North Carolina btw.

    I posted back around August 2019 about a bad roofing job:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/cqtemm/update_on_my_bad_roofing_job/

    To summarize: my roof was improperly installed, the flashing was not redone as we had agreed, and several leaks in the house while the roof was being put on. Oh, and the roofer was trying to charge me $3000 more than we had agreed!

    Well, the "roofer" sued me for not paying. I had tons of evidence of the roofer lying, etc., which the judge did not want to hear…

    The judgment stated that:

    1. The roof was improperly installed

    2. I had to pay the original amount we agreed on ($6000) plus my insurance deductible ($500). I'm not sure why this was added. Minus $1000 for damages(I had estimated $2000). So $5500 total

    3. The roofer agreed to a 15 year warranty on the roof and any interior damage that may be caused from leaks. Personally, not in their business name(which they have already changed).

    So, I paid.

    Since the roof had been installed, there had only been a brief 10 minute or so light rain, so no way to know if it leaked or not. Well, about 2 weeks after I paid we had a decent rain and the roof is leaking from at least 1 place and damaged/discolored another ceiling.

    I sent the roofer a text and they said someone would send someone out to fix it. Then kept making excuses and not showing. Finally sent me a letter saying my warranty had been rescinded because I had people on the roof that could have damaged it.

    These people that were on the roof were other roofers inspecting it, and one professional roof inspector from out of town because I couldn't get any local roofers to give me a written report. This all happened long before we went to court, and my roofer was fully aware.

    So, I put a tarp on my roof and that is how it has been for a over a year. What are my options now? Can I sue for not obeying the judgement? Any chance a lawyer would take this case on contingency? Should I sue for everything I paid, or more because of the damage? Get an estimate for the repairs and sue for that?

    TLDR: Bad roofing job, worse "roofer". Roofer Sued me for not paying for a bad roof. Judge agreed bad roof, but made me pay with the agreement that there would be a 15 year warranty. Roof leaked and roofer wouldn't fix it. Roofer claimed warranty invalid because I had people inspect the roof.

    submitted by /u/roofingwoes
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to let a window/door company install my entry door, or would I be better off getting it from home depot and have them install it?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 10:24 PM PST

    Hello everyone, I am located in Ontario, Canada and I had a reputable window/door company give me a quote of $2000 plus tax to get my front door replaced (They will also be installing my windows but there's a separate quote for that).

    Is it generally better in terms of value to let the window/door company install front doors, or would I be better off getting it from a department store and getting a handyman to install it?

    submitted by /u/yikemike
    [link] [comments]

    Drilling a hole into a bathroom vanity with laminate?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:21 PM PST

    I want to drill a hole into this bathroom vanity. Even though the specs only list cabinet material as "Engineered Wood,Solid Wood w/ MDF", the outer layer sure feels like some sort of laminate like melamine.

    Are there any special considerations when drilling through this kind of material? I don't feel confident approaching it like I would a standard wood cabinet.

    submitted by /u/brql
    [link] [comments]

    Remove and replace Adhered Concrete Masonry Veneer

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:29 PM PST

    We are thinking of purchasing a home in Culpeper, Virginia, that has Adhered Concrete Masonry Veneer (ACMV) or "stick on stone" on the front of the structure only. The other three sides are vinyl siding. We see some of the "stones" have come off, or are loose. If we purchase the home what is the average cost to remove this product? We then want to install vinyl siding. I am told the front of the house is approximately 16 squares, or 1600 sq ft.

    submitted by /u/Icy-Round2908
    [link] [comments]

    Shower faucet dripping.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:43 AM PST

    I have a delta faucet in my shower. It has a single handle that you turn it on with as wel as a separate lever to change the temperature. It drips when the water is turned off. What do I need to fix this?

    Would it be the cartridge or whatever it's called inside.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/whoaitsvass
    [link] [comments]

    Natural gas flow issues. Not sure who to call.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:06 PM PST

    This started with me trying to troubleshoot my pretty new (year old) water heater which the pilot light keeps going out. I have observed it going out while burning like someone was cutting off the flow. Sometimes it nearly goes out then comes back on. On a hunch I decided to test the kitchen stove as well and observe the same behavior in the burners on my stove. It seems like a pump or something pulsing and the pressure drops enough to make a burner go out.

    It's easier to show the stove, see below. But my real PITA is the water heater issue. I am not sure calling out a plumber would help since it seems system wide. Any ideas? Ever see this type of issue. I am not sure how to Google it. Flow drop? Thanks in advance!

    Video of stove

    submitted by /u/NerdyDIY
    [link] [comments]

    Is this the proper solution to mounting when studs don't line up?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:00 PM PST

    Seems like this would be a common problem, but I'm having trouble finding solutions.

    Purchased an IKEA Hemnes floating bookshelf bridge thing for the TV entertainment center, but not a single stud lines up with the bracket. If I sacrifice aesthetic and have it off-center to get at least one stud, it's still only 1/4 studs we'd need.

    Sounds like a solution is to get some wood or drywall, first drill that into the wall studs, then mount the unit to that external piece of wood. Am I crazy?

    submitted by /u/crumblies
    [link] [comments]

    Are roof drip edge supposed to be continuous?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:10 PM PST

    On the roof drip edge transition from the pitched portion to horizontal, is there supposed to be continuous overlap?

    Also, are there supposed to be holes in corner of metal flashing under the eave? and by the gutter? i circled it in red.

    Located in VA

    https://imgur.com/a/wCSdr0W

    submitted by /u/ChipOnTheCurb
    [link] [comments]

    Water heater trips garage GFCI; garage door and all outdoor outlets stop working. Please help.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:29 PM PST

    Hi there, I'm desperate for help here. We have been through 5 contractors who can't figure out what's going on.

    Whenever we've run hot water and the hot water heater cuts on our garage GFCI outlet trips and all our outdoor outlets stop working. It has been doing this for a year, but only recently we tracked down the culprit due to our outdoor Christmas lights cutting off.

    We had an electrician tell us this wasn't possible. He finally believed us after showing him multiple times. He replaced the GFCI outlet, still trips. He thought maybe the hot water heater was improperly grounded. We just had that replaced and it didn't fix the problem.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/praedatus
    [link] [comments]

    Viewed a property which has the chimney running through the living room, could you build a stone styled fireplace in to it?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:56 AM PST

    Building a deck, attaching frame at an angle

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:36 PM PST

    Hey folks! Building a deck with an angled side:
    https://imgur.com/a/KmjjfTI
    30' long for general scale.
    having the post square to the other frame pieces will make a 3/4" gap at the widest side. I needed to add this beam so that the joists wouldn't be cantilevered out too far (would be 2' on a 2x6) and so I can lag on my railing.
    Can I just add a shim of wood to take up the gap and lag through? Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/CapriciousTenacity
    [link] [comments]

    Sealing window tight corner

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:21 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/nW75VC3

    I'm looking to seal the window in this tight corner. There is about 1" between the frame and the corner. The door frame on the other wall also cuts my angle from being able to properly get at the corner of the window frame. I see why the builder didn't seal this...

    Edit: I ended up taping a bendy straw to the caulk tip and that worked like a charm! Thanks for the tips.

    submitted by /u/pinoyboy82
    [link] [comments]

    Roof advice

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:47 PM PST

    My husband and I are purchasing our first home at the end of the month. We had a full home inspection done and a more thorough roof inspection. The roof inspection failed (0-2 years of life) and the sellers agreed to replace it. They're cutting us a check for around 10k and we will pick what we want.

    This is where I'm struggling. We talked about a metal roof but I'm unsure of the pros and cons. They got the estimate done from a local roofing company for "20 year asphalt".

    I'm very lost on this! I don't know anything about roofs. It's a 2100 square foot main floor. Please help!! Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/cassser0ll
    [link] [comments]

    Painting drywall ceilings- looking for tips.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:28 PM PST

    Finally got the nasty drop ceiling down and should be done mudding and taping the drywall tomorrow, so I can paint it this weekend. Few questions- does anyone recommend two coats of primer? Or should I only do 1? Is there anything I need to do after finishing the sanding, but before primer? Do I need to sort of scuff up the drywall so the primer adheres? Any tips, suggestions, and/or advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/MacMike80
    [link] [comments]

    Offset toilet flange

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:13 PM PST

    Hello all. Just moved in to our new home about 5 months ago. Our guest restroom has a rather smaller (height) toilet and the wife wants to replace it with something a little more modern looking and larger. Toilet is right against the wall and the measurement from wall to bolts is 11 1/2" . The toilets she's interested in usually require 12" distance from wall to bolt and that's flush up against the wall as well so no room for adjustments. Long story short has anyone installed an offset toilet flange before ? Recommended ? Any issues ? Easy to install? I'm pretty handy for the most part and have done a ton of work around the house and have replaced a toilet at my parents in the past but I typically avoid plumbing. Thanks in advance .

    submitted by /u/DonEric619
    [link] [comments]

    Soldering smell in my bedroom

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:05 PM PST

    This morning I got a text from my girlfriend saying that she smelt a burning smell in our bedroom (around 11am). I told her to unplug everything and check to make sure nothing was up against the heater(we have baseboard heaters). The smell went away eventually. Around 6pm the smell came back and to me it smelt exactly like the smell of soldering. We had not plugged anything back in since the first time the smell appeared and the heater was still off. Not knowing what it was we decided to call the fire department. They came and checked it out, couldn't find anything and had no heat signature in the walls. They told us to start plugging things back in one at a time to see if a certain cord is producing the smell, and that's what we're currently doing. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if so what did you do? Also if this isn't the correct thread to ask this kind of question, what would be a good thread to check out? Thanks in advance!

    Edit: we've never turned on the baseboard heaters in our bedroom & we can only smell it in the bedroom

    submitted by /u/barby9
    [link] [comments]

    Did I make the right decision on a toilet buy?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:30 PM PST

    Toto Toilet from Home Depot

    Drake 2-Piece 1.6 and 0.8 GPF Dual Flush Elongated DYNAMAX TORNADO FLUSH Toilet in Cotton White with CEFIONTECT

    I just bought this from Home Depot because I will need a new toilet in a couple months for a bathroom reno. It was in today's "Special Buy" at $195 marked down from $264. I needed to jump on it quickly (one day only sale) before I could do much research. I'd like to find out quickly if I should cancel the order/return it or keep it.

    I know everyone seems to love Toto toilets. The 12" rough in is good. My main concerns are:

    1) Lots of reviews complain about the low water level in the bowl and streaks. I'm reading everything from "this is fixable" to "that's just how all new toilets are" when I google this problem. Any thoughts?

    2) I'd be happy buying the Toto II, but the cheapest one (full price) is $423 at Home Depot. Is there anything about the new version that would justify over $200 more? It's hard to trust some of the comparisons, because I think they may be outdated.

    3) In an ideal world, I'd like a concealed trapway for easy cleaning and a one-piece construction because I've read these are less prone to issues. Feels like those things are probably sacrificed to get a toilet that is nice in other ways and/or less than $500. Thoughts?

    Thanks in advance!!

    submitted by /u/FusionToad
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment