• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 17, 2021

    Home Improvement: My wife said "whoa, that came out great!"

    Home Improvement: My wife said "whoa, that came out great!"


    My wife said "whoa, that came out great!"

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:24 AM PST

    I'm a young DIYer. My dad didn't teach me how to do this stuff, so it often takes me a few times to do it right (and LOTS of trips to HD lol)

    It may seem silly, but I was repairing a few decent holes in the wall from removing a TV mount and afterwards she came over, ran her hand over the wall, and told me how great it turned out. That she couldn't even see where the holes were.

    .. Excuse me while I ride this high all the way to 2022, lol.

    submitted by /u/NHarvey3DK
    [link] [comments]

    Cement wall connected to my door partially crumbled while trying to install a new door

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 09:08 PM PST

    I recently attempted to install a new back door. One side of the door has the cement wall foundation up against the bottom 1/3rd of the door. While taking the old door out, the cement wall partially crumbled at the end near the door. https://i.imgur.com/pxgpugV.jpg

    Is there any way to fix this with the new door already installed?

    submitted by /u/MacGuffinmeansnothin
    [link] [comments]

    What are some ways to "future-proof" a home as it's being built?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 02:58 PM PST

    Wife and I are planning on building a house on some family land in Kentucky in the near future. I'm highly interested in self-sustainability and ecological efficiency and I want our home to show it. I want our house to still be considered 'modern' in 20-30 years. Some things I've read about:

    • Upgraded electrical wiring from standard 200 amp max to 400 or more amps (reasoning being there may be electronics that require more power that are yet to be invented)

    • Control panels for home automation, large battery packs + solar panels, smart climate control, security system, etc

    • Charging ports for electric cars inside garage

    What are some other ways/ideas to keep your home modern as long as possible? What are some cool features your house has that make your life easier?

    submitted by /u/ThatOneStoner
    [link] [comments]

    What product to use to close gap between molding and drywall

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 05:52 PM PST

    Pre-painted question, I have wall mounted molding with a small gap in it at the top. Could I use caulking to flll it or spackle?

    submitted by /u/AquaTiger67
    [link] [comments]

    Sealing holes around plumbing to lessen smoke smell from neighbors

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 02:34 PM PST

    There's a faint cigarette smell coming from the area of my condo where the washer and dryer are. The holes in the walls for the plumbing hookups are bigger than needed, so I think that may be allowing odor from other units (where ppl presumably smoke indoors). Is there a simple way for a non-expert to safely seal up the holes, or at least add some insulation? Thanks in advance, hope I'm making sense!

    submitted by /u/lucascatisakittercat
    [link] [comments]

    Electrical paint sprayer or spray gun + compressor?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:09 PM PST

    I am fixing my house. Want to paint fence, deck, doors, garage. Which kind of paint sprayer better and easier to use ? I think about Wagner 3000 or buy compressor plus spray gun. Or could I buy cheaper version for my needs?

    submitted by /u/Pashappaul
    [link] [comments]

    Slate tile in shower has water damage, do I need to replace it? (Chicago)

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 03:22 PM PST

    I moved into this condo in Chicago in 2015. The building was built in 2008 and I am unsure when the slate tile was put in. We have grey slate on the floor in the guest bathroom and multicolored slate on the shower walls, above the tub, and on the floor of the master bathroom. None of it was sealed and I was under the impression that it didn't have to be (pretty sure I was very wrong).

    Our master bathroom shower door (glass, swing open) was always a problem - water leaked out the bottom at the center and out the side corners. Not just a little leak, but like a cup of water after each shower. The door was always very dirty, the caulk (or silicone? unsure of the correct term) was pulling away. We tried lots of things to fix this and it never got better. We decided last year to remove the shower door and put up a new one. Unfortunately, the sliding glass door we bought (which was labeled as trimable to fit any opening) would not meet code, so we just put up a curtain. Still have problem with water getting out the corners, but it is only a little bit of water. I am finally getting around to preparing the shower for the installation of a new(er) door and want to fix everything (caulk and seal the tile) to look nice and new. We are planning on moving this year.

    The water has damage the slate tile at the corners of the shower, both on the wall and the floor outside of the shower . (Full album here)

    The worst corner has the slate swollen on the wall, with layers flaking. The caulk has pulled away, there is a crack in the baseboard from what I assume is water damage, the paint has been removed, and the floor tile is white and swollen where the water went. I can tell where the tiles have swollen because tapping it produces a very different sound and it feels like it has a different density, if that makes sense.

    The other outside corner is better, but that doesn't say much. A chunk of tile is missing, the wall tile is swollen (though not as bad), and the caulk has seen better days.

    The inside corners are both very moldy. The corner opposite of the shower is very discolored and the other one.....well, you can't even tell what it is supposed to look like.

    My questions are:

    1. Does the swollen tile indicate water damage that we should investigate (remove tile to check underneath)? Or do the awful inside corners indicate potential water damage? I know slate is very porous...
    2. What is the best way to remove caulk from slate? Is it feasible to remove and replace and still get a good seal for the corners and for the new door? From what I have read, you need to remove all of it so the new stuff can get a good seal, but I just don't see a way to get it 100% off of the slate without harming the slate.
    3. Can i seal the swollen slate or is it too far gone and I just need to replace it?

    With the pandemic, we will be lucky to sell this place for the price we bought it (nobody wants to move into the city when everything is closed and there is no office to commute to). I would much rather not put a lot of money into fixing the shower because we will be getting absolutely none of it back. BUT if there is damage, I want to fix it.

    submitted by /u/squeaksnu
    [link] [comments]

    Just trying to automate one light with Alexa for an elderly friend...

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 09:03 PM PST

    Short and sweet. An elderly neighbor has two dogs and can't see what they're doing at night. I've already replaced the old mercury vapor lamps she had with LED fixtures, but I'd like to install something that doesn't require her to walk to the switch in the dark. The switch would be about 20' from the house, and yes, there's a neutral.

    I want her to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the yard lights"... Preferably via replacement of a switch in a weatherproof enclosure outside in an existing box. Tested with my phone and there's a strong wifi signal.

    Looked at Gosund and some others on Amazon, and reviews are mixed. I just need something that this gal can yell at Alexa to turn the lights on and off when she takes her dogs out, and nothing more.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/bostonwhaler
    [link] [comments]

    About water hammer arrestors: two in a row?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 02:03 PM PST

    I installed one on the hot water line to my dishwasher to reduce water hammer noise. It reduced it quite a bit, but I'm wondering if another installed in line will provide even more reduction. I can't easily get to the piping Where I hear the noise (behind a shower), so I'd be putting it right next to the current arrestor.

    https://imgur.com/a/qIUY9uE

    Is there a reason I shouldn't? Hive mind, what's the verdict?

    submitted by /u/jwigum
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing shower copper pipes

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 02:52 PM PST

    Hello. I am renovating my bathroom and replacing a tub with a shower. I want to update my copper pipes as there are some welds on it. I was wondering if it would be better to replace it with PEX or copper.

    Current copper pipe is 3/4". If I would go with PEX, would you recommend 1/2" or 3/4"? Should I use the same size for the valve and for the shower head?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/magnumpl
    [link] [comments]

    Found this on a wall stud in our garage, is this mold?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:58 PM PST

    Home is a new construction and we just closed on the house this Friday and I missed this on the final inspection and so did the inspector I hired apparently.

    This is a stud in our garage, which is unfinished. If it is mold, is there a way for me to fix it?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/NVGmD02

    submitted by /u/Rich_Ad1662
    [link] [comments]

    Adding a bathroom question

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 08:42 PM PST

    I'm currently getting quotes to convert a garage into a new bedroom with a bathroom. The quotes I've received for just connecting to the sewer line are atrocious. I feel like I'm getting taken for a ride here with some of these.

    For context where the toilet and shower would go are both against the back wall. Literally 1 foot past that back wall and a few feet down is the sewer line. I literally added a clean out to it like a year ago. This is a slab (whole house is) so other than 3 hours worth of digging and punching a couple wholes in the concrete and refilling there isn't much work to do.

    Quotes on just the sewer lines are $3k+ for the above. Water lines are a separate item and were much more reasonable considering the source is 10 feet away and none of the finish work has been done (easy access).

    submitted by /u/Curious_Controller
    [link] [comments]

    Hanging drywall off cement

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:53 PM PST

    cement wall Just looking for advice on the best way to box this section in with drywall. Leaning toward liquid nails bc I'm concerned about cracking whatever is on the surface. Any info appreciated.

    submitted by /u/laflamablanca95
    [link] [comments]

    Acrylic panels keep falling off and completely breaking. What else could I do with this kitchen space?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 08:30 PM PST

    Pictures Here

    Bought this home 4 months ago.

    About a week ago around 3 am we heard a loud noise coming from the kitchen. We thought someone was trying to break in but it was just one of the acrylic panels that had decided to fall off the ceiling and shatter. Ugh.

    Today when we were attempting to put the replacement panel back on the other two slid off and shattered also.....

    They're not beautiful. They look and are cheap. I'm not crazy about them. What else can I do with this space? I'm not fond of the fluorescent lights. I don't really use them as we have other more warmer lighting in the kitchen.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/tibroot
    [link] [comments]

    ?Outdated Breaker Box

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:39 PM PST

    Hello, unfamiliar with this breaker style box.

    These are push button and not sure if older and out of code than the 'usual' flip over style breaker switch.

    This is from a 1940's house in Northern NJ.

    [IMG-6542.jpg](https://postimg.cc/CzSDM7Nt)

    submitted by /u/SwolNipple
    [link] [comments]

    Sill plates

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:39 PM PST

    Are sill plates required by international code? I live in Tennessee. Can a contractor omit this step in a home addition?

    submitted by /u/Aammpped
    [link] [comments]

    Garage floor clear coat recommendations?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:59 PM PST

    We just did our garage floor with a rust oleum epoxy kit. It came out great, to our surprise lol, but, the finish is rough. The color chips give it a very rocky texture and we really want something high gloss and smooth.

    Can anyone recommend a product? We're not handy at all and there's so many choices from Home Depot, not sure what to go with.

    submitted by /u/xavier_laflamme70
    [link] [comments]

    Shower faucet handle

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 02:58 PM PST

    My wife wants me to replace the trim kit for our shower faucet. I know you have to match up to the valve for this, but need a little guidance.

    I know it's an American Standard valve and single handle. Does anyone have any other information that would be helpful on how I go about finding new trim?

    Pictures of the valve:

    https://iili.io/KyH4oX.jpg

    https://iili.io/KyHPPs.jpg
    https://iili.io/KyHsKG.jpg

    submitted by /u/garf87
    [link] [comments]

    Messed up some anchors, need to cover and repaint, 1st time doing so

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:49 PM PST

    Hi everybody, I was mounting some stuff on the wall this evening and messed up the alignment. I'm now left with two small anchor holes that need repairing and repainting. I've been watching some videos on what I think I need to do with the drywall mud, but I'm worried about repainting afterwards. I have some leftover paint from the builders (it's a brand new house), but surely if I just paint over the repaired drywall hole it's going to be noticeable? Is there anything I should know or be doing to ensure I get as close of a match as possible? The wall colour is reposed grey if that helps?

    Also, any recommendation on the type of wall mud I shoukd use?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/mrcbtx
    [link] [comments]

    "lifting" a garage loft?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:36 PM PST

    Hey y'all,

    I'm looking at buying a house right now that has a loft above the garage. Currently, the loft is about5ft tall in the middle, and 3ft tall on each side. Sort of useful for storage, but not inconvenient.

    Would it be feasible to "raise" the loft? I.e. leave the roof as is, cut the studs, lift it, and fill in the middle to make it taller?

    Thanks y'all.

    submitted by /u/man2112
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone tell me how to apply this wall texture?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 05:22 PM PST

    I recently purchased a new home from DR Horton and made a mistake while routing cat-6 though my house. I have it all patched and ready to paint but I can't, for the love of god, figure out how to match this texture.

    Does anyone have a name for a roller or a gun that applies it? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Sanc7
    [link] [comments]

    Most efficient way to heat an apartment using electric radiators (UK)

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 11:16 PM PST

    I live in the UK and we have an electric-only apartment. It is a new build and it's always very very cold. We seem to be using a lot of energy every day (25KwH with the heating on for 3 hours in the morning and the boiler on for 4 hours a day, plus daily life).

    My question is, with an electric radiator system, is it more effective (and cheaper) to have the heating on for a shorter period but at a high temp, or have the heating on low throughout the day?

    We also have issues with condensation and a bit of damp which I think are partially due to just how cold the flat is usually.

    PS. I'm not on an economy 7 meter.

    submitted by /u/Theogon
    [link] [comments]

    Warming Up the Garage

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:15 PM PST

    So I have a pretty basic 500sq ft garage. Cement floor. Drywall with external facing on three sides. Absolutely no insulation except for the internal wall.

    And it gets super freaking cold.

    My spring project is going to be redoing the whole thing. I'm going to add an epoxy floor and cabinetry, redo the walls and ceiling drywall, build a pantry closet and add a sink (with plumber help), but the last decision I have to make is whether I want to improve the temperature and by how much.

    I'm ok with adding the insulation everywhere, and the floor not being just concrete should help. I'm not looking for 70 degrees, but 55. I'm in Philadelphia so our nights in the winter get into the low 20s at the worst. Days are 30-40 in the winter.

    So questions are this:

    • How much will insulation in the walls and ceilings help? There is no heat source in the garage. I'm willing to insulate everywhere.
    • Am I crazy to consider a ductless mini split unit? Will I be able to maintain my desired temperature? The benefit here is that if I was going to work in the garage for a period of time in the winner, I could bump it.

    I'm bad with hvac. Not the work, I can do a lot of the work, but the systems planning. I'm going to have the walls down, so if I needed to run some flexible ductwork, I could. These units seem pretty cheap, but I don't want to install something that's not going to work.

    Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/Joefedorowicz
    [link] [comments]

    Low voc paint with no ventilation

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 11:00 PM PST

    So i bought low voc paint primer and no voc paint thinking they were both no voc paints. Its winter time right now and i had no windows opened. I had difficulty breathing and became very dizzy and i didnt know why because thought they were both no voc paints. After finishing painting everything with the primer and paint on top of that primer, i rechecked the primer and it was low voc. Do i have to go to the doctor soon? My wheezing and asthma has not stopped. how long does it take for me to sleep in that room again? And also i have a cat but she has not entered that room at all. Will she be okay being in the other room with me?

    submitted by /u/cheerypanda
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment