• Breaking News

    Friday, January 22, 2021

    Home Improvement: [CONTEST] The "2,000,000 Subscriber" date Guessing Game.

    Home Improvement: [CONTEST] The "2,000,000 Subscriber" date Guessing Game.


    [CONTEST] The "2,000,000 Subscriber" date Guessing Game.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 06:46 AM PST

    So, here's the deal – just last year we hit 1 million subscribers after 12 long years as a community. This year, we are on pace to double that and we are getting close to 2 million subscribers. The mods of /r/HomeImprovement are amazed at how much the community has grown, and yet still manages to maintain a personal charm unparalleled on a majority of Reddit.

    Predict the day we will reach this milestone!

    We have about 1.67 million subs at the time of this posting. I pulled our subscriber numbers from the past few weeks from which to run your AI-enhanced machine learning prediction models. Good luck!

     

    RULES:

    1. Only one entry per redditor
    2. User must have posted or commented at least once in /r/homeimprovement before the datestamp on this post.
    3. Entries will be open until Wednesday, February 17 at about noon Central Time (-6 GMT).
    4. Any edited posts will be removed. Your first guess is your only guess.
    5. Date must be formatted in numerical US date formatting (i.e. mm/dd/yy). This will make it easier for us to parse through the numerous guesses to determine which is the closest. If your guess is not in this format, we take no responsibility for missing it.

     

    PRIZES:

    1. No reddit coins, bronze, or platinum of any kind.
    2. A $250 gift card to Home Depot (*or reasonable alternative)
    3. Some sweet, sweet karma.

     

    *The gift card will be from Amazon, Home Depot, Lowe's, or a some reasonable alternative – we don't want to exclude our international redditors either. Should multiple people select that date, a random drawing will be held. Donations were made on behalf of the mods to provide the prizes. If anyone wants to contribute to a larger prize pool, please PM the mods!

     

    We'll try and keep the post stickied until we hit the mark. Thank you all for helping make this such a great place for us to respectfully love (or hate) our homes. We wouldn't be the community we are today without you guys.

    Sincerely, the Mod Team of /r/HomeImprovement .

    submitted by /u/AmateurSparky
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone with experience using a bathroom exhaust fan that has built in speaker?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 04:20 PM PST

    My wife loves listening to music while in the bathroom. I was looking into those exhaust fans that have a speaker built in and thought it would be a good gift. Wondering if it's worth the money.

    submitted by /u/the__dude__abides_
    [link] [comments]

    Any good websites for designing a room before you remodel?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 03:29 PM PST

    I'm redoing a bathroom and want to test some tile and cabinet looks together.

    submitted by /u/pax-augusta
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be worried about this crack all along my ceilings?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 10:27 AM PST

    Hey there,

    Bought this house about 1.5 years ago. We've noticed a couple shoddy jobs here and there but nothing too serious. The previous owners had hired engineers and a roofing company to re-pitch the roof and get a bit more height in the upstairs loft area (11' ceilings now), they did this about five years ago prior to selling.

    We repainted the entire home when we first moved in and now we are noticing this alarming crack that runs all along the upstairs loft ceiling. The crack also goes around corners too and has some instances of vertical cracks coming down the wall. It's still pretty thin (1-2 mm) but has grown in width since we first noticed it (maybe 0.5 mm)

    Should I be concerned?

    https://imgur.com/a/3bcjREb

    submitted by /u/Calpy
    [link] [comments]

    What profession(s) do you hire to inspect land for development?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 04:53 AM PST

    Hello,

    I've always wanted to buy a forested lot, and plop down a tiny house or small cabin as sort of a weekend getaway/retirement shack. I figure at first I can just buy the lot, camp on it for a bit until I get to 'know' it and decide on a location for a building. But I have only purchased actual developed property, so I'd like someone who could give me input on:

    • Building access roads if one does not exist
    • Running electrical
    • Septic tanks, placement, ability of trucks to get up road, etc.
    • Is well water a possibility? Water rights?
    • Drainage
    • Is the soil going to be a problem (e.g. is it sand or bedrock which would make septic/stable foundations difficult).
    • Advice on permits/legal issues (I know a good real-estate lawyer, but someone who knows what kind of permits you need to get issued and can assist with the bureaucratic stuff, or knows off hand that an area might not allow tiny houses w/o a real foundation, etc).

    Is there a profession or professions that usually assist with this?

    submitted by /u/Mogaribue
    [link] [comments]

    How to get uniform texture on a wall when repainting over repairs?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 03:20 PM PST

    I made some repairs to my drywall and decided to repair the whole basement. I did some spot tests after choosing a color, even bought Benjamin Moore paint to be sure I get good quality.

    Problem is the texture of the wall is not uniform at all where I spot tested it. Especially where there are repairs. See these pictures.

    How can I get a uniform finish? Also is it possible to make the old paint less heavily textured? Like sanding or adding primer? I like the texture I get from the old paint over my smooth repairs, but over the old paint it's so much less smooth, I don't know how to describe it though.

    It's my first big paining project, so I have a lot to learn I assume

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/danishbanjo
    [link] [comments]

    What should I look for to know if my roofers are doing a good job of I'm nervous about quality control?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 07:32 PM PST

    I'm having a new roof put on my 120 year old house and my neighbor is letting the workers use his driveway to place their ladders and toss down their garbage. I told the workers 3 times they need to make certain to clean all the nails out of the driveway, but after they left I found about 50 roofing nails scattered on his driveway.

    And now I'm anxious about the rest of their work; if they'll half-ass the stuff on the ground what does their work look like on my third floor roof? How can I tell if they're doing a good job? It's a composite roof, if that makes a difference.

    Thanks for the help.

    Edit: This is a house in the Kansas City. Three story house with dormer windows on the third floor.

    submitted by /u/djlovepants
    [link] [comments]

    High Efficiency Tank Water Heater vs Regular

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 03:28 PM PST

    I'm in the process of getting rid of a rental water heater and am looking to switch it. I see a lot of questions about tank vs tankless but not much about high efficiency tank water heaters. The one currently installed has a 94% efficiency rating. The one's I'm seeing at HomeDepot have a rating of about 67%. The difference in cost between them is around 2k~. Not sure if I'll really see the savings and just go for the 67% or if the high efficiency is really that much better. Was thinking of going with tankless but I heard it'll crap out quickly with hard water so I would need to get a water softener if I were to go that direction over the high efficiency tank. Anyone have any experience with seeing the difference between the two tank types of tank units?

    submitted by /u/nudes_through_tcp
    [link] [comments]

    Washer/dryer floor location

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 03:35 PM PST

    Right now, my washer and dryer are located in the master bathroom on the second floor of my house (where the bedrooms all are). My dream is to put in a nice but reasonable walk in shower. For it to work, it would eat up the space where the WD are stacked. Is relocating the WD in favor of a nice walk in shower worth the hassle and investment? I'd hate to make a choice like this if it would hurt resale value. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/jammcatt
    [link] [comments]

    RTA cabinets

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 08:54 PM PST

    Hello all, do any of you have any experience with RTA cabinets? I'm looking to redo my kitchen but don't want to spend a fortune doing so. The RTA cabinets seems like a great alternative but I don't know what a decent brand is. Everyone I seem to start liking I find horror stories about. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Crakerjack14
    [link] [comments]

    Installed new "white" quartz countertops, however they don't appear as white from when we saw it in shop after being installed. Anything we can do?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 02:03 PM PST

    We recently installed new white quartz countertops in our kitchen, and while we picked out what we thought was a nice bright white color at the store, after installed they appear yellowish with a bit of grey. Any ideas on what we could do to make them whiter?

    Here's an image

    submitted by /u/dre2112
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom exhaust vents into the attic instead of outside, not sure how to fix.

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 02:37 PM PST

    I had a home inspection done and the inspector found that the bathroom exhaust vents into the attic and not outside and I need to get that fixed which I'm not sure how to do. The other tubing in the picture that is venting outside is connected to the furnace. Can I splice the bathroom exhaust tubing into the furnace exhaust? Maybe with a 3-way connector or something?

    Edit A sincere thank you to all the replies. I suspected splicing the bathroom exhaust to the furnace exhaust was a mistake but figured I'd ask anyway just in case it could be done. I've decided that potentially killing myself by letting hazardous fumes back into the home is not the best idea. I'll watch/read all the recommended things people have linked and decide at that point whether to just call someone or not.

    To answer some things mentioned, I do not live in a cold environment so I'm guessing insulated venting isn't needed. And I've maybe actually turned it on only a handful of times in the last 10 years so I don't think any mold from the exhaust venting into the attic would be an issue.

    submitted by /u/mertchicken
    [link] [comments]

    Mason just installed cement board before installing thin brick veneer. There are gaps between most boards. Is this acceptable?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 05:26 PM PST

    There are many gaps in recent cement board install by contractors. I can even see into my attic and realize the light has been left on up there.

    they said they will just fill it in with tape/MVIS. Is that all it needs? Just some mortar?

    View Pictures

    Click the link above to view pics

    submitted by /u/coronanabooboo
    [link] [comments]

    Drilling through glass tile

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 08:49 PM PST

    I'm looking for thoughts on the best way to drill a hole through a glass tile. I've had a contractor replace the wall tile in my bathroom with a glass tile and I love the way it looks. The only problem has been drilling holes to screw in the towel rod (for hand towels) and toilet paper holder.

    The towel rod screws in 2 ends and the toilet paper holder in 1. After the initial install, one of the hand towel rod ends produced a stress fracture in the underlying tile and so did the toilet paper holder. My contractor immediately noticed this and came back to replace both tiles an re-install the fixtures. After that happened, a new stress fracture has developed in the same place on the replaced tile under the hand towel rod.

    His theory on the first set of cracks was that the screws were too wide so he used smaller ones this time and he used a different drill bit. Now that it's happened again I'm personally at a loss. He's coming back for unrelated work so I'm not concerned about getting him back here, one just concerned about the process of drilling through these tiles. Any advice would be appreciated IMMENSELY.

    submitted by /u/A_Ahai
    [link] [comments]

    Tile backsplash or kitchen hood first?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 01:48 PM PST

    I am in the final stages of renovating my kitchen. One of the last steps is mounting the kitchen hood. My only dilemma is whether to install the hood first and then cut the tile and place it around the hood or place the tile backsplash first and then mount the hood directly onto the tile? Will the tile be able to hold the hood safely or mounting to a wall is better in terms of holding strength?

    p.s. I am saying tile and not tiles, since I will be installing only one tile which has a size of 60cm x 80cm, more than enough to cover the entire area that the hood will take. Final note, the tile is 1cm thick. I apologize to those who do not use metric measurements. 😅

    submitted by /u/joand001
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to fix squeaky stairs? Possible to fix squeaky floors?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 06:55 PM PST

    The stairs leading to the upstairs are horrendously squeaky, as is the main hallway in our bungalow. I work night shift, and coming home at 5am is an obstacle course to step only on the edges closest to the walls, lest i wake up the 9 month old boy and open a whooooole can of worms.

    The stairs and hallway both squeak when putting weight in the center. The stairs are finished with drywall underneath so adding wedges on the risers at the base of the treads would be a whole fiasco.

    Would screws down through the tread into the riser be enough to mitigate the noise? What can be done about the hallway floor? Both are uncarpeted hardwood, but the hallway is composed of 1" slats.

    submitted by /u/Roughly_TenCats
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom tile options

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 08:24 AM PST

    Hi, I am currently in the process of doing a minor renovation to a bathroom in my 1960s house. It doesn't get much use right now but I'll be using it more in the future so I wanted to do something low cost and get rid of the pink tile. I currently have the vanity and toilet taken out.

    My original plan was to paint the tile a gloss white with patio paint or epoxy. I don't mind doing the prep work and sanding, but after researching more a lot of people don't like the painting solution.

    Now I'm also looking into the peel and stick tile. With this I'm concerned how well it will look and feel. Also a little more work but nothing crazy.

    Also theres the vinyl plank flooring. I've installed this in my basement and the process was pretty easy but I would be worried about water being able to get under the floating floor and the increased floor height.

    Looking for potential solutions or recommendations.

    pictures

    The bathroom is a very awkward space with just under 80 sqft of tile.

    submitted by /u/Raptorz69
    [link] [comments]

    How screwed am I

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 04:45 PM PST

    Just looked in the crawl space behind my bathtub. How do I even start? Feeling overwhelmed. I'm thinking the black stuff is mold?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/WqOLzFh

    submitted by /u/businessOnlyRdt
    [link] [comments]

    Laying pavers on an angle

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 08:25 PM PST

    I want to lay pavers next to my driveway so I can step out of my car and not have to step in grass. But the driveway is angled.

    I'm thinking of pouring a concrete slab, laying it down and then laying pavers on top of it.

    Are there better/easier methods?

    submitted by /u/Tampadev
    [link] [comments]

    Strong ropes

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 05:48 PM PST

    I need to hang something really heavy and I want to make sure it stays held while I complete my project. I've had issues in the past with rope that untie while I'm working (I suck at nots). Would a traditional rope or nylon rope be better? I'm also concerned about slipping due to the nylon.

    submitted by /u/Crispy_Lechon
    [link] [comments]

    Differences of Panasonic Whisper line?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 07:17 PM PST

    Anyone know the differences of the Panasonic Whisper lines?

    Like WhisperCeiling, WhisperSense, WhisperGreen, WhisperThin, etc...

    I am thinking of buying this specific one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panasonic-WhisperCeiling-DC-fan-with-LED-lights-Pick-A-Flow-Speed-Selector-50-80-or-110-CFM-and-Flex-Z-Fast-install-bracket-FV-0511VQL1/303672801#product-overview

    But they also have the WhisperThin line which is cheaper and just doesn't have a nightlight, which I don't care too much about:

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panasonic-WhisperThin-Pick-A-Flow-80-or-100-CFM-Exhaust-Fan-with-LED-Light-Low-Profile-Ceiling-or-Wall-and-4-in-Oval-Duct-Adapter-FV-0810RSL1/307888073

    Is because it's thin means it might not work as efficient as the first one I linked?

    submitted by /u/scourgethecid
    [link] [comments]

    What order do I do the renovation?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 06:19 PM PST

    House built in 1958, upper Midwest. Just bought it at the end of 2019 edit: 2020. We bought it knowing the basement had a mold problem due to flooding (I'll be addressing the flooding by adding soil to the landscaping to increase sloping away from the house and replace all the gutters and downspouts, etc.). The mold removal/clean up is on the verge of completion; right now the air is being tested for mold spore levels, which I should find the results next Monday.

    The mold mitigation involved the removal of all the laminate flooring, two feet of drywall all along all the walls in the basement, and the removal of the standing kitchen cabinets (the basement was used as an apartment).

    So the goal is to restore the basement to much like it was. However, before any real construction, we are updating the electrical panel from a Zinsco 100 amp panel to a Square D QO 200 amp panel and installing a radon mitigation system.

    Once those two things are completed I'm left wondering what order I do things in terms of best practices and ease of doing the renovation. Here was my hypothetical order:

    1. Install Square D QO 200 amp electrical panel

    2. Install radon mitigation system

    3. Install the standup kitchen cabinets on the concrete floor

    4. Install the flooring (I'm thinking CoreTec vinyl? I'm open to suggestions), but ensuring the standup cabinets remain on the concrete, not on the vinyl flooring

    5. Install wall paneling or wainscoting where the 2 feet of drywall was cut out.

    Does this order make sense? Any feedback is welcome, I'm a complete newbie, thanks!

    submitted by /u/HandsomePete
    [link] [comments]

    Help! My LED light strips stopped working

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 08:02 PM PST

    Not sure this is the right place to post this, but if any of you could help me out that would be great! :)

    I recently purchased Kiko Smart LED Strip Lights and they worked great for a couple days when suddenly I went to turn them on and they are no longer working. A couple notes on the issue...

    -the lights connect to my phone via Bluetooth and apparently they are still connected -When I replug in the class 2 power supply they will flash on for a second and go back off -The lights are apparently 12V and the class 2 power supply says the output is 12V and I just have it plugged into a typical house outlet

    Any thoughts on what the problem could be? Would it be fixed by purchasing a new class 2 power supply plug?

    submitted by /u/Psychological-Ad1707
    [link] [comments]

    Backyard renovation

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 12:57 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I am currently house hunting and found a lovely home, everything inside it beautiful! But the backyard is a big yikes, no greenery and it looks like it's been covered in gravel. A backyard is important to us and we'd be willing to put in the work to fix it if we are successful with the offer. But to be honest, I have no idea how big or small of a task this is. Did some Googling today but I'm not sure if I'm even searching for the right things.

    Here are two pictures but don't know exactly the size of the space unfortunately so it's hard to get a quote: https://imgur.com/a/8Dnhh90. Does anyone know if this is going to be a bigger headache than it's worth? Or it is a relatively cheap and easy fix? We've heard some horror stories and wouldn't want to end up paying for an amazing house and a problem backyard. One of the reasons we are moving is to leave the city and finally have some green space so it would be a deal breaker if that is not in the cards for this home. I'd really appreciate any resources, guidance or advice you have.

    Updated photos (the last ones were too small): https://imgur.com/a/Gnbtfbg

    submitted by /u/thesmallbrownbear
    [link] [comments]

    I Need To Replace a Privacy Fence - Seattle, WA

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 11:08 AM PST

    What are the first steps I should take when planning to replace a privacy fence? My property is a corner lot that borders a neighbor on two sides and a city street on the other two sides.

    Do I need to pay for a property survey to find the exact property line?

    Talk to the neighbors about splitting costs/design?

    I've already determined that no permit is required if the fence stays below 8ft which is the plan.

    submitted by /u/coastal_tider
    [link] [comments]

    What type of countertops would you guys recommend if looking to keep knotty pine cabinets?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 07:13 AM PST

    We like our knotty pine cabinets. They are well built and add character to the home. However, we don't want everything to be retro. It's hard to find anyone who has mixed these retro cabinets with a more modern countertop and backsplash selection.

    edit* the link below is NOT our kitchen - just an example that shows similar cabinets

    Our cabinets look like this (similar medium color too): https://retrorenovation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/knotty-pine-kitchen.jpg

    We would like some sort of backsplash and counters that brighten the space. However, it's hard to decide when we can't find anyone who has done this. We would prefer a long-lasting countertop option like stone. However, I know that stone can busy and could conflict with the knotty wood grain. I have seen that instead of laminate that some tile is used but that seems like a nightmare to upkeep. Butcher block seems like a neat option but also might be hard to maintain and probably too much wood.

    Curious to get some ideas. The last thing we want to do is just paint it all white and lose the character and history it brings to our home.

    submitted by /u/JayReddt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment