• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 17, 2020

    Home security: Wiring and Camera advice for New-Build Detached Studio/Office in Backyard

    Home security: Wiring and Camera advice for New-Build Detached Studio/Office in Backyard


    Wiring and Camera advice for New-Build Detached Studio/Office in Backyard

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 02:35 PM PST

    I'm building a new, detached backyard studio (office / storage) and would like to add a single security camera. The shed has full power and I will be running several cat6 cables from the house to the shed via a conduit.

    Interested in advice on which camera to select and what wiring I should put in place to accommodate the camera (and/or potential future cameras). I'm running an ethernet cable up to the planned camera location. Planning to run power to the camera location as well, but I'm not sure whether to install an outlet on the interior (high up on the wall) an outlet on the exterior of the building or a light junction box on the exterior of the building.

    I've looked mostly at Ring/Google cameras given they are consumer-friendly, but have been surprised that they don't seem to contemplate new-build installation. They seem to require exterior outlets or wireless which seems like a poor way to go for a new build. It think only the ring stick up cam POE offers a complete wired installation in those families, but even then the cord doesn't seem to be designed to tuck in cleanly behind the mount.

    I don't have any cameras in my home currently, but do have a ring floodlight cam at my cottage. I also have a Synology NAS DS218+ on my home network that I could presumably use to help manage the new camera but concerned it may lack the ease of use and remote monitoring I'm used to on the ring app.

    One advantage of going with Ring is that I could easily replace an existing outdoor light on my house with a Ring floodlight and point it towards the studio in addition to having the planned camera on the studio facing towards the house.

    So.. to summarize:

    1. What camera do you recommend (offering clean, wired installation and ease of use)? Currently leaning towards Stick Up Cam POE
    2. What wiring should I put in place to service the camera location? Leaning towards Ethernet cable and indoor outlet
    submitted by /u/RobRoyCanuck
    [link] [comments]

    Axis cameras IP rating

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 07:21 PM PST

    Looking to buy the Axis P3245-LV or LVE, the lv is only IP52, and the LVE is IP66. I noticed that the LVE comes with the weather shield were as the LV does not.

    Is the weather shield the only thing changing the weather rating?

    submitted by /u/Hungry-Line-1403
    [link] [comments]

    Which cameras only use bandwidth when motion triggered?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 10:30 AM PST

    Do many camera systems only use bandwidth when they detect motion?

    Do Wyze and Blink use internet bandwidth all the time? I'm looking for a 4 camera setup for a relative and they don't want to exceed their bandwidth caps if four are streaming all the time.

    If one goal is to eliminate monthly costs, is there a clear winner that will not consume bandwidth around the clock but would still alert remotely on motion with a picture or clip?

    Thank you for the guidance.

    submitted by /u/SeanVo
    [link] [comments]

    Moving out of Manhattan soon. What should I know before moving to the suburbs?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 06:59 AM PST

    Hi guys. I grew up in a country where guns are illegal. But I understand that it is pretty common to own one for security. Does everyone in the suburbs own a gun? I see homes with just glass and wonder how is that safe? How do you guys stay safe? I have been living in an apartment in Manhattan for over ten years, so this is my greatest fear.

    I'm looking to buy a home in NJ or NY since I have to commute once or twice a week to work.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/IndissolubleTragopan
    [link] [comments]

    DSC alarm screen goes blank

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 02:29 PM PST

    I bought a home with pre-installed security wiring and alarm control panel (DSC, PC1616/PC1832/PC1864)

    For some reason when I press "" - screen goes completely blank. Screen itself seems to be working fine as I can see the time just fine. Also actual functionality also seems to be fine since I tried to change the time (2-> master code -> hhmm ddmmyy-> #) and it did update the time correctly. One problem - is I did it fully blind as screen went completely blank as soon as I pressed "*" at the beginning.

    Anyone knows what might be going on here and how to fix it?

    submitted by /u/Cell-Impressive
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment