• Breaking News

    Friday, November 6, 2020

    Home security: New house with cameras, how to get them working?

    Home security: New house with cameras, how to get them working?


    New house with cameras, how to get them working?

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 07:18 PM PST

    Hi group,

    I just moved into this house that has security cameras and a Honeywell HRHH1081.

    Checking the connections in the back there are 5 cameras plugged in. Connected to power right next to it there are two AC adapters labeled with locations. I only know of two cameras so having two plugged in to power makes sense, the rest might be abandoned somewhere.

    I connected a monitor to the Honeywell and it brought me to a Startup Wizard so I followed that through using the manual and it showed a screen where I would presume 8 video feeds would go. I'm expecting 2, but I see nothing. I poked around the settings a bit but still can't get anything to show up. The only thing I didn't do was connect it to the network. Is that required?

    Suggestions?

    https://imgur.com/a/yRmp96e

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/RedTical
    [link] [comments]

    Getting started with Reolink and Shinobi

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 07:46 PM PST

    You could call me a..... Shinoobi. : )

    After a little, but probably not enough, research I picked up a REOLINK RLC-52 Camera. My plan was to get it working with Shinobi and expand on my system from there.

    First surprise was that my existing switch won't supply power over Ethernet. Watched a few videos and will probably pick up a Cudy 6 Port Ethernet PoE+ Switch.

    Does anyone have any tips on getting started? Any good Youtubers or websites focusing on Shinobi and Reolink cameras? Preferring to avoid a couple hundred dollar Reolink NVR. Would rather roll my own.

    I have Shinobi installed on fresh Ubuntu install.

    Have done some Googling but haven't stumbled across anything basic enough. I'm a fairly technical guy but... hmmm.... just a bit overwhelmed.

    submitted by /u/robotmonstermash
    [link] [comments]

    PIR Recommendations for a House w/ +100lbs Dog

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 08:02 PM PST

    I have upgraded to a Vista 21IP-LTE with the pre-existing PIR sensors. I suspect they are ~20 years old. I would appreciate advice on utilizing PIRs with a +100lbs dog and a cat. What are my options? What do I look out for and how do i test? I currently have two hardwired PIRs (master bed room and the family room) that I'm concerned about. I don't know if flipping them over would work because the MBR PIR faces the bed which the dog can stand on & the family room has a cathedral ceiling and a portion of the 2nd floor hallway overlooks the room which the dog has access to. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/jay_sugman
    [link] [comments]

    Need help installing Lorex Security system

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 07:44 PM PST

    Hello, I just got a new built with preinstall wiring for security cameras outside. However, the cat5e cables were not crimped so I had to do all the crimping for them. When I plug everything in, the cameras are not being detected by the NVR so I'm trying to figure out if maybe I'm crimping the wires in a wrong arrangement or what's wrong here.

    This is the security system that I bought from Costco: https://www.costco.com/lorex-4k-uhd-8-channel-fusion-nvr-security-system-with-8-smart-deterrence-4k--cameras.product.100675117.html

    Here's the pictures of the setup: https://imgur.com/a/7O1FRAr

    submitted by /u/ckmninja
    [link] [comments]

    Which IQ 2+ panel to get?

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 10:58 AM PST

    Hi there! I'm in the market to replace my security service provider and my panel while I'm at it. I got a Qolsys IQ panel when I signed up with LiveWatch years ago, and now that they're owned by Brinks the service has just gotten too expensive for what we're getting and what I'm not able to do on my own. My plan is to replace Brinks with Surety Home, and replace the IQ panel with an IQ 2+ from Surety Home as well. The problem is I just saw this post and discovered that there are two versions of the IQ 2+ panel. The one I was going to get was model number QS9201-1208-840. Would this be compatible with most sensors, or will I have to get special sensors to replace the ones I have and get them to work with the panel properly? I'm working at the moment, otherwise I'd go try and find the model numbers of the sensors, but they're the ones that came with the Qolsys IQ panel we got years ago.

    Also, has anyone had any luck trying to resell one of those older panels? It feels a waste just to e-waste the panel, even though it's obsolete at this point.

    submitted by /u/TwoWheelAllTheThings
    [link] [comments]

    Issue connecting Sensors to IQ Panel 2+

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 06:35 AM PST

    I bought an IQ Panel 2+ from Surety to replace an ADT DSC Impassa panel that was previously in the home we bought. There are also several WS4945 & EV-DW4927SS sensors already installed in the home. I can not get any of the sensors to show up on the IQ Panel when I go to auto learn sensors. I have tried taking out the batteries and putting new ones in & tampering with the sensors, but none of them ever show up. I thought they were compatible with the panel before I bought it, but maybe I was wrong. Does anyone know why they might not be showing up? Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/w111jwr
    [link] [comments]

    Video Doorbell suggestions?

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 06:24 AM PST

    Looking for a good video doorbell. Ideally want something that detects motion, lets you talk through it, can be installed easily and does not necessarily need to work with an existing doorbell (I'm not sure if there is one at the new place.)

    We may or may not want to link it to a security system from the same company. I was looking into Ring and Simplisafe, but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

    Also, what is the best way to prevent the doorbell itself from getting stolen, and does any company cover that type of theft (seems like an idiotic idea to steal a video doorbell, but you never know!)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/latenitebacon
    [link] [comments]

    Adding to existing DSC alarm system

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 11:12 AM PST

    Hi, I am in Canada, I have a Bell next-gen home security system using a DSC keypad. I'd like to add six more wireless sensors to my system. Bell quoted me $470+hst to do this. Seems like a lot; I'm seeing various sensors on amazon for around $20-$30 each but I have no idea what I'm looking for, this is not my wheelhouse.

    Does anyone know-

    A-Where else to buy sensors at a reasonable price?

    B-What exactly I'm looking for when it comes to finding the proper sensors?

    C-Am I able to set this up on my own with the proper sensors? Or does Bell have to do this?

    Thank you very much for any help you can offer!

    submitted by /u/CanadianTeslaGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Vista 20SE to 20P upgrade problem

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 11:09 AM PST

    Hi all:

    The home we bought this spring came with a Vista20SE, and per the conversation in https://www.reddit.com/r/homesecurity/comments/jis9g4/modernize_an_existing_ademco_vista_20_setup/ , I purchased a Vista20P to replace it. I carefully labeled and detached all wires, swapped out the boards, and reattached to the same terminals.

    I powered it up, and my experience is the keypads will beep appropriately at each touch, but there's no alpha display at all. I followed the programming guide to press # and * within 50 seconds of power up, but that does not change the circumstance.

    Any input on what your first troubleshooting step would be in this scenario?

    submitted by /u/swy
    [link] [comments]

    DSC vs Simplisafe

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 10:50 AM PST

    I have an existing DSC system that is wired/wireless. All of the door sensors and motion sensors are wireless. Peoples main complaint about simplisafe is that wireless functions being disabled by being jammed. Is this the same risk for a wireless DSC system?

    submitted by /u/Act_Front
    [link] [comments]

    Good solution for exterior/night cams separated by a road?

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 09:34 AM PST

    Property crime is on the rise here, and my neighbor and I want to put cameras on our garages, facing each other's garage to get a better angle (see linked image). My camera would record their area, and their camera would record mine. I'll be setting up and installing everything, we'll split the cost. We want to do this because the lots are narrow, I have no way to mount a camera high enough it won't be easily reached/damaged where it could capture anything other than the tops of heads.

    I had hoped to get a PoE camera for the low-maintenance and image quality, but I don't think its feasable to dig up a paved alley and run a cat 6 between the garages, and also likely illegal to run a wire in the air. My garage is detatched from my house, but there is power and data wires already running between the two (I think the data is cat 5 from an old dismantled ADT system, but I'm not opposed to pulling a new wire if needed. Both garages have power available.

    Is there some kind of remote fairly cheap station/repeater available I could plug in at her garage that would run a camera?

    Right now the only "security" I have is a dog and a couple indoor Wyze cams, so any general advice also appreciated. Budget isn't huge, but we are willing to invest a little.

    submitted by /u/berrmal64
    [link] [comments]

    New home has hodge-podge of brands, new baby coming. Advice please!

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 09:13 AM PST

    We recently moved into a home that has a ring doorbell and honeywell thermostat set up already, and we have a few amazon Alexas around the house. We're expecting a new baby come January and I've been looking into security systems with video/audio monitoring to our phones to use in lieu of a traditional baby monitor. Ideally, I'd like to have the baby monitor with two way video and audio, and add a few indoor/outdoor cameras and door sensors, perhaps with keyless entry and remote locking capability.

    Does anyone have any advice as to which system to go with? I really like the Ring doorbell and would like to keep it at least, but I've read that ring's cameras are not recommended. The honeywell thermostat I've been having trouble actually connecting to, as it says it's already registered to another user (previous homeowner), so I've considered replacing it entirely.

    Just feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed by a plethora of options without honest and straight-forward reviews. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/PirateAaron
    [link] [comments]

    Removing DSC Panel Help

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 09:08 AM PST

    We just moved into a new home that has some ADT installed system with a panel by the garage door and another panel located in the master bedroom. I am having an alarm.com vendor install a home automation system about two weeks from now, but we are having the bedroom painted before then. I want to ditch the panel that is in the bedroom, but need to do it before the new system is set up so that the wall can be patched and painted all at the same time, so I can't really wait for the new alarm people to take it out, if they even will.

    Can I simply disconnect the panel and hide the wires in the wall or do I need to unplug anything from this box? It may be worth noting that the panel doesn't even turn on, so it maybe its already disconnected from the box?

    https://imgur.com/v22Opte

    submitted by /u/getkooziewithme
    [link] [comments]

    New Alarm time (ADT woes)

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 07:40 AM PST

    BLUF: ADT is garbage and expensive. considering Abode or Simplisafe or Vivint. recommendations?

    ADT has given me nothing but trouble from day one. Sensors failing, thermoastat tripping itself off, fire alarm goes off if I use one of my bathrooms, and my car was broken into infront of my motion doorbell camera last night.... it recorded nothing from the last two weeks. Its time they go.

    My question is, what do yall recommend? im over paying $75 (btw adt is charging me extra so thats cool) so the cheaper the better, but I also want a system that works. Simplisafe alienated me in 2018 because they began to borderline harass me to get their system, but im willing to forgive and forget. I never heard of Abode until this sub reddit, so any input there is cool.

    submitted by /u/kamikazepaco
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment