• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 11, 2020

    Home security: Moving a frontpoint security panel

    Home security: Moving a frontpoint security panel


    Moving a frontpoint security panel

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 02:30 PM PST

    Ok to start I did search some threads but can't find quite what fits my situation so I'll start fresh.

    I did contact Frontpoint security and they were less than helpful. Their exact response was "We're a DIY system."......... That in itself is why I'd prefer to switch to something else especially if I plan on having it monitored.

    Situation: Moved into our house last year that has FP panel. It has window and door sensors that are hard wired, (I just realized maybe they aren't hard wired... are they wireless to this specific panel) We would like to continue using it for that purpose. We have small children and it's nice to hear if something opens. The current panel is within reach of my kids and would like to move it so they can not unplug it or press buttons.

    I've talked to an electrician that is happy to move the panel for me but I'm wondering if I can connect a different system to it that has the same feature.

    submitted by /u/ihearthalibut
    [link] [comments]

    (Humor) When you can't install longer screws.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 12:57 PM PST

    Security Camera - Not sure what to google to get started.

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 05:13 PM PST

    I am looking for an affordable, indoor discrete camera for a location that does not have internet, though I'd like to download the video when in proximity or, worst case, remove the video card. Thank you for any recommendations.

    submitted by /u/tzujan
    [link] [comments]

    Photoelectric or ionization alarm to best protect against clothes dryer fire in unfinished basement?

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 11:13 AM PST

    I know that a combination of smoke detection is preferable, which is why the 2 story + basement semi-detached house will have both types: ionization and and photoelectric.

    I'm installing a new alarm in the unfinished basement. It's primarily used for storage.

    The two greatest fire risks I see are 1) a zero-clearance-required metal boxed condensing natural gas boiler, and 2) clothes dryer (yikes!) and washing machine. Anything else? The clothes dryer has recently been fully cleaned and is newly vented with galvanized steel pipe.

    The basement stairs lead to the kitchen, which has a photoelectric detector just outside it, in the hall where basement smoke might rise to, before possibly continuing up the stairs to the second floor bedrooms.

    What is the preferable detector for these basement fire risks: ionization or photoelectric? And why? Is a clothes dryer fire more likely to be smouldering, therefore photoelectric is preferred?

    (While ideal, I won't be installing both types of alarms in the basement right now so you can reserve that recommendation.)

    In terms of placement, I'll ensure the alarm is mounted below the joists i.e. not in a dead air circulation spot. My thought is to locate the alarm between the boiler and dryer, and stairs , where I feel it would be more likely to see smoke or combustion product. I will also keep it at least two feet away from the iron pipes feeding radiators, which would slightly disrupt air movement.

    Thanks for your ideas and further questions!

    submitted by /u/I_care_too
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a shelf life on ammo?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 11:39 PM PST

    Specifically .45 ACP

    submitted by /u/jgatz1234
    [link] [comments]

    Ring recalls 350,000 smart doorbells over fire concerns

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 08:55 PM PST

    Questions on DIY PoE security cameras

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 01:10 AM PST

    Questions on DIY PoE security cameras

    I'm planning to setup PoE security cameras with a PoE Switch. The setup goes something like this, I purchase PoE security cameras and connect them to a PoE switch to supply the electricity and also transfer data. From the PoE switch, I see two options:

    • Option A: Setup a PC with MotionEyeOS, which connects to a WiFi router. Connect the PoE switch to this WiFi router, so that the cameras are accessible in the local network for the MotionEyeOS.
    • Option B: Purchase an NVR and connect the PoE switch to this NVR.

    Here is schematics of the plan:

    https://preview.redd.it/4icl8oklsky51.png?width=615&format=png&auto=webp&s=7273674b6a27f839a57c3cd78cd0441051109c83

    This is the first time I'm doing such an installation, and I have a few questions:

    1. What kind of cameras should I purchase to make it work with MotionEyeOS? Does it only work with RTSP cameras or any IP cameras will do?
    2. What kinda of LAN cable should I use for PoE setup?
    3. There are not many options for an NVR at where I live. There is HikVision and some local brands. What should I be looking at while purchasing an NVR?
    4. What kind of PoE switch should I buy? Can the IP addresses of the ports change when there is a power interruption?
    5. Out of the two options, which one is less maintenance? And which one is easy to setup?

    Please suggest. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/throwaway4emotions
    [link] [comments]

    Warning about Vivint

    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 05:57 PM PST

    If you buy a house with Vivint, be very concerned. After I sold my house, I called to cancel, and they wouldn't let me. For over 3 months, I maintained access to the account, including the ability to view indoor and outdoor cameras, lock doors, set alarm, change pin, change the thermostat, etc.

    I called multiple times and explained to them how bad that was. They still wouldn't let me cancel.

    I eventually got them to cancel the account, but they continued to bill me for monitoring even though they were not providing any service.

    I requested a new credit card so they couldn't bill me any more. Then they sent me to a collections company threatening to put nonpayment on my credit report.

    The last I heard from them (6 months ago now) was that letter from the collections company. I sent the collections company a letter asking them to validate the debt. I also told them they would be in violation of the FCRA if they put the debt on my credit report. I've heard nothing since, and it never showed up on my credit report. I hope they are gone for good.

    submitted by /u/nkillgore
    [link] [comments]

    Door Hinge Shields; where can I buy just this?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 04:20 PM PST

    Hey everyone. I know there are kits out there like this, but I want to purchase the parts individually (the kits out there don't match my door color very well).

    Taking a look at that kit, they come with door hinge shields; but I cannot find them anywhere from Amazon to Home Depot. Maybe i'm not using the correct search term but I really don't see anything like this.

    Does anyone know where I can buy just these? Thanks

    Picture of said Hinge Shield: https://imgur.com/a/oh87VL7

    submitted by /u/cloudk1cker
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking smart lock or dumb lock with Hidden Camera or Discreet camera preferably with encrypted Bluetooth or wired camera feed - does it exist?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 05:45 PM PST

    Reason being, most cameras or smart lock cameras I have seen so far are too obvious, anyone with average or above average intelligence would just tape the camera or cover it with their hand. Also, someone thinking of vandalising or thieving can see the camera and then knock and act innocent and walkaway and comeback with a mask later. Considered a peep-hole camera but those are fairly obvious as well and also attack surface as you have now drilled a hole through your door.

    submitted by /u/Ok-Economist9021
    [link] [comments]

    Continous audio recording/surveillance with (multiple) microphone(s)

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:30 AM PST

    I'm looking for a wireless solution for continous HQ audio recording for long periods of time, maybe even 24/7. Ideally I need to record from multiple microphones simultaneously (single mixed file or separate files, doesn't matter).
    I have a Wi-Fi camera which I can use with my Asustor NAS, but its audio quality isn't good enough for my needs. And I don't really need video. Would be perfect if I could somehow connect mics to my Asustor instead of cameras.

    I currently have multiple USB, XLR and 3,5-jack mics that I can theoretically use for this task.

    Maybe there are some kind of Wi-Fi modules that I can connect microphones to and trick my surveillance system into thinking they're IP cameras without video signals or something like that?
    Or any other solution, I'd welcome anything.
    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/YeahThisNickname
    [link] [comments]

    Help with camera selection , I got myself confused...

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 06:20 AM PST

    So I ordered 2 Lenovo Smart Clock w/ Google assistant and video display. Do I need to get cameras with a separate base or is there any that will sync up w/o it? I'd like to add 2-3 outdoors anda couple of inside ones. I have Wyze camera now and want something better. Here is what I got https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Smart-Clock-with-Google-Assistant-Chalk/225392859

    submitted by /u/ButtNuster
    [link] [comments]

    Our house alarm is pressing buttons by itself

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 01:17 AM PST

    I live in a big house with three other people and this morning, I woke up to the sound of someone pressing the buttons on our house alarm seemingly trying to turn it off. Bear in mind our alarm has two noises, the loud alarm when it's set off and the single BEEP when you push a button (like a number etc). I assumed it was one of my house mates and thought nothing of it. Next minute the button pushing gets a bit more frantic (but is still random enough to sound like a one of my flat mates trying to turn it off to get breakfast or something). Then the alarm goes off. I get out of bed and come on to the landing to find two other house mates stood there looking confused. I ask them 'Oh is third housemate downstairs?', and they both look at me confused and say no he left for work half an hour ago. So obviously we freak out and think someone has broken into our home and is downstairs. We run back to our rooms and shut the door until one guy is brave and peeks his head down the staircase to see no one there in front of the system while it is STILL BEEPING LIKE BUTTONS ARE BEING PRESSED. in the end he went down and pushed in the code to turn it off. safe to say we are all pretty freaked out and have no idea if we need to call a handyman or ghostbusters

    submitted by /u/AardvarkFabulous
    [link] [comments]

    Ring's motion sensors and cameras

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 04:44 AM PST

    I'm going to cover a room with access from the backyard with a motion sensor and a camera, and a contact sensor on the door.

    I just found out the cameras actually alert about movement as well. So, is there any reason to have both? Or just the camera is enough?

    submitted by /u/yzT-
    [link] [comments]

    Gun Shop Employees Share Red Flags that Made Them Deny a Sale

    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 06:46 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment