• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 4, 2020

    Home security: Is it safer or less safe if your neighbors know you are armed? (concealed carry)

    Home security: Is it safer or less safe if your neighbors know you are armed? (concealed carry)


    Is it safer or less safe if your neighbors know you are armed? (concealed carry)

    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 05:55 AM PST

    There is a neighbor next door with a couple of delinquent children. They have jobs, but they have caused trouble in the past (noise visits, domestic disputes). The children are also friends with some unsavory people.

    Most everyone else in the neigborhood is lawful and peaceful. Would it be safer or less safe if the delinquent household found out that our household is armed (by finding out through one of the other neighbors)?

    submitted by /u/MotherPotential
    [link] [comments]

    Got trespassed last night, need surveillance advice

    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 09:11 AM PST

    Hi all, I have zero knowledge about surveillance cameras so I hope someone can ELI5 to me and make some recommendations.

    Last night, someone climbed onto the second floor of my house and ran along the length of my house outside (on the awnings) before my father saw him through the windows. We called the police but he wasn't caught.

    We used to have a wired CCTV system only on the first floor but it broke down last year. We plan to install a new system ourselves but don't know where to begin. My father wants a wireless one so he doesn't have to run wires everywhere. We plan to have domed ones outdoors. I'm open to having wired ones if I can convince him it's better.

    Some specs that I'm looking for: - outdoor cam - preferably dome-shaped - Night vision of up to 30m, preferably coloured night vision - at least 120 degrees (haven't thought clearly about the range of movement) - preferably 10x zoom and above - at least 1080p - weather-proof (I live in hot, humid weather with no cold climate) - preferably armed with a siren on each camera - preferably armed with floodlights on each camera - motion detection (facial recognition/ auto focus a plus) - low lag between motion detection, notification, and recording - able to view premises live on iPhones even when not at home/ when abroad - long battery life (not a consideration if wired) - won't overheat (the last system apparently overheated a lot and caused short circuits) - looking for at least 6 cameras (3 on first floor and 3 on second floor, maybe 2 on third floor)

    I don't know what else to look out for. I also don't know how PoE works and what NVR or PTZ means, it's quite a steep learning curve for me. I also want to learn more about storage and how to run wires to the exterior of the house on the second and first floor.

    The brands I've heard about are: Hikvision Dahua Arlo Blink Eufy Renolink D-link Xiaomi

    Hikvision seems to be very popular but they have too many options to choose from and I'm torn because I don't know what to look out for. But they're widely available in my country.

    Please also educate me on the pros and cons of wired vs wireless systems so I can convey this to my dad.

    Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/r9440
    [link] [comments]

    Hello all: Im located in Canada and looking to buy a concealment shelf. Any suggestions? Anyone have one/any tips? Thanks so much!

    Posted: 03 Nov 2020 06:57 PM PST

    Secure the Door with sidelights

    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 01:45 PM PST

    Our main door faces a busy street and we don't have a fence. The problem is we have a door with sidelights. I think this is a critical security flaw to our house since anyone can break the glass and gain access to the home by unlocking the main door or by entering through the sidelight itself . Through internet research , I found these options 1. Replace the sidelight with a much stronger glass. 2. Have a home alarm system that alerts when glass is broken 3. Have an iron mesh as a additional layer of defense 4. Replace the sidelight door with a solid sidelight door . Not sure if only sidelight can be replaced or the entire doorframe has to be replaced

    I am looking to learn from the community about which option is the best in terms of home security. Please help

    submitted by /u/new_house_buyer11
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor cameras

    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 09:56 AM PST

    Hello, I'm starting my research on an outdoor POE 5-6 camera system, with the intent to move away from WiFi cameras. I've read good things about Hikvision colorvu although there appear to be concerns about the brightness of the LED light with neighbors. It would be nice if led lights would only activate with movement. I'd like to have the ability to record sound and color night vision. I'm a newbie to nvr poe camera systems so any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/jimmy_chann
    [link] [comments]

    Top 8 Front Door Handlesets 2020 | Reviews & Buying Guide

    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 12:35 PM PST

    First time home owner

    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 12:21 AM PST

    Hey guys first time home owner here I work nights so I'm looking for a total home security system any recommendation?

    submitted by /u/mtzj513
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment