• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 21, 2020

    Home security: ADT - Should I be worried?

    Home security: ADT - Should I be worried?


    ADT - Should I be worried?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 11:53 AM PST

    So my wife and I just bought a house in a really nice neighborhood and about a month ago an ADT salesmen stopped by.

    He claimed there was a 30 day credit on our house and if we sign up within 30 days we will get an ultra low deal. I did ask for a card and such, I believe he gave me one and I closed the door. I wasn't suspicious because I didn't give any details away and I kept our metal screen door closed. I chose to ignore it and go back to work.

    Well he came back today at 9:30am for a follow up(25 days later). This time I was a bit more suspicious because I noticed he wasn't in uniform and he decided to park further down the street. He didn't seem that sketchy, he was a young Asian male that seemed honest enough. He went into basically hour long sales speech, which had it's typical scam sounding techniques and he wouldn't take hints that it was a no.

    I am concern because he did ask me couple questions that I shouldn't have answered but I did. First, he asked me how many doors and windows I have to enter my house, I said two because you can see the two from the street and I lied about the windows. He said he ask the question to get a estimate on the cost of we don't go with this new owner sale, and he did have a paper with a breakdown in price. Second question, that I shouldn't answered was that we were still debating which company to go with. So basically admitted we didn't have a security system in place yet.

    I feel so stupid. I hope it was just a sales person, I can't check his card because my wife threw it away. I am hoping he heard my pitbull barking before I answered the door and I kept emphasizing we are always home. I just thought it was weird he showed up so early on a Saturday and parked away from the house.

    Am I worrying too much?

    submitted by /u/aunit1390
    [link] [comments]

    “Home” Defense for a skoolie build

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 04:40 PM PST

    My home is a bus. I'm looking for a camera system that I can install which would give me a 360 view when I hear noises while boondocking. No internet, wires is ok, 12v would be great, already installing "zombie lights" on all four sides in can engage in my sleeping area.

    submitted by /u/IntermittentJuju
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Alarm System Upgrade Path, Advice Needed. Simon XTi-3

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 05:55 PM PST

    Hello,

    Purchasing a new home and will need two monitored for a bit so going to take the opportunity to upgrade. Currently have GE Simon XTi-3 originally purchase through safemart ~8 years ago. Eventually in the new home, my spouse wants everything monitored which will mean quite a few sensors. Therefore I'd like to be able to keep using the sensors I do have which are all wireless.

    Ideally, I'd like new system to be able to tie into my home automation software which is currently Domoticz but considering switching over to OpenHab or HomeAssistant. At least report the current armed status of the system to the automation software which can then change my trigger settings for cameras etc. My cameras are running through BlueIris.

    It seems like Interlogix is shutting down some in the US as well.

    Most basic panels seem to max out around 40-50 sensors but I will probably end up with ~60.

    One of the homes has an untested, old ADT system based off Honeywell Vista 20-P I believe that I could grab some panels, motion detection, and couple wired sensors from if helpful.

    Questions:

    Are the wireless converters to take Interlogix (319.5) to 345 or any other frequency as bad as they are made out to be?

    What is considered best practice for locations to utilize wired sensors to avoid jamming (this is a new concern I stumbled upon while researching)?

    Are there any current Interlogix systems that I can expect long term support from alarm.com providers for?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/hooraysimpsons
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment