• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 18, 2020

    Home security: Professional home security vs personal installation

    Home security: Professional home security vs personal installation


    Professional home security vs personal installation

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    Hello there, I have a lot of questions about putting cameras at home for enhanced security, but I'll try to make it as simple as possible.

    Background

    I live in a peaceful village with very low population, and my immediate surroundings are either populated by elderly people or straight away uninhabited. This has one good thing, neighbors will never try to do any harm to me. However there's also a major downside, if someone jumps over my fence, nobody will see it.

    I was recently approached by a security company of good reputation but rather disappointing effectiveness, claiming my house was in danger. They added mostly exaggerations, but some points made sense, such as certain fences being easy to climb and away from direct sight, which set a time for me to look for options.

    The prices offered were absurd, I won't pay the lowest amount of money they wanted just to place cameras outside that probably won't do anything. I haven't asked for prices from the brands that offer good results, but I can guess the price range would be along those lines.

    Given I work in IT, setting up devices, connecting them to my Azure account, etc. would all be pretty simple for me, so why not going for it instead?

    The questions

    1. I guess it doesn't make sense to ask whether it's worth to install a security system, so many variables, and the goal is to keep a potential thief away... which is also an unknown factor. However I would like to know if it's actually worth for my particular case to look into professional solutions, since the monthly cost stacks up quickly. Maybe you can tell from experience if I there are any red flags.
    2. The next question is whether a personal setup would be worth anything in case a theft occurs. E.g. if someone gets in my house and the camera records him, will that work as proof the same way as a professional solution does? Or would it be voided if used to press charges?
    3. Last but not least, is there a possibility to build something that warns me and offers a quick option to call the police and other similar services?

    I'm sorry if I asked something stupid, this is the beginning of my research into security cameras and other similar stuff.

    submitted by /u/OMG_Abaddon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment