• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 4, 2020

    Home security: Is my house bugged?

    Home security: Is my house bugged?


    Is my house bugged?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    So not actually my house, but my boyfriends mom bought a house with her husband and they have some weird shit going on. First off the people they bought the house from were sketchy, compulsive liars etc. and even the homeowners association said the people that lived there were absolute weirdos. Like people come to the house with court documents etc. for the previous owners.

    Long story short, there's something that comes up in their wifi options called VIDEO80A8 and the houses are far apart so it can't be a neighbors router. The only other internet to chose from is theirs! The cable/internet people says there a random giant unexplainable spike in activity once a day. Do you have any idea what it could be/ how to find the source or anything they could use to find hidden cameras/ microphones.

    Edit: You could easily build 1-2 houses between each house. It's a secluded private drive in a very wooded area

    So to add to the story since I'm getting some messages. When they bought the house the previous owner got VERY hostile when asked simple questions during small talk, or when asked about anything pertaining to his life. He claimed they were moving because his wife had cancer, but he lied about that.

    When they had gone to their first homeowners association meeting they had found out that the guys daughter would stand at the bottom of their driveway and just scream bloody murder in the middle of the night the first few weeks of living there. The neighbors didn't get to know them very well but the confirmed the wife was in good health.

    When they had brought up the possibility of their house being bugged the neighbors expressed their concern and said it's very plausible considering the previous owners were sketchy.

    I'm addition, people will pull all the way up in their driveway and just hang out there for a few minutes before leaving (long-ish driveway halfway down a private road, so they're not just turning around). People have come to the house with subpoenas/ court documents for the guy. There have also been notes left to the door with phone numbers asking to have the previous owner contact them. That's all the info they have.

    submitted by /u/Catiewithac123
    [link] [comments]

    Honeywell camera software recommendations?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 11:21 PM PDT

    Here are the details. I just purchased a house and was able to finally connect to the camera system the previous owner set up and the software portion of it is, to put it nicely, not good.

    What I have hardware wise are 5 hbd3pr1 Honeywell cameras all connecting to a honeywell branded DVR box thing. In order to see video I have to connect to the box using an old version of internet explorer using an active x plugin, or use a kb/mouse/screen but the box is in my crawlspace and the interface is terrible.

    My question is what software would be the best to run these. I already have a homelab so adding another program is no big deal I just have no idea what to even look for. Also these look to be power over Ethernet so would I just need to get a POE switch and just bypass the DVR all together?

    I'm pretty lost right now so anything helps.

    submitted by /u/nstern2
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice PLEASE

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    1. We have gangs of teens opening the doors of cars and stealing anything inside the cars at 3am. We always lock our cars, and we don't keep anything valuable in them. I'd like to get some type of driveway alarm. Any suggestions?
    2. Suggestions for home security system. We aren't rich, but I want our home safe. Yesterday, i was shocked to come home to a drug addict, with a rap sheet for burglary, in my front yard casing the place!
    3. Any other suggestions please. Thank you!
    submitted by /u/FurryLittleBunny
    [link] [comments]

    Zmodo Help OR Doorbell Cam Recommendation

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    We have a Zmodo doorbell camera that won't work any longer after switching out our router. Doorbell is solid blue. We've let it die, tried hooking both the beam and the doorbell up with the QR code and from scratch. No results. It's hooked up to the old dead wifi. We have it set up to run through the 2.4GHz, Zmodo support hasn't been able to help either.

    So now we need to either fix this one or get another one. I'd like most to salvage this one. If we get another instead, we don't want to do monthly subscriptions and we want something that doesn't need to be charged. Just a camera like Zmodo that doesn't break the bank.

    All help/ suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ChocoboatHeart
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have Cove and can comment on what they do or don’t like about it? We have Frontpoint now but Cove seems like a better deal.

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    Solar powered IR emitter

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    I have a couple of motion sensor led lights that are really screwing with my new cameras. I also notice that the ir lights on my amcrest some cameras throw a very narrow beam on the field of view. Im wondering if there is a good solar powered IR light that i could replace my visible light leds with that has motion sensing? Id like to better illuminate the night time scene but dont want to run power for the lights. Ideas? One area id like to light is 20'wide 30' deep the other only 12' wide and 30' deep. The camera ligts are inadequate in both.

    submitted by /u/atomicskier76
    [link] [comments]

    I need help, someone just knocked on my door and walked away. He looked planned.

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 05:18 PM PDT

    The dude came to my door knocked once which is weird because if you knock normally you'd knock twice. It sounds like a warning knock or something. He also wore a black hoodie which blocked me from seeing him when he went back to the elevator. I live in an apartment, a very big one so it's weird that he only knocked on my door when there's like 20 doors right. He came to my door and directly after that, he walked straight back to the elevator which made him look like he had a plan and he wasn't scared of making me know. I am buying a security camera tomorrow, is there anything else to do? I am keeping a hammer next to me, yes I know that sounds retarded but a knife can be easily cut myself accidentally.

    submitted by /u/needhelp1123980
    [link] [comments]

    Best cameras / security system for a 180ft barn?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    We have a barn that I'd like to add cameras and/or sensors into. It was used before for storing hay, so the farmer never really needed it. Ever since moving in 10 years ago, we now have tractors, zero turns, and other business assets in there and no security system. I live in Canada, and sometimes (rarely) it does reach -30 to -40 degrees, so the cameras would have to be durable. I have overhead garage doors connected to wifi but as mentioned, I'm looking for a durable, weatherproof, reliable security system. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars on a system like some people have suggested. It's more-so the cameras I would want over sensors. There is full wifi functionality throughout the barn.

    submitted by /u/Spruxed
    [link] [comments]

    Help with camera system selection

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Ive been searching the sub and it seems Reolink and Unifi are good choices for a camera system. My wife and I are in the finishing stages of a build and would like to have some cameras (probably 7 plus a doorbell). I don't care necessarily about cloud STORAGE but would like ability to be able to see cameras remotely and receive and check on motion alers etc (a la Ring).

    I enjoy gadgets and am not tech illiterate but would likely do best with something that's relatively easy setup and maintenance.

    I keep reading about Blue Iris and NVR. Do I actually have to have a separate dedicated PC to run this or is the NVR that machine.

    Would obviously prefer to keep costs lower if possible. Don't need highest end cameras but want something decent that's going to work and not be a huge hassle.

    I am wired for cat 6 at all house corners in camera locations for PoE.

    Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

    submitted by /u/weepieracorn
    [link] [comments]

    Motion capture security camera choices?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    My house is fully wired for cameras but nothing is installed so I could wire in a DVR or use WiFi. I was looking at Swann, Nest, Wyze and others and can't decide.

    • I prefer record only when detecting motion
    • time stamping automatically
    • 4 cameras
    • files accessible from PC rather than getting SD cards out
    • 1080p - 4k
    • Common file types like mkv mp4

    Any ideas? I'm a bit of a techie (excluding camera choices) so no issues recoding or managing cloud storage, I just need some hardware choices and a central box to record on.

    submitted by /u/smudgepost
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment