• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 21, 2020

    Home security: Google pulls Nest Home security

    Home security: Google pulls Nest Home security


    Google pulls Nest Home security

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    I was just looking to possibly purchase this. I guess not now.....just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

    https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/19/21523967/google-discontinues-nest-secure-alarm-system

    submitted by /u/Aquarium1996
    [link] [comments]

    We need a home security system, but is something like this even possible?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    Hey all, I'm brand new to home security systems and I'm not even sure what I'd like is possible. If it is, awesome. If not, please help me get close.

    We're in a single-story family home, fenced in back yard and attached garage. To cover our ingress/egress doors and most of the house I think we'd need 4 to 6 cameras. I'd like to mount these as high as I can to cover more area and run their power from the inside of the house, unless there are some with crazy long-lasting batteries; I have minimal outlets outside and none very high. I'd like to be able to review several days or weeks of footage if possible, and direct live feeds to monitors inside the home. Any info on additional stuff like alarm sensors for doors and windows, loud alarms even, is welcome. Actually, any info is totally welcome, I'd like to get a system installed ASAP. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ImABigguhBoy
    [link] [comments]

    Overwhelmed with the number of choices on the market...advice?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I have a wired Vista 20 SE in my home that I use on the "Stay" option at night/when we leave the house. It has 8 zones, #1 being smoke alarm (6 total smokes but 3 are disconnected, my mistake cutting wires) and the other 7 zones being doors/glass break sensors. I also have 3 keypads...front door, side door, and bedroom. Part of me really wants to use this old system since the house is already wired up. Also, as much as I hate it...my wife wants some kind of monitoring service that will call the police.

    Options I've looked into:

    1. Konnected - looks cool but I'm not THAT tech savvy. I also want the ability to add extra sensors on the kid's room windows as the family grows. I am unsure if wireless sensors can be added with konnected? Also as mentioned earlier, 3/6 wired smoke alarms are disconnected and I can't figure out how to reconnect. I've literally tried everything I could think of going from the attic to the basement a few dozen times running wires/connections/transformers. I just don't know what I did wrong so I can't go back to fix.
    2. ADT - Gave me a few options but all are around $1000 to replace all the wired smoke alarms (and reconnect the 3) with new ones and add 2 wired CO detectors, add a cellular device and give me access via an app. Then $50 a month with a 3 year contract. This makes me want to puke, but it definitely the easiest option.
    3. Simplisafe - I put a few packages together and would be like $600ish for all my needs. A few hours of my time and then replacing batteries. I'm hesitant because I've read some so/so things about smoke alarms. The benefit here is that I have a friend who has access to Simplisafe cameras for free so I could do everything under 1 system, but I'm still stuck with all this hardwired junk in my house and would need to remove panels/spackle etc...
    4. I called a few local companies but they all want to give me 1 new "touchscreen" keypad and wireless smoke detectors. I feel like if I have all the wires in my house already, I should use them!

    Any advice or thoughts would be great. I've been looking for so long/called so many companies I am just defeated. Thanks r/HomeSecurity!

    submitted by /u/m0moneym0pr0blems
    [link] [comments]

    Where To Buy

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    Where can I buy a concord 4 alarm system kit?

    submitted by /u/cosmicskylight
    [link] [comments]

    Helping to replace my apartment building's security system; switched recorders but none of the cameras are showing up now.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    I still have to get some more information from my super, etc, but I Just switched to this http://www.digimerge.com/products/nvr/flir-dnr500-series.html and got it for 99$ (which is a little mindboggling, considering there's 4 4TB WD drives inside). It looks like it may have been factory refurbished, but otherwise looks brand new.

    Anyways, it advertises just plugging cameras in and detecting them, AND it mentions being ONVIF 2.3, but it also alludes to automatically detecting FLIR brand cameras...

    I still have to get close enough to the installed cameras to find out what they are as I was just helping replace the recorder, but is there any reason compatible cameras could not otherwise plug n' play? There's no...sort of settings connecting cameras to certain recorders such as IP addresses, etc? A need to reset cameras when connecting to new recorders?

    I'll have to consult with the rest of the building to find out what I'm even working with still, but just wanted to see if there was anything to know first.

    submitted by /u/CyJackX
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use my ADT Honeywell wireless sensors with Ring or some other self monitoring or cheap monitored service?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:36 PM PDT

    Longtime Lurker First Time Poster!

    This is my first home and ADT wanted to charge me $1k to begin and $40/mo for 36mo. No thanks!

    House has an older ADT number pad and beeps every time a window or door is opened. So ideally I'd like to keep the sensors and find a cheaper alternative to ADT.

    I bought a Ring 5pc kit along with outdoor camera/spotlights for the front and back doors. I want to be able to monitor everything remotely and wouldn't mind pay a monthly service but $40 is just too much.

    Honywell A 021-0601 and A 040-4733

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/SenorJuanBlanco
    [link] [comments]

    Amcrest AD110 Wi-Fi WPA secret limited to 32 characters?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    Is this a fluke with this model, or is this normal with other Amcrest wireless products? the WPA/WPA secret standard length is 63 characters and mine is definitely larger than 32.

    Not planning to change every single device in my house to accommodate this arbitrary limitation and pondering my options before putting the camera back in the box and sending it back to Amazon.

    submitted by /u/not-covfefe
    [link] [comments]

    I have no idea what I'm doing

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    I am completely lost. I have 2 small Yi cameras and a Geeni currently to look over my apartment when I'm out. We just bought a house and those little dudes are still fine to babysit the dogs, but obviously I'm gonna want a better security system. ADT came by to talk to me today, but this subreddit was the first thing to pop up when I Googled if I should use them or not(the answer seems to be no).

    We live in the Southwest U.S. where security bars on all windows and doors are common

    We do have bats, also guns and know how to use them

    I have an 80lb pit/lab who is usually a good deterrent but wouldn't actually do anything

    Our back yard is fenced in, about 6 foot, made of blocks. There is one gate with a latch

    Please help me out, any advice or recommendations are welcome.

    submitted by /u/Jack_Kentucky
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for outdoors security camera with auto save functionality.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    My neighbor's bike was stolen lately and we're looking to install a camera outside of our building.

    I am looking for something that is wireless, the battery lasts for long, it's weatherproof, and it's got nice res and night mode.

    I take it that phone integration is a given these days.

    submitted by /u/daqm
    [link] [comments]

    Crestron and Control4 and Savant - high end systems comparison from seller/installer opinion

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 06:03 AM PDT

    Looking into getting into one of these , my client are so varied so perhaps either will be a challenge to install. Which is the cheapest to get into? Maybe I will just offer that in the first year.

    submitted by /u/Biz-Developer
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought a DeliverySafe to protect packages

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    If you're worried about having your packages stolen or want to keep your delivered groceries or meal fresh until you get home, take a look at DeliverySafe.com ... The delivery folks just use your keycode to open it and put packages or food in there to keep it safe and fresh. Super easy to get it going.

    If you have questions, LMK. I can probably get you a discount on the purchase, too, if you want it.

    submitted by /u/paulshirer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment