• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 20, 2020

    Home Improvement: Thermostat replaced. Doorbell no longer works.

    Home Improvement: Thermostat replaced. Doorbell no longer works.


    Thermostat replaced. Doorbell no longer works.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    I switched out my thermostat to an Ecobee this past weekend. It's working fine.

    However, I didn't notice until yesterday that now my doorbell is no longer working. The thermostat is below the doorbell chime.

    I checked the Zmodo Greet doorbell and the tested the wires ther with a multimeter. No power. I touched the wires together and no chime.

    I tested the chime box connections as well. No power. I had someone push the doorbell while I measured. Still nothing.

    But now I'm trying to locate the doorbell transformer but I cannot find it anywhere. I have checked the garage, the hvac/furnace room, the circuit breaker box, behind the doorbell, behind the doorbell chime box, the laundry room, the crawl space under the stairs. Nothing.

    What could be the issue and what other places can I look for the doorbell transformer?

    submitted by /u/julious29
    [link] [comments]

    Help: I used a scotch brite pad on a stainless steel fridge..

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 07:04 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I just did something dumb. I'm getting ready to move out of of a rental and we're cleaning the house. I must have been exhausted and used a Scotch Brite pad to clean gunk off the units coated stainless still fridge. There is now a not so subtle circular scratching pattern across 1 of the double doors. ( Large surface area ). I don't even know where to begin? Should i call someone to come fix it? Is there something i can use to repair it myself? Most of our stuff is packed...

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/mainstreet2018
    [link] [comments]

    Feasibility of altering roof with new shed dormers

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    We own a 1910's craftsman home which features a trussed roof with a gable dormer (reference images at end). The bedroom we use is at the front of the house and inside the dormer. It has two small closets off of it with short slanted ceilings due to the roof structure. A dream change of mine would be to modify the roof and add two shed dormers to the side of the gable (example in the album) which would then give us a true master suite with room to add a bathroom and have a larger walk in closet.

    I'm wondering if this is at all possible and the biggest hurdle just the cost? I'm having trouble finding any examples of someone doing something like this and I was trying to avoid getting laughed by a contractor if this is a ridiculous idea (plus they all are all busy right now and hard to get a hold of).

    Would really appreciate if anyone had any insight or better ideas on how to get more space to add a bathroom. Thanks!

    https://imgur.com/a/eNRl6qS

    Edit: adding some roof pitch and other measurements:

    Roof pitch: 7/12

    2nd Floor to Ridge: 14'

    Ridge to front gable wall: 17'

    submitted by /u/nosoulredhead
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor PEX piping, is this ok and how to insulate?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 03:57 PM PDT

    I'm a new homeowner of 3 months and something our inspector mentioned was that there is one section of the piping outside that isn't insulated for winter. We're about to get our first freeze this weekend. This is a rare occurrence (Portland, OR doesn't freeze often), but I want to take care of just-in-case.

    I wanted to figure out what these pipes were before deciding what to use to insulate and after some research, it looks like they are red PEX pipes that connect to my water heater. I read that PEX piping should NOT be outdoors or exposed to UV. These likely have been for years, so now I have a second concern.

    Piping in question: https://i.imgur.com/7usMjzO.jpg

    My two questions:

    1. Any suggestions on how I should winterize these in the short term?
    2. Should I be looking into replacing these completely if they are indeed PEX pipes and have clearly been exposed to the sunlight for a while now?

    Edit: Appreciate all the comments pointing out how odd this is. I'm pretty livid that my inspector (who otherwise did an outstanding job) didn't flag this before closing, as it's likely a code violation and going to create issues down the line. I'm going to have someone come check it out and give me further advice. Thank you all!

    Edit2: Additional photos if anyone is interested in taking a further guess as to what's going on. These show where the two pipes enter the top of the basement and then where they connect to my water heater (you can see them both coming in at the top left of this photo): https://imgur.com/a/GtFGSuJ

    submitted by /u/qukab
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone ever installed a home backup generator?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:50 PM PDT

    I'm looking at getting a Generac backup generator for my home because it's rather prone to storming where I live. It's a not insignificant amount of money to install one, so I'm kinda on the fence about it.

    Has anyone ever here done it before and if so, what are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/luckyducs1100
    [link] [comments]

    Tankless water heater?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    I wanted to get y'all thoughts on tankless water heaters.

    If it helps, we're only 2 people so we never had issues with water not being hot enough. It's a 2 story, 3000 sq ft house. The current water heater is a normal one but it needs to be replaced so we were considering switching to tankless.

    Pros? Cons? Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/YaddaYoda44
    [link] [comments]

    Best/cheapest carpeting/pads for sound dampening hardwood floors?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    My wife and I live below a 7 and 8-year-old. The mother is very kind and is nice when we ask them to keep stomping down, but it's still an issue. We have to take calls in our offices and it's not good when customers and bosses are upset over noise complaints during customer interaction.

    As a compromise, I am thinking of purchasing soundproof carpeting they can put down in their boys' room so their stomping/romping generates a lot less noise.

    Can anyone recommend a cheap solution? It was looking into interlocking foam pads that come in different colors and are fairly cheap.

    If anyone can suggest some cost-effective carpeting or padding we could offer to buy for them, that would be great. I understand it won't get rid.of all of the noise, but certainly, something has to be better than just straight-up kids on the hardwood.

    submitted by /u/CuttyMink
    [link] [comments]

    So, maybe I'm oblivious, but...

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    Where in the hell can I get 6 foot wide blackout curtains that don't need to be more than 3 feet long?

    I just cannot seem to find blackout curtains that aren't some customized expensive shnizzot that will fit those dimensions.

    I just got a weird window in my new place that's 6' across, but is only 3' tall. Light streams in there all hours of the night because there's a huge lamp RIGHT outside that window and it's effecting my sleep and I stg makes my cats want to jump all over me than usual ("Mooooom it's light so that means you gotta get up and play with us!!")

    Help?

    submitted by /u/Pijnsap
    [link] [comments]

    Is watering required for new concrete below 55F

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    Hi Folks, We recently poured concrete patio and temperatures are consistently around or below 55 F, thus I was wondering do we need to water concrete?, I would highly appreciate if experienced folks could advice.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Ok_Travel_8674
    [link] [comments]

    Are these floors salvageable?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    To me, these floors look good. I think all it needs is a good chemical paint stripper and scrap, followed by a floor drum sander. Anyone have different thoughts?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/dtnCSlM

    submitted by /u/RopeDue6173
    [link] [comments]

    Tub replacement: How do I reduce from 1.5" I.D (1.9" O.D) drain assembly to existing 1.5" O.D. slip joint on existing P trap over shortest length?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    I am replacing and older 60x30 steel tub with a new acrylic of same dimensions. There is an existing P trap under the floor with a 1.5" O.D slip joint glued on that I really don't want to have to rebuild.

    The standard drain kit uses 1.5" I.D (1.9" O.D) pipe and fittings. How do I reduce from this to the slip joint, over the shortest length possible? Picture: http://imgur.com/a/Vmf11Ys

    (I can't use another slip joint on on the drain assembly side because it's too long, causing the drain to be too high above the sub floor)

    Googling plumbing parts and searching the sub hasn't really helped me. What the heck am I missing here!?

    submitted by /u/Fitzgeezy
    [link] [comments]

    Panel upgrade, 2x 50 amp 240v EV charger, garage rewire questions

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    Im upgrading from a 100 amp panel to a 200 amp and I'm planning to have my garage pre-wired for 2x 50 amp 240v circuits to support future EV chargers along with rewiring the garage, currently not grounded like most of the house and I have some questions / concerns. i plan to finish the garage with drywall and insulation and put storage all around after wiring so I'd to do this correctly now.

    • Is a 200 amp panel enough for this? Will I be able to add a 3rd 240v 50 amp circuit in the future?

    • with a 50 amp circuit, 40A charger is the max it can support correct?

    • I've been reading that the 14-50 plug is popular option for these chargers, is this correct?

    • i currently have gas dryer and washer in the garage, is one 20 amp circuit for the whole garage to support power tool usage or should I put 2 circuits in? Can I have a single 40 amp breaker to the garage instead of 2x 20 amp to save on panel space?

    • what's the best practice as to which outlets connects to which circuits if I have multiple breakers put in?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/orthikon
    [link] [comments]

    New Window Leaking from Screws?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    I posted awhile back about how one of my new windows was leaking. The contractor recaulked the exterior a few weeks ago, and that seemed to have solved it. However, during a heavy rainstorm tonight I noticed water stains on the window sill again, and after some investigating it looks like it's coming from one of screws at the top of the frame (picture attached for reference). These windows were put in around 45 days ago so they definitely shouldn't be leaking. Any idea what the problem might be? I'd like to have some theories when I talk to the installer in the morning. Thanks.

    https://ibb.co/2ktgZwt Clearly leaking screw

    https://ibb.co/sWp6n4f Possibly leaking screw

    https://ibb.co/RNq49sd Water stains on sill

    submitted by /u/brp14b
    [link] [comments]

    Insight on new windows

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    As someone who researches a LOT and cares a lot about quality comparison and has sold windows at home depot for more than a year with a lot of satisfied customers who even come from other home depots just work with me I have a break down of what I have learned if it should benefit you in anyway.

    Before I was moved to the millwork department our most sold windows were Anderson 400 series and American Craftsman 70 series which is actually made by Silverline.

    Now for all special order vinyl windows I generally recommend Simonton windows over American craftsman the lead times are significantly less and the quality is much better and around here people really are into Harvey Vinyl windows and they are the exact equivalent but slightly cheaper usually. They have three main tiers all of which only do custom sizes and cost is based on size. Contractor which is new construction windows with option to cut off the fin and j channel to make a replacement window with 20 year warranty friction based lift mechanism, Pro (5050 series) only replacement, more limited selection, Usually it's barely more than contractor series but better warranty 20-50 year prorated with steel coils, and Premium (5500 series) new construction or replacement options, Lifetime prorated warranty and 3 year glass breakage included, thicker vinyl and stainless steel coils and triple pane as an option. All offer krypton gas and all have a basic low cost energy star option. The Inovo patio door is a great vinyl door and is cheap in the sense triple pane is only like $1400 after the "bid room" and has all the shoot bolt and foot bolt and exterior key multi-lock systems available.

    Compare that too American craftsman and only two glass choices are energy star unless you live in the south and the vinyl is thinner and slightly bluish in color and generally considered a low-medium grade and low for the 50 series. There is certain sizes that are cheaper and custom is more expensive,

    Andersen home depot can beat any andersen price as they are the largest retailer selling them. 100 series is very underrated as a vinyl alternative and the price point is great if you are spending more than $1,500 per order because you can use our "bid room" on it (ask associate you can save thousands on doors and windows). 400 series is the most common with wood interior option and very popular and 200 series rarely works for anyone but a cookie cutter home with sizes that match. Woodwright is even better both aesthetically and mechanically built cheaper than A series because it;s vinyl clad but has all the other bells and whistles of the A series including the unique tilt system . The A series though is the only one with fibrex clad outside of 100 series which is all fibrex. Andersen renewal sells the same window but charges 4-5 times as much and tries to convince you they are somehow better which isn't true at all.. they are a financial subdivision and not a great representation of andersen in my opinion especially since they don't even do new construction windows for the amount they beg for which is the best way to install a window despite messing with the outside siding or trim.. A series patio door is best with fiberglass clad and all the others are vinyl clad except the 100 series which is fibrex and an excellent value for flips. The hinged doors however start at fiberglass in most cases and all are good but A series has most finish options. (high end hinged patio doors can be sourced from Therma tru for much less and all fiberglass inside and out wood grain texture or smooth and painted or stained to specs.)

    Jeld-wen is a mixed bag... their customer service isn't as good and they tend to make mistakes I noticed but they have high end options in similar price point as Andersen and some dirt cheap options that aren't great in vinyl area. v-4500 series is good but v2500 and flat casing and brick mold is okay to not worth the little savings and long lead times. Their wood with aluminum clad is alright not good for the north really but still works fine but it works and they do some custom work especially sliders that nobody else does with wood interior. They have a very inexpensive lifetime glass breakage warranty which is really cool.

    Larson does decent storm windows and I am surprised Andersen hasn't tried to compete with them on it but it seems they are focusing on more expensive homes instead and why they probably sold silverline to Plygem.

    American craftsman/ ply gem has a aluminum clad wood window that is about 20% cheaper than andersen but it's got higher u factors and not really that good unless unless you live in south central or south which then it's probably a good value.

    I don't mind answering any questions if you have then but I hope this helps with your home building based on my experiences with all these different brands and lots and lots of research and talking with vendors all the time.

    submitted by /u/JPF93
    [link] [comments]

    Should I seal new concrete patio?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 08:28 PM PDT

    We finished up our new concrete patio around early August. It's a plain concrete patio, no stain or stamping.

    the concrete guy sprayed a cure on top to allow adequate curing. But after asking, he told me there's no need to seal plain concrete like mine.

    idk if he's right but I can't find anything online stating what he's said. I've read that sealing concrete is very important as it lengthens it's quality of life or whatever.

    The concrete guy did specify he used ONLY a curing compound. No cure and seal.

    this is what the concrete looks like

    https://i.imgur.com/WYjtBeP.jpg

    submitted by /u/nutsackhurts
    [link] [comments]

    Unknown breakers in electrical panel

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    We moved in a year ago but never really looked into the breaker box. I just got my electric bill and it's showed us using the most kWh in the last 13 months. Ac/heat wasn't even on. My nest showed 2 hours usage. So something is using it.

    I started troubleshooting and turned off a set of breaker and waited an hour. Did this until I found the breaker causing it. Unfortunately the breaker is NOT listed. I also found 4 others that were incorrectly labeled and unknown. I kept all 5 breakers off for now.

    What should I do to figure out what these 5 breakers are for?

    One of them is a listed as a panel board outlet? Anyone know what this is?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/baldiesrt
    [link] [comments]

    Toilet won’t stop running unless I hit this

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:45 AM PDT

    My toilet continually runs even after the tank has filled. It did this once before and I tightened this part circled and it fix the problem for a few months. It is not fixing it now. It will stop running if I tapped this part. Any suggestions on permanently fixing it?

    https://i.postimg.cc/br99BJNk/0-EF62-E57-6-DA8-42-A2-9-F10-8-D66-E091-BF05.jpg

    submitted by /u/molder5
    [link] [comments]

    My 15+ year old fridge/freezer is slowly dying and not cold enough. What could I do to make it colder?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 10:06 PM PDT

    My 15+ year old fridge/freezer is slowly dying and not cold enough. It turns off occasionally on its own and anything in the freezer defrosts for a few hours before it turns on again. I noticed some ice accumulating in the back of the freezer underneath where the cold air blows, so I removed the blocks of ice. I feel like it's near death. What could I do to make it colder until it dies on me completely? Bags of ice? Dry ice?

    submitted by /u/fergi6777
    [link] [comments]

    Don't know where else to post, really need help.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    Just got a bidet and I need to get my toilet seat off my toilet. I've uncovered the screws I think I need to unscrew but the thing is, they're big and plastic and they screw forever and don't come out. It isn't something obvious like I'm screwing the wrong way, I even checked by trying both ways.

    No idea what to do and obviously I'm very new to this sort of thing, any help would be greatly appreciated! Can post pictures if needed.

    submitted by /u/throwawayanxietsyyyy
    [link] [comments]

    Dishwasher leaking but only sometimes!

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    A couple of weeks ago I submitted a post about my leaking dishwasher. I had a plumber come to inspect, but we could not replicate the leak, and he took his $125 fee and went on his way. He suggested to keep using it as normal, since we have never before had this issue. He was convinced it was a one time issue.

    I used it normally for a week, but this past weekend, it leaked again. And much worse. The only thing that changed was me running the washing machine at the same time as the dishwasher. Thoughts? I've noticed some other drains in my house being slow to drain, which got me thinking: are these issues related? What would you do if you were me?

    Located in the Midwest, live in the city and use city sewer lines.

    submitted by /u/thisthingiscursed
    [link] [comments]

    Low water pressure

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    First time home owner, we've owned the house for a year with no water pressure issues. Recently the pressure has gone down significantly throughout the whole house. It makes showering very difficult. Both hot and cold are low pressured. We have a well. Are there things I can possibly check to self diagnose and fix myself? When running the shower, the water pressure gauge starts around 60 and settles around 50. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/West164
    [link] [comments]

    Issue with shower water temperature

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, Apologies in advance if this is the wrong sub for this. This is my first post here. I recently moved into a new apartment and have been having a weird issue with the water temperature of my shower and its been driving me crazy to figure out. For reference, the handle is off at the 3 o'clock position and at max at the 9 o'clock position.

    When I turn the handle on, the water will be cold until about 8 o'clock, at which point it becomes scalding hot. When I go to cool it back down to a decent temperature, I have to turn it to 4 o'clock but if I go even slightly past, it gets cold again. The it stays cold back to 8 o'clock without any gradient in between. My fix has been to run it super hot, then find a sweet spot as it cools down but sometimes it takes a few tries.

    Essentially, it's incredibly hard to find a warm temperature. I'm a bit worried about the waste of water since it takes so long to get the temperature right, but otherwise this is a relatively minor inconvenience. I'd still appreciate any advice on what might be causing this and if any fix is something I could do myself. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/tooch_my_gooch
    [link] [comments]

    82 y.o. Row-house Foundation crack. Buy or pass?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    Looking at a row house and the inspector pointed out a crack in the party wall. Obviously we need to get an engineer in there to take a look but does anyone have any thoughts? Should we pass on this? Other than this house is in good shape. Needs normal work for a house its age. I'm not afraid of a project but I will say this makes me a little nervous.

    https://imgur.com/a/VvtUung

    https://imgur.com/a/Esy3q1W

    submitted by /u/joeystates
    [link] [comments]

    Wall is too narrow to install a new exhaust fan. What to do?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    The outside wall in our laundry room is 2.5" wide. It's in dire need of ventilation. Most wall exhaust fans I am looking at need at least a 4" wide wall. What should I do? Build a soffit to accommodate it?

    EDIT: Pictures

    submitted by /u/noondi34
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment