• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 24, 2020

    Home Improvement: 24 year old Single Dad here and Just bought my first fixer-upper! Need help on picking out a color combo for the siding of the house :(

    Home Improvement: 24 year old Single Dad here and Just bought my first fixer-upper! Need help on picking out a color combo for the siding of the house :(


    24 year old Single Dad here and Just bought my first fixer-upper! Need help on picking out a color combo for the siding of the house :(

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/QTzz4Oz

    Located in Tennessee

    House built in 1972

    ~1500sqft

    Beautiful brown composite deck in the back

    I'm getting overwhelmed with picking out a new color scheme for the home. I want to go with something totally different.

    Would vertical sidings look good vs horizontal on this house?

    Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/lilkhmerkid4u
    [link] [comments]

    Proud of myself for doing the offset for the conduit under the window on the first try this time!

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    The last couple of times I needed a practice pipe or two. This time it fit perfectly! Going to be nice having outlets that aren't a fire hazard anymore. http://imgur.com/gallery/8Ea3f3a

    submitted by /u/rainytreeday
    [link] [comments]

    Hollow under concrete slab?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    Had a new concrete floor poured in my single car garage a little while ago. The new slab was higher than the old one so they added gravel, compacted, and poured fibre reinforced concrete with a broom brush finish. The next day they came back and cut control joints in a "+" shape.

    Everything looks fine, but when I walk in the middle of the floor in socked or bare feet, it sounds like there's a hollow under the floor (if I'm wearing shoes they make too much noise to hear the sound). I'm not even sure how this is even possible? How could the gravel have sunk away after the slab was poured? Should I call the contractor back? Functionally there's nothing wrong, so I'm not sure what they could even do.

    submitted by /u/YBkCxOmlOi
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom attic - new build

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 06:12 PM PDT

    Was wondering how and where to start contacting companies/people for a bathroom attic - new build.

    It'll sit right above another bathroom on the 2nd floor, which is above the powder room on the main floor. We're looking to spend about $5k for a simple bathroom with a standing shower.

    Any tips?

    submitted by /u/hchannel
    [link] [comments]

    Rotting section under exterior front door...how to best fix?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:23 AM PDT

    So I recently got a new puppy, and during her time outdoors we discovered she was chewing on something near the front door. Turns out it the section under the front door itself! Pics here

    That section is very much rotted. And I discovered the opposite corner is equally as soft and likely rotted underneath. The whole section spans 72" L x 7"H x 1.25"D.

    Since I'm a complete newbie, what's the best way to go about replacing this? Is it best to just replace with pressure treated wood, paint, and be done with it? (like this)

    Or is it worth looking into PVC trim or some other solution (this?)

    Thanks

    EDIT: Anyone have recommendations for construction adhesive that will serve the purpose of adhering the PVC trim to the concrete?

    submitted by /u/soundbytegfx
    [link] [comments]

    Water Leak!

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    I have found a water leak by using this trick: https://i.imgur.com/0s1021Z.png

    I put blue dye into the top of the toilet and it leaked into the bowl. Where do I go from here to fix the leak? Thanks in advance, I've seen some helpful posts in this sub and this is my first time posting here.

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_UR_UGLY_FACE
    [link] [comments]

    How do I hang a new mantel using existing holes in the fireplace brick if they aren't level

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    The previous owner of my home had a cheap Ikea floating shelf hung as a mantel over the fireplace. I removed it and threw it out and painted the fireplace brick. To avoid putting more holes in the brick, I'm trying to reuse the existing holes and install new anchors. The new mantel I'm putting up just needs a 2x4 screwed into the brick, then the hollow mantel slides over the 2x4, similar to a french cleat.

    My issue is, if I put a level across all 3 pre-drilled holes they aren't level with themselves. That's ok, as long as the edge of the 2x4 ends up being level. I'm going to need to make some kind of template to transfer the hole locations in the wall to the 2x4 and level it there.

    Any ideas to make this easier?

    Picture of the existing holes and anchors here: https://imgur.com/a/uzg1iGW

    submitted by /u/kylenoland
    [link] [comments]

    I’m a millennial and therefore want to paint a giant ugly beige brick fireplace. What alternatives would you recommend?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 03:52 PM PDT

    It's real brick and hasn't been painted or lime washed this color. Our house is otherwise contemporary. If you advise not to do anything with the brick, any suggestions for making it work in this room?. picture here

    submitted by /u/j1cjoli
    [link] [comments]

    Shower stalls-curtain or sliding door?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    We have a single shower stall in our master that has older sliding glass doors. They are in ok shape but they have a lot of grooves in the bottom that collect water and sometimes turn moldy. I want to rip them out and put in a curtain to be budget friendly and get rid of the moldy issue. We have to sell the house in 2 or 3 years though and I'm wondering if a door less shower will take away value in our already not too amazing bathroom. Husband says try to ignore them but I'm curious how potential buyers will see it.

    submitted by /u/Spookypenguins2
    [link] [comments]

    What are you working on this weekend?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    Either large projects or small,

    Cleaning up or prepping for the cooler months,

    What are you working on?

    submitted by /u/NHarvey3DK
    [link] [comments]

    What is this hole in my basement?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    Hello,

    First time homeowner in northern North Dakota. Just closed on this house and while doing some other renovation work I discovered this hole in the basement. It was covered by a carpeted pad that looked like the bottom to a cat tree, so the home inspector didn't check under it because it smelled like cat urine. I pulled it off to throw it away and heres what was under it: https://i.imgur.com/myMOPWf.jpg The blue bucket in the hole has holes drilled throughout the sides and is pretty damn old, maybe a half inch of stagnant water in the bottom. Around the outside of the bucket is a bunch of pea gravel. My assumption is that this is where the old sump used to be, as there is a comparatively newer one in another section of the basement.

    Since I'm assuming this hole is unnecessary, my plan is to fill it with pea gravel and then quickcrete over it or use some self leveling concrete. Is that bad decision?

    The house was built in the mid 1950s, let me know if you need more info.

    submitted by /u/trunkmonkay
    [link] [comments]

    Coax/circuit breaker question

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 05:54 PM PDT

    Ok, I recently bought this house so everything is still a bit of a mystery. I also know next to nothing about houses so even better...

    I was installing a light fixture in my foyer today, so I shut off the corresponding breaker, went to install the fixture and found a bunch of medieval wiring that needs the attention of an electrician ASAP, so I capped it and didn't install the fixture after all. Just didn't feel right so figured I'd hold off.

    I left that breaker off, since I those wires, albeit capped, are just dangling over my front door. Sorta scary...Then I go to use the internet and see that while my modem is powered on, I'm not getting any signal. I call Xfinity and they say there's no cable connection to my modem, but they can see that my modem is powered on.

    I go back to the basement and turn the foyer breaker back on, and suddenly I have signal again...Why on earth would the coax cable be connected to the breaker? Is that normal?

    I should also note that this is my second modem in a month because my first one randomly died the second day I had it. Strait up turned off and wouldn't turn on again.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/nothingbutregretz
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of screws for installing new subfloor? I can't find any regular screws, only ones for belt fed guns.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    What kind of screws for installing new subfloor? I can't find any regular screws, only ones for belt fed guns.

    I've calculated that I'll need about 82 per sheet. 738 screws total for 9 sheets.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/trowdatawhey
    [link] [comments]

    How to maintain wooden flooring and even repair scuffs?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    I just bought a house with wooden flooring throughout. Curious if anyone has any advice on regular maintenance such as cleaning using specific products as well as options of sanding, refinishing etc?

    There are also some pretty bad scuffs and scratches, so if there is anyway to restore I'd be all ears. Pic below is an example of a bad area

    http://imgur.com/gallery/oRbG3NX

    submitted by /u/Farquea
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone recommend two mechanical door chimes that sound different?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    Can anyone recommend two mechanical door chimes that sound different? I need them on two floors and want them to have different chime.

    submitted by /u/olivesnow
    [link] [comments]

    Question about installing new door frames

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    I'm in the process of installing new door frames since the old ones weren't in good shape and I've noticed so far with the two I've removed, there's a bit of a gap at the head of the frame. Maybe like an inch or so. I'm using the finger jointed wood that I bought at Lowe's which is what was used before. Is this normal to have that much of a gap or should I use another piece of wood to make the frame flush with the top? When I removed the top I noticed they basically just shot brad or finish nails through the gap to secure it. I'm going to be installing bifold doors since they're for closets and just want to make sure it's a solid frame. It appears Lowe's doesn't make the finger jointed wood any taller since the new pieces I bought would have that same gap.

    submitted by /u/lauraesh0384
    [link] [comments]

    Old house, steep wooden stairs to the bedroom. My hubby slipped down the stairs today because of his socks. What’s a pretty and effective way to prevent my house from killing my husband via the staircase?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 08:46 PM PDT

    See above^

    submitted by /u/Dangermeowz
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions on how we can install an air conditioner (or find alternate cooling relief)

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    Greetings all, first time posting here. I live in a small two-bedroom apartment in a Northeast U.S. city. We have a window A.C. unit in each of the bedrooms, but our main living area gets extremely hot and we can't figure out how to cool it.

    There are three windows in this space:

    1+2) Only 15 inches wide, both have bars installed

    3) 44 inches wide but is our only access point to the fire escape, so we are reluctant to block it with a window unit. Plus if we install one in this window (in front of the fire escape) we need to consider our security from people trying to enter this way.

    Are we missing some obvious solution, a truly miniature window unit that's only a foot wide?? We have tried fans, and leaving the A.C. units on in the bedrooms all the time, but they don't throw that much cool down the long hall to the living area. Suggestions very welcome! Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/happyhippomom
    [link] [comments]

    Paint bubbles

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    I'm repainting a room that I'm moving my boys into. I tried painting a light color over a dark color but realized it looked like crap. So I grabbed some primer to do the entire wall. Now it looks like absolute hell. What do I do? The entire wall is like this.

    paint bubble pictures.

    submitted by /u/bigtime44
    [link] [comments]

    Unpermitted bathroom

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    Im going to buy my first home and spotted that the main bathroom is not included in the 2D plan drawing of the home and there were no photos of the bathroom in the listing. I'm suspecting it was added without a permit. Checked on the city website and nothing there for the address. In the walkthrough I didn't spot this. It appears the seller may not want it documented. Should I use it as a negotiation lever in escrow as I think it will be noticed in inspections(if not I'll point it out)? Is that a good tactic or should I buy the home as is and just continue improving the bathroom along with the rest of the house without notifying my city? I'd be interested in knowing what options and potential liability I may have as the buyer. I'm in California as reference. Any guidance would be really appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Mindless-Time
    [link] [comments]

    Is my water heater busted?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    I realized that when my (old) gas water heater is heating, the humidity in the room increases significantly and a smoke detector placed in the same room goes off. Is this normal? I can also feel that the room is humid. is it possible that a small crack leaks water and creates steam? No leak is visible though. Or this can be just from combustion and faulty exhaust? Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

    submitted by /u/tiramisucks
    [link] [comments]

    Slow draining garbage disposal

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I noticed that my kitchen sink drains slowly on the side with the garbage disposal. At first I assumed the disposal must be clogged up, but over the past hour I feel like I've eliminated everything in the system and can't figure out what's causing the slow drain behavior. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

    Photo

    Info:

    • Both sides of the sink (garbage disposal and non-garbage disposal drain into the same sewer line. There is a tee beneath the sink that both connect to (see photo).
    • I've pulled the connecting pipes off both sides of the sink and both are relatively clear (there's some very, very minor gunk built up on the insides, but nothing that looks like it would cause problems).
    • I also ran an inspection camera down all of the pipes and didn't see anything abnormal.
    • I checked the clean out which is on the outside of the house immediate on the other side of the wall where the sink drains connect to the sewer pipe and didn't find anything abnormal.
    • I tested the flow of each side of the sink by dumping a large bowl of water (maybe 1.5-2 gallons?) down the drain and timing how long it took to go down the drain. The side with the disposal took 22 seconds while the side without a disposal took only 10 seconds. The 10 second side seemed to drain at a normal/expected pace while the side taking 22 seconds seemed to drain slowly.

    Since none of the pipes appear to be obstructed, I assumed that the disposal itself is what's causing the problem, HOWEVER, when I disconnected the disposal from the sewer line, put a bucket underneath it, and repeated the big bowl of water test, this time it drained in the same time as the other sink.

    These results seem to be contradictory. It seems like I've eliminated any problems with the drain line the disposal is connected to by visually inspecting all of the pipes, but when the disposal is connected to the sewer line it drains slowly, when it's not connected to the sewer line it drains normally.

    What black magic is this?

    submitted by /u/vrtigo1
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice for fixing ceiling around sprinkler

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    I just had a leaky sprinkler fixed in my ceiling but am now left well with a hole. I want to fix it myself but don't have any experience with this. How should I go about doing this? Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Ceiling

    submitted by /u/djbehar1
    [link] [comments]

    400sqft basement but only a 16in*8in crawlspace vent

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:16 PM PDT

    So our 1966 condo has a finished basement. I'm looking to improve ventilation and add an exhaust fan in the 16*8 space, next to the dryer vent, to replace the pathetic styrofoam left by the previous owner: https://imgur.com/a/9uePJQE

    My first choice is this one as its has temp and humidity sensors

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JNNC3TZ?pf_rd_r=8SNVWN1MB4GDHSTQSJQ4&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

    Its only 120CFM - and I know that for a 400sqft basement we need atleast 400cfm. The problem is that the tight space only allows for a tiny fan under 8inches.

    Any HVAC experts here who can chime in on my idea?

    submitted by /u/gullyBo1z
    [link] [comments]

    How much would it cost to convert a gas starter fireplace to a full gas burning fireplace?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:15 PM PDT

    Hi We're buying a home with a gas starter fireplace. In the home inspection, they said the chimney was really dirty and needed to be cleaned.

    Our plan is to have all of the ductwork in the home cleaned, and the chimney cleaned before we move in.

    After that.. I'd kind of like to have a fully gas fireplace like my parents do in their house, with the light switch that you flip to turn it on/off. Any ideas for what it would cost?

    I tried the piping in the basement, and there's just a keyed valve to turn on/off gas into the fireplace, and no electric starter there currently.

    submitted by /u/Badcooper45
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment