• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 25, 2020

    Home security: Self-monitoring security system w/ no monthly fees

    Home security: Self-monitoring security system w/ no monthly fees


    Self-monitoring security system w/ no monthly fees

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I'm looking at security systems and not finding anything that meets my exact criteria so far.

    What I'm looking for:

    1) No monthly fees

    2) Door alarms

    3) Motion sensors

    4) Ability to see a "history" from at least the last week

    5) Possibly window alarms

    I don't care about cameras being attached to this, and I don't need cellular connection or any sort of monitoring. This is mostly to do things like alert us if the (young) kids start moving around upstairs and such. Or if they've gone outside when they weren't supposed to-- that sort of thing. Would also be nice in terms of remembering when I left/returned as well.

    I've used Samsung Smartthings for this in the past, but I've been unhappy with their app and their sensors "sticking" in a certain mode when they go offline. Simplisafe seemed like the perfect thing for me, but not being able to have any over-the-network access to it without the monitoring plan kind of kills that for me.

    submitted by /u/drparton21
    [link] [comments]

    Home Security System Wolf Logo?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    Someone showed me a system about 6 months ago that I've been trying to find ever since. It has a wolf as a logo and for the hub you have two choices, white or black. I know that sounds vague but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/N3bula20
    [link] [comments]

    HOWTO securely access your NVR on your Smartphone without using the hardware provider cloud (without VPN)

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 04:14 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I see sometimes people wondering how to securely access their NVR or cameras on their smartphone (or from outside the LAN), without using the cloud servers from the hardware provider. Especially for Chinese brands that have built-in CCP backdoor...

    So here's what I did and why. First, I will assume that you have some knowledge on IP network, and on how to secure the NVR and cameras on your LAN (use the firewall to block both inbound and outbound traffic on router level, segregate on a separate VLAN if needed).

    What I wanted to achieve is the creation of a secure tunnel between my NVR and my smartphone, have an automatic authentication in order to make sure the smartphone is allowed (and possibly have several possible smartphone with each their own authentication), and have the tunnel working without the need to connect to my LAN (so not a VPN, just a tunnel on a dedicated port).

    To achieve that I used STUNNEL to create a double layered tunneling: one layer to create a secure TLS tunnel with a 2048 RSA key, and a second layer to have a client authentication with a 64 characters key dedicated to each smartphones.

    I used my home server, but it could work on a Raspberry Pi. I also use a dedicated NVR from the same vendor as the cameras, but it could work with a VMS (and even share the same PC as the VMS).

    1/ Generate certificates and keys:

    You'll need to generate a certificate for the server. To do so, you can use the CLI commands:

    openssl genrsa -out key.pem 2048 openssl req -new -key key.pem -out auth_cert.pem openssl x509 -req -days 3650 -in auth_cert.pem -signkey key.pem -out cert.pem 

    Those commands will generate a private key, then generate a certificate for signature request, and finally use that request to generate an self signed certificate for 10 years (you'll have to answer interactive questions to sign the certificate). Here the certificate is self-signed and it's enough since I check if the certificate is the correct one on the client side.

    Then generate a key for each clients:

    openssl rand -base64 64 

    And put them all in a file "psksecrets.txt" with a dedicated client name:

    client_name_1:generated_key_1 client_name_2:generated_key_2 client_name_3:generated_key_3 . . . 

    2/ Server side:

    On the server side, in the LAN, you'll need at least to install STUNNEL version 5.09 or higher.

    In the "stunnel.conf" file, use a configuration like the following one that to complete the provided example:

    cert = cert.pem key = key.pem [server_psk] accept = 12345 connect = 23456 ciphers = PSK PSKsecrets = psksecrets.txt [server_proxy] accept = 23456 connect = 192.168.1.123:34567 sslVersion = all ciphers = ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-DSS-AES128-GCM-SHA256:kEDH+AESGCM:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:DHE-DSS-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:DHE-DSS-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!RC4:!3DES:!MD5:!PS options = NO_SSLv2 options = NO_SSLv3 options = CIPHER_SERVER_PREFERENCE 

    In that example, 192.168.1.123:34567 is IP and port to access the NVR (for me a Xiongmai NVR). 23456 is port used to chain the two tunnels. 12345 is the entry port for the connection, it's this port that need to be forwarded to the WAN. I filtered out the weak ciphers for the first tunnel.

    3/ Smartphone side:

    On each smartphones, you also need to install STUNNEL version 5.09 or higher. With an Android smartphone, you can use the app called SSLSocks, it works great.

    In the client "stunnel.conf" file, use a configuration like the following one to complete the provided example:

    client = yes [client_psk] accept = 23456 connect = your_domain_name:12345 PSKsecrets = psksecrets.txt [client_proxy] accept = 34567 connect = 23456 CAfile = cert.pem verifyPeer = yes 

    And in the client "psksecrets.txt" just copy the line for that specific client from the server file:

    client_name_1:generated_key_1 

    In that example, your_domain_name:12345 is your domain name (it also works with your public IP) and public port to access the tunnel. 23456 is port used to chain the two tunnels. 34567 on the localhost (IP 127.0.0.1) is the port and IP to use by the smartphone CCTV app you use (for instance XMEye). You authenticate using the client_name_1 key.

    4/ How does it work?

    The communication will work like that:

    Smartphone CCTV app <--> [client_proxy] <--> [client_psk] <=WAN=> [server_psk] <--> [server_proxy] <=LAN=> NVR 

    <--> is traffic on localhost (internal to the device), <=LAN=> is LAN traffic, <=WAN=> is two layer tunneled WAN traffic, and [] is specific STUNNEL configuration steps.

    When you'll connect with the client to the first tunnel, you'll check if the server is the correct one (by checking the server certificate and comparing with a local copy of it, to avoid Man In The Middle) and establish a 2048 RSA strong TSL connection. Then the client will connect to the second tunnel using its key, and the server will allow that connection only if that same key is known in his own keys file.

    That way we first make sure the server is the correct one and establish a strong connection, and after we make sure the client is allowed and establish a less secure connection on top of the first one. Keep in mind the whole second connection is done through the first one, so it's VERY secure.

    The Android SSLSocks app works very well, and you can have it always ON from the startup in the background. The tunneling will establish on demand when you access the smartphone CCTV app: No need to activate/deactivate SSLSocks, it's completely transparent for the end user. And you won't be connected to your LAN like you would with a VPN.

    submitted by /u/shellbross
    [link] [comments]

    High Quality and Discreet Camera

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    My boss recently tasked me with finding a discreet camera with high quality audio and video capture. I believe the audio quality will be the most important part of the camera. I do have drop ceilings to work with as well as 2 computers in the same room that I could use as capture devices. He hasn't defined a budget and I'm sure whatever it costs will be more than worth it. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Shm0_
    [link] [comments]

    Need Compatible Home Security Components For Old Alarm Panel

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am currently renovating a condo that I recently purchased and I'm in the process of changing out the telecom wall plates (with proper structured wiring), replacing the old thermostat with a smart thermostat, and have a question about an old security system that was installed when the condo was built around 2003.

    I 'do not' plan on using the security system, but while I have the interior painted of my home, I want to replace the old 'yellowish' components (keypad, motion detector, and siren) after they finish patching holes and painting. If you look at the attached photos of the existing alarm panel and system components, are there any recommended components (keypad, motion detector, and siren) that will work with my system? I want to make these available to the next renter, or possible owner. All of these components have a hard wired connection back to the panel.

    Thanks in advance!

    https://imgur.com/a/iRDbBfs

    submitted by /u/gil_happy
    [link] [comments]

    Update to IPC-HFW4300S-V2?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 11:43 AM PDT

    Is there a FW version that can run on this unit beyond the 2014-11-03 version?

    I've tried updating several versions but upon upload, the camera reports file unmatch and reboots (similar to those experienced in THIS thread).

    Device Type IPC-HFW4300S-V2 Software Version 2.420.0004.0.R, build : 2014-11-03 WEB Version 3.2.1.229556 ONVIF Version 2.4.1 

    submitted by /u/poldim
    [link] [comments]

    Adding Wifi Camera to Swann DVR?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:46 AM PDT

    I have a Swann security camera kit with 6 wired cameras and a DVR. I had an older Swann kit at my old house and I remember in the computer software, I could manually add cameras via their IP (even though they weren't Swann). I have a Littlelf wifi camera I bought to monitor indoors, and am wondering how I can go about adding it (if possible) to the Swann DVR? Would I have to use a different software?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Nervous-Bandicoot-66
    [link] [comments]

    House pre-wired for alarm but no contact magnets on door/windows?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 07:27 AM PDT

    I just moved into a house that had been pre-wired for an alarm but it was never used. I can see there are recessed contacts in the door jabs and window frames, but I can't find any magnets or anything on the windows or doors themselves. Is this common? Do I need to add magnets?

    submitted by /u/TCTDOIndividuality
    [link] [comments]

    Tuya Camera that can write to NAS share

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 06:58 AM PDT

    I discovered a xiaomi cam that can write to a NAS share. It just opens the drive and writes to a folder like an sd card. It doesn't use the NAS IPcam support or the synology licenses etc.

    The rest of my home is Tuya, I wondered if any similar thing exists in the Tuya world. I'd rather not deal with xiaomi the chn server and its app.

    submitted by /u/tab21
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment