• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 6, 2020

    Home security: Security camera system

    Home security: Security camera system


    Security camera system

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 05:49 PM PDT

    Hey folks,

    We're in the process of building a new house, and after several break ins and a vehicle theft at my current house I want to have a good camera system. I was originally thinking of doing a ubiquiti system (since I have a UDM Pro and POE switch), but they're really pricy and I'm not sure a single UDM Pro can handle 11 cameras. I also saw synology has a system, but their NAS seem to be pretty limited in the number of cameras a single nas can support (not talking about licensing). I've also seen people talk about blue iris and using a PC.

    Here's a diagram of my floor plan (bottom of diagram is front of house), and the red dots are where i have cat6 POE drops going for cameras: https://imgur.com/a/a7vTanjh

    I currently have 11 drops planned for cameras.

    Things I want: 1. Minimal to no yearly fee. 2. Person detection with notifications (configurable per camera). 3. Good quality cameras that aren't unreasonably priced. I think I want them to be 4K. 4. 7 days of local retention. 5. High availability/reliability - I don't want to have to mess with it once it's set up.

    Open Questions: 1. Do I have sufficient coverage with where I've placed my POE drops? Is it excessive and should I remove some? 2. What do folks recommend for cameras and storage? Given that I have a POE switch, I don't really want a built in NVR from a company like Lorex - I'd rather have something that is either directly integrated with the hardware I have now (ubiquiti) or something that allows me to take advantage of many camera manufacturers. 3. Assuming I have 11 cameras at 4K, what kind of hardware am I going to need?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/blounsbury
    [link] [comments]

    How to secure sliding windows

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    I'm about to move into a new rental which has an older sliding window that can be accessed from the ground. I've noticed two issues with it and looking for advice for how to secure it. I already have 2 dowels: one to hold it shut and one to hold it open a couple inches for airflow.

    The first issue is that it's very easy to lift the window from the frame. I was able to do it in a couple seconds while holding something else. There is even a bit of a gap at the top on one side, so very loosely fit. Because of that top gap, I'm worried about whether a screw drilled into the top frame would be enough.

    The second issue is that the window is not secured/held in place on either side. The screen is the only thing preventing the normally stationary side from sliding, and would be even easier than the window to remove. So I would need something to secure the window to the frame to prevent it from being opened even if the screen is removed.

    For reference, the frame is wood and the tracks are metal.

    submitted by /u/seerwatch77
    [link] [comments]

    Lorex Wifi Camera Systems

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm looking for a good high quality WiFi camera and I've been eyeing the Lorex 1080p LWF2080B.

    They have everything I want in a camera including 24/7 recording, IP66 weatherproof for cold Canadian winters and zoning/motion detection.

    I've tried and returned the Arlo Pro 3 as the active zones and motion detection didn't work well to say the least. I'd have an active zone setup in my yard and vehicle motion detection turned off, and I'd still get motion detection notifications when vehicles drive by on the street. I'd also have to almost be standing in front of the camera for it to detect me straight on, even with sensitivity turned all the way up.

    Has anyone used Lorex WiFi Cameras before? What are your thoughts on them? How is the motion detection/zoning on these cameras?

    Would you recommend any other WiFi cameras besides Lorex? I've also been looking at some of Swanns WiFi cameras as well as EufyCam 2C that's available on Amazon.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/slushie365
    [link] [comments]

    Question on Motion Sensor Placement (Eufy Home Security)

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 10:55 PM PDT

    Hello All,

    I am in the process of purchasing a Eufy Home Security kit and I had a question on where I should put a motion sensor to get the best coverage.

    I have two bedrooms (bedroom and office) in a one story home. They both face the front of the house and both have large windows. I want to have motion sensors set up in a way to make sure that if someone attempted to enter either room my system would go off.

    I have a wall that faces the doors to both rooms, and the wall has clear line of site to the windows (through each doorway). The wall is about 20 ft to the window.

    Here are the options I was looking at:

    Option 1: Get two motion sensors and place them in each room.

    Option 2: Get one motion sensor and place it on the wall, with line of site to the windows, through the open doors.

    My questions in regards to Option 1 would be, would the motion sensor sense motion through an open doorway? Also, if someone closed the door, would that trigger the motion sensor? My question for Option 2 would be, is a motion sensor in each room too much?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Theolodin
    [link] [comments]

    Couple steals a Ring camera... but apparently we can't post videos or crosspost on r/homesecurity

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    Thief casing in broad day light?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Was at my friends place today. We decided to sit front of the house since garage was open to let it air out. After a while we noticed this suspicious guy walking the street. Almost No one walks around there. It was in broad day light. He was walking weirdly and would turn back to check us after passing by. He passed by at least 3 times. Every single time he would look our way and once past us he would check back. Do you think he was casing the street? What would you recommend doing in these type situations. I wonder if the guy is a regular caser, maybe a camera would help deter him?

    submitted by /u/altamarus
    [link] [comments]

    SuretyHome for SkyBell video recording only?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 04:49 PM PDT

    I have a Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ that came with my new house, currently tied in with "Safe Haven", an ADT dealer, for a 3-year smart home package. There's a Z-Wave lock on the door, a Z-Wave smart outlet, and a SkyBell Slim. I currently can control this stuff on the panel, with Alexa, or using alarm.com.

    What I don't have is saved video recording from the video doorbell. It just gives live video. I saw that suretyhome.com has a $4/month "surety view" plan. So, my question is if I can get my videos saved via suretyhome and continue to have everything else working. At the end of this 3-year smart home deal, I would go all the way and do everything through suretyhome, but until then I just need to record the video. It's come in handy a few times, already.

    submitted by /u/motsanciens
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone use or have any experience with powerline adapters?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 06:50 AM PDT

    Looking at installing 3 cameras where running cable would not be feasible. Are powerline adapters fairly reliable? Do I also need a POE injector between the powerline adapter and camera?

    submitted by /u/timn420
    [link] [comments]

    Reolink system recommendation? 5MP or 4K?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    I've been researching systems and have settled on the reolink brand. But I'm on the fence between their 4 camera NVR system bundles. I may need to expand a few more cameras and definitely include a Argus 2 WiFi one that's already running.

    I've heard it recommended to always get the highest resolution since you're always seeing things at a distance. Looks like it's only $50 difference on Amazon.

    Though it's not in the immediate plans I thought it would be nice to have some universality and interoperability in this setup. I hear that the 5MP are more compatible with other systems and that the 4K is not really onvif compliant. Also is it possible to put non reolink cameras on the NVR? Like I wanted to do a Wyze cam here or there for funsies.

    submitted by /u/Baldacchino
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to record audio in condo 24/7 with timestamps

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    I am looking for software and hardware to be able to record audio in my condo. I want it to be able to continue recording and saving the recording as it goes. If it goes down for whatever reason, I want it to be able to save whatever was recorded into a server. I want to be able to see timestamps as well. Is there software specifically for this?

    submitted by /u/poobiess
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for camera mounting suggestions

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    I just bought a couple of Blink XT2. One to cover my basement door, the other to cover a slope that runs from my driveway into my backyard.

    For the basement door, I just had motion lights installed. If anyone approaches that area it's lit up nicely. For here, should I mount the camera somewhere above the light? Maybe 1' above the light is a support for my deck, I could mount it there so it looks down in that area. Or I could mount it a on a beam that runs out from the house so if someone approaches the basement from the area near the driveway it would catch them.

    For the area near the driveway that slopes down, I was thinking of mounting the camera between a couple of windows 8' above the ground, so if someone walked down I'd catch them at the top of the slope itself.

    Recommendations? I could put a couple of sketches together if it helps.

    submitted by /u/GreedyOkra4
    [link] [comments]

    Eufy Cam2 system range capability for rural, secluded acreages and outbuildings?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    I would be interested in knowing about the range of the Eufy Cam2 cameras, due to the fact that we live out in the country where we have recently learned that there is a lot of methamphetamine activity around our nearest town and have recently learned that this past Saturday night we had a guy on our property parked way back in the weeds where he could watch our home and likely did for a while, as well as being parked in a second secluded spot a little later... all while we slept!... before attempting to enter our home through the back door. From what my son said, it sounded like someone was banging hard enough on the back door of our house at 2:25 am Sunday morning that it sounded like a sledgehammer, we think he was trying to get in. We also have a couple outbuildings that he may have prowled around and I want to put cameras on them, but I am wondering if Eufy Cam2 would have the range capability to reach 90 feet away to the closest building or even 150 feet away to the second building or even 180 feet to the rear side of the furthest building if the base is in our kitchen, which is the side of the home that faces our outbuildings. Any input regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking we are going to buy the Eufy Cam2 system for home for sure, but I am hoping that I can have the options of using a couple of add-on Eufy Cam2s to survey the outbuildings. We don't want a subscription and want to control the system ourselves like Eufy does. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/151fairfax
    [link] [comments]

    Security suggestions for renting a home.

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I've just signed a lease for a house that's been split into three apartments. I'm not so much worried about my new neighbors as I am the neighborhood.

    Any suggestions for temporary security that doesn't involve installing since the property isn't mine? I don't expect any problems but I would sleep better knowing it won't be easy to get in.

    submitted by /u/Grazedaze
    [link] [comments]

    Is a deadbolt necessary?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    I know that deadbolt locks are significantly harder to compromise than the locks in doorknobs, and that doorknob locks can be picked without much expertise. My question is whether or not this difference matters if you live in a low crime area. To me, it seems like if someone is set enough on breaking into my house that they would pick the lock or break through the door then they would just as easily break a window. Is this a very naive position, or does it have any validity? My house many exterior doors for whatever reason and I'm thinking it would be better to just get a latchkey knob so that it will automatically lock rather than having to install a bunch of deadbolts.

    submitted by /u/tokun_
    [link] [comments]

    Assume I wonder the lottery. Which high-end camera system should I get?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    In other words if money was no object, which system is "best"? Things that are important to me:

    • Ease of use
    • Night vision
    • People detection
    • User interface
    • NVR

    I live in the sticks, 2 hours from the biggest town. The nearest vendor only does Paradox system which the previous owner installed, I hate, I can't pull it up on my phone, it's difficult to use and I want to upgrade. I'm not very technical so I need an "easy" system to troubleshoot. Recommendations on a new system? I do have POE throughout.

    I'd like a high-end system that I can remotely monitor when I travel, as my property is far away from everything. And I wish I would win the lottery, but I haven't yet.

    submitted by /u/WheeeeeThePeople
    [link] [comments]

    Home Security Noob - Looking for Beginner recommendations on Simplisafe/Smart Bulbs - UK

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 03:11 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

    I am looking at recommendations for my first entry level home security system for a ground floor 1 bed flat, as I will soon be travelling away from the UK for work every few weeks (effectively a FIFO work visa).

    I've been googling Simplisafe packages and the custom/beginners bundle looks good - but have also been assessing other options like a Nest camera with smart bulbs coming on at a certain time while I am away.

    As mentioned, I have a GF 1 bed flat in a Georgian townhouse, which has an open plan living space, so the front door is visible from basically everywhere in the flat.

    The bedroom window faces the street (ground floor) and the rest of the property (basically the open living room with 2 large windows) backs on to a battle axe block which is sealed off with high fencing and neighbour gardens.

    The main objective would be motion sensing and cameras so I can monitor the property while I am away, coupled with the "smart bulbs" to give the illusion of someone being home (I've never used these before).

    Could I canvass some opinions here on Simplisafe and other beginner options? £250 seems a bit steep for initial payment (factoring in the monthly pro subscription too). I do have house insurance while I'm renting here, but obviously prevention/deterrence is the key.

    For every positive review on Simplisafe/Nest here there seems to be a horror story and refund/security issues, so this is why I'm reaching out to the reddit tribe for some recent views and recommendations.

    Cheers in advance! :-)

    submitted by /u/boston1092
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment