• Breaking News

    Monday, September 7, 2020

    Home security: My car got broken into in front of my gf's apartment and there are armed guards on the premises 24/7

    Home security: My car got broken into in front of my gf's apartment and there are armed guards on the premises 24/7


    My car got broken into in front of my gf's apartment and there are armed guards on the premises 24/7

    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    I'm pissed off and feel violated. All my things was strewn about everywhere in the car and trunk. My glove compartment was left open, they broke the middle compartment and they left the drivers side door open as well. My car was parked on the street right in front of the apartment complex which has armed guards on the premises 24/7. I'm not even sure what they stole because they left some of my hand tools(box set of wrenches and ratchets). I'm also not sure why I made this post. Maybe I just needed to vent.

    submitted by /u/Flag_Route
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an inexpensive Pan-Tilt camera with POE.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 05:38 PM PDT

    I have 2 old (like ~10 years old) Pan/Tilt POE cameras that have worked like champs. I'd like to move into 2k or better yet 4k and just replace my cameras without having to pull a power line or use a bulky POE splitter. Does anyone know of a good, inexpensive (under $100) Pan-Tilt camera?

    Why did all the manufacturers seem to give up on POE?

    submitted by /u/mldkfa
    [link] [comments]

    How Do I Reinforced My Doors?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    Hello Y'all, I've been looking for some ways to make my home more secure during these time especially after someone I know was mugged at gun point in front of their house in a relatively safe neighborhood. My home consist of one solid wood front door and 2 sliding glass door in the back patio and deck. So far I have a section of steel tube blocking the sliding glass doors with glass break sensor coming soon and most likely security film in the near future. My biggest issue is the front door. On both side of the front door is an opaque glass windows and an inch and a half of wood between the windows and the door, so I can't put a 3 inch screw in without hitting the windows. There are security motion sensor lights around the house already and will be installing some camera soon. Any idea how to reinforce the front door?

    Edit: I have a steel mesh security door as well but the way it's installed, it's not very secure

    submitted by /u/LifeofPCIE
    [link] [comments]

    Suspected Home Thief - Seeking Discreet Security Camera Advice

    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    I'm looking for recommendations on a camera that would be small and discreet, wireless, battery powered, and preferably can record to local storage. I live with a thief and I'm positive of who it is, but we need evidence before taking action against them and the situation is much more complicated than I can detail here. We already have a few cameras, but with the thief being someone who lives in the house they are able to conveniently turn them off or block the camera's view when they're up to no good.

    So far I've considered the Blink XT2, but that doesn't record to local storage. Otherwise, this would seemingly be perfect. I do suppose I could get a cellular router for it, but that might get expensive. Another option I've found is the Argus 2, but it's a little larger and would be harder to hide. I've found various other "spy-cams" online, but they're all cheaply made, unreliable, and require frequent charging or hard-wiring. Can anyone recommend me something to fit my needs? My budget is pretty flexible, but under $300 would be best.

    submitted by /u/TheGeekOverlord
    [link] [comments]

    Moving into a 5th Wheel

    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    My wife and I are buying a 5th wheel to move out of state so we can get the house ready for showing without our critters underfoot. I'd like advice for security for a 5th wheel when we aren't there. I will be sleeping there at night, and personal weapons will not be left there unattended. I'm thinking cameras, etc that wont require drilling and can be removed when we are towing.

    submitted by /u/togisaur
    [link] [comments]

    Help with wireless outdoor cameras?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    So our driveway is 300ft long. Is there at all a wireless camera that is along the lines of ring that would work. I am wanting something that while my son is home if he calls and says 'there is someone at the bottom of the driveway i can pull up the camera and see them.

    submitted by /u/HKFukIt
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for suggestions on home security cameras (using HomeAssistant.io and Samsung Smartthings)

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 10:35 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    First, I'm running HomeAssistant.io using raspberry pi paired with Samsung Smartthings hub.

    I'm looking for a 1080p or higher resolution home security system that pairs well with the above systems.

    The features I'm looking for include:-Easy to view on smartphone/laptop/desktop from any location (i.e. remotely as well as from LAN)

    -Can send alerts to smartphone

    -Has no monthly fee, I want to manage the entire setup myself

    -Has at least some cloud storage solution that's free, even if it's just 24 hours.

    -Can send alerts based on movement, specifically things can inside a pre-defined activity zone within the camera's view

    -Needs to work well in low light/dark (live in the PNW, it's cloudy and rainy a lot here).

    -Does well at distances 30ft and beyond for visual quality.

    -Very low latency when sending alerts to smartphones

    -Immediately records movement (i.e. no lag between an event and the actual capturing and notifying of the event).

    -Being able to control any aspect of the setup (or receive notifications) via Amazon Alexa device would be a plus, but isn't necessary. Things like Alexa announcing movement from certain cameras, etc. Not a need, but would be nice.

    My goal would be to setup a camera system that covers my yard, but can alert based on movement during certain hours of the day (and adjust it based on the settings of my smart home. Example: at night my home sensors alert me for everything, but during the day or when we are home it doesn't alert, that kind of thing. We do this already with our door/window/etc sensors).

    I can wall-power every camera, although may not be able to get ethernet cable to reach each spot, so something with wireless capability would be great.

    I've looked at things like Arlo Pro 2, etc, but am curious about alternatives that work great with HomeAssistant.io and samsung smartthings.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SharkOnGames
    [link] [comments]

    PoE system with app and motion detection?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 07:46 PM PDT

    I am looking for a PoE system with NVR that has 24/7 recording and motion detection that I can get alerts to my phone while I'm at work or away.

    Does this exist? Or would I have to choose one of the WiFi cam systems?

    I tried looking at Blue Iris but I couldn't get enough information to see if it's everything I need.

    This would also need to have share ability with my family. Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/2020milk
    [link] [comments]

    How do I replace an aging drive in the NVR with a new drive and still keep the data?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 12:37 AM PDT

    I have a hikvision NVR and there seem to be some SMART errors. I want to ensure 2 things -

    1) I replace the drive before it conks out.
    2) How do I move the data from the old drive to the new?

    I want to be able to access the old data once the new drive is in place. Any suggestions on how best to achieve this?

    submitted by /u/maverhick
    [link] [comments]

    Advice needed: Long wire run capable security camera systems

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    Hi, first time poster. I've read through the wiki, and done research, but I'm a bit at a loss. Lately we've had some things happen with trespassers that have me concerned and I want to get cameras up ASAP.

    Situation:

    1. The camera(s) at the head of the driveway would be ~500ft from our home
    2. There are no auxiliary electric outlets between the home and the end of the driveway
    3. Location is in Minnesota so would need cold capable cameras/housings
    4. Our home internet speeds are a dumpster fire ~9mbs down/ 0.5mbs up, it's slow, but reliable

    Wants/Needs:

    Due to slow speed internet, I'm ok with streaming or remote viewing being secondary. I'd like to have a dedicated hard drive and monitor. Ideally something that works within our Mac ecosystem (iOS devices, Macbook Pros).

    It appears that PoE won't work at the distance I need. Do I need to look at an RG6 direct bury coax with power?

    I'm fairly handy, or at least willing to spend the time to get it right. So I'd love any suggestions for a system or DIY that I could compile together to build out.

    submitted by /u/mostlybald
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for indoor continuous recording cameras

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I am looking for a recommendation for indoor cameras to keep an eye on home care workers caring for a disabled and nonverbal family member at home.
    Here are the features I am looking for: * Continuous recording, not just motion-activated * Ability to view in real time over WiFi * Records to SD card, or records to cloud with SD backup (if WiFi goes down) * Can store multiple days of recordings * Ability to view recordings in fast forward mode * Battery backup (so cameras don't immediately turn off if caregivers unplug them)

    Here are some nonessential but nice-to-have features: * Ability to connect multiple cameras to an associated app (looking to have at least 3 cameras throughout the house) * Wide field of vision (>90 degrees, closer to 180) * Audio recording (I would, of course, disclose to the caregivers that there is visual and audio recording taking place) * Easy install that does not require an electrician running new wires through the house

    Discrete appearance is not necessary. I am upfront with caregivers about cameras and recording, and think visibility provides some deterrence to bad behavior.

    I currently have a couple of cameras that record in 30-second motion-activated clips. Because this is an in-home setting, there is often some motion occurring, which results in numerous separate clips that need to be be selected one by one for playback and are tedious to review. Biggest priority for a new camera system is being able to fast forward through a continuous recording to quickly review the day.

    Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Fancy_Praline_8442
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment